• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 4k60 out of the question to be a standard on ps5/XSX?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I am a Laymen when it comes to complicated pc architecture. With that said, I was hoping once console games started being designed exclusively for the ps5 of XSX we would see games become more standard 4k/60. Before launch I was hearing big talk about Zen architecture and 10-14 teraflops of processing. Almost 2 years in and very very few games offer 4k/60fps. It was all the talk before the consoles launch now it's almost always a sacrifice to reach 60fps. Are these console just not powerful enough to offer the option? Just for reference can a 10 teraflop pc offer 60fp?

Leonidas

If 4K60 is what you're after you've got to play on PC, and one with a high end GPU. And even then you may need to rely on features like DLSS 2.0.

The console GPUs are comparable to mid-range PC cards that target 1440p.

If you stick to older (PS4-gen) games like me though, you can get by at 4K60 with a midrange card.

Last edited:

leo-j

Not completely, I mean death stranding runs almost at 60fps in it’s 4K graphics mode. I think 4K with RT at 40fps is becoming a norm with Sony first party games. Ratchet and clank and horizon 2 being prime examples.

DEATH STRANDING PS5 Gameplay 4K

Last edited:
I am a Laymen when it comes to complicated pc architecture. With that said, I was hoping once console games started being designed exclusively for the ps5 of XSX we would see games become more standard 4k/60. Before launch I was hearing big talk about Zen architecture and 10-14 teraflops of processing. Almost 2 years in and very very few games offer 4k/60fps. It was all the talk before the consoles launch now it's almost always a sacrifice to reach 60fps. Are these console just not powerful enough to offer the option? Just for reference can a 10 teraflop pc offer 60fp?
I've been saying this too. Many Gaffers have selective memory here because almost EVERYONE thought that these consoles would easily pull off 4k/60 ultra (not with RT) for cross gen games and last gen games receiving ps5/sx upgrades.

It's been a painful lesson thoug seeing the best we can hope for is 1440p/60 or dynamic "4k"/60. Remember, it's not just the fact that the new systems finally have a really capable CPU for the first time in a long time, but that they are RNDA 2 tech with SSD's that many people erroneously were led to believe would be game changers not just with loading times but that would be leveraged to produce better visuals and performance. Also we're used to consoles being able to be optimized better than the PC, historically.

But even Sony first party games like Uncharted 4 Remaster are only 1440p/60? Last of Us 2 1440p/60? The upcoming Last of Us 1 Remake is only 1440p/60 even though it's designed exclusively for next gen hardware?

It's weird to me that there are still people expecting miracles out of Unreal 5 engine games while in the same breath they're acting like we all shoulda known the consoles wouldn't be 4k/60 machines.

I think if more people were being honest they would admit that the consoles are underpowered compared to their pre launch expectations.

ABnormal

You can make it a standard, if you accept to lose the corresponding graphic quality. It's easy. It's always the same story. You can have a standard of 8k/60, if you are fine to have wireframe-like graphic quality.
When they will add processing power, they will again maximize graphical quality, according to the game and what is thought to be more important.

KellyNole

If 4K60 is what you're after you've got to play on PC, and one with a high end GPU. And even then you may need to rely on features like DLSS 2.0.

The console GPUs are comparable to mid-range PC cards that target 1440p.

If you stick to older (PS4-gen) games like me though, you can get by at 4K60 with a midrange card.

This is a good rule of thumb here at the moment.

To add, GPUs to run 4k60 on new games and ones in the near future cost as much if not more than the Xbox series X or Ps5. You get a lot more bang for the buck on consoles and ease of use. If you want Balls to the walls graphics, you have to pony up the money.

Barakov

Gold Member
I'm more interested in 60fps becoming the standard. I think 4k/rtx will be more for the enhanced versions or more likely for the PS6/Next Xbox.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Not if care about good graphics.
Native 4K60 is hard for GPUs twice as powerful as the XSX/PS5.

Keep graphics stagnant and 4K60 is doable.

Honestly 4K is so many pixels to push it feels like a waste give me TSR/TAAU/CB or whatever upscaling technique mated to DSR and im sorted.

DaGwaphics

Yes It Is GIF

My guess is that only relatively simplistic games could hit that. FSR2.0 and the like can fake it okay though.

Yes. I also don't think most people sit close enough to a 4k set to see the difference between 1440p and 4k. Frame rate and other graphical effects (ray racing) are more important than 4k at this moment in time.
It's very easily noticeable in most games if you have a good TV and good eyesight. I notice the difference in every game. A lot of fine detail like texture detail is lost and there's a general softness that 1440p has compared to 4k or even 1800p.

Ellery

For most of the "pushing" games this won't be possible for a native resolution. There cetainly will be many games, but not the flagship releases that we so deperately anticipate.

You are supposed to want more and never be satisfied. And it indeed always does get better. For quite some years I thought 4K wasn't much better than my 1440p monitor, but side by side it was quite clear which one was clearly superior. Same will happen with 8K30fps and 8K60fps or future VR resolutions with newer headsets.

With the PS4 and Xbox One we argued about 720p vs 1080p and we needed to have every game at 1080p resolution so it was crisp and good looking. 4K we thought it was a waste and nobody needs that. One generation later and 1080p looks like muddy water and we hate to accept upscaled magic sauce fancy resolution dlss fsr 1440p -> 4K instead of native 4K. And 30fps is unplayable too.

Kinda feel like a hypocrite saying all this, but we will never get what we want because the next big dopamine kick is one generation away in our thirsty needs.

Not completely, I mean death stranding runs almost at 60fps in it’s 4K graphics mode. I think 4K with RT at 40fps is becoming a norm with Sony first party games. Ratchet and clank and horizon 2 being prime examples.

DEATH STRANDING PS5 Gameplay 4K

I'd love to know why Naughty Dog of all devs is struggling to make their games closer to 4k/60 or at least 4k/40 fps. They're couldn't even offer that for Uncharted 4 remaster and it looks like Last of Us 1 remake is also only 1440p.

It's Naughty Dog, the supposed graphics kings, with full access to the Ps5's tools and resources.

leo-j

I'd love to know why Naughty Dog of all devs is struggling to make their games closer to 4k/60 or at least 4k/40 fps. They're couldn't even offer that for Uncharted 4 remaster and it looks like Last of Us 1 remake is also only 1440p.

It's Naughty Dog, the supposed graphics kings, with full access to the Ps5's tools and resources.
i def think for games pushing ps5 visuals, 1440p 60fps is a sweet spot. Demons souls did this beautifully.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Don't think it'll happen, unless people are willing to srttle with current level of graphics for the next of the gen.

Imo, 1440p/60fps should be the new standard on consoles.

Jaybe

Isn’t GOWR 4K/30fps or <4K/60fps on the PS5? If a crossgen title from one of the best first party developers can’t hit 4K 60 fps I don’t know what hope we have for a current gen only title making it.

There won’t be Pro revisions this gen. Why to people to this to themselves?
I think it's possible this gen.... But like way down the line.... Some people really think a mid gen refresh is like 2 years away when consoles aren't readily available and there aren't any current gen exclusives lmao

Isn’t GOWR 4K/30fps or <4K/60fps on the PS5? If a crossgen title from one of the best first party developers can’t hit 4K 60 fps I don’t know what hope we have for a current gen only title making it.

Cross gen like every pc game released in last 30 years, I promise you won't play a better looking game on any platform this year than God of War at dynamic 4k 60fps on ps5

Last edited:
There won’t be Pro revisions this gen. Why to people to this to themselves?

TSMC's price hikes might ultimately derail it, but I think a mid cycle upgrade was always the intention. I think either way this is going to be a very long console cycle. Probably another 6-7 years.

KellyNole

It's very easily noticeable in most games if you have a good TV and good eyesight. I notice the difference in every game. A lot of fine detail like texture detail is lost and there's a general softness that 1440p has compared to 4k or even 1800p.
I didn’t say it isn’t noticeable. I said most people don’t sit close enough to the tv to really see the extra details.

I have perfect vision and have an lg cx 77 inch. I have to get within about 7 feet to really enjoy the 4K greatness. Still somewhat noticeable at 10. But I sit 15 to 16 feet away. At that point, it’s barely a difference.

//DEVIL//

Yes. I also don't think most people sit close enough to a 4k set to see the difference between 1440p and 4k. Frame rate and other graphical effects (ray racing) are more important than 4k at this moment in time.
sorry but not true. I had a 2k 144 monitor and switched to 4k 144. the difference is night and day. honestly, I would say more than FHD to 2k.

with that being said. with all these upscaling techs like FSR2 and DLSS, playing those games at say ultra quality FSR2 /Quality and DLSS to native, I cant tell the difference. those upscaling techs are fantastic.

But Native 2k to native 4k? yes, huge difference.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I didn’t say it isn’t noticeable. I said most people don’t sit close enough to the tv to really see the extra details.

I have perfect vision and have an lg cx 77 inch. I have to get within about 7 feet to really enjoy the 4K greatness. Still somewhat noticeable at 10. But I sit 15 to 16 feet away. At that point, it’s barely a difference.
Actually, the real reason is that most people don't care enough, of the people including myself can spot the difference and think it's not worthy if there's something more important like fidelity or framerate in exchange of resolution

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

KellyNole

sorry but not true. I had a 2k 144 monitor and switched to 4k 144. the difference is night and day. honestly, I would say more than FHD to 2k.

with that being said. with all these upscaling techs like FSR2 and DLSS, playing those games at say ultra quality FSR2 /Quality and DLSS to native, I cant tell the difference. those upscaling techs are fantastic.

But Native 2k to native 4k? yes, huge difference.

As in my other reply, I never said it wasn’t noticeable, I said most people don’t sit close enough to the tv. You mentioned monitor, how far away are you sitting ? Usually your fairly close to a monitor. Of course you will see it. The further back you go, the less noticeable it is.

tusharngf

I think we need at least 20-30+ TF pro consoles for this and this can be achievable. The answer is PRO machines are needed. Nvidia is already pushing for 100TF mark and rumor says AMD will reach 90 TF range as well. Consoles needs one more refresh on a new node.

bender

What time is it?
We have a plethora of 4k 60 games so no. They need to do more unlocked framerates for us vrr tv users too.

Native 4k? Or dynamic 4k?

I'm legit curious. Is there a list or something?

What a lazy response bro. Anyway, from that article:

I guess there aren't that many native 4k games on consoles, at least right now.

Huh? you asked for a list...

Yeah, a list, not a full on article that's not even about native 4k games. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Thanks anyways.

You asked if native or dynamic...you got your answer king.
KlutzyGroundedAfricangroundhornbill-size_restricted.gif

This is the nerdiest version of the A Few Good Men court scene I've ever witnessed.

Rudius

4K 60 is too much to ask for, but 4K is unnecessary with modern AA and upscaling techniques. 60 fps is important though. If that becomes impossible, at least let us have 40 fps modes.

Top Bottom