• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Nintendo rushed by time... or simply clueless about their own IPs ?

There's no denying that Nintendo drawn a lot of attention around them since E3 2015... but not for the good reasons, except for Zelda Breath of the Wild (which looks amazing), all because of lower than usual software quality. Star Fox Zero, Metroid Prime Federation Force, Zelda Triforce Heroes, Paper Mario Color Splash, Chibi-Robo Zip Lash, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash... all of these games made a name, either for the cold reception they've got... and sometimes with lower scores on top of that.

Because that's what these games all have in common: Lukewarm reception... and lowest score in their respective entries, by a good margin. The common explanation is that Nintendo is being rushed by time: Wii U is dead, the replacement is on track and they needed software to fill the year. But is it the only reason ?

Could it be that Nintendo also fail to understand what makes some of their IPs so special ?
Zelda Triforce Heroes is a game I'd put in the first category, clearly rushed by time. After all, it was a game relying heavily on recycled assets, and a multiplayer spin off. Even if it was inferior to Four Sword Adventure, it's pretty clear that Zelda is for sure the IP they still understand, as shown with Breath of the Wild.

But for the rest... It feels like the problem wasn't only money related, but creative decisions hampered these games.
Star Fox Zero for exemple, while it kinda nailed the artstyle and general atmosphere, kinda missed the point of the serie and particulary what people expected/wanted from a collaboration with Platinum Games: A fast paced action shooting game, with over the top moments.

Metroid Federation Force on the other hand, wasn't plagued by it's gameplay or even the concept, but totally missed the artstyle and atmosphere someone would expect from such a game. That... and the subpar level design and bosses. Federation Force final boss spoiler
INSANE beach volleyball boss :")

For Chibi Robo, I guess this IP is pretty much dead considering Tanabe said it was its last chance. Then again, they kinda missed the point: Turning it into another 2D platformer... when the whole point was to deal with these big scale everyday life objects and environnements.

Last one, Paper Mario. Yes, Color Splash isn't released yet and is shaping up to be a good fun game. But definitely far less memorable than the first 3 ones. The main criticism is basically Nintendo scrapping that charming universe they built, these lovely new characters, for a low efforts of Toad recycling. All of them... everywhere. That and the flawed gameplay, with useless combats thanks to no XP and one time use stickers.

Somehow, I feel like these games could've been better games without breaking the bank and that the most problematic thing was related to creative decisions.
As far as I'm concerned, I guess that the NX reveal will also be important on that matter, since the upcoming games are supposed to not be rushed thanks to the long developpement time they're supposed to have.

The A-teams are all presumably working on stuff for the NX.

Everything else is either B-team, outsourced, or filler, or projects that began while the Wii U and 3DS still had momentum.

Starfox was a Miyamoto passion project, for better or worse.

Wollan

I believe Nintendo made a comment recently about wanting to target 2 million or so sales with most of their titles. Could be that they will do a fewer amount of stronger titles going forward so maybe this move will up the quality / lower quantity a bit.

Everything else is either B-team, outsourced, or filler, or projects that began while the Wii U and 3DS still had momentum.

The thread already adress that though. These titles weren't hurt because of money shortcoming but because of creative decisions.

Basically, Star Fox was greenlight because of the gamepad and it was supposed to have a year of development so the budget was likely pretty small.

120v

i think it's simply having two consoles in their twilight years and unloading the mediocre titles on their tail end.

except for Star Fox nothing really indicates nintendo "isn't getting it". metroid and zelda were just MP spinoffs

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
A-Teams have most certainly been working with NX for a while. The lack of "major" A-team releases in the last year and a half heavily imply that.

I sort of feel a parallel here with that happened to later Game Cube software - namely Super Paper Mario and Bongo Blast. Titles started dev on GCN but moved to Wii in the GCN's final years. I think we'll be seeing software that *could* have been on Wii U but moved to NX.

Nintendo has this sort of "shield" around them that if its not a "main" title, it doesn't matter if the game is bad. Those don't count, so in everyone's mind they always release quality games. Nintendo is still known as the great game making machine because of that thought process.
I have a feeling Nintendo believes this as well. They don't care about spin offs as much as the main games. They're ok with releasing mediocre game.

Honestly, I kind of feel the same way. That thought process has seeped into my head as well. Outside of Zelda games(I'm not a Zelda fan) I just play the main games and I avoid all of the spinoffs.

z0m3le

Banned
The thread already adress that though. These titles weren't hurt because of money shortcoming but because of creative decisions.

The point he was making (i think) is that those creative games are usually made by the main teams behind the games, however they didn't put main teams on most of these games, thus the creative direction was spin offs or chance takers.

Ansatz

Like others have mentioned those games from the famous E3 2015 presentation are asset-recycling filler made by smaller teams to pad the release schedule. It's the standard Nintendo generational transition period, I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on this. Let's wait until their big guns and then see if they fail, live up to, or exceed expectation.

The point he was making (i think) is that those creative games are usually made by the main teams behind the games, however they didn't put main teams on most of these games, thus the creative direction was spin offs or chance takers.

Definitely this. Most of these games are being made with pretty little faith going into them, unfortunately. It's hard to work with what you've got, when you've not got a lot (staff-wise, budget-wise, time-wise, etc.)

As well, to me it depends.

I think the relative lack of heavy-hitting releases from Nintendo is just making the failings for the few games they do put out more apparent.

Kirby Robobot was a pretty good game for example, as was Fire Emblem: Fates, but those are basically among the only traditional, heavy-hitting first-party 3DS games so far this year.

IP mishandling has been a problem for a while now but I think the ability to be creative with them is also restricted by various developmental factors. e.g. Why hedge your bets on a risky game when you have to get a bunch of Marios out every week, Chibi Robo would probably bomb on Wii U so 3DS is safer but a traditional game may not work...

This gen has definitely been a problematic one for Nintendo. Hopefully they can move out of the growing pains of HD dev and split libraries.

Nosgotham

How can they be clueless about their IP? Its their IP and they are making the games they wanna make. Simple as that

The games aren't bad, they just aren't smash hits

MacTag

Banned
I think it's premature including Color Splash then. While the hardcore response to a Sticker Star follow up hasn't been glowing, Sticker Star still reviewed and sold well and a sequel that could potentially alleviate it's shortcomings might have merit. Not being Paper Mario 3 or Super Paper Mario 2 won't necessarily hurt it in and of itself.

The thing that will hurt Color Splash most sales wise will probably be sticking to Wii U release and not getting pushed to NX.

listing chibirobo ziplash as a premier IP but ommitting the excellent Fire emblem Fates, Tokyo Mirage Sessions or Kirby robobot planet huh?

Also Color Splash isnt out yet.

mp1990

Banned
The studio behind Metroid Prime Federation Force developed Luigi's Mansion 2, which was well received by the public and critics in general, so I'd like to think that it's more of a time constraint issue than Nintendo's studios losing their touch. Star Fox Zero is a more complicated matter, since it was made as proof of concept more than anything else, but nevertheless I believe Nintendo still has it, hopefully the first NX batch will prove that.

The only ones I agree with are Ultra Smash (rushed) and Color Splash (not in touch with what people want).

I haven't played enough of Federation Force to judge it but I enjoyed the other games you mentioned. None of them felt particularly rushed, maybe you were expecting something else from them?

Oersted

It should be noted that most of these games are not internally developed.

Granted, they still oversee and greenlight.

Rushed? You're calling Nintendo, the king of delays (even when the delay takes a major new console out of a holiday season) rushed?

Nintendo Time is a real thing.

Zelda Triforce Heroes is a game I'd put in the first category, clearly rushed by time. After all, it was a game relying heavily on recycled assets, and a multiplayer spin off. Even if it was inferior to Four Sword Adventure, it's pretty clear that Zelda is for sure the IP they still understand, as shown with Breath of the Wild.
it was a spin off. i think it is really lacking in presentation but the core gameplay is actually pretty neat (although its quite tedious to play alone)
Star Fox Zero for exemple, while it kinda nailed the artstyle and general atmosphere, kinda missed the point of the serie and particulary what people expected/wanted from a collaboration with Platinum Games: A fast paced action shooting game, with over the top moments.
Star Fox zero is a fast paced action shooter game and it has its over the top moments. it just looks too much like starfox 64 and rail shooters are just not really "en vogue" anymore
Metroid Federation Force on the other hand, wasn't plagued by it's gameplay or even the concept, but totally missed the artstyle and atmosphere someone would expect from such a game. That... and the subpar level design and bosses. Federation Force final boss spoiler
INSANE beach volleyball boss :")
I havent played this one but so far there are glowing reviewes and other reviews that say its trash. from what I gather its a stage based action puzzle shooter rather then monster hunter (so its core gameplay is more like metroid).
For Chibi Robo, I guess this IP is pretty much dead considering Tanabe said it was its last chance. Then again, they kinda missed the point: Turning it into another 2D platformer... when the whole point was to deal with these big scale everyday life objects and environnements.
Chibi Robo? who cares. zip lash is probably better then park control or that camera game or whatever. I liked the first game but it is what it is. a really obscure game.
Last one, Paper Mario. Yes, Color Splash isn't released yet and is shaping up to be a good fun game. But definitely far less memorable than the first 3 ones. The main criticism is basically Nintendo scrapping that charming universe they built, these lovely new characters, for a low efforts of Toad recycling. All of them... everywhere. That and the flawed gameplay, with useless combats thanks to no XP and one time use stickers.

not out yet. what weve seen so far seems to be fun. ill just hold out on this one until its out.

Judging software in the year before the succeed both of their devices at once is not going to get the best insight. Far better to look at what NX has for 2017.

Just last year we saw some great Nintendo titles with Super Mario Maker, Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Wooly World.

To be fair the Wii U was clearly rushed out the door.

The 3DS was even worae. Steel Diver and Pilot Wings were $40 launch games.

Torokil

Both the Wii U and 3DS have pretty much maxed out their sales a while ago so there's really no reason to put in that much effort besides a token of support towards the people who bought these systems.

Compare the gamecube quality and effort in 2002 and then the titles in 2005 with the big 1st party games being shit like Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and Star Fox Assault

I say it become clueless, they always want to try something new or a new gimmick *which isn't a bad thing* and willing to change the core system which what made that IP special.

its might be fun in a paper, inside the minds of the developers and in the first couple of days before it's become a drag just to play it.

Neoxon

This. The Wii U is dead & the 3DS isn't too far behind. Sun/Moon aside, most of what the 3DS has left are either lower-budget games or late localizations. And even with Sun/Moon, isn't Junichi Masuda only serving as producer rather than director? If so, his efforts may be focused on an NX Pokémon game.

As mentioned by NinjaCoach, Star Fox was Miyamoto's passion project. As for most of the others, it was likely a result of Nintendo's A-Teams being elsewhere. Though I can attribute Chibi-Robo & Paper Mario to Nintendo not knowing what to do with either franchise.

Rockk

Wait for NX. It's very clear back in 2014 they cut their losses with the Wii U and focused all development towards the NX. Wait. Just Wait.

Considering how much mediocrity they've produced this generation, I also have a harder time each day thinking it's solely ,,secret NX games!!"-related. This whole generation they haven't released a single game that's going to be an alltime classic. Maybe Bayonetta 2, but their 1st party certainly hasn't made anything that's going to have the same reputation as an Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime or Mario Galaxy. The best Nintendo games on WiiU are only good because they're utterly safe rehashes of what has worked last generation, like the Donkey Kong Country reboot. The latest Mario Kart and Smash Bros. will be forgotten once the next innovation-less iterations come out.

When I played Bloodborne, I was reminded of my first time playing Metroid Prime and I thought how impossible it seems nowadays that Nintendo could pull off such an expertly crafted and grand Action Adventure/RPG. Zelda U is the absolute last string of hope after their franchises have seen their worst iterations on WiiU or simply died. Also, at some point you wonder whether some of their teams can even pull off great 3D games anymore. How many more 2D platformers can they phone in? These titles are even more offensive, considering that indies show how many different great things you can still do in 2D. From Mark of the Ninja, to Lone Survivor, Shovel Knight and Axiom Verge. Yet what feels like half of Nintendo's output is just one tired 2D mascot platformer after another, rehashing decade old formulas over and over.

I wish they'd get their act together for NX, but right now they might as well have gone creatively bankrupt. And when they try a different franchise for once, you get crap like Starfox Zero.

aBarreras

i think is kinda both.

since they need to get the games out, they implement some thing just for kinda shock value, because when nintendo iterates, it iterates so fucking great.

these titles need a wow factor, so thats why nintendo implements things that most fans wont like, since all fans want is iterative games

im not saying iterative as a bad thing.

AntMurda

It should be noted that most of these games are not internally developed. Granted, they still oversee and greenlight.

LOL green lit and overseen. That's not how it works, there are production teams that fully manage what the product is, and how it's made. Between production unit and developers, both are responsible for the vision and quality of a product.

Nintendo has really weird ideas of what a product should be sometimes. I think Star Fox is in a much worse boat than Metroid.

tumblr_nhq5bvCI6A1t301p7o1_400.gif

Let's maybe wait for the NX reveal and see what games are coming

Both the Wii U and 3DS have pretty much maxed out their sales a while ago so there's really no reason to put in that much effort besides a token of support towards the people who bought these systems.

Compare the gamecube quality and effort in 2002 and then the titles in 2005 with the big 1st party games being shit like Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and Star Fox Assault

what the????

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Yep.
I struggle to see a better management of so many IP in other software houses too.
Wiiu and 3ds have among their lineup some great gems too, not on minor projects like those liste in the OP

And some of those are minor projects, not bad games as state in the OP

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If something works well, Nintendo will change it for the sake of trying something different. Naturally that doesn't always work out well.

ChaosXVI

One of the other issues is that Nintendo is extremely tight about budgets. In this way they keep team sizes down, which usually results in a higher quality product but one that may take longer to make. It's one of the reasons I expect that Retro still doesn't have two full teams after well over a decade of upper management suggesting that.

It's this conservatism that has saved them a few times as well, as if they were to put as much money into their games as some western developers, it would result in games that require 2-3 million sales to break even, when currently they have plenty that can turn a profit at 1 million or even less.

BigEmil

I think its just because people are getting sick of the same Nintendo IP's they've played for generations since the NES.

Nintendo should invest in more new IP's (not including cameos of characters from previous IP's) they did a few this gen but not enough within the 4 years.

Considering how much mediocrity they've produced this generation, I also have a harder time each day thinking it's solely ,,secret NX games!!"-related. This whole generation they haven't released a single game that's going to be an alltime classic. Maybe Bayonetta 2, but their 1st party certainly hasn't made anything that's going to have the same reputation as an Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime or Mario Galaxy. The best Nintendo games on WiiU are only good because they're utterly safe rehashes of what has worked last generation, like the Donkey Kong Country reboot. The latest Mario Kart and Smash Bros. will be forgotten once the next innovation-less iterations come out.

When I played Bloodborne, I was reminded of my first time playing Metroid Prime and I thought how impossible it seems nowadays that Nintendo could pull off such an expertly crafted and grand Action Adventure/RPG. Zelda U is the absolute last string of hope after their franchises have seen their worst iterations on WiiU or simply died. Also, at some point you wonder whether some of their teams can even pull off great 3D games anymore. How many more 2D platformers can they phone in? These titles are even more offensive, considering that indies show how many different great things you can still do in 2D. From Mark of the Ninja, to Lone Survivor, Shovel Knight and Axiom Verge. Yet what feels like half of Nintendo's output is just one tired 2D mascot platformer after another, rehashing decade old formulas over and over.

I wish they'd get their act together for NX, but right now they might as well have gone creatively bankrupt.
I agree that mario 3d world, NSMBU, pikmin3, mario kart 8 and smash are just "rehashes" but they are really high quality "rehashes". so yeah while I miss Wii generation nintendo where they had some more love for wacky things (like sin and punishment.. although thats also a sequel) I think those games are not going to be forgotten

however splatoon and mario maker were new concepts and I think those really defined the wiiu for me.

Neoxon

I wish they'd get their act together for NX, but right now they might as well have gone creatively bankrupt.
I agree that mario 3d world, NSMBU, mario kart 8 and smash are just "rehashes"

however splatoon and mario maker were new concepts and I think those really defined the wiiu for me.
Mario Kart 8 is easily regarded as the best entry of the franchise, & MK9 has a tough act to follow. As for Smash 4, while it's not as good as Melee, Melee was a fluke in of itself & Smash 4 is probably as realistically close as we're gonna get to how great Melee was (which, in all honesty, isn't that far off). And given the size of Smash 4's roster, the next crew to take the reigns of Smash (be it Sakurai or someone else) will either have to build on top of Smash 4's engine or do what Street Fighter does between numbered entries & start from zero (new engine, characters built from scratch, etc.).

There's also Super Mario Maker & Splatoon (as SporeCrawler mentioned) which will easily be remembered as Wii U classics alongside Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Tropical Freeze, Smash 4, & Mario Kart 8.

Asd202

This all A-team , B-team got me thinking. From what we've seen and heard it seems like Nintendo is planning to release a lot of big games for NX in the first year or so but what after that? Those A teams that everyone is talking about will take about 2-3 or even more years to make new games. Games development is getting longer and longer and this generation we have had delay after delay. It's no wonder Nintendo is merging two devices into one. They recognize that they wouldn't be able to support both. I'm sure they realized that some time ago but those game OP listed are a result of just that limited budget and development time.
Well maybe not Star Fox.

Mario Kart 8 is easily regarded as the best entry of the franchise, & MK9 has a tough act to follow. As for Smash 4, while it's not as good as Melee, Melee was a fluke in of itself & Smash 4 is probably as realistically close as we're gonna get to how great Melee was (which, in all honesty, isn't that far off). And given the size of Smash 4's roster, the next crew to take the reigns of Smash (be it Sakurai or someone else) will either have to build on top of Smash 4's engine or pull a Street Fighter & start from zero (new engine, characters built from scratch, etc.).

There's also Super Mario Maker & Splatoon (as SporeCrawler mentioned) which will easily be remembered as Wii U classics alongside Bayonetta 2, Smash 4, & Mario Kart 8.

not to forget wonderful 101 (which is strictly speaking platinum) and toad treasure trackers (which is also just an expanasion of a mario 3d world mode but still really great quality)
This all A-team , B-team got me thinking. From what we've seen and heard it seems like Nintendo is planning to release a lot of big games for NX in the first year or so but what after that? Those A teams that everyone is talking about will take about 2-3 or even more years to make new games. Games development is getting longer and longer and this generation we have had delay after delay. It's no wonder Nintendo is merging two devices into one. They recognize that they wouldn't be able to support both. I'm sure they realized that some time ago but those game you listed are a result of just that.

NX is a handheld first and foremost. its the successor to 3ds more than it is the successor to the wiiu. so i fully expect NX to get all 3ds franchises and wiiu franchises. so lets take 3ds and wiiu for example what they got at launch and at year 2

3DS
2011 : Nintendogs, Steeldiver, Pilotwings, Starfox3D, Mario3DLand, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 7, Pushmo

2012 : ArtAcademy, Kid Icarus, Crashmo, Style Savvy, NSMB2, Sticker Star, Mario Tennis

WiiU

2012: NSMBU, Nintendoland

2013 : Mario 3DWorld, NSLU, Zelda WWHD, Pikmin3, Lego City Undercover, W101, WiiFitU, Art Academy, WiiSports Club, NES Remix, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

If you look at the games nintendo released in 2011 for 3DS (which was a march release) it really was a blow out at least in the holiday season (zelda, mario kart and mario) but a really weak launch. wiiu was simliar. they had a really weak launch and a really good second year (but at that point nobody cared)

if we take into account that Zelda, Mario and Pokemon will release within months of the NX launch 2017 will be pretty set with these games (and some minor ones) the next year will probably be more filler stuff with maybe two or three high profile releases. thats already better than those drought situations that we have seen with 3DS in 2012 though

Neoxon

not to forget wonderful 101 (which is strictly speaking platinum) and toad treasure trackers (which is also just an expanasion of a mario 3d world mode but still really great quality)
Funny, I actually had W101 in my original post, but the page refreshed for some reason & I lost my progress (I did a copy-paste from earlier in my writing). I put it back in thanks to you pointing it out.

It sounds like Nintendo isn't for you. Wii U has had some of the best Nintendo games ever made.

The only note worthy Wii U games for me are Bayonetta 2, TW101, Mario Kart 8, SSB4, Xenoblade X, Splatoon to a lesser extent and Pikmin 3. The rest averaged from good to forgettable.

MrBadger

I might take this thread as an opportunity to say I thoroughly enjoyed Chibi Robo Zip Lash despite its stupid roulette system. I also think the biggest problem with Federation Force was the timing of the game. If it wasn't carrying the baggage of no Metroids since Other M, it'd have been a harmless spinoff. I don't think it's worth harping on about how it "missed the point" still, because it was clear what it wanted to be when it was announced.

It sounds like Nintendo isn't for you. Wii U has had some of the best Nintendo games ever made.

Sounds more like you started playing Nintendo games this generation. 5 years from now, not a single WiiU game will be mentioned alongside classics like Super Metroid, Mario 64, Galaxy, Prime trilogy, Paper Mario 2, F-Zero GX, Xenoblade, the first 3D Zeldas, Yoshi's Island, etc. - at least not within a general consensus.
Count on it. The WiiU library has Nintendo's smallest ambition, smallest variety and some of their worst received iterations by critics. I'm not holding my hopes for betterment on NX solely because of a combined library anymore, considering the chance that they simply continue to make tired ass 2D platformers, or straight up crap like Starfox Zero.

aBarreras

The only note worthy Wii U games for me are Bayonetta 2, TW101, Mario Kart 8, SSB4, Splatoon to a lesser extent and Pikmin 3. The rest averaged from good to forgettable.

oh gee thanks, i didnt know what games to forget but thanks to your post i know now

Top Bottom