• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: "[Microsoft is] a tech giant with a long history of dominating industries, the choices gamers have today will disappear"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Is he really that terrified of losing Call of Duty?

i am a ps fanboy but come on jim cod is just the same old shit at this point so giving to xbox is not a big deal to gamers its only to you for your cash coming in will be lower by a lot.
If you guys wouldn't cry over losing the game that gives you most revenue each year then I think Sony is more than happy not to have you in Ryan's chair.

A suit who actually does his job and delivers year on year is a red flag?
It can be argued that Jim hasn't had real success yet that he's skating off the work of those before him. And I don't think that is entirely fair tbh but we won't see his true impact on Sony for another few years. How well the division does, the games greenlit under his watch, etc. I'm sure he will do fine but he basically inherited a ship that was on the right course with solid infrastructure moving forward.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Been on Gaf for years and the narrative has long been Sony dominates Microsoft. HAHAHAHA.

But now, coming off a generation where Sony outsold MS 2 to 1 and have a millions strong lead in the current gen, somehow MS isn't supposed to out up a fight.
I have said this before but to me the funny part about this is people would bring up this MS warchest if MS got tired of getting bullied and those people were laughed at that MS would never spend huge money

Now those same people are sitting and crying about this warchest having been cracked open that Sony can't compete

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Choices, Jim?

You mean like choosing to buy third party games like FF7 Remake, Silent Hill, and Forspoken on the platform I want to play them on?

Or how about choosing to buy AAA games for $60?

Or choosing to buy a last-gen game with the knowledge that it will upgrade for free when I buy the new console?

Or maybe choosing to buy a third party game on the platform I prefer without having to worry about losing out on characters, DLC, or other benefits?

How about the choice of being able to play cross-platform with my friends on different systems when playing online?

Or being able to choose to play a large library of backwards compatible games going back 20+ years across several generations?

No major gaming company over the last 5 years has eliminated consumer choice more than Sony, Jimbo.

Last edited:

jm89

It can be argued that Jim hasn't had real success yet that he's skating off the work of those before him. And I don't think that is entirely fair tbh but we won't see his true impact on Sony for another few years. How well the division does, the games greenlit under his watch, etc. I'm sure he will do fine but he basically inherited a ship that was on the right course with solid infrastructure moving forward.
This a joke right? Do you know who was responsible for playstation being a juggernaut in eu? Feel free to go and check the interview with gbiz.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Quality of first party output. That will always be the name of the game in console industry and Microsoft knows that.

Why is Jim Ryan so desperate about missing the most generic third party game on earth then? I am sure the god like talent on their first party studios will be able to develop a COD killer. Oh, sorry I forgot they bought a little indie developer called BUNGIE for that. They developed a couple of games on itch.io Destiney or something that proved to be pretty popular. So Sony is gambling on them to produce their first AAA hit.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
He might be bitching but he's right.

Taking games that have been multiplat for years and years and locking it on your console is less choice.
It's embarrassing when Phil and co say they're doing it to give gamers more choice, even worse when the fan boys parrot this crap and think buying a few exclusive deals is anyway on the level of buying ALL 3rd party publisher's.
All I'm going to ask is this: if sony we're buying ABK, would they play nice with Microsoft or Nintendo?

I'll give you 3 guesses, but you'll only need one

Crayon

MS wrote the book on anti-competive actions in the tech sphere. It was an incredible feat for google and apple to uproot them. Of course then they turned into shady monsters, too.

Aside fromm that, it's a treat to watch phil and jim reverse-spin and downplay their own success.

Esca

Any ceo would say the same crap. They of course don't want their competition to get better and they'll say whatever they think to make sure it doesn't happen.

Honestly I'm not a fan of consolidation of publishersand devs but I don't want Xbox to be crushed. Competition is good and in the end we will all be way better off for it.

Fuck this hypocrite and all his fanboys.

They can't be bullying everyone with shit exclusive deals and then cry when someone does it to them.

Sign the contract for a long period of CoD availability on playstation and let Microsoft offer it in Gamepass for their users.
I feel getting a game exclusive for a year is different from acquiring the entire company meaning that their library of games could potentially never go to other consoles ever again if the purchaser wants.

Last edited:

sainraja

Fuck this hypocrite and all his fanboys.

They can't be bullying everyone with shit exclusive deals and then cry when someone does it to them.

Sign the contract for a long period of CoD availability on playstation and let Microsoft offer it in Gamepass for their users.
You are getting upset here over the fact that his statement **might** possibly influence a decision that involves taking games away while complaining about exclusive deals that do the same, even though, for a limited time....and everyone else is the fanboy?

Mirror, mirror...

People need to stop getting surprised by these statements. You know why they are being made lol.

Last edited:
All I'm going to ask is this: if sony we're buying ABK, would they play nice with Microsoft or Nintendo?

I'll give you 3 guesses, but you'll only need one
An imaginary scenario isn't a defence...

And if sony did that I'd be calling the same shit out. But in reality Sony can't afford or has no need to buy every 3rd party .
MS have been buying out the competition for decades, even the Simpsons did a joke on it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
96vtPJR.jpg
What's wrong with trying to get major publishers to put their games on game pass? It's not like people who want to buy them wouldn't be able to.

Kagey K

Banned
Last edited:
Dude what? Strictly from the point of view of player choice, Microsoft has been a huge proponent of cross play and cross save, they get games out day and date on Xbox, Cloud and PC and have spoken at length about getting Call of Duty on switch as well as cloud.

Sony does not do any of this, they don't do day and date PC releases, they don't put their games on their sub platform at launch, and charge publishers for cross play implementation. They have a walled garden and that's fine, but to come out and say that Microsoft would limit player choice? Excuse me what?? Literally no.

The Activision deal would mean more player choice, Call of Duty on more platforms, at different pay models, giving players more choice on where and how to buy and play Call of Duty.

I hope I'm not in a fanboy territory here, I just think this comment from Jim is objectively false. I understand from a competitive standpoint why Sony would be against the merger, but player choice FOR SURE is not even close to top of mind for them. It's a completely ludicrous statement.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I feel getting a game exclusive for a year is different from acquiring the entire company meaning that their exclusive games could potentially never go to other consoles ever again if the new owner wants.
A year lol where is FF7:R on the xbox or how about the newest 2 year deals. After 2 years the publishers might never bother releasing such an old game. The 1 year deals well lol. Still waiting on kena on xbox i don't think that turned out to be a 1 year deal.

He knows he's not losing CoD. He's terrified of losing all the anti-competitive advantages he's enjoyed on CoD for the last 8 years when his marketing contract runs out.
I honestly think he is scared of game pass. He knows for a lot of consumers this game might as well be exclusive if you don't have to spend 70-80 dollars for one game.

Last edited:
I honestly think he is scared of game pass. He knows for a lot of consumers the game might as well be exclusive if you don't have to spend 70-80 dollars for one game.
He should be scared of Game Pass. Consumers fucking love subscription services if it means they get to choose from a lot of content and that is exactly what Game Pass is shaping up to be. Game Pass is a major disruptor in the industry.

Why spend $70 on CoD when you can spend $15 a month and get CoD plus like 200 other games to play on your Xbox, PC, and Cloud?

anthony2690

Banned
Microsoft, with Final Fantasy.
I always find this odd, as Microsoft had crossplay with blazblue calamity trigger, shadow run, lost planet and probably a handful of other games between Xbox 360 and PC.

& Have actively pursued and pushed for crossplay, where as Sony were the ones denying it (till fortnite/epic pushed back) & apparently demand compensation if your game has crossplay. (No idea how true this one is, but I'm sure it was from some documents posted here and elsewhere)

I'm personally super hyped that street fighter 6, guilty gear strive, kofxv will have crossplay in the future (+ have rollback too) it's the best time to be a fighting game fan :)

He knows the Activision deal will go through. It is ultimately fine as Call of Duty will remain on PlayStation.

But he wants to cause as big of a ruckus, so the NEXT time Xbox looks to scoop up another big publisher, the agencies say, "no, that's enough".

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Why is Jim Ryan so desperate about missing the most generic third party game on earth then? I am sure the god like talent on their first party studios will be able to develop a COD killer. Oh, sorry I forgot they bought a little indie developer called BUNGIE for that. They developed a couple of games on itch.io Destiney or something that proved to be pretty popular. So Sony is gambling on them to produce their first AAA hit.

I agree with you for the most part. Between Microsoft's constant mismanagement of IPs, Sony's acquisition of Bungie, the talent of Sony first party, and the 10yr option, I don't think it's a long-term concern for Sony at all. But it is still a significant franchise that could fall under the control of a direct competitor. Why give up a status quo that has historically worked well for you in the past without at least some hooting and hollering? Wouldn't you be doing the same if you were him? It's just business.

ACESHIGH

Banned
He should be scared of Game Pass. Consumers fucking love subscription services if it means they get to choose from a lot of content and that is exactly what Game Pass is shaping up to be. Game Pass is a major disruptor in the industry.

Why spend $70 on CoD when you can spend $15 a month and get CoD plus like 200 other games to play on your Xbox, PC, and Cloud?

The way I see it, you get the most out of gamepass if you play campaign based AAA games or indie games. Someone that sinks say 500 hours on COD or other big games like the upcoming Starfield, or Forza might as well buy the game. Its cheaper than paying 15 USD a month to play it.

Knightime_X

He might be bitching but he's right.

Taking games that have been multiplat for years and years and locking it on your console is less choice.
It's embarrassing when Phil and co say they're doing it to give gamers more choice, even worse when the fan boys parrot this crap and think buying a few exclusive deals is anyway on the level of buying ALL 3rd party publisher's.
Call of duty will still be on playstation.
Meanwhile final fantasy remake has yet to come to xbox.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom