• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 4k60 out of the question to be a standard on ps5/XSX?

Schmick

What's wrong with dynamic resolution? FSR2.0? We don't need native 4K. 60fps should be the priority.

Anyway, I still find it amusing that some here think that Pro consoles are on their way.

jeffyjaixx

Yes. It's a struggle for it on most PC's too.

1440p+/60 should be the target for PS5/XSX.

Maybe 4k/60 for PS5 Pro / X1SX? Even then with raytracing and bells/whistles turned on, would be difficult as visual fidelity increases with UE5 IMO.

daninthemix

If I was a developer and my game was running at 4K/60 on current hardware, I'd be wondering to myself "I could make these graphics better and sacrifice either resolution or frame rate (or both)".

Sanepar

Never said anything like that, nor do I think that most gamers care about Ultra on everything.
Pc player care about high/ultra settings.

To play with console settings, besides cp2077 it probably can do 4k 60 fps on everything. But we are talking about last gen and cross gen titles.

Next year we gonna have real next gen titles. A 3080 will not be enough.

Beechos

Yeah def dont expect any mindblowing next gen effects though. Hell they can do 4k 240fps if they want just have to make the graphics look like ps1 graphics.

PeteBull

So do you guys see why there is a market for the Series S?
Some ppl are not techsavy, they are even ok with last gen graphics, so ofc will be ok with series s lvl of graphics too, same like on pc u still get lots of ppl using gtx 1060, thats roughly series S lvl of power, or ps4pro(roughly)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure performance mode isn't going anywhere

I wouldn't be so sure. That's easy to implement now because most games are still cross-gen. We've seen very few, if any, games truly take advantage of what these consoles could do, in particular the CPUs. If some dev really goes for it, making something that would be impossible to run on a PS4, it might not be as simple to have a downgraded 60fps mode. We've seen this with the Matrix demo, which couldn't run at 60 even at 480p because it's CPU-limited.

One game I'm absolutely not convinced will have a performance mode is Avatar, because it seems to really be going for a true next-gen experience.

Last edited:

AllBizness

Banned
I am a Laymen when it comes to complicated pc architecture. With that said, I was hoping once console games started being designed exclusively for the ps5 of XSX we would see games become more standard 4k/60. Before launch I was hearing big talk about Zen architecture and 10-14 teraflops of processing. Almost 2 years in and very very few games offer 4k/60fps. It was all the talk before the consoles launch now it's almost always a sacrifice to reach 60fps. Are these console just not powerful enough to offer the option? Just for reference can a 10 teraflop pc offer 60fp?
You do realize most AAA games cant reach 4k60 on PC either? Add ray tracing effects and no game runs 4k60 at all. Going to need a 4090 and it isnt out yet

Pc player care about high/ultra settings.

To play with console settings, besides cp2077 it probably can do 4k 60 fps on everything. But we are talking about last gen and cross gen titles.

Next year we gonna have real next gen titles. A 3080 will not be enough.
A 3080 will be plenty fine. It has way more horsepower than the consoles and developers will want to ensure that console players get a decent experience, as that’s where the money is.

Last edited:
Depends on the scope of the game.

For most AAA titles especially when they ditch PS4/XBO, no. But there’s absolutely nothing wrong with dynamic 4k where it drops to a low of 1440p.

1440p is the sweet spot for the console specs imo.

Fbh

The fact we are now nearly 2 years into this gen with mostly cross gen titles that can't run at native 4k/60fps should be a pretty clear indication that 4K60 won't be a thing in AAA gaming. Unless all devs/publishers agree to make games with the production values of a AA last gen title.

As long as consoles continue to focus on affordable prices it's unlikely we'll ever get consoles that don't have to make some compromises regarding resolution or performance. You can't really expect a $499 console to do stuff even a $499+ GPU struggles with.

For PS5? Yes. For Xbox Series X? maybe.

it depends on Forza and if it lives up to the promise of 4k 60fps, WITH real-time ray-tracing everywhere as advertised, the game was likely delayed because of it, if it's done well, and smooth without much to no isues, then it may be a stepping stone for internal and third-party devs to look into a 4K 60fps standard, with RT in ome form.

TheGecko

Banned
4k/60 isn't an issue, the issue is do you want your games to look like iPad games?

It's about balance, and that's what devs have to do with any console. I think a 1440p/60 with high to ultra settings would be best rather than chasing the 4k hype.

If visuals bother you, Get a PC, If you're just into the gaming side of games then consoles are the place to be.

Pimpbaa

1440p or dynamic res at 60fps for most, reconstructed 4k like picture quality with 60fps maybe, but native 4k 60fps is going to be the minority.

iHaunter

I said it when they were launching. Specs were around a 2070 Super or TI. Not high enough for Good Settings 4k/60. PS5 Pro/XSX Pro will def be able to do it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Once we get to PS6/XSX2 there should be no good reason not to do this. Unless they then start chasing 8K, which would be the dumbest shit ever. We don't need that until everyone has 100" TVs.

Once we get to PS6/XSX2 there should be no good reason not to do this. Unless they then start chasing 8K, which would be the dumbest shit ever. We don't need that until everyone has 100" TVs.
8k is pretty much dead from a consumer level, much better to spend the extra effort on panel quality

Samsung seems to be pushing it pretty hard. Sony also has one. I haven't heard a single good argument as to WHY anyone should get one, but that's irrelevant of course.
Appeals to casuals thinking big number is better... By the time there's any regular 8k content these tvs will be ancient lol

Hezekiah

Banned
Yep, you're not getting native 4k/60 for the level of graphics most developers are aiming for in AAA games.

Of course some AA games with much more limited scope will be.

Are they though?

We haven't even seen what these current gen machines can do. The push for 60 fps is hurting graphical fidelity more than anything. Releasing a "pro version" to play the games currently out would be the most useless half measure ever.
You could theoretically play some of those games at 120fps with a pro model

Where did you heard that? Most of developers are quite happy about the CPU on consoles this generation
The ratchet devs said they couldn’t maintain a 120FPS mode (likely 1080p) because in their words they ran into cpu deciding factors. I don’t feel the cpus are enough of a jump especially for 60fps minimum and i highly suspect in games like death stranding the cpu in the consoles is slightly holding back the gpu

eE0on5Z.jpg

Ohhh you are one of those guys.?
Got feeling you wont be here long.

You do know Zen3 and the PS5 launched the same month?
Zen3 SOCs only launched mid/late 2021
Did you expect Sony to delay the PS5 to wait for Zen3.........only for people to complain they should have waited for Zen4?

Beyond the OGXbox these consoles at launch were the closest to mid/high tier PC parts weve seen in forever.
The 3600X was the best bang for buck CPU in 2019.....these console effectively have cut versions of the 3700X.

At 4K the 3600X does above 90% the work of Zen3 5600X.......soooooo
relative-performance-games-38410-2160.png
Those lost frames are the difference between a locked 60 and inconsistent 60fps mode though. In death stranding for example at 4k you can get as much as 12 extra frames in some instances witj better cpus (and that’s obviously significant for something targetting 60) i also bet the lack of zen 3 is why most games don’t have 1080p 120fps modes (cause I know the gpu wouldn’t he holding it back in that instance)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Those lost frames are the difference between a locked 60 and inconsistent 60fps mode though. In death stranding for example at 4k you can get as much as 12 extra frames in some instances witj better cpus (and that’s obviously significant for something targetting 60) i also bet the lack of zen 3 is why most games don’t have 1080p 120fps modes (cause I know the gpu wouldn’t he holding it back in that instance)
Death Stranding is already 60fps on PS5?
There is no game where Zen3 is above 60 that Zen2 is below.
Stop talking out ya ass or give me receipts.

Lack of 120 modes is in most cases design choice not a CPU limitation, HFW doesnt need a 1080p120fps mode, its showcase title for the PS5, if the mode existed everyone would advise you against using it.

But this is about 4K60 so lets get back to that.
At 4K Zen3 and Zen2 are practically indistinguishable because you are fully GPU bound in any modern title.
doom-eternal-3840-2160.png

red-dead-redemption-2-3840-2160.png

And you say most games dont have a 120fps mode due to Zen2?
What games do you think should have a 1080p120 mode but are being held back by the CPU?

Cuz Zen2 will 120fps alot of titles and where it fails Zen3 generally fails too.
So we'd have to wait for Zen4?
PS5 release date 3 years after XSX in 2023?
borderlands-3-1280-720.png

red-dead-redemption-2-1280-720.png

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
remember when we got consoles that were meant to be 4K? lol the PS4 Pro/XB1X were a joke for 4K. now PS5/XSX is struggling with it and some people thought they were going to be playing at 8K on their PS5 lol.

PS5/XSX should focus on 1080/1440p 30-60fps. just upscale to 4K. in some cases AI upscaling is better than native. there's no point wasting resources trying to render native 4K when you can just run an AI to do it.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
1440p/60fps high-ultra settings > 4K/60fps low-medium settings

Dunno, most of the settings in modern games/engines barely differ, if at all, between low-medium-high-v.high-ultra, while soaking up a ton of performance. And this is IMO where the consoles are losing a lot, especially on the shadows and reflections, if they're not RT ones then why even bother, just turn them all the way down until it doesn't become a pixelated mess, while uploading even tens of extra FPS. But on the other side, some of the features are completely turned off on consoles in return, which does make a big difference, which I think is what you're actually referring to.

Three

remember when we got consoles that were meant to be 4K? lol the PS4 Pro/XB1X were a joke for 4K. now PS5/XSX is struggling with it and some people thought they were going to be playing at 8K on their PS5 lol.

PS5/XSX should focus on 1080/1440p 30-60fps. just upscale to 4K. in some cases AI upscaling is better than native. there's no point wasting resources trying to render native 4K when you can just run an AI to do it.
Not sure what's funny billy. It's not a power thing we keep going higher and higher in power but we had more 60 fps games in the PS2 era. When given more power devs decide to do other things with it because double the graphical power at 1440p upscaled 30fps is always going to be a viable playable option for devs vs 4k 60fps with less than half that.

Last edited:

Amiga

4k60fps can be standard on PS5 if devs just used the same base assets as in PS4 games. Resolution is not what makes a game looks good, it's the character models/textures/ lighting. these are what developers are spending the power on.

Mister Wolf

If wasn't for those damn kids in the mystery van over at idsoftware you may have managed to get away with that comment but doom eternal exists.

Doom Eternal runs nowhere close to 4K with raytracing. It tops out at 3200 x 1800 and the dynamic resolution scaler regularly drops it below that.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Weird seeing some of these posts about PS5 and no, maybe when GT7 runs at 4K 60fps.

Like some have said, depends on the game and the devs intent. For PS5 or XboX Series.

Last edited:

RobRSG

Man even a 3080 is not a capable of that standard... it has almost 2 times the power of these consoles.

They will be good 1440p machines.
Theses first 2 years were major cross gen games, remasters and oldgen updates.

Next year next gen only games will come and then we wil have all 4k low/mid settings 30 fps games.

Don't foolish yourself, these consoles are weak and this year we will have gpus with 4-5x times their power.
My 3080 can do 4K 60+ in most games and even 120+ in some games, not sure what you are talking about here.

The exception is when you go crazy with high RT settings.

Caio

What's wrong with dynamic resolution? FSR2.0? We don't need native 4K. 60fps should be the priority.

Anyway, I still find it amusing that some here think that Pro consoles are on their way.
I couldn't say it better. What's the fooking point of native 4K/60 if current Next Gen hardware is not capable of it without sacrificing much more important things like a better physics engine, collision system, geometry, textures, graphics effects, draw distance, lighting, etc etc. Jesus, people, we are not playing on a RTX 4090, please stop with this native 4K/60, it really doesn't make any sense on a PS5/XSX, unless it's a remaster of an old game...

Top Bottom