• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Irish

Oh my... That concept art is great. I kind of wish the neon colors were more dynamic like these concepts:

wIgHuN0.jpg

qbUM2T1.jpg

Not sure how we'd get paper powers since
all the blast shards have been used up, I suppose they could give them to us fully powered or add more or something
. Also I don't know where we'd drain them from.

Hope we get them though, would be fun to use.

Busy doing the Paper Trail thing now. I doubt we'll get paper powers, but I do like how you have to do a mission, then go to the website to do stuff, which then unlocks the next mission.

Manarola

Banned
Finished the game last night. Pretty enjoyable game. Looks great ofcourse. After the final boss i tried to get parts of the city completely free but it just got too boring. I don't think it's a very memorable game.
City looked good. I agree it didn't feel really alive sometimes.

I liked the destruction. There should be more of that. But i have no idea where they could take another Infamous game from here.
Faces looked good in some parts and really unnatural in others. I loved the animations.

Will roam around some more after the update.

Yeah, game was pretty forgettable. Glad I rented it.

I finally got the Platinum trophy for the game. My first platinum trophy ever, felt like an achievement, even so it was pretty easy to get. I wonder what sucker punch is going to release next.

fixuis

This game...wow just wow..this goddamn game..got it a couple of days ago and just finished it last nite on the good setting. Unbelievable experience. This along with knack and killzone are up there with my fav ps4 experiences so far. Nex gen is well and truly here. The gfx are insane, crisp, clear and great frame rate. Time for evil play through. I didn't think killzone's gfx would be bested so soon in the launch window - boy was I wrong. Loved the gameplay as well. They should come out with dlc for that glass power or save it for the next one. The details in this game are fantastic. Seattle done right, not to mention great rain and foliage. Loved seeing the forest come to life as well as the city around the fantastic smoke and neon powers. All the powers were great IMO.

Little details such as the train travelling around the mountains and forest up high with its smoke..really wonderful.

leng jai

The new patch is pretty good, really like the option to change the time of day and the 30fps cap. Very disappointed that they've made zero adjustments to the sound mix. Unbelievable how oblivious they act about it since day 1.

Now the update dropped I'm starting my Expert play through. Good lord the first 30 minutes are terrible.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Any of you guys getting stuttering/FPS issues on your 2nd run through? Just started mine, and like every 20 secs or so the game sort of stutters as if its loading textures or something. New patch causing issues?

Hoodbury

Beat the good path last night. It was getting late and already past my bedtime so I didn't feel like struggling against the boss so I found not really a glitch per-se but a safe spot. Felt cheap but oh well.

Haven't decided if I'll go again on evil and expert for the platinum. This is my first Sony console so trophies are a new thing for me and I'm not really sure I want to get into the whole trophy grind or not. I enjoyed the game but that doesn't necessarily mean I need to chase after trophies that don't mean a whole lot to me.

I might give an evil run a try just to see the evil skill tree though.

One thing I'm wondering about since this is my first Infamous game, is it a staple of the series to only have 1 melee weapon? The chain is cool and all but when I first started playing I thought cool I picked up a chain at the beginning of the game since I'm out at a car wreck or wherever I got it from (already forgot) but maybe once I get into the city I'll be able to use all sorts of things for melee attacks.

So it was kinda surprising to realize he just keeps the chain the whole way through.

I like this game but I find myself choosing to play other things simply because of how loud my PS4 gets while playing it. I should probably call Sony but that's going to be a PITA and I've seen several others say theirs is loud too so there's a good chance any exchange I got would have the same issue.

I'm seriously considering placing the PS4 in the next room and running the HDMI cable through the wall so I don't have to hear it.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I bought a PS4 yesterday and Infamous: Second Son. I really like it so far, despite never playing the original two. I missed out on the PS3, just wondering about trophies. Are they basically the same thing as achievements? Do you also get a total score for them like you do on the Xbox?

LakeEarth

I bought a PS4 yesterday and Infamous: Second Son. I really like it so far, despite never playing the original two. I missed out on the PS3, just wondering about trophies. Are they basically the same thing as achievements? Do you also get a total score for them like you do on the Xbox?
They're the exactly the same as achievements, they are usually the same between multiplatform games. It's just a different system for cataloging them. I like it better, instead of just being a pile of points, you can quickly see how many games people platinum'd and know they got every achievement for that many games.

Instead of points, different trophies give you different amounts of "experience", and you end up gaining levels. When you highlight trophies on the PS4 UI, you'll see how many trophies you got and what level you are (most likely still level 1).

Any of you guys getting stuttering/FPS issues on your 2nd run through? Just started mine, and like every 20 secs or so the game sort of stutters as if its loading textures or something. New patch causing issues?

I have the same issues.Very annoying.
Didnt had any issues before the new patch (and i played it yesterday without the new patch).

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
They're the exactly the same as achievements, they are usually the same between multiplatform games. It's just a different system for cataloging them. I like it better, instead of just being a pile of points, you can quickly see how many games people platinum'd and know they got every achievement for that many games.

Instead of points, different trophies give you different amounts of "experience", and you end up gaining levels. When you highlight trophies on the PS4 UI, you'll see how many trophies you got and what level you are (most likely still level 1).

Thank for the breakdown!

I also had a question about Infamous. Those DUP bases throughout the map, are these essentially like those templar bases from Assassin's Creed? The more I get rid of throughout the city the less those forces will have an impact...?

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
I have the same issues.Very annoying.
Didnt had any issues before the new patch (and i played it yesterday without the new patch).

You wouldn't happen to leave your ps4 on standby all the time do you? Cause I do, but I turned if on/off and that actually seemed to fix the problem.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Thank for the breakdown!

I also had a question about Infamous. Those DUP bases throughout the map, are these essentially like those templar bases from Assassin's Creed? The more I get rid of throughout the city the less those forces will have an impact...?

More or less.

It lessens DUP activity in that area so you run into less patrols etc.

You wouldn't happen to leave your ps4 on standby all the time do you? Cause I do, but I turned if on/off and that actually seemed to fix the problem.

Nope. Started my PS4 and waited for the patch. Then i played it. Maybe could be a bug if you installed the patch and playing right away without turning the console off.

I try it out tommorrow if it fixes anything.

viveks86

Did you know that you can make it rain whenever you want at ANY time of day?

You can activate the rain effect regardless of the time and weather setting by exploiting what seems to be a very easily accessible glitch.
Run all the way back to the bridge where you came from at the beginning of the game (there are ways to actually cross it again, but you don’t need to for this). Once you reach the place showcased in the screenshots below, just jump in the water between the broken extremities of the bridge. Anywhere beyond the black concrete spike in the pictures is fine.

Then press the touch pad to get your feet back on dry land, and it’ll be raining, no matter what time of day you have activated, giving you quite a few more weather combinations for your photo mode adventures.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/04/...rtime-setting/

lucius

I beat part 1/2 of Papertrail with my first playthrough but didn't complete it. I started playing again on Expert does the whole Papertrail thing reset or will it leave off at where I was at last?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I beat part 1/2 of Papertrail with my first playthrough but didn't complete it. I started playing again on Expert does the whole Papertrail thing reset or will it leave off at where I was at last?

Why not choose a different save slot for your Expert run?

I think you might have to start over.

I loved the game (will do an evil/expert run over the summer) but I really wished it did more with some of the side characters. I really liked Fetch's character and design and was really disappointed how little she actually did during the game.

Andrew.

Banned
Just discovered that Travis Willingham plays Reggie and Laura Bailey is Fetch.

They played Dan and Faye in Binary Domain and are actually married in real life.

lucius

Why not choose a different save slot for your Expert run?

I think you might have to start over.

Yeah I still have my 100% save that I can go back to was just wondering, repeating some puzzle might not be so easy since the numbers change I think. I wasn't that far into the expert run anyway.

peull

i just bought this game on psn looking forward to it! how many gigs i have to download before i can play it using the playgo system?

Doran902

This game is pretty good, gorgeous on my tv but it is also the first time I have ever enjoyed playing a game remote play on my vita. It runs very well and im glad they went with front touch instead of back touch. Very cool.

Zee-Row

Banned
The bad ending to this game really made me feel awful for the things i did. Whatever Sucker punch was trying to accomplish with that ending cut scene really did work on me.

Cubed

Is anyone else annoyed by the structure of the Paper Trail missions/storyline?

Why the hell isn't this all in-game? First, it's just odd to stop your game and go to a website to finish a mission and then hop back into the game. Second, the website barely works. Third, and finally, the website parts are complete trash... either too obscure or monotonous.

I hope there's some way to just finish this storyline thread in-game once all parts are out. I stopped doing this stupid website crap.

Replicant

The bad ending to this game really made me feel awful for the things i did. Whatever Sucker punch was trying to accomplish with that ending cut scene really did work on me.

Well,
The Akomish were dying from the stone pieces lodged in their body anyway. Delsin was just helping them to reach Nirvana faster.
/evil grin

CoG

Kind of disappointed in the HUD hiding addition. It hides the entire HUD including status updates and the recital making the game almost impossible at least on your first run. AC4 had really nice HUD hiding letting you tweak everything and IIRC some elements were dynamic when you were in combat mode.

Bottom line great for photos but not what us plasma owners wanted. Here's hoping for another update.

JackHerer

Does this game get better? I played for a few hours until I got to the first part of the city and had to take down all the DUP stations to give me more powers. I completed the first 1 or 2 missions in the city. Esentially I didn't find the combat fun at all. It was boring at this point and I'm wondering if this becomes a more interesting and intense? The DUP as the enemy is extremely boring IMO unless they change drastically.

I don't particularly like the characters so that isn't gonna keep me going. The visuals are great but, yet again, that isn't enough to keep me going to finish a game (I will never finish KZ: Shadow Fall despite it's extremely impressive visuals).

I need some encouragement here guys as I really want to like this game. I played infamous 1 and loved it. Last year I tried to play Infamous 2 and it failed to pull me in at all (but I had a lot of other games to distract me).

Second Son is so pretty and the infamous games are conceptual very cool. I wanna give it more time to win me over considering I only played for a few hours but what do you guys think? Is this type of game just not for me anymore?

I was disappointed when I got to the transition to the 2nd half of the map the
boss fight
(At the bridge)
She keeps taunting you to use Neon, so I didn't use Neon the whole fight, I died and it gave me full smoke ammo / power, and I took out the boss. At the end of the battle the cutscene the DUP lady was like I knew you had Neon powers.

I guess they didn't think anyone would try to pull that off ? :(

Edit: I overall totally enjoyed the game, and working through my Expert difficulty Evil play through now.

I was really wondering about what would happen with that.
I tried to use Smoke to beat him, but ran out of juice so I was forced to use Neon.
Thanks for letting us know! Shortcomings like this make an older game like Deus Ex, where they carefully accounted for so many different choices the player made, even more impressive.

BadAss2961

Would be awesome if they follow the continuity of the evil ending and
bring back Cole to fight Delsin, Fetch, Eugene, and all the conduits they let loose to cap off the series.
I was really wondering about what would happen with that.
I tried to use Smoke to beat him, but ran out of juice so I was forced to use Neon.
Thanks for letting us know! Shortcomings like this make an older game like Deus Ex, where they carefully accounted for so many different choices the player made, even more impressive.

You know Kojima would've caught that too.

Does this game get better? I played for a few hours until I got to the first part of the city and had to take down all the DUP stations to give me more powers. I completed the first 1 or 2 missions in the city. Esentially I didn't find the combat fun at all. It was boring at this point and I'm wondering if this becomes a more interesting and intense? The DUP as the enemy is extremely boring IMO unless they change drastically.

I don't particularly like the characters so that isn't gonna keep me going. The visuals are great but, yet again, that isn't enough to keep me going to finish a game (I will never finish KZ: Shadow Fall despite it's extremely impressive visuals).

I need some encouragement here guys as I really want to like this game. I played infamous 1 and loved it. Last year I tried to play Infamous 2 and it failed to pull me in at all (but I had a lot of other games to distract me).

Second Son is so pretty and the infamous games are conceptual very cool. I wanna give it more time to win me over considering I only played for a few hours but what do you guys think? Is this type of game just not for me anymore?

How about you play some more and find out? Who are we to say what you should and should not like? That's for you to decide. I would at least get the Neon power before calling it though as it changes how you approach the game slightly.

If you need encouragement to play a videogame though, I think it is safe to say it is not for you. I don't need others to tell me the finer points of Bon Iver's music, I just simply don't enjoy it. Doesn't mean it is bad, just not for me.

PS. I am not trying to be a jerk, but I am a firm believer in forming your own opinion on things, and you are asking for subjective feedback on if the game gets better when for some it most certainly does and others doesn't. So if a 100 of us say yes it gets better and it doesn't for you then what did that accomplish?

I'm stuck on Part 3 of Paper Trails:

I'm on the defragging the HDD part and I'm stuck at 70%, I've solved (at least I think) this puzzle twice and it's not continuing onwards to the next. I thought finishing the puzzle was just connecting all the starting nodes together (that's how I beat the previous puzzles), but that doesn't seem to be working this time around.
http://i.imgur.com/oStmpRl.png

Anyone got any tips?

Top Bottom