• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAF Corner: Choice Quotes from Nintendo Fans During TGS

Triumph

Banned
Stinkles said:
MAF was being NICE.

The shit over in that Revolution controller thread is THE MOST INSANE DENIAL EVER ON GAF. Some of the things being said there almost defy comprehension.

I can now plainly state that the same people would have been just as positive about the Virtual Boy.

PS3 fans mocked the controller and begged for a redesign.
360 fans tore PDZ a new one.
PSP fans were mildly irritated by the sticky square button.

You guys HAVE to step up to the plate and realize it is fucking stupid or you will be stuck with it, and NO THIRD PARTY SUPPORT. Or girlfriends.

Here's the modifier. THE CONTROLLER ITSELF IS A NEAT IDEA FOR A ONE-TIME PERIPHERAL, NOT A DEFAULT CONTROLLER.
Shhh... it's more fun this way!

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
You guys HAVE to step up to the plate and realize it is fucking stupid or you will be stuck with it, and NO THIRD PARTY SUPPORT. Or girlfriends

Hes right guys. Lets all hop on the next flight to japan and.....o wait this aint the bizzaro world.

Stinkles said:
MAF was being NICE.

The shit over in that Revolution controller thread is THE MOST INSANE DENIAL EVER ON GAF. Some of the things being said there almost defy comprehension.

I can now plainly state that the same people would have been just as positive about the Virtual Boy.

You guys HAVE to step up to the plate and realize it is fucking stupid or you will be stuck with it, and NO THIRD PARTY SUPPORT. Or girlfriends.

Here's the modifier. THE CONTROLLER ITSELF IS A NEAT IDEA FOR A ONE-TIME PERIPHERAL, NOT A DEFAULT CONTROLLER.

Seriously I always agree with your posts. ANd this one is no exception. STOP READING MY MIND.

Stinkles said:
MAF was being NICE.

Well I think your vision of the average *sane* Nintendo fan is ill-conceived.

Nintendo fans thought the colour purple was unwise.
They know third party support, while improved, still sucks.
They wanted them to go online.
They fucking hated Celda initially. Some still do.
They criticise AAA games because they believe they're not as good as the N64 instalments.
Lots of them bought Xboxen and Pstwo.

You'd think they were the only rabid fanboy wankers on GAF. Yet they weren't so seethingly insecure as to post threads about the Batarang banana pad or the new and horrific fascade of Joanna Dark and her wallguys. As you pointed out, some of the respective 360 and PS3 fans themselves were incensed enough about those things. Some of us are past that shit, and we're giving the PS3 pad and PD0 a chance, looking at things with an open mind.

Could it be, I wonder, that people are doing the same thing for the new Revolution controller, and even believe that it is a genuinely good and versatile idea? One with optional and expandable components that will genuinely change the games for once?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
BobbyRobby said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Holy Shit, POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

MAF, you are a god!

jesus christ why don't you just suck his dick.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Stinkles said:
MAF was being NICE.

yeah but don't you work for microsoft?
do you think the controller has 0 FPS potential?

Kroole

Kaching said:
Didn't stop anyone from treating it like one.

I read those threads and in those two only two (both were found in the same thread) people were making fun of Sony's R&D.
How many blatant troll replies exists in this one?

shuri

Banned
catfish said:
yeah but don't you work for microsoft?
do you think the controller has 0 FPS potential?

Online fps games are gonna be awesome with this controller; all those people, one foot away from the tv screen, shooting point blank.

Odysseus

Banned
MAF and Drinky ftw

This thing is so DOA. Mainstream gamers aren't going to care. Hardcore gamers on the Sony and Microsoft bandwagons aren't going to care. Non-gamers aren't going to care. Nintendo will once again be left with the increasingly fickle yet diminishing remains of their once large userbase. And, yes, I just verified this by checking my crystal ball!

Good luck to those of you expecting this thing to set the world on fire.

This is just a backlash by the Nintendo hardcore and the older WACKY JAPPY crowd against Western game design.

I can see Japan possibly embracing it simply because they've been flooded with crappy anime RPGs, big robot properties, and third-rate fanservice fighting games since the SNES era -- they're possibly ready for a change, even to something as ludicrous and trivial as the Revolution. But the West has been in a bit of a design rennaissance thanks to PC developers for some time, and I think Western audiences are quite pleased with the sports titles, FPS titles, RTS titles, and more realistically themed games that originate on our shores -- despite what alienated folks like Dave Halverson and the WACKY JAPPY set might feel.

SantaC

gu_20050916.jpg

drinkys real name is woody hearn? :lol sorry I just had to post it even though I dont share his opinion on the rev controller.

etiolate

Banned
Stinkles said:
MAF was being NICE.

If you read what Nintendo has been saying about the controller for the past many months, then the controller design wouldn't have surprised you. Or if you lsitened to all the people saying they've "seen it" then it's pretty much what was expected. Apple influence, control stuff by moving controller, basically new idea of a controller. There is still a bit of shock, but the whole concept was what people were expecting....

..so why would people be in denial over something they were expecting?

Stinkles said:
MAF was being NICE.

Not once have I EVER agreed with stinkles, but dammit if I don't agree with him here. Only it's not just Nintendo fans. I completely agree that this could have quite a few really, really cool uses. I understand many are feeling like this industry is getting stagnant and needs new ideas.

BUT YOU DO NOT DESIGN A SYSTEM AROUND IT.

That's what those table tennis games on the little carts in the mall are for. The idea of standing in your living room night after night swinging a remote control like an idiot is beyond ridiculous.

koam

sonycowboy said:
Not once have I EVER agreed with stinkles, but dammit if I don't agree with him here. Only it's not just Nintendo fans. I completely agree that this could have quite a few really, really cool uses. I understand many are feeling like this industry is getting stagnant and needs new ideas.

That's what those table tennis games on the little carts in the mall are for. The idea of standing in your living room night after night swinging a remote control like an idiot is beyond ridiculous.

I'm sure not all games will use it. It is optional afterall. Most multi-platform will be using the "classic" setup I would think. Look at the DS, not every game uses all its features. The 20 year backlog of games that you can play via the emulator will also have the "classic" control as well.

I don't blame Nintendo for putting all their focus on the "revolutionary" aspect of the controller. If they showed off the "classic" add-on or actual games people would divert their attention.

The thing is a good year away, they're going to reveal bit by bit. When they first announced the DS, they didn't even talk about the touch screen, they just said that it would have two screens. They're bound to be hiding more from us now as well.

Yeah I hope youre not going to overlook the expandable nature of this controller sonycowboy, or this talk of a classic controller "shell". We don't know -- all of that stuff could ship with the console.

You'd think it would be prerequisite for a console that plays NES/SNES/N64 and GC games out of the box.

It's premature to knock this until we've tried it and know the facts.
The technology itself and the implications are promising. I don't even see how this is disputable.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
sonycowboy said:
The thing is though, you create a system whereby it is an option for a certain controller and you run the risk of it never catching on and no one using it. That is why a few people are so hesitant about the controller, they are constantly looking at the past mistakes of companies that took innovation too far - namely Nintendo of course when they were a 1 console 1 generation behemoth.

Creating a console that focuses itself entirely on this controller means it forces dev's to create games for it or not at all. Remember, they have an option.. that same option that is making me buying a PS3 over an Xbox 360.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
sonycowboy said:

Non gamers think that sitting infront of a TV with a controller in your hand and dumb fucking look on your face is also ridiculous. This thing might actually get some people off their asses, and lets face many "gamers" need some of that.
The Revolution will also have a normal controller, if you want to play games the same way you've been doing it for the last 10 years with nothing but aesthetic changes, go ahead, you can still do that on the Revolution.

Drinky Crow said:
MAF *is* the best, Chrono. RESPECT. Get on the MAFwagon or get left behind in Chumpsville with the rest of Revolution remote apologist crowd!

And there's the Drinky Connection. Fuck yeah!, its legit. You got smacked down with pure wit and style. Ouch, that's gotta hurt.

Amir0x

Banned
Like NDS, I think it will find a sizable audience that will surprise many of the GAF pundits.
Also like NDS, I think the Rev will be really cool for certain types of games, and really god-awful for others.

My hope is that the "standard" controller attachment/extension that was spoken about is packaged IN EVERY REV system standard, because that would alleviate most of my worries. If it's sold seperately, Nintendo shouldn't even bother. Because the Rev will be home to a host of gimmicky, retard games that only asshats who have been cynical about gaming for years will love, while simultaneously isolating the fanbase that actually loves Nintendo. And the rest will be really solid/great Nintendo 1st party games, which pretty much would regulate it to N64 status in terms of game support.

So, make sure that thing is standard, Nintendo. Until them, I remain highly skeptical.

Ponn

Banned
Stinkles said:
MAF was being NICE.

Damn, good post. Ironic for me because just last night before this whole rev. controller thing me and some friends were talking about how MS actually takes polls and tests to see what gamers want and at least try to meet their needs, and Sony to a degree as well. While Nintendo just puts whatever they want out there without any testing or seeing what the public wants. And it really shows in the last couple generations of consoles. As long as there is that niche group of Nintendo fans that will buy and eat up any shit they come up with and they stay as vocal as they are Nintendo will continue on with this business model. And hey, if that group is ok with it then more power to you I say. Just don't be coming back here and bitching with the lack of third party support. If people thought this Gamecube generation of games and third parties were bad just wait till you throw this remote control in the mix. Regardless of "customizable shells" or not the game companies have to program with this basic "remote controller" in mind first and unless they come out selling a shit load of consoles developers just won't be inclined to take the time.

Ponn

Banned
All Hail C-Webb said:
Non gamers think that sitting infront of a TV with a controller in your hand and dumb fucking look on your face is also ridiculous. This thing might actually get some people off their asses, and lets face many "gamers" need some of that.
The Revolution will also have a normal controller, if you want to play games the same way you've been doing it for the last 10 years with nothing but aesthetic changes, go ahead, you can still do that on the Revolution.

I love your insult game and generalization that all gamers are lazy fat asses. Way to make friends and get people on your side.

And if you think Non-gamers think that sitting in front of a TV with a controller in your hand is dumb looking then why on earth would you think waving a fucking VCR remote at the TV would make you look any better?????

Amir0x said:
Like NDS, I think it will find a sizable audience that will surprise many of the GAF pundits.
Also like NDS, I think the Rev will be really cool for certain types of games, and really god-awful for others.

True, but I think the long term prospects for the DS in the US are pretty dim (Just my opinion) Fact is this will be a hell of lot more popular in Japan (like DS) and Nintendo is clearly marketing towards Japan, where this simplistic gaming thing has more pull than in the US.

I think most US gamers, including myself will be disappointed in the long term with DS and Rev because of the underpowered hardware (assuming Rev is underpowered), which is the limiting factor no one seems to be talking about. Controller innovation is great, but if the games look markedly inferior (no HD for example) that will be highly problematic, IMO.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
WACKY JAPPY

:lol

This is what I will think of now whenever I think of Japanese gaming culture in general.

The shit they like is so fucking off the wall. It seems so foreign. More foreign than another country. Like something from another planet.

I don't care what they like, and I don't look down upon them either. It's just fucking weird is all. Maybe they think we are weird. Who knows? But Japanese games have never been a turn on for me.

Amir0x

Banned
GitarooMan said:
True, but I think the long term prospects for the DS in the US are pretty dim (Just my opinion) Fact is this will be a hell of lot more popular in Japan (like DS) and Nintendo is clearly marketing towards Japan, where this simplistic gaming thing has more pull than in the US.

I think most US gamers, including myself will be disappointed in the long term with DS and Rev because of the underpowered hardware (assuming Rev is underpowered), which is the limiting factor no one seems to be talking about. Controller innovation is great, but if the games look markedly inferior (no HD for example) that will be highly problematic, IMO.

I don't think the longterm prospects for DS in the US are 'dim.' I think the only territory DS is going to have legitimate trouble in on the long term with be Europe. But that's neither here nor there, I'm just saying this is going to be a success, if even on a small scale, and Nintendo will profit like mad like they always do. So this isn't going to be their demise, and people aren't suddenly going to stop buying the products they make.

heidern

sonycowboy said:
The idea of standing in your living room night after night swinging a remote control like an idiot is beyond ridiculous.

Yeah, but that's the thing. You don't need to swing it around like an idiot. It detects very fine movements. You could probably hold it with one finger and thumb and play with small movements. You could place it on your thigh and use it like a mouse. There's tons of possiblitys in all the main genres including FPS, racer, platform, adventure, RTS, SRPG, RPG, puzzle etc etc. So sure some games may not be so good, but if most, the majority are better than that's a fair tradeoff.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Ponn01 said:
I love your insult game and generalization that all gamers are lazy fat asses. Way to make friends and get people on your side.

And if you think Non-gamers think that sitting in front of a TV with a controller in your hand is dumb looking then why on earth would you think waving a fucking VCR remote at the TV would make you look any better?????

I'm not trying to make friends with "lazy fat asses" anyway. :)
No doubt, I'm goign to look like a fucking retard while playing the Revolution, but I'll probably be drunk, and have 3 other people around me looking just as dumb.

I personally think that Comic Books, and games like MGS and Splinter Cell are pathetic, and so are the people that use them. When I see a thread about something like that, I just don't enter it. I don't understand why people who don't like something (that they're not obliged to buy) need to try and ruin it for others.
Nintendo is offering people a different way of playing games, they're not taking anything away, just giving people a new option, how someone could complain about that is beyond me.

Ponn

Banned
All Hail C-Webb said:
I'm not trying to make friends with "lazy fat asses" anyway. :)
No doubt, I'm goign to look like a fucking retard while playing the Revolution, but I'll probably be drunk, and have 3 other people around me looking just as dumb.

I personally think that Comic Books, and games like MGS and Splinter Cell are pathetic, and so are the people that use them. When I see a thread about something like that, I just don't enter it. I don't understand why people who don't like something (that they're not obliged to buy) need to try and ruin it for others.
Nintendo is offering people a different way of playing games, they're not taking anything away, just giving people a new option, how someone could complain about that is beyond me.

You are in the wrong forums.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
sonycowboy said:

I agree with this. But apparently every dumb idea is about non-gamers.

"Dumb" is defined subjectively and with relation to personal tastes.
So is what people find fun.

Assuming Revolution has some stuff you find "dumb" on it. Do you think that's all there will be?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
sonycowboy said:

I'd be the last to disagree that a lot of people are overplaying the impact of the Rev controller.

But look at what's got people so jazzed about the MGS4 trailer at the same time: in REALTIME, we're seeing a depth and quality of character action and interaction with the environment that has to leave you wondering just how well we'd be able to control something like that with a standard gamepad like the dualshock. The gamepad just doesn't have the capability to communicate the breadth and nuance of action that these next-gen consoles seem capable of producing. Short of having the console read our minds for exactly what we want to do next in a game, how do we keep the gulf from widening between what kind of action and interaction the input mechanism allows vs. what the system itself can convey? Eyetoy and the Rev controller are ways of *supplementing* and *extending* the input that standard gamepads allow. They don't close the gap, but you've got to start somewhere.

Ranger X

If Sony would have come up with some anal controller, they would be the laugh of the earth.
When it's Nintendo we are supposed to think it's a revolution?

Anyway, nice thread, the quotes were hilarious actually

BRING MORE PHOTOSHOPS!!

Spike

I don't want to be seen as defending the Revolution, simple because I don't actually know enough about the games to make a decision either way.

But, I think alot of people are overreacting to the controller. The people who are overreacting are the long-time gamers it seems, the ones who grew up from the Atari 2600 days.

Nintendo has said that they are trying to entice the both hardcore and non-gamers. Same as the DS. Maybe what they've shown yesterday, is the way in which they plan to get the non-gamers. Maybe for the hardcore, the standard controller shell is what they're going to use to get them excited.

Looking at the DS, AWDS is playable with or without using the touch screen. So why can't the same thing happen with the Rev? Maybe the long-time gamers will always use the standard controller shell, whereas the non-gamers can use the new controller to play. Hell, looking at MP:Hunters, they include different control layouts, so maybe we'll be seeing this in most Revolution games?

Top Bottom