• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [September] Now Voting - Post 878!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Alright, since my PS3 is unusable right now, I have some time to start preparing the next thread now.

Dont forget to vote guys!

Edit: Huge thanks again to people helping to compile these lists, especially via finding interesting games or crossposting from smaller deicated Indie threads on Gaf that I would otherwise miss completely.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
ibmMG97KA9TuLq.jpg

While this isn't the most usual indie game, I'm somewhat compelled to mention Bear Stearns Bravo. Part of a 5 year ARG campaign between the PronunciationBook youtube channel and horse_ebooks twitter account, Bear Stearns Bravo harkens back to a certain era of game that apes the Choose Your Own Adventure novels of the 80s and 90s which in itself was aping RPGs. The characters, dialog, and production values all scream intentional cheese which is going to turn some off. It's the kind of feeling you get when you look at those fake early 90s websites with the shitty star background and the terrible gifs and marquee scrolling text, but live.

is2UtUjXGMEhK.gif

The setup kinda reminds me of Max Headroom with a tad bit of police procedural added to it. Some political statements being made rather hamfisted but the 80s scifi elements kind of speak to a part of my brain that gets a kick out of things like Vaporwave. You watch a live action video that occasionally gives you a choice on something to do. Your choices may have an effect on your later episodes, no one can really say for sure where this is all leading or how far deep the hole goes.

iTnGnLPO9W89R.gif

The first episode is completely free to play, the second episode requires a purchase of $7 and you can apparently play on the side of the Regulators or Bankers. It's hard to say if it's worth the money at the moment, its wacky and over the top charm make it difficult to assess if this series has legs or not. I'm still mulling over if I'm going to drop the $7 on it when there are some other games that I could put that money towards. Some of the dialog choices are pretty great but I have yet to go back and see how any of them really affect the way the story goes. I think I could enjoy more episodes depending on where the whole financial conspiracy angle takes us, but again the first episode makes me feel conflicted between enjoying the intended corny production values vs taking it as a campy old school ride. Consider me on the middle ground for this one, fellas.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
While this isn't the most usual indie game, I'm somewhat compelled to mention Bear Stearns Bravo. Part of a 5 year ARG campaign between the PronunciationBook youtube channel and horse_ebooks twitter account, Bear Stearns Bravo harkens back to a certain era of game that apes the Choose Your Own Adventure novels of the 80s and 90s which in itself was aping RPGs. The characters, dialog, and production values all scream intentional cheese which is going to turn some off. It's the kind of feeling you get when you look at those fake early 90s websites with the shitty star background and the terrible gifs and marquee scrolling text, but live.

The setup kinda reminds me of Max Headroom with a tad bit of police procedural added to it. Some political statements being made rather hamfisted but the 80s scifi elements kind of speak to a part of my brain that gets a kick out of things like Vaporwave. You watch a live action video that occasionally gives you a choice on something to do. Your choices may have an effect on your later episodes, no one can really say for sure where this is all leading or how far deep the hole goes.

The first episode is completely free to play, the second episode requires a purchase of $7 and you can apparently play on the side of the Regulators or Bankers. It's hard to say if it's worth the money at the moment, its wacky and over the top charm make it difficult to assess if this series has legs or not. I'm still mulling over if I'm going to drop the $7 on it when there are some other games that I could put that money towards.

1. No screenshot
2. You forgot to mention whether you enjoyed the first one or are only lukewarm to it :p Your text could fit for both.

Toma, got space for another game in October's thread?

Tri
IndieDB
Desura
Trailer

TRI is a first-person 3D game with environmental puzzles and an immersive atmosphere. Experimentation is the key, thus players can create their own geometry to solve puzzles and reach hidden places in weird constructions.

- freeform 3D platformer
- build triangles to overcome abysses, reach unknown places, and walk on the walls and the ceiling
- control light rays and destroy obstacles with dangerous lasers
- explore the dungeons of TRI, collect treasures and solve puzzles

wallpaper01.jpg

screenshot-040.jpg

tri_2013-09-23_12-07-16-89.png
I just learned about it today, but surprisingly it has a really good rating on Desura (9.3 average of 30 ratings). I might get it once I finish Escape Goat

Hofmann

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| 6. Recently released Indies! |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oknytt - $9,99 (PC)
oLjTnwV.png

http://www.desura.com/games/oknytt

Oknytt is a point-and-click adventure game where the player takes the role of a small, seemingly insignificant creature, leading it through a dark world riddled with obstacles to help it find a place to belong

It looks like it's a part of the upcoming Groupees Build A Bundle 7.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=83609873&postcount=3519

Toma

Have we touched on Hot Tin Roof yet?

Kickstarter | Greenlight | Trailer

Hot Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore A Fedora is a single-player game aimed at PC / Mac / Linux.

On the one hand, it's a noir side-scrolling adventure platformer, stuffed with style and charm.
You're Emma Jones - a two bit gal in an 8-bit world - and you're the Private Investigator on a string of grisly murders.
You'll run, jump and climb through a massive 3D city (it's not just a flat sideways plane), sleuthing up clues and tracking down the killer.

On the other hand, it's Metroidvania inspired - but with more of the Metroid, less of the vania. It's an explorable city with soul!
Full of characters to chat up and secrets to explore, it's not just a corridor you fight through on your way to your next ability.

----

It sounds and looks cool. Here's hoping they are able to gain funding and release a good game.

4 days left, funded now. Repost in case people were interested.

Screenshot, gifs and slightly more fleshed out impressions for Bear Stearns Bravo posted.

Toma, I noticed you bought Ironclad Tastics. Hope you'll post some detailed impressions at some point. I've had my eye on that game for awhile.

Toma

Toma, I noticed you bought Ironclad Tastics. Hope you'll post some detailed impressions at some point. I've had my eye on that game for awhile.

I am being stalked :p I'll post impressions eventually, but I wanted to get some work on next months thread done before I dive into it.

Incognita update!
Improved procedural map generation
Shop item
Agent revival via adrenaline syringes
Many small UI improvements
Refined combat mechanics and new combat panel presentation
Continuous floor(level) advancement
Options menu with volume control.
New agent animation effects such as "pinning" when standing on a KOed guard.
Update timer added to the main menu.

Toma

8 pages done, 13/17 games for october for now.

Toma

Quick and dirty: Ironclad Tactics is great. I am not sure about the value/game length ratio yet but its quite amazing how deep the customization tactics can go if you try to equip a deck for a certain level or even a certain task within a level to unlock more cards.

Setting is cool, the story comic is very well made and the deck building painless. Didnt try the MP yet, but the game is great fun.

I expect to write some more in depth impressions in the next few days and might throw up an OT for it while I am at it.

allansm

1) Gone Home
2) Guacamelee
3) Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
4) Pid
5) Skullgirls
6) Papo & Yo
7) Lily Looking Through
8) Spelunky
9) Divekick

Now I need to go back to Europa Universalis IV.

Burt

Quick and dirty: Ironclad Tactics is great. I am not sure about the value/game length ratio yet but its quite amazing how deep the customization tactics can go if you try to equip a deck for a certain level or even a certain task within a level to unlock more cards.

Setting is cool, the story comic is very well made and the deck building painless. Didnt try the MP yet, but the game is great fun.

I expect to write some more in depth impressions in the next few days and might throw up an OT for it while I am at it.
As long as we're on quick and dirty: if they're at all comparable and you've played both, how does it stack up against Scrolls? They seem conceptually similar (card/deck-based tactics game) and I don't know which to dive into first. I feel like Mojang has the resources to deliver a better emergent product over the long run, but I'll gladly get Ironclad over it if it's better now.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Votes!

Deios: Glitchdream slipstream of consciousness supreme. Traversing a distorted pixelated world that barks psudo-religious wordsoup at you with strange phrasings that barely made it through the fabric of reality let alone the taiwanese>french>german>english translation. Charming in the way that E.Y.E. is with its confused ramblings. Nothing makes sense here and you're not welcome.

Dream: Looks to be an introspective little title that combines bits of Dear Esther with a more put together narrative and various locations. Hoffman warned that it was a very early product right now but I feel like the final may still be one of the more important interactive arts of the year.

Gone Home: A story from the heart, one of the most human plots in a game yet. Its use of notes and audio logs is incredible and goes against the typically groanworthy exposition grain. Everything explained here is engaging and heart wrenching, and watching events unfold for each family member really shows off the destruction of the family unit. Working on a full review of this hopefully due out by the end of the week.

Papers, Please!: Very densely packed puzzler with a flair for introducing new mechanics while ramping up the plot drama expertly. I never felt frustrated with the game and I never got wrenched out due to some atmosphere-breaking experience. Tense thriller with lots of replay value. I covered this one more in depth.

Sir, You are Being Hunted!: I - Don't like your tweed, sir!
Will - Teach you the professor's ready!
Not - Let's see who strikes the loudest!
Lose - Put on my fighting trousers!

Te
leglitch

Voting

• Assault Android Cactus: Amazing twin stick shooter with unstopable action and with mechanics reward you for getting into the fight.
  • Finding Teddy: A cute adventure game with a beautiful pixel art.
  • Icarus Proudbottom Teaches Typing: This game was one of the surprises for me, I wasnt expecting have so much fun with it.
  • Lily Looking Through: Another adventure game with a beautiful art and interesting mechanics.
  • Skullgirls: A 2D fighting game with unique characters, great art style and the best tutorial of a fighting game.
  • Papers, Please!: One of the best experiences I had.

Honorable Mentions
  • A Good husband
  • Deios
  • skyRogue
  • Slayin'

Regarding AAC, is there an alternate name for the genre when it's on PC? Sounds weird to describe a game as "twin stick" when you using WASD and a mouse

Hey, found an awesome hidden gem on IOS. Like literally no reviews anywhere, not even a thread in the Toucharcade forums (not till 5 minutes ago).

Bridge to the Moon
iTunes
Trailer
Run, jump and shoot orbs out of a matter gun while dodging the likes of hostile pterodactyl farmers and government robots in this action puzzler. Your bridge to the moon has been overtaken by enemies, and time is running out!

- Pixel animations, characters and backgrounds, hand drawn with love.
- A variety of enemies to avoid, from bi-pedal missile toting robots to explosive pterodactyl eggs
- Puzzles and levels that don't hold your hand. Explore solutions for maps and dangers on how to proceed.
- Use your enemies. Squatters on your bridge have set up a plethora of traps, but you can guide missiles and robots to areas to break walls and open new parts of the map.
- No in-app purchases.

screen568x568.jpeg

screen568x568.jpeg
It's from the devs behind the upcoming Isle of Bxnes, a prehistoric action RPG with randomized maps, permadeath, and a legacy system.

Toma

As long as we're on quick and dirty: if they're at all comparable and you've played both, how does it stack up against Scrolls? They seem conceptually similar (card/deck-based tactics game) and I don't know which to dive into first. I feel like Mojang has the resources to deliver a better emergent product over the long run, but I'll gladly get Ironclad over it if it's better now.

Scrolls isnt a bad game either, but I guess it comes down to whether you are more interested in MP with the option to improve your decks by paying money or whether you are more interested in an extensive campaign with different level challenges and the added bonus of MP games.

Also, Ironclad has a timer ticking down until every unit moves, which might not be to everyones tastes, and while I thought that this might be an issue intially (because I very much like strict turn based games), it actually comes together quite nicely once you play the first few levels and start building your deck. I dont have a particular fondness for Mojang games and the fact that they could change the monetization model whenever isnt all that enticing to me.

Just speaking for me here: Ironclad is a Zachtronics game (Spacechem <3), so I wanted to support them because they deserve/need the support more than Mojang in my opinion.

Wok

Scrolls isnt a bad game either, but I guess it comes down to whether you are more interested in MP with the option to improve your decks by paying money or whether you are more interested in an extensive campaign with different level challenges and the added bonus of MP games.

One of my friends who is usually enthusiastic for strategy games was bored of Scrolls because of the long time he would need before being able to make his own deck. This is true Scrolls is disappointing because there is too much grinding for gold (if you don't want to spend your real money on shards).

I’ve only put three hours into Ironclad Tactic, but I’m having a lot of fun with it. The basic game is this mix of card battler and tabletop wargame where you have to summon these war machines and drive them over the grid map to the opponents side before they do the same to you. The thing that stops it from being all out mad is you get action points every turn which dictates how strong the cards you can use are. The thing that caught me off guard which I hated first but now kinda love is the entire game is played in realtime despite being turn based. The turns process automatically moving over different periods where the units move, attack etc and you have to keep up with the automatic speed because if you don’t perform your actions in time you basically miss a turn, although you are able to queue up actions and each turn has enough downtime that once you get you head around the system I doubt you would ever miss a turn by mistake. I don’t anymore and I am pretty slow with this kinda stuff.

Like all random card games this can sometimes suffer from the issue of ill hands. If it takes you 10 cards before you draw a unit you could end up with the computer with 2-3 Ironclad already halfway across the map and once you get map control it is very difficult to pull victory back from that, especially in the early game when you haven’t unlocked any of the cards that can counter that. Also, this isn’t an issue for me because I like the simplicity of this, but you only get 20 cards in a deck so there is a fairly low limit on how complex the deck building gets.

Overall though, I would say it’s a real cool game with a lot of potential character and strategy and there is a ton of single player content here to roll through.

Toma

One of my friends who is usually enthusiastic for strategy games was bored of Scrolls because of the long time he would need before being able to make his own deck. This is true Scrolls is disappointing because there is too much grinding for gold (if you don't want to spend your real money on shards).

Yeah, it has the P2W aspect, even if its lower than in other similar games. So go for Ironclad! No monetization! :p But seriously, I'll write up better impressions of Ironclad eventually and explain how the game works.

Edit: OFN did already write a bit!

Moobabe

Voting!

Gone Home

Guacamelee

Sir, You Are Being Hunted

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Spelunky

I'll come back an edit in some reasons soon - but I'd imagine most people here have played the majority of my votes.

Voting!

Gone Home

Guacamelee

Sir, You Are Being Hunted

Spelunky

I'll come back an edit in some reasons soon - but I'd imagine most people here have played the majority of my votes.
Cough haven't played any cough....

But I've read enough and seen enough to know why they're so acclaimed

@Junko

Thanks for Underrail, really appreciate it. It's really good. A lot of depth and the world is interesting and intriguing. It's a game I'm definitely going to put a lot of time into.

I guess if I enjoy this, I'll love the old school Fallouts. Have to get those as well

Toma

@Junko

Thanks for Underrail, really appreciate it. It's really good. A lot of depth and the world is interesting and intriguing. It's a game I'm definitely going to put a lot of time into.

I guess if I enjoy this, I'll love the old school Fallouts. Have to get those as well

Geez, yes play them. Immediately. You should start learning how to play 4 games at once. :p

Voting

Deios
Gone Home
Guacamelee
Life Goes On
Neverending Nightmares
Papers, Please!
Procyon
SpeedRunners
Spelunky

Honourable Mentions

Assault Android Cactus
Icarus Proudbottom Teaches Typing
Postmortem
Frogatto & Friends
Starsector
Nihilumbra

Someone told me to create an Ironclad army, and so I did:

Bloody hell, that's quite a lead. Have you unlocked multiples of the armoured Ironclad? That is a fairly useful card but I've only got one of them for upgrading the large Ironclads and I could really use some more.

Ashodin

Yep, APEXICON is coming to PC as well, and here's the first screenshot.

JVu3pjcl.png

aABxU1Ll.png

Still preliminary PC UI, but there will be more soon! I plan to make this the demo available for the kickstarter.

A kickstarter that seems to be promising:

Citizens of Earth

A modern RPG that places you in the shoes of the Vice President of the World and all of the heroes are regular people!

It’s an RPG that places you in the shoes of the Vice President of the World! Citizens of Earth combines the modern setting and humorous tone of Earthbound with the recruitment mechanics of games like Pokemon and Suikoden. Rather than recruiting fantasy heroes to your cause, however, Citizens of Earth is all about bringing regular characters into the spotlight as heroes. Instead of warriors and mages and other such fantasy tropes in your party, you’ll be fighting with a Baker, Used Car Salesman, School Teacher, Yoga Instructor, and so on. The characters that would normally be NPCs in other RPGs become the heroes in Citizens of Earth!

Gameplay Video
83413d0c7f4a0cc713677d9c76ae1df9_large.png

3391994685ab193d311c8f398131a722_large.png

Kickstarter Page
Neogaf thread

Toma

Bloody hell, that's quite a lead. Have you unlocked multiples of the armoured Ironclad? That is a fairly useful card but I've only got one of them for upgrading the large Ironclads and I could really use some more.

Yep, got four of them. You can get them in the first few levels. Cant tell you which anymore though. Probably the same level you got the first card OR the next level.

Some games that are likely coming to the IGS Store or whose devs are interested:

Skipping Stones
Race The Sun
Tower of Guns
Tri
Inescapable
Claire

CzarTim

Divekick - I don't like fighting games as memorizing move lists isn't really my cup-of-tea. Divekick takes the grunt work out of fighting games, just leaving the fun.

Starsector - While not quite yet there, this game has an enormous amount potential.

Papers, Please! - Great artwork and innovative story telling.

Cloudberry Kingdom - Procedurally generated fun.

can somebody help with this japanese error message ?

i was playing japanese indie game demon king chronicle (great, great game btw) but i can't get past this error

C0v0O4U.jpg

it probably does say that it can't load a background, because "panoramas" is a folder with images. It's strange, because i am near the end of the game and it never crashed before.

The game was made with rpg maker. Maybe it's because the backgrounds files are in japanese but i don't have the japanese language pack so the characters aren't displayed correctly ? but if it so why it didn't happened before..

thanks in advance.

Twinduct

Hmm Proven lands reminds me about another game, but forgot the name. Also an indie game in dev about terraforming a planet or something in that line. Think it had a focus on exploration rather than conflict. Game looked gorgeous but forgot the name :<

Anyone have a clue on what game I was thinking of here?
It was a top down, semi RTS looking camera angle.

Yep, got four of them. You can get them in the first few levels. Cant tell you which anymore though. Probably the same level you got the first card OR the next level.

Well, I got my only one due to upgrading the Heavy Chassis card so it wasn't linked to a level. Although there is an early mission which involves destroying the enemy Heavy which I haven't done yet that should hopefully reveal more Armroured Chassis, they are stupidly useful in the early game when the enemy just can't deal with them.

Top Bottom