• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: "[Microsoft is] a tech giant with a long history of dominating industries, the choices gamers have today will disappear"

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
He knows the Activision deal will go through. It is ultimately fine as Call of Duty will remain on PlayStation.

But he wants to cause as big of a ruckus, so the NEXT time Xbox looks to scoop up another big publisher, the agencies say, "no, that's enough".
Thats always been the pandoras box I am kind of afraid of

Why do you think these other big companies are cheering this on?

If it goes through whats to stop that alien Zuck from buying up huge companies and making massive games exclusive to that meta quest?

The way I see it, you get the most out of gamepass if you play campaign based AAA games or indie games. Someone that sinks say 500 hours on COD or other big games like the upcoming Starfield, or Forza might as well buy the game. Its cheaper than paying 15 USD a month to play it.
Game Pass is $180 per year or the cost of 2.5 AAA games at $70 each. Unless you only play one or two games in a calendar year, or only buy games on big sales, Game Pass is unquestionably a massive deal.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Gamers shouldn’t be concerned about Sony’s pockets taking a hit.
My comment was an answer to why these two gentlemen couldn't figure out why Ryan is going crazy over this.

Brushing CoD off as not interesting or bad doesn't change the fact that Sony earns 400 million a year on Call of Duty, which is why Ryan is going crazy over this.

It was not about showing empathy for Sony losing money, but to tell why Sony is so much against the deal going through.

Lets be real though, CoD, Diablo, Starfield, Elder Scrolls, Etc "Free" day 1 on Gamepass does have a very solid chance of killing Playstation in the mid to long term. The critical mass of normies do not care that much about the single prestige first party game Sony releases every year or two, they'll buy the Black Friday $200 Series S and play all the big games for $10.
The answer to that is easy.Very easy for Sony.Every game missing should/must be made from PlayStation Studios but way better that way they can keep their Diablo or call of Duty.As exclusives Sony would made way better games as the others.Sony didn’t care for these Typ of genres and games but now they should

where is my choice for a Spiderman or Insomniac games on Xbox? where is my choice for Street Fighter 5 or Final Fantasy 14 on Xbox?
Xbox was offered Final Fantasy XIV. They refused because they did not want cross-play and SquareEnix refused to make Xbox-only servers. This happened during the short window when the Xbox 360 was outselling PS3.

As for Insomniac, maybe more people should have bought Sunset Overdrive.

Microsoft isn't competitive because it has the best games. Microsoft stays competitive because they have a monopoly in the enterprise market with Windows + Office that gives them enough cash to buy its rank in another market. And to some morons here who know shit, don't talk when you don't actually sign multimillions deals with Microsoft.

And don't start with Linux or Chromebooks...

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

A suit who actually does his job and delivers year on year is a red flag?
Can be, sure. I think this business with COD is ridiculous and adds to the negativity online.

Deciding to release 10 multiplayer games after it being a gaping hole in sonys lineup for at least 10 years is short sighted and bad business.

Being disconnected from players and having them openly mocking you for your lack of gaming knowledge and your inability to hold a controller like someone who has played a game the past 3 generations.

Shuhei Yoshida and the guy who ran PS Vita are/were people who represented the brand well. They could speak about games and systems passionately but also were executives. Jim Ryan sounds defensive and annoyed when he doesn't have pre-planned questions to answer.

This whole business with COD is embarrassing as a Sony fan. Dudes you "bought" Bungie last year. I know the deal is more akin to a 2nd party deal but they are still in the Sony family. Sony practically invented the timed exclusives trick and use it way more than Microsoft.

I don't have any financial investments in Sony so why would I want some limp boner representing one of my favorite companies?

Xbox was offered Final Fantasy XIV. They refused because they did not want cross-play and SquareEnix refused to make Xbox-only servers. This happened during the short window when the Xbox 360 was outselling PS3.

As for Insomniac, maybe more people should have bought Sunset Overdrive.
I bet if that game was released on the PS4 instead of Xbox One it would have been one of the poorer selling PS4 exclusives. I didn't think it was very good at all.

Unknown?

All I’m reading is “please don’t let MS use our own tactics against us”.

At least with MS everything is still on PC. Out of the big three it’s the option that gives gamers the most choice.
Wrong it's only on Windows. When they support Mac, Open BSD, and Linux get back to me.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I honestly think he is scared of game pass. He knows for a lot of consumers this game might as well be exclusive if you don't have to spend 70-80 dollars for one game.

cdrJfhK.jpg

yT7ODzw.jpg

John Candy No GIF by Laff

PhaseJump

Banned
Microsoft isn't competitive because it has the best games. Microsoft stays competitive because they have a monopoly in the enterprise market with Windows + Office that gives them enough cash to buy its rank in another market. And to some morons here who know shit, don't talk when you don't actually sign multimillions deals with Microsoft.

And don't start with Linux or Chromebooks...

EnchantingShortFrigatebird-max-1mb.gif

Unknown?

All I'm going to ask is this: if sony we're buying ABK, would they play nice with Microsoft or Nintendo?

I'll give you 3 guesses, but you'll only need one
They for sure wouldn't be lying about giving gamers more choices though which is what the post you quoted was laughing at.

A year lol where is FF7:R on the xbox or how about the newest 2 year deals. After 2 years the publishers might never bother releasing such an old game. The 1 year deals well lol. Still waiting on kena on xbox i don't think that turned out to be a 1 year deal.

[/URL][/URL]
Games like FF7: R are the exception, but typically don’t happen to my knowledge. Most games I’ve seen that are timed exclusive on PlayStation eventually do come to other consoles. Honestly, at this point with FF7, SE might of felt that they wouldn’t really get that many more sales on the XBOX to justify the porting and development costs. Same probably applies to Kena.

With an acquisition, they own all those games from that company, therefore they’ll probably never come to another console period. I think a huge contributing factor is the fact the PlayStation games typically sell a lot more compared to Xbox games so that’s probably another reason Sony can get these exclusive deals so easily.

Last edited:
As Hoeg said. MS just offered a 10 year for CoD to remain on PlayStation. If Sony hasn't said anything:

1. They are evaluating it.

2. They feel they can push harder to block this deal.

EDIT: This is also competition by the way. 'member....this is a business. For the ones saying "Crying Jim" he es actually doing what he is supposed to do.

Last edited:

jm89

Could you explain what Jim Ryan did well in Europe? I'm genuinely curious cause Sony has absolutely dominated Xbox for Xboxs entire existence in Europe as far as I know.
Dude literally was put in charge of building brand in Europe. I'm not writing this shit out, go watch the interview with gbiz with Chris dring.

Could you explain what Jim Ryan did well in Europe? I'm genuinely curious cause Sony has absolutely dominated Xbox for Xboxs entire existence in Europe as far as I know.
Andrew House announced a worldwide price cut and the PS3 began to sell much better worldwide, including Europe. Go Jim Ryan.

• Empathy
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Look up Jim Ryan's previous positions at playstation. He was in charge of playstation Europe for a whole decade prior to his current position.

Andrew House announced a worldwide price cut and the PS3 began to sell much better worldwide, including Europe. Go Jim Ryan.

This is what ignorance looks like.

Last edited:

Nvzman

Sony leaves you with no choice even without M&A thanks to the scummy third party deals they been pulling since 1994. Last I checked I can't play Bloodborne on PC, the platform where Souls games are the most popular and made them what they are today. Not even a competing console ffs...

What's the matter? Are you that scared mate? Spencer said time and time again COD will be available on PS. Just like Minecraft is. We have a saying in Spanish for people like Jim Ryan "El ladron cree que todos son de su condicion"

Not defending Jim's statement but Bloodborne wasnt exclusively made by From. Staff of From software worked on it but a lot of Sony Japan worked on it as well.

I hate to break it to people but Sony making first party games from scratch and having them as exclusives is not the same thing as buying out third party studios en masse and dragging them into your ecosystem. Instead of creating competition, that's removing competition. It's a significantly scummier tactic.
Microsoft should be allowed to do as it pleases but it's still extremely shitty.

What shit exclusive deals have you so butthurt where you need to dress in your green armor and cry?
Did anything he say was a lie?

Let's be real here; Jim is a hypocrite, and while Microsoft has a history of doing what he says, where it concerns Xbox specifically, that really isn't the case. And Phil has never been one to go back on his contracts or public statements. One thing people do not get with Phil is (whether you believe him or not), he seems to thoroughly enjoy being seen as the saviour and the good guy. He seems like a man who finds pride in his reputation and seems to stand on that reputation. If Phil says he'll do something, or promise something, he tends to do it. Whether he does these things out of the kindness of his heart or not, is another matter. Whether he wants to do these things, or not, is another matter.

PhaseJump

Banned
Deep down, we all know the truth.

We know what's really going on here.

Jim is just terrified that if the deal goes through, Microsoft will send their new mascot, Crash Bandcoot to yell at him in the parking lot every day.

maxresdefault.jpg

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
All I’m reading is “please don’t let MS use our own tactics against us”.

At least with MS everything is still on PC. Out of the big three it’s the option that gives gamers the most choice.
Sonys tactic is ... Buying mega publishers? Lol

You cant see the difference between buying the biggest publisher on earth, and securing a few exclusives here and there?

You act like Microsoft doesn't have the ability to offer MORE than whatever Sony does for exclusive games/content. And they do.

They did it with Tomb Raider. They did it with The Medium.

They just have the fucking worst taste when it comes to games.

Sony and Microsoft both monneyhatted Blooper Team.... MS did it for The Medium, Sony did it for Silent Hill 2. Thats simply one company having vision and the other just being retarded.
Silent HIll 2 remake should have been an Xbox exclusive after the studio literally just finished making an Xbox timed exclusive.

Microsoft could have made their own offers over the years and they did, but they choose irrelevant games.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I would like to see the receipts that GOW launch was bigger than just COD

NPD doesnt show GOW even in the top 10 year to date and 2 CODs placed in the top 2 this year alone, unless I am reading this wrong

You want to compare the sales of GoW, a game launched on just two platforms vs Multiplatform CoD??? Wow, Sony Santa Monica should be flattered!

(Honestly, I'm just busting balls in this thread and I'm only including this bit because I respect your fair and balanced ways)

ACESHIGH

Banned
A more interesting question would be: If the Activision deal does not go. What is MS going to do with all that money? Sony has 3 pillars: COD - FIFA - GTA. Buying Rockstar or EA maybe?

Last edited:

jm89

Jim Ryan discussing Jim Ryan.

Was hoping to read what GHG GHG and others thought, or had learned from different avenues less Jim Ryany, but I suppose that's a bridge too far.
They guy who was there since it's early days is telling you, but you want another source.

I'm sure another exec will be happy to be in an interview spending their time giving the story of Jim Ryan. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You want to compare the sales of GoW, a game launched on just two platforms vs Multiplatform CoD??? Wow, Sony Santa Monica should be flattered!

(Honestly, I'm just busting balls in this thread and I'm only including this bit because I respect your fair and balanced ways)
Not me that source UK Box Charts says GOW was the biggest launch of the year apparently for boxed sales (For Playstation)

Last edited:
Sony spends close to a decade devaluing Xbox with paid exclusives and then cries when Microsoft makes moves to be more competitive. Can’t make this stuff up.

The saddest thing is he’s only concerned about taking a hit on the MTX money they bring in through COD. 😂
Microsoft should have made their own games since long ago. Microsoft also pays for exclusive deals you know?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom