• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's ANT-MAN Trailer #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
ouz4Oge.jpg

🙏🙏🙏

Kinda looks like Nathan Drake there.

Lunar15

I hope so too, but I'm just keeping my expectations in check. The two things I want most out of the film is to see them establish Hank Pym in the history of the MCU in a convincing way, and to show how Scott Lang is a different sort of superhero. Given Marvel Studio's track record so far, I'll say the former will probably be done fairly well, but I dunno about the latter...

This is almost exactly what I meant when I said I expected them to subvert origin story tropes. Really expected them to go with the whole "this guy is nothing like the other superheroes" route, but really, all I got from this trailer is "This guy is going to be just like those other guys."

This is why I was excited about Wright working on the movie, he knows how to take tropes and subvert them, all while actually still having some kind of emotional core.

JDSN

Banned
Anyone know who Michael Peña is playing? Or is he just some dude who has 3-4 lines? Glad to see him there though, he's a great actor.

He is gonna be playing the same character from Observe and Report, and will eventually replace Benedict Cabbagepatch as the second Dr Strange.

Trailer was good, but that is some of the most serious sounding music I've ever heard.

I think this was the biggest problem with the trailer. It should've transitioned into something far less serious when the Ant-Man name drop came. The Guardians teaser did this to perfection.

Jarmel

Banned
I think people should let go of the Wright standard. The film won't be as good as that mystical level and all it will do is leave you disappointed no matter how good the film turns out.

It's best to just accept this as another Marvel product and go from there.

CLEEK

I have a lot of time for Edgar Wright due to Spaced, Shawn of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. But while his directorial style is always great, but his films are a mixed bag.

Scott Pigram bored the living piss out of me. It might have been a faithful comic book adaptation, and was full of Wright's trademark style, but was way too long and very lacking as a stand along film. The World's End is one of the most disappointing films I've ever seen. Like a particularly shit Doctor Who episode dragged out to 90 minutes.

So it could have gone either way with him directing Ant-Man.

NYR

An un-Marvel like mis-step.

How funny would be if this tanks like people thought GOTG would have?

Mr.Swag

Banned
HOW THE FUCK did no one mention before that Rudd wouldl be a great Drake? holy shit it makes too much sense now.

on topic. saw the trailer one more time. it's not really obvious hes a thief or that his daughter is sick, but yea i saw him get arrested.

guess this teaser is more for the hardcore marvel types, and not regular folk.

That trailer was not good. Generic set-up and editing, overly-serious tone even with goofy scenes like the bug, and had one of those trendy "Lol, comic book names are dumb" gags.

And aesthetically something's off. It reminds me of Green Lantern and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I can't put my finger on what it is. Just something doesn't gel. It looks almost washed-out even though it's colorful, and the CG and live action aren't gelling (Though it's early).

The CG looks somewhat cheap and the production values seem kind of low, I feel like Arrow is able to have similar production values despite being a show.

Also being in 16:9 instead of 22:9 isn't helping.

Scott Pilgrim was fantastic, but keep up your crusade. Whether Edgar Wright makes good or bad movies has no bearing on this movie anymore anyways, so Edgar Wright defenders and haters are wasting their time frankly.

Scott pilgrim was not perfect, the 2nd half was pretty messy. I say this as a devout Wright and Scott Pilgrim fan.

I got none of that from the trailer. hope they dont play this one in theaters.

Well you should have at least seen him being arrested and in prison. That was in the trailer.

Cassie Lang being sick is part of Scott's backstory and isn't specifically shown in the trailer, so for that part, I can understand how you wouldn't get that. There are shots of her in the trailer though, so you could go under the assumption that he wants to do something that would make his daughter proud of him instead of ashamed of him.

Renekton

IIRC a first trailer is usually very textbook to appeal to regular audience.

Likely and hopefully we'll see more funky stuff later on.

-griffy-

Banned
I think this was the biggest problem with the trailer. It should've transitioned into something far less serious when the Ant-Man name drop came. The Guardians teaser did this to perfection.

I'd wager they didn't want this to come off too much like Guardians so they avoided that. But they ended up making it look too generic. The fact it was a teaser and had limited money shots due to effects not being done didn't help either.

KHarvey16

An actor who I don't like is an actor who I don't like. I don't need two hours of the latest Shia LeBeouf film to tell you I'm probably not going to like him either. Your holier than thou attitude in this thread is hilarious though. How much context do I need for two one-liners anyway? Please enlighten me oh learned one.

You didn't like him to begin with, which is the point I'm making. You're acting like this teaser had enough to convince you one way or another, when the truth is you were never going to feel any other way. The fact there isn't enough to lead a sensible, open minded person to come to any conclusion as to how good or bad he is obviously means nothing to you.

Xevren

Is it bad if the thing I'm looking forward to most is Paul Rudd going on Conan to see him use the Mac n Me clip again? It just never gets old.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The shrinking effects are pretty much the same.

Also, if Wright did a lot of the work on the visual look of the effects, hope he actually gets credited. Dude worked on this movie for years.

I'm moreso mean the pace, tone, shot choice, and energy of that sequence. That's what Reed has to live up to in my mind. I'm fine with the cast etc., but it's Reed's creativity and the script that have me the most concerned.

I hope so too, but I'm just keeping my expectations in check. The two things I want most out of the film is to see them establish Hank Pym in the history of the MCU in a convincing way, and to show how Scott Lang is a different sort of superhero. Given Marvel Studio's track record so far, I'll say the former will probably be done fairly well, but I dunno about the latter...

I think the problem with this trailer is how it doesn't seem to separate itself in a unique way through tone, from the other Marvel movies. Guardians teaser, albeit, received with mix reactions, showed a tone that would separate it from other Marvel movies in being comical and self aware at the ridiculous nature of the story.

This pretty much plays out as any generic superhero trailer would. The main guy is different, he has something to protect and the risks involve the world so it's time to suit up. The trailer doesn't mention the whole heist aspect of the film but instead chooses to focus on the daughter relationship possibly to market towards families. Unlike the Guardians teaser, I feel like the really played it safe with this trailer rather than going all out and showing just how crazy and different Ant-Man could and possibly will be.

That being, when you look back on it the first trailer for Iron Man 3 played up the serious aspect of it when it undoubtedly became one of the more comedic Marvel films Really as others have said before I feel like Marvel pushed out this trailer so people would at least get familiar with the character before marketing of the Avengers will push it behind a wall of unawareness.

D i Z

I liked it for a first glimpse. The next trailer will have more of what the actual conflict is, how this fits into the MCU, and how Ant-Man gets down. This might be the first real branching out film that broadens the audience a little more. Should be fun.

McNei1y

Meh. I feel like the film will still deliver the comedic suaveness that is Paul Rudd. I'm sure they're keeping that underwraps. Trailer didn't look spectacular but still hyped.

v1lla21

He is gonna be playing the same character from Observe and Report, and will eventually replace Benedict Cabbagepatch as the second Dr Strange.
Marvel's Dr. Extraño. No contaban con su astucia.

Personally I'm fed of this dude, it's as if his the only American-Mexican around. smh
He's one of the few recognizable ones and he's been getting roles so I see why they went with him.

Draconian

You didn't like him to begin with, which is the point I'm making. You're acting like this teaser had enough to convince you one way or another, when the truth is you were never going to feel any other way. The fact there isn't enough to lead a sensible, open minded person to come to any conclusion as to how good or bad he is obviously means nothing to you.

I didn't come to any sort of conclusion. I made a prediction. I said that I thought he'd be a weak link. I'm done arguing about this, because frankly nothing in this trailer merits any kind of lengthy debate.

mreddie

If only we have some rock soundtrack like the Iron Man trailers, I think the first trailers of the three Iron Man films had AC/DC.

Also, expect to see more during the Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom