• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [September] Now Voting - Post 878!

While not strictly indie games, PC Gamer put together a good list of free games over the weekend:
The 50 best free PC games

A lot of good underappreciated gems in there, and a few new names that I'm going to have to try out.
One Chance - everyone here should give that game a try. It's quite powerful.

Zineth - a lot of fun, definitely should be played

Toribash - one of my all time freeware favorites

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So much for PES and GTA. My PS3 couldnt have lived another 2 months, couldnt it? Sigh.

It was a good time, old friend.

So much for PES and GTA. My PS3 couldnt have lived another 2 months, couldnt it? Sigh.

It was a good time, old friend.
Oh no, your PS3 died? You were playing GTA V? Damn, sorry man

I had a similar scare where my PS3 wouldn't read any discs or would just freeze. This was around when Uncharted 3 came out so you imagine how pissed I was.

Underrail on Early Access
http://store.steampowered.com/app/250520/

Underrail is an old school turn-based isometric indie role playing game that focuses on exploration and combat.

The game is set in a distant future, when the life on the Earth’s surface has long since been made impossible and the remnants of humanity now dwell in the Underrail, a vast system of metro station-states that, it seems, are the last bastions of a fading race.

ss_e6e6e8368e909e7e9d7c78cca98c004ba694a0b8.1920x1080.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh no, your PS3 died? You were playing GTA V? Damn, sorry man

I had a similar scare where my PS3 wouldn't read any discs or would just freeze. This was around when Uncharted 3 came out so you imagine how pissed I was.

Not even sure I can get my savegames from the console :(
Hoping for the best tomorrow.

Hofmann

Not even sure I can get my savegames from the console :(
Hoping for the best.

That's bummer, sorry to hear. I hope my old fatty will stay with me a bit longer as I have few games I still want to try, like Datura and Pixeljunk 4am.

Toma

That's bummer, sorry to hear. I hope my old fatty will stay with me a bit longer as I have few games I still want to try, like Datura and Pixeljunk 4am.

If it happened 1 week earlier, I wouldnt even bother replacing it for now, but having spent 120$ on games last week that I now cant play annoys me greatly.

r3n4ud

If it happened 1 week earlier, I wouldnt even bother replacing it for now, but having spent 120$ on games last week that I now cant play annoys me greatly.
Sorry to hear Toma :/

Same thing happened with me and my Xbox last week. Picked up NHL 14 and Diablo 3. Played one hockey game. Next day, Xbox turns on, then off five seconds after. Left it unplugged overnight, same deal. Ya, now I have two new games and I don't see myself picking up another system for awhile...

---------------

On another note, thanks for those screenshots More_Badass. Always nice to check out new games.

rybrad

Little Nemo: The Dream Master - A reimagining of the 1990 game Little Nemo: The Dream Master, with an all new story based on the comic strip Little Nemo in Slumberland by Winsor McCay.
Oh man I LOVED the Little Nemo movie and game as a kid, going to have to check this out.

Edit: And laziest website of the year award goes to Dream Crafter Studios. All background images on empty div tags and they couldn't even bother to make an image map for their Twitter handle to link.
No Treasure Adventure Game on that list. *closes tab*
I agree, Treasure Adventure Game was awesome. I hope that Treasure Adventure World picks up some more steam, their pre-order/crowd-funding isn't taking off like I thought it would.

r3n4ud

Anyone try Castle Story? Looks quite neat. It's on Early Access.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/227860/

Castle Story is a creative voxel-based strategy game in which you can build castles one brick at a time using an army of little characters called Bricktrons.

Your goal will be to explore a vast landscape full of mysteries and dangers, and defend your castle against onslaughts of hostile creatures and possibly other players.

ss_f0bbaf846346c446bb1d65cb3368345e754fb23c.600x338.jpg

r3n4ud

Looks like Minecraft + tower defense with realistic physics. Wishlisted

More interested in Underrail. Any impressions of that?

Looks real good, and priced right as well. Castle Story is priced a little high :/

If anyone has any impressions on either, we'd love to hear them!

Toma

Castle Story is priced a little high :/

Looks like Minecraft + tower defense with realistic physics. Wishlisted

Don't.

Looks real good, and priced right as well.
Do.

Castle Story is a mess that doesnt have much content and isnt fun, while Underrail is a great throwback to older classical RPG games like Fallout. I was really surprised at the content and quality of Underrail.

rybrad

PSA for Underrail, if you bought the Groupees Greenlight Bundle #1, Underrail was a bonus and will be getting a Steam key.

r3n4ud

Thanks Toma. Glad I held off on Castle Story. Really hope the game turns out to be something special as I really like the concept of the game.

Ibuki

Banned
Thanks Toma. Glad I held off on Castle Story. Really hope the game turns out to be something special as I really like the concept of the game.

I appreciate that advice as well. I was trying to decide between Castle Story and Sir, You Are Being Hunted. I will look back into CS later down the road.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand the logic in Naya's Quest. I didn't play for more than 14 minutes, but I couldn't understand how to read which way to go based on the shadow the device makes. I brute force trial and errored my way through a few levels and then quit. I'm not missing something crazy obvious am I? I sware I am smrat.

I don't understand the logic in Naya's Quest. I didn't play for more than 14 minutes, but I couldn't understand how to read which way to go based on the shadow the device makes. I brute force trial and errored my way through a few levels and then quit. I'm not missing something crazy obvious am I? I sware I am smrat.

I kind of did the same, I never really made a 3D model of the maps in my head, so I basically just mashed on the scanner until I found another platform within walking/jumping distance. Later in the game there are some new mechanics that I found made it easier to visualize the 3D space, but until then it seemed easier to just spam the scanner.

PSA for Underrail, if you bought the Groupees Greenlight Bundle #1, Underrail was a bonus and will be getting a Steam key.

Ahh fantastic, totally forgot I brought that one. With Underrail and La-Mulana being in that bundle it's paying itself off triple fold.

nonadventurer

Neo Member

The writing is a bit bland (not bad, just a bit too neutral/sterile, I guess), but otherwise I had a blast with the version I played a couple of months ago. Great Fallout-like combat, character development and exploration. Definitely recommended.

Toma

Voting!

RULES THIS MONTH IN SHORT: Up to 10 games, at least 4.

Why?
Because we want to offer people who first step into the thread an easy go-to list for great games. Plus it gives more attention to the titles that really deserve it.

How?
Everyone votes on his top 10 games out of the ones that already have been released AND are mentioned in the OP (So everything in Post 2). I'll tally the results and put the best 5 in the next thread. A minimum voting count of 4 is required. Feel free to vote for games that you deem "important" or the ones that you enjoyed the most. Since this is a rather communicative thread, feel free to include a short description why these games ended up on your list or a "honorable" mention if you feel that one game deserves another mention even though it wont count for your list. That way it would also make it interesting to read which games we should check out that others might have enjoyed. You dont need to "rank" the 10 games. Every list entry gets 1 point for the overall ranking.

When?
This thread is still open until the end of the month, so you can drop your list in here whenever you want. You can also change your list up to the last day. I wont start the count before the last day of the month, so everyone has still time to revise their lists and play some games. Speaking of which, if you dont even KNOW 7 games to vote for, there are plenty free games in the OP to check out. Most of which are rather short too. Use the remaining week to catch up with 1 or 2 titles you didnt get around to yet!

Which?
Since the list got rather long, here is the complete list of games to vote for for this month:

A Good Husband - Free (PC)
Assault Android Cactus - Free Demo/ $14,99 for Beta (PC, Mac, Linux)
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - $14,99 (PC)
Cloudberry Kingdom - $9,99 (PC, PSN, XBLA, Wii U)
Constant C - $9,99 (PC)
Deios - Free Demo (PC)
Divekick - $9,99 (PC, PSN)
Doorways - $9,99 for the Beta (PC, Mac, Linux)
Dream - $14,99 (PC)
Electronic Super Joy - $7.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
Finding Teddy - Free Demo (PC, Linux)
Frogatto & Friends - Free Demo / $8,99 (PC, Mac)
Gone Home - $19,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
Guacamelee - $14,99 (PC, PSN)
Icarus Proudbottom Teaches Typing - Free (PC, Browser)
Legend of Dungeon - $9,99 for the Beta (PLAT)
Life Goes On - Free Demo (PC, Mac, Linux)
Lily Looking Through - Free Demo (PC, Mac, Linux)
Mouse Craft - Free Beta/ PWYW > $1 (PC)
Neverending Nightmares - Free Demo (PC)
Nihilumbra - Free Demo/ $9,99 Preorder (PC, Mac, Linux)
Oknytt - $9,99 (PC)
Papers, Please! - Free Beta/ $8,99 (PC, Mac)
Papo & Yo - $12,99 (PC, Consoles)
Pid - Free Demo/ $9,99 (PC)
Postmortem - Free (PC)
Procyon - Free Demo / $4,99 (PC)
qrth-phyl -$5 (PC,XBIG)
Savant Ascent - $2 (PC, iOS, Android)
Schein - Free Demo (PC)
Shelter - $9,99 (PC)
Sir, You are being hunted - $19,99 (PC)
Skullgirls - $14,99 (PC, XBLA, PSN)
skyRogue - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)
Slayin' - Free (PC)
Soulcaster II - $3,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
SpeedRunners - §9,99 for the Beta (PC)
Spelunky - $14,99 (PC, XBLA)
Starsector - $10 during Beta @ 50% off (PC, Mac, Linux)
Teslagrad - Free Demo (PC, Mac, Linux)
Unholy Heights - Free Demo / $4 (PC)
Xenominers - Free Demo/ $4,49 (PC)
You Still Won't Make It - Free Demo/ $4,99 (PC, Mac)
Zafehouse Diaries - Free Demo/ $9,99 (PC)

Ohh damn, I need to get my opening post game impressions done if we are voting already. I got 2 more updates to go although 1 is pretty much done and will up online this evening probably.

1. Spelunky
A masterful hybrid of roguelike and platformer that succeeds wonderfully at both. Vibrant, mysterious, hard as hell, exciting, infinitely replayable, addictive, fun
ss_e23190283d54bd6a5765976bb52938cb997195d4.1920x1080.jpg

2. Assault Android Cactus
A fast, frenetic, fun mix of dual stick and bullet hell chaos. Plays like a dream, there's more depth and strategy than you might expect, and the amount of bullets and enemies and overal activity on screen at once never ceases to impress
vespula_wasp.gif

3. Teslagrad
A day one purchase for me. The demo was fantastic, the art style is awesome, and the platforming is challenging. Teleporting around just feels awesome and there is an excellent foundation for some insane puzzles and platforming

4. Constant C
Tons of content, a brutally hard mix of precision platforming, gravity manipulation, and time control. You will die...a lot but the satisfaction of completing a challenging level is great.

5. Pid
6. Legend of Dungeon
7. Electronic Super Joy
8. Neverending Nightmares (demo)
9. Nihilumbra
10. Slayin'

Wok

• Gone Home: if nobody spoils the story, and if you can play it in one sitting, you will really get into the game. The game has the best features of Bioshock and Dear Esther, plus intricated stories to unravel with lots of clues everywhere.
  • Guacamelee: although the game looks quite unpromising at first (another cartoony metroidvania), there is a good gameplay, the fighting and the platforming parts are deeper and harder than what you would have expected. A really good surprise.
  • Pid: the controls do not feel right for a platformer, but the level design is clever and the graphics are charming. Moreover, the game mechanic is really good.
  • Spelunky: I have been playing this game everyday since it was released in August. Infuriating at first, but deeply addictive with its daily challenges. There is a great feeling because each playthrough is short (so dying is less painful) and yours skills do improved the more you play.
I have played other games as well, but I don't like them as much as these four.

Edit: I did not know there was a demo for Nihilumbra.
http://nihibrowser.dx.am/demo.html

Nabs

Divekick: A two button fighting game with mind games for days. I still find myself playing for hours with friends. Don't think you need a fighting game background to enjoy this.
Skullgirls: A great game with amazing art/animation. There's a lot of love put in this.
Speedrunners: A fast-paced racing game with swinging, rockets, and other goodies. It's a ton of fun, but it's still in an early state. Keep this one on your wishlist.
Pid: I liked it. It does begin to drag towards the end, but there's a lot of good content here.

I know this is for the next thread, but I want to show some love to Volgarr the Viking. This might be my GotY. Volgarr has amazing level design and it controls like a beast. It might take an hour to get through a level, but you'll master it in that time. Don't be put off by the difficulty, it's not so hard when you know how to deal with the stuff in front of you.

I know this is for the next thread, but I want to show some love to Volgarr the Viking. This might be my GotY. Volgarr has amazing level design and it controls like a beast. It might take an hour to get through a level, but you'll master it in that time. Don't be put off by the difficulty, it's not so hard when you know how to deal with the stuff in front of you.

I finished that last night, found it highly enjoyable and would recommend it to anyone. Probably going to go for a no-load run as soon as I've built up enough Norse courage.

• Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons: One of, if not the best example of marrying gameplay with narrative in a cohesive and satisfying way. The puzzle may be simple, but Starbreeze builds off of them in clever ways while avoiding repetition and showing on-screen tutorials following the prologue. It's a short and well realized puzzle platformer that uses its concept to its fullest and provides an emotionally resonant story that expresses itself through gameplay rather than through a cutscene.
  • Divekick: Fighting games distilled into their most simple and accessible form. The art isn't much to write home about and some may be turned off by the FGC in-jokes, but its core two button gameplay is what truly shines. I can imagine this would be a great party game.
  • Guacamelee: While I may not be a fan of Drinkbox's approach to metroidvania world design and its unsatisfying currency system, Guacamelee still has many forward thinking and well executed ideas that most independent metroidvania games lack. For one, the platforming is surprisingly challenging; testing the player through its dimension switching mechanic. And the combat is also far from basic with a variety of moves that are at the player's disposal.
  • Papers, Please!: Oppressive atmosphere, challenging moral scenarios, and simple yet effective art make for a surprisingly addicting and mechanically driven game about an immigrant inspector going about his day to day routine in a third world country. Papers, Please is small in scale at the outset, but gradually becomes more demanding and wide spread as it introduces new rules and mechanics that you need to adapt to in order to survive. The many scenarios that you occur over a playthrough only make things more hectic as you must decide what is right and what will help you survive long enough to work another day. Who knew tedious work could be so fun?!
  • Spelunky: One of my favorite downloadable releases of 2012 finally returns to its home platform. Spelunky has plenty of charm and challenge; however, its tight platforming controls and attention to detail are what keeps me coming back for multi-hour play sessions. Who knows what you'll find on your way down to the City of Gold.
  • Legend of Dungeon: A nice little roguelike with a 2D beat 'em up format and plenty of random loot to discover. Combat is as simplistic as you can expect from a beat 'em up, but the lighting system coupled with the crazy spell items you can find make the game stand out visually. Also, you can let a cat sit on your head and wear it as a hat.
---

Hooray, a month where I actually played a good chunk of the games able to be voted on! Like Wok, I played or have played other optional games in the past. I just wasn't fond enough of them to put them on the list. I'm still meaning to finally play Gone Home as well as checking out Sir, You Are Being Hunted and Teslagrad at some point.

Goddamn, that's one tough voting list. Might as well be my GOTY list in there. Need to play the whole list like last month to hopefully get some unexpected pleasant surprises (Fran Bow, Tessalation, 1000 Amps, Against the Wall, Gateways).

Papers, Please!: Oppressive atmosphere, challenging moral scenarios, and simple yet effective art make for a surprisingly addicting and mechanically driven game about an immigrant inspector going about his day to day routine in a third world country. Papers, Please is small in scale at the outset, but gradually becomes more demanding and wide spread as it introduces new rules and mechanics that you need to adapt to in order to survive. The many scenarios that you occur over a playthrough only make things more hectic as you must decide what is right and what will help you survive long enough to work another day. Who knew tedious work could be so fun?!
Still need to get this. How's the replay value?

And no one else showing love for AAC?

Still need to get this. How's the replay value?

And no one else showing love for AAC?

There are 20 individual endings that you can get that usually are dependent on how you approach the various scenarios and whatnot. It's less random than I'd like, but I think the replay value is still strong.

Twinduct

Hmm Proven lands reminds me about another game, but forgot the name. Also an indie game in dev about terraforming a planet or something in that line. Think it had a focus on exploration rather than conflict. Game looked gorgeous but forgot the name :<

Interference
IndieDB Page
TIGSource Forum

Interference is a Stealth Puzzle Platformer with a gameplay mechanic similar to that of Rubik's Cube which lets you modify its levels' architecture. Fast stealth gameplay, no way to kill, run and hide, you must sneak through the guts of this technoir metropolis. Join the Interferers and redraw reality!

The city will be divided in 4 districts connected to each other, and each district will have a main area and sub-areas (for some missions or as connection to other areas).

For Windows and OSX first, then Mobiles, end of 2013 / beginning of 2014

gifprev01.gif

characEvolution.jpg

puzzleGlitch.jpg

Cth

VOTING!

Assault Android Cactus - Free Demo/ $14,99 for Beta (PC, Mac, Linux)
Finding Teddy - Free Demo (PC, Linux)
Gone Home - $19,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
Guacamelee - $14,99 (PC, PSN)
Icarus Proudbottom Teaches Typing - Free (PC, Browser)
Legend of Dungeon - $9,99 for the Beta (PLAT)
Lily Looking Through - Free Demo (PC, Mac, Linux)
Pid - Free Demo/ $9,99 (PC)
Postmortem - Free (PC)
Spelunky - $14,99 (PC, XBLA)

Reviews earlier in the thread, will try to repost them here.

Claire available to pre-order on Desura
http://www.desura.com/games/claire

Claire is lost and terrified as she and her dog find themselves in a warped reality that is a nightmarish reflection of their own. Alone and hunted from an unknown force lurking in the darkness, Claire's only hope comes from helping the forlorn people she comes across. But as Claire searches for a way out, she begins to unravel a connection between herself, the people she is trying to redeem and the force stalking her from the shadows.

- Play as Claire through multiple ages of her life.
- Future custom-level creation content.
- Use light-based weapons to fight off the shadows.
- Panic level-based sounds and visuals.
- Work together with Claire's pet German Shepherd
- Survival horror elements such as needing to find caffeien and panic items.
- Talk to and try to redeem people you come across with multiple dialogue options.
- Multiple endings based on your choices and redemption.
- Multiple game difficulties. Nightmare Mode, NewGame+

ClaireScreen2.jpg

ClaireRocker.jpg

Top Bottom