• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [September] Now Voting - Post 878!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well, I got my only one due to upgrading the Heavy Chassis card so it wasn't linked to a level. Although there is an early mission which involves destroying the enemy Heavy which I haven't done yet that should hopefully reveal more Armroured Chassis, they are stupidly useful in the early game when the enemy just can't deal with them.
Ah yeah, you are right. I think it was via leveling the ironclads.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Saw your previous post, but nothing rings a bell. Is it still in development or already released?

Well he said " Also an indie game in dev(elopment)". Can you remember whether it popped up in any of these threads?

Twinduct

Saw your previous post, but nothing rings a bell. Is it still in development or already released?

Well he said " Also an indie game in dev(elopment)". Can you remember whether it popped up in any of these threads?

Oops, should have read previous one again, lol. Maybe Godus - technically it's still in development.

Ah found it!
And it only took me 4 hours of going through my youtube history!

Unclaimed World!

Sadly it seems pretty 'dead' in a way. But looks gorgeous!

Nexus : One Core
Greenlight | IndieDB | Trailer | Demo
NeXus: One Core is an arcade game for one or two players on PC in which each player controls a spaceship. They will enter in a survival run paced by an immersive DnB Music.

We also want to offer to players an innovative and immersive multiplayer experience. For example, the co-op mode which will launch two players in a survival run. With its fusion system, players share the control of a ship and must think together to avoid obstacles and survive.

For now, NeXus: One Core contains the following modes:
CO - OP : Fusion / unfusion between the two players to overcome the obstacles.
SOLO : Switch between 3 different colors to avoid obstacles.

637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

Nabs

The Swapper is such an amazing experience. Great mechanics, puzzle design, and atmosphere. Make sure this is high up on your Steam wishlist, it's a really good one.

Toma

The Swapper is such an amazing experience. Great mechanics, puzzle design, and atmosphere. Make sure this is high up on your Steam wishlist, it's a really good one.

*goes to put it onto wishlist*
Um... why do I own that game already?

...I really hate Steam sometimes.

can somebody help with this japanese error message ?

i was playing japanese indie game demon king chronicle (great, great game btw) but i can't get past this error

C0v0O4U.jpg
"File "Graphics/Panoramas/ 空1" cannot be found."

"空" means sky, fwiw, but since it seems to be part of the actual filename, I didn't translate it.

(Also that's mostly a Google Translate job, because I suck at kanji.)

I had passed on The Swapper because according to Game Debate, I couldn't run it but I can run other games it said I couldn't, like Rochard and Sang Froid so I'm definitely going to get next time it's on sale

rybrad

I ended up grabbing Eldritch and have been enjoying the beta since it started yesterday. I haven't been able to put in a huge amount of time but so far it is the best first-person roguelike(like) I have played. I am not a big Lovecraft guy but I suspect if you enjoy the mythos you would like it even more.

While the game is a bit simpler than I prefer, I really like the "currency" system. Throughout the game you find relics and those relics are used to purchase items from the shop AND you have to spend them each time you use one of your special powers. Similar to the Souls games (yea, I hate when people say that too, sorry in advance), this system adds a nice strategic layer that forces you to manage and spend your relics in an intelligent fashion. Do you want to save all your relics and hope for good shop items or do you want to use them on special powers to help with combat and getting into places you shouldn't be?

As an additional layer to this, when you die you lose everything on your character, but throughout the levels there are chests that you can put some (or all) of your relics in. Any relics in the chest are saved and you can take them out on your future characters. The chests add a decent risk vs. reward scenario of saving for the future or risk losing them all to maybe help your current run.

I will put in some more time over the weekend (hopefully) and do a write-up of my impressions in October if one of you people who writes much better than me hasn't.

If you had to choose, Dustforce or They Bleed Pixels? Can't believe I waited this long to see if there was a Dustforce demo anywhere...and there is and it's awesome

But TBP looks really good too

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
If you had to choose, Dustforce or They Bleed Pixels? Can't believe I waited this long to see if there was a Dustforce demo anywhere...and there is and it's awesome

Something is off about the controls in TBP. The acceleration curves need some work because you slide around like an ice skater.

Dustforce is the better of the two, I think.

Nabs

I think Dustforce was really high up on my GOTY list that year, and I know the OST was #1. I'd probably tell you to grab Dustforce soon and TBP on sale. I know a lot of people who love TBP, but man, it can get tough. Some levels begin to drag once they pile on the buzz saws. Hey, at least it has a really sick Checkpoint system.

dustforce has like x250 deeper gameplay. But if you don't like speedruns, probably isn't for you.

tbp has a combat system with some good ideas, but it gets repetitive fast.

Just to throw a wench into the system, but I would go for They Bleed Pixels. Dustforce is very good, and looks pretty but once it starts to get very difficult the controls are not really tight enough to deal with it. TBP is great all through.

allansm

Can't believe I didn't notice Crawl in the OP. That looks awesome. Great pixel art, cool enemy design, really cool premise

Just look at the beautiful art and animations:

Dustforce without a doubt. TBP is an average game, if you love platformers I'll say it's worth playing in the future, but if you don't, skip it. Also, the level design, controls and the art of Dustforce are far superior to those of TBP. There is really no reason to choose TBP instead.

Toma

"Ethan: Meteor Hunter" is sold on the Humble Store for $10. There is also a kind of OT, but very poor.

There is a demo and the game will be released in October, so I think it could be featured in the next thread.

Anyone having positive impressions on it? I try to avoid putting everything into these threads, especially for titles that no one tried or has a huge interest in, because the space is a tad limited.

Wok

Gonna make it my mission to play 5 or 6 of these games tonight and write up some detailed impressions.

I'm ready.

Please try the demo:
http://www.seaven-studio.com/alpha_demo_download

Anyone having positive impressions on it? I try to avoid putting everything into these threads, especially for titles that no one tried or has a huge interest in, because the space is a tad limited.

The game will be released on the PSN as well, is sold by the Humble store, and was featured on several big websites:

Moobabe

Ok chaps I'm diving into the thread - I've put together a word document and quite fancy getting back into writing, Here's my list of "stuff to try" from this thread - warn me NOW if something on here stands out as being not worth the time.

A Good Husband
Deios
Life Goes On
Lily Looking Through
Postmortem
Outer Wilds
Teslagrad
Cart Life
Chasm
Super Hot
The last Tango
Windforge
Mirrormoon

Ok chaps I'm diving into the thread - I've put together a word document and quite fancy getting back into writing, Here's my list of "stuff to try" from this thread - warn me NOW if something on here stands out as being not worth the time.

A Good Husband
Deios
Life Goes On
Lily Looking Through
Postmortem
Outer Wilds
Teslagrad
Cart Life
Chasm
Super Hot
The last Tango
Windforge
Mirrormoon

They all are solid choices and interesting games.

Toma

A Good Husband
Deios
Life Goes On
Lily Looking Through
Postmortem
Outer Wilds
Teslagrad
Cart Life
Chasm
Super Hot
The last Tango
Windforge
Mirrormoon

I might skip a Good Husband, but its short and experimental/experiential anyway, so why not. Good list.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Looks like a new Kickstarter just sprung up:

Spark Rising: A Build + Battle Sandbox Game

Spark Rising is game that is equal parts sandbox, action and strategy, all played out from a 3rd person perspective. It draws inspiration from games like Minecraft mixed with big battles and 4x strategy fare. Thanks to our voxel game engine you can build fantastical fortresses, weapons, characters and more. CREATION for what purpose?

DESTRUCTION.

9705a5c3c50df658bb338488d1683c3f_large.jpg

They describe themselves as Minecraft meets Earth Defense Force, but they can't use it as box copy because most people never heard of EDF. It's certainly on my watchlist.

I ended up grabbing Eldritch and have been enjoying the beta since it started yesterday. I haven't been able to put in a huge amount of time but so far it is the best first-person roguelike(like) I have played. I am not a big Lovecraft guy but I suspect if you enjoy the mythos you would like it even more.

While the game is a bit simpler than I prefer, I really like the "currency" system. Throughout the game you find relics and those relics are used to purchase items from the shop AND you have to spend them each time you use one of your special powers. Similar to the Souls games (yea, I hate when people say that too, sorry in advance), this system adds a nice strategic layer that forces you to manage and spend your relics in an intelligent fashion. Do you want to save all your relics and hope for good shop items or do you want to use them on special powers to help with combat and getting into places you shouldn't be?

As an additional layer to this, when you die you lose everything on your character, but throughout the levels there are chests that you can put some (or all) of your relics in. Any relics in the chest are saved and you can take them out on your future characters. The chests add a decent risk vs. reward scenario of saving for the future or risk losing them all to maybe help your current run.

I will put in some more time over the weekend (hopefully) and do a write-up of my impressions in October if one of you people who writes much better than me hasn't.

Is the beta pretty substantial? I'm interested in giving this a shot, but I've been a little hesitant about "early access" games lately.

Jobbs

Banned
I just bought Valdis Story, and first impressions are rather good. Castlevania type game with seemingly even more RPG elements.

Surprised more people here aren't talking about it. (Unless they are and I'm just missing it)

sheaaaa

99 Levels to Hell is the next feature on IGS.

Any impressions on this? Looks interesting but you never know sometimes.

I'll second the Swapper recommendation from earlier, it's a great puzzle platformer. If you're turned off by "artsy pretentious" platformers, don't be fooled. The puzzles in Swapper are rock solid.

Toma

I am pretty dead set on making an appreciation thread on Singleplayer Trading Card Games, especially the ones with overworld, a story and/or "quests" etc. Anyone have some to name?

Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon Trading Card Game, Magic the Gathering: Shandalar are probably the prime examples because of the popularity of the real cards. Then there is stuff like Baten Kaitos and Card Hunter. Others?

Toma

14 pages for the next thread done, 24/32 games so far.

Hofmann

• Shelter – Defintely my favourite one this month. I don't remember the last time when in game death made an impact on me as big as here - it's sad and terrifying, but at the same time simple and completely natural, without any sort of external glorification. Don't expect cheap emotional manipulations, no camera tricks, no extensive score to underline the loss – life is harsh and no one really cares what you feel, but it goes on and you have to deal with everything it throws at you.
  • Postmortem – I'm really surprised it hasn't received more votes. Contrary to your average adventure game simplicity, in the way how your choices affect the outcome, this games contains a lot of depth, both when it comes to portraying an internal conflict in a country torn by a socio-economic revolution and individual people with their daily struggles, aspirations and political involvement. Poking in their lives, listening to their stories, confronting it with different point of views, unravels more and more layers to the background story and shapes the world in a really well-thought-out manner, showing that nothing is as black and white as it seems and the choice you are supposed to make won't be an easy one.
  • Papers, please – Haven't played the full version yet, but based on what I saw in the demo, it deserves a place here without a doubt, perfectly blending a goal oriented mechanics with the game's world.
  • Papo & Yo - Affected by a personal childhood experience of the game's director abusive relationship with his father, action-adventure game set in a magical world of Brazilian favelas, suffused with child's imagination, magic and visual splendor. Sometimes it tends to overexplain too much, but in the end this small gripe didn't take any enjoyment from playing it.
  • Oknytt - Just started playing it, so it may be a bit premature to place it here, but the atmosphere and the beautifully crafted world inspired by the Swedish folklore are simply amazing, so I would like it to get at least one vote.
  • Lily Looking Through - What a charming little thing it is - to think I've almost missed it. It reminds me of some of the Amanita Design works - everything is so gorgeous and well animated, making simple tasks of pointin' and clickin' a pure joyful experience, and the main character even acts on her own to make it even better and less irritating than most Adventure games where you have to click on everything every second.
  • DeioS - The game skdherg b kejvbgsdldfvkn b dfkghnbdlkvsdnhv and ndflbnn bkldfkdb kdn kldfkbnbbfkdbn dklbcv, but nklbn.dxc.v xvsigellkvbnkrln.

Oh, and if you are wondering why Brothers and Gone Home are not listed - I simply haven't got a chance to play these yet.

Toma

• DeioS - The game skdherg b kejvbgsdldfvkn b dfkghnbdlkvsdnhv and ndflbnn bkldfkdb kdn kldfkbnbbfkdbn dklbcv, but nklbn.dxc.v xvsigellkvbnkrln.

You glitched out.

Wok

I swear I have no idea what you mean by that.

This is what you wrote:
D[B]e[/B]i[B]oS[/B] for DeioS
instead of:
[B]Deios[/B] for Deios

and then, the language is strange:
The game skdherg b kejvbgsdldfvkn b dfkghnbdlkvsdnhv and ndflbnn bkldfkdb kdn kldfkbnbbfkdbn dklbcv, but nklbn.dxc.v xvsigellkvbnkrln.

Toma

This is what you wrote:
D[B]e[/B]i[B]oS[/B] for DeioS
instead of:
[B]Deios[/B] for Deios

and then, the language is strange:

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. I wasnt quite sure what exactly felt off there.

Top Bottom