• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introduction to MOBAs

How about no. The idea of generalizing many different games with different business strategies, communities, competitions, gameplay, style, and fans that hate each other under the label of "MOBA" seems like a horrendous idea. The thread is also demeaning to all the individual communities, as instead of treating them like different you are just blending them together.

How dramatic.

I don't see any problem at all with the thread. It seems like it could be a good starting point for those who don't know much about the genre in general.

Goddard

6bg2aAc.png

Anti-Mage.png

How about no. The idea of generalizing many different games with different business strategies, communities, competitions, gameplay, style, and fans that hate each other under the label of "MOBA" seems like a horrendous idea.
Doom, COD, Battlefield and Serious Sam are all first person shooters though.

We have adjectives for differentiating for a reason.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The only disaster here is this side discussion. The disaster everyone expected, DOTA2 vs League, hasn't really shown up yet except for a few snide comments from Archie (typical Archie).

You don't create a big "First person shooter megathread" and lump all of them together, that would be disastrous.
When there was lots of confusion about what this new thing was and people were still calling them doom likes and had more in common than not I would have :p

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
One of the few genre's that is almost completely absent on consoles, and I don't understand why.

The more intense versions require very precise and fast targeting and selection that wouldn't easily be possible using a controller.

Some have gone on consoles though like Awesomenauts and Guardians of Middle Earth.

One of the few genre's that is almost completely absent on consoles, and I don't understand why.
It could be hard to put on a game pad as it was directly made for mouse and keyboard (see starcraft 64) and also they weren't big enough to be on a disk and until recently free stuff on console digital stores wasn't a hit prospect.

Goddard

When there was lots of confusion about what this new thing was and people were still calling them doom likes and had more in common than not I would have :p

However that's not the case. I don't think it is with the "moba" genre either. The games are so different that a dedicated fan of one can't have a discussion about mechanics with a dedicated fan of another, I think just trying to create a melting pot actually adds to the confusion instead of taking away from it.

Duxxy3

The same reason you don't see many RTSs on consoles: controls.

Is it really the same though? In RTS games you are usually managing multiple units, sometimes hundreds at a time. In MOBA's, unless i'm mistaken, you are focused on your one unit.

Goddard

Consoles don't have the accuracy of a mouse, or the macro capability of a keyboard, it is impossible to port them over properly.

Is it really the same though? In RTS games you are usually managing multiple units, sometimes hundreds at a time. In MOBA's, unless i'm mistaken, you are focused on your one unit.
Nope. You for the most part control one unit, but the same was an RTS you have to spend a lot of time moving the camera and looking at other units, making very precise movements, etc. Also they are based on clicking which is impossible effectively on console currently.

Subtle

I wonder how long until this thread turns into Dota 2 v Lol thread. Crossing my fingers that's not the case!

EDIT: I want a Wii U moba. Tablet controller sounds like it'd make it possible

Goddard

I wonder how long until this thread turns into Dota 2 v Lol thread. Crossing my fingers that's not the case!

I think the problem with this thread is that it focuses entirely on the similarities rather than the differences, and since there is no one person who plays "MOBA" because it is a genre rather than a game, no real discussion can be had about it.

I think the problem with this thread is that it focuses entirely on the similarities rather than the differences, and since there is no one person who plays "MOBA" because it is a genre rather than a game, no real discussion can be had about it.
There are plenty of people who have played plenty of games in the op. Please stop being so over dramatic. If a mod feels the thread is unnecessary they will lock it. Stop whining about it.

Whelp double post.

Subtle

Yeah. OP is a lil lackluster. We need some discussion here

Goddard

You could of played hundreds of other games in that time. Even my 350 hrs in Dota 2 I consider a waste of my time.

Why would you want to? I don't think anyone plays video games for the sake of productivity.

I enjoy dota 2 more than most games nowadays.

Not a waste of time if I'm having fun.

This. Also you should change your avatar back, it took me 10 minutes to realize it was Steve WinWood who created the OP. Lol.

Leezard

You could of played hundreds of other games in that time. Even my 350 hrs in Dota 2 I consider a waste of my time.

I don't know, you could pay thousands of dollars for those other games or be happy for the fun you can have with a single game, as well as getting better at this game.

Duxxy3

Consoles don't have the accuracy of a mouse, or the macro capability of a keyboard, it is impossible to port them over properly.

Nope. You for the most part control one unit, but the same was an RTS you have to spend a lot of time moving the camera and looking at other units, making very precise movements, etc. Also they are based on clicking which is impossible effectively on console currently.

You would think that, yet we have Diablo 3. Maybe not a perfect match, but it does show that micro management that we see on PC's is at least partially possible on consoles.

sobaka770

Banned
Started with Lol, was fun for a while, but for me DotA2 is just miles ahead. My only gripe is that they ported the game from WC3 engine without really challenging any mechanics, just some adjustments and general ease-of-use, competitive play enhancements. Can't blame them too much, though, because it allowed Valve to build competitive play in no time since everything is the same as original DotA but better.

That being said, I did get my hands on HotS Alpha and, while rough, it feels incredible, even at this Alhpa state. Definitely the game to watch for when it gets into beta. Now I can barely stand laning phases in DotA or Lol or any other game, such a waste of time.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Outside of targetable abilities, some micro for a few heroes (in DOTA at least, not sure about LoL in that respect), and right clicking to move, not exactly. RTSs will always have it way worse on consoles unless they're designed specifically for the console (Halo Wars). I only use RTSs as a comparison because they're the closest thing I can think of to most MOBAs in terms of controls. RTSs definitely have a lot more going on, there's no doubt about that.

Like others in here have already said though, SMITE would make a good console MOBA because of the third person controls. There's also Awesomenauts and Monday Night Combat.

Goddard

You would think that, yet we have Diablo 3. Maybe not a perfect match, but it does show that micro management that we see on PC's is at least partially possible on consoles.

Keyword here being partially. The only currently existing moba that could be directly ported is SMITE, but it would be impossible on a fundamental level to create exactly the same gameplay as Dota or LoL on a console pad. I don't think the game would be the same if they changed the way movement worked. Diablo 3 you can change the way the game works to work on console, like moving the character, but doing so with a competitive moba would completely undermine the mechanics imo.

I'm too much of a scrub to play DOTA2 so i'll stick with LoL and put up with their shitty f2p model. Shame HotS isn't better in that regard but it looks super fun, helps that all of my friends are ready to jump ship once it goes in open beta.

Duxxy3

Keyword here being partially. The only currently existing moba that could be directly ported is SMITE, but it would be impossible on a fundamental level to create exactly the same gameplay as Dota or LoL on a console pad. I don't think the game would be the same if they changed the way movement worked. Diablo 3 you can change the way the game works to work on console, like moving the character, but doing so with a competitive moba would completely undermine the mechanics imo.

You could argue that consoles are only able to partially able to mimic the responsiveness and accuracy of first person shooters, yet here we are today.

Really my point is that there is a hole in the console market that only awesomeanuts has attempted to fill. DOTA 2 and LoL would not be the same on consoles, but... would it be good enough?

I'm too much of a scrub to play DOTA2 so i'll stick with LoL and put up with their shitty f2p model. Shame HotS isn't better in that regard but it looks super fun, helps that all of my friends are ready to jump ship once it goes in open beta.
All you need is some persistence to go from dota from lol. It's leap is overstated from what I've seen in friends. Just give it a bit of time and some tries.
You could argue that consoles are only able to partially able to mimic the responsiveness and accuracy of first person shooters, yet here we are today.

Really my point is that there is a hole in the console market that only awesomeanuts has attempted to fill. DOTA 2 and LoL would not be the same on consoles, but... would it be good enough?
I do not believe those games would survive short of a complete rebalancing at which point they would be different games. You would need something entirely new.

Armaros

Just watch any sort of high level play from either dota2 or LoL and you can plainly see that a controller doesn't even come close to the precision, speed and responsiveness needed.

Console FPS are nothing like PC FPSs of old, if anything the current console FPS environment directly show that it'll port dota or lol to consoles, something major would be lost, and they wouldn't even be th same games anymore.

Luckily Dota is super deep so the entire time you are playing you are experiencing something new. I have about 700 hours and don't regret missing out on other games.

All you need is some persistence to go from dota from lol. It's leap is overstated from what I've seen in friends. Just give it a bit of time and some tries.

I try every other month and I fail miserably. Then i get slaughtered for 50 minutes and I go back to a bot game and cry.

Duxxy3

Just watch any sort of high level play from either dota2 or LoL and you can plainly see that a controller doesn't even come close to the precision, speed and responsiveness needed.

But you can say the same thing about first person shooters. Yet first person shooters are the most played console game, even with that disadvantage.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
But you can say the same thing about first person shooters. Yet first person shooters are the most played console game, even with that disadvantage.

FPS aren't comparable, where are all the console RTS?

Armaros

Console FPSs play dramatically different compared to PC ones, even the console ports, the PC version have massively lower TTKs and are much faster.

Adding artifical ways to 'overcome' the lack of percision needed for dota and lol would damage the fundamental mechanics and would basicly be completely different games with the same branding.

Yeah the jump from lol to dots isn't too tough. You get it after a few games

I think it's pretty tough to jump from one game to the other. If for no other reason than that there are 100 heroes and 100 items that you don't know anything about you're going to have to understand. Stun times, initiation ranges, skills and abilities, game mechanics, item and skill interactions all have to be learned and require multiple experiences with each. That's months of regular play, not "a few games".

You'll be in a better position than most if you have some meaningful background in one game or the other, but it will be tough for awhile regardless.

Top Bottom