• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May 2016 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes June 7th

Welfare

Ok, so it looks something will be announced/released very soon after E3.

"Offer valid while supplies last"
718x305_Microsoft_299_June16.png

And on the official Microsoft Offers page on Gamestop's website, they have this for the $30 offer on the 1TB bundles. "Offer valid through May 29 - June 14"

This is a stock clearing move.

RexNovis

Banned

And on the official Microsoft Offers page on Gamestop's website, they have this for the $30 offer on the 1TB bundles. "Offer valid through May 29 - June 14"

Yep. Basically means two things:

1. There must be a hefty amount of backstock to clear out.

2. Slim SKU is very likely to release on or shortly after E3.

Knowing that a reveal of Scorpio doesnt make much sense. You'd figure it'd crater demand for a slim remodel.

Welfare

Yep. Basically means two things:

1. There must be a hefty amount of backstock to clear out.

2. Slim SKU is very likely to release on or shortly after E3.

Knowing that a reveal of Scorpio doesnt make much sense. You'd figure it'd crater demand for a slim remodel.

If MS want to rebrand Xbox as a brand of devices and not just a singular console, they can position Scorpio as a premium device you can buy that'll give you top of the line gaming performance plus 4K media, and the Xbox One as a budget device.

Both will have the same access to the Xbox ecosystem, just one is a premium device for next year and the XB1 is for cheaper access.

RexNovis

Banned
If MS want to rebrand Xbox as a brand of devices and not just a singular console, they can position Scorpio as a premium device you can buy that'll give you top of the line gaming performance plus 4K media, and the Xbox One as a budget device.

Both will have the same access to the Xbox ecosystem, just one is a premium device for next year and the XB1 is for cheaper access.

That seems like a really tricky thing to sell their audience. It'd be incredibly interesting to watch though. I was saying before this whole Scorpio stuff came out how I was actually most interested in what MS does at E3 since it seems like a pivotal moment for them with all of their new initiatives and their shifts in focus towards Windows 10 and UWP. Recent news only cements this even more so in my opinion. It's definitely the conference I find myself the most curious about this year.

Fat4all

Banned
That seems like a really tricky thing to sell their audience. It'd be incredibly interesting to watch though. I was saying before this whole Scorpio stuff came out how I was actually most interested in what MS does at E3 since it seems like a pivotal moment for them with all of their new initiatives and their shifts in focus towards Windows 10 and UWP. Recent news only cements this even more so in my opinion. It's definitely the conference I find myself the most curious about this year.

It almost makes me wonder if they are gonna try and go the whole hog with the Xbox One approach of a set-top family box, while,trying to gain the major console gamers with Scorpio. The only massive issue I can see is the cost of the Scorpio (well, and the marketing approach of the "mini" or whatever t ends up being).

But they can't just right back into marketing it for families and TV TV TV just yet, the Scorpio is still over a year away.

This E3 is gonna be weird.

Without a doubt

Welfare

Yeah, it will be very tricky, but I think they can do it. Mention that Xbox and Windows 10 are merging and thanks to Win10, multiple Xbox devices can coexist and allow for different tiers of performance/price.

- That streaming stick can be a very cheap (~$100) stream device that gives you access to every media app on Win10 + Xbox One.
- The Xbox Mini can be a low tier, disc-less game device (~$150) that has access to small Win10 game apps, small XB1 titles, and maybe even 360 BC titles.
- Xbox One is the Xbox One. $299
- Xbox Scorpio is a 4K media device, Oculus support, and plays everything the XB1 can play but at higher performance. By Fall 2017, this could be $399 while the XB1 drops to $249.

Microsoft's conference is the one I'm most looking forward to because of stuff like this. Dreams 2.0 be damned.

Boke1879

It almost makes me wonder if they are gonna try and go the whole hog with the Xbox One approach of a set-top family box, while,trying to gain the major console gamers with Scorpio. The only massive issue I can see is the cost of the Scorpio (well, and the marketing approach of the "mini" or whatever t ends up being).

But they can't just right back into marketing it for families and TV TV TV just yet, the Scorpio is still over a year away.

This E3 is gonna be weird.

It would be entirely counter productive imo if they talk about the tv dongle and set top box stuff at E3. They run the risk of the TV TV TV TV meme shit all over again.

Fat4all

Banned
It would be entirely counter productive imo if they talk about the tv dongle and set top box stuff at E3. They run the risk of the TV TV TV TV meme shit all over again.

I agree that's it's not something to do at E3, but it now would make a lot more sense for them to market it as such.

Yeah, it will be very tricky, but I think they can do it. Mention that Xbox and Windows 10 are merging and thanks to Win10, multiple Xbox devices can coexist and allow for different tiers of performance/price.

- That streaming stick can be a very cheap (~$100) stream device that gives you access to every media app on Win10 + Xbox One.
- The Xbox Mini can be a low tier, disc-less game device (~$150) that has access to small Win10 game apps, small XB1 titles, and maybe even 360 BC titles.
- Xbox Scorpio is a 4K media device, Oculus support, and plays everything the XB1 can play but at higher performance. By Fall 2017, this could be $399 while the XB1 drops to $249.

Microsoft's conference is the one I'm most looking forward to because of stuff like this. Dreams 2.0 be damned.

LOL, unfortunately for MS most of the gaming population doesn't think this way. Streaming stick and all the stuff won't do a thing for xbox.

Fat4all

Banned

I'd be super worried about proliferation between the stick and the mini tbh. They can't be too close in price, and they have to be clearly different.

Welfare

I'd be super worried about proliferation between the stick and the mini tbh. They can't be too close in price, and they have to be clearly different.

The stick will most likely be a literal USB stick with Xbox branding. However, I just realized that those sticks often retail for <$50, so an Xbox Stick will probably be ~$50.

The Mini can be a tiny box as it would be a stream box.

$100 difference with clear visual differences should be enough.

Fat4all

Banned
The stick will most likely be a literal USB stick with Xbox branding. However, I just realized that those sticks often retail for <$50, so an Xbox Stick will probably be ~$50.

The Mini can be a tiny box as it would be a stream box.

$100 difference with clear visual differences should be enough.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense.

My brain is just bouncing between the Chromecast, Roku Stick, and Apple TV. I'm wondering if MS will be able to carve out a decent chunk of that market. It took them a while with tablets, but their phone attempt was pretty flat and i think getting into the market late was a big issue for them.

RexNovis

Banned

Yea I agree its definitely the one to watch this year. Its going to be the culmination of a lot of work and reorganizing on their part. I've no doubt theyve put a lot of time and thought into how best to pitch it all to their audience so I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

The general thought is that Uncharted outdid Overwatch right?

At retail? Absolutely yes. Including digital? Definitely up for debate.

Vena

It's too bad banned people have their avatars removed. I've been told mine could use a refresh and was just going to steal Edson's. Oh well.

EDIT: The extent of my photo editing skeelz. Thanks MS Paint!

If you had an idea in mind, we could make you one, haha.

Elandyll

Banned

Otoh, and if these are even real, nothing about these products is (in theory) ground breaking, and is frankly just following what others have already done, by the dozens in some cases (media USB stick).

If there is indeed a Slim, Mini and a USB stick that will be announced, MS will not only have to clearly differentiate these from each other, but also show how they matter and make sense in a world where their competition already has PSTV/ Vita + (rooted for now) phones/ tablets for remote play, where a chrome/ Fire TV is $40 and a PS4 offers a serious cable TV alternative+virtual DVR for $40+ a month...

Ultimately a slim at $299 is potentially a "repackaged" XB1 at the same price it's been since November 2015 (maybe 1 month aside), and I think that if Sony delivers indeed on PSVR and the software, they can still easily have a fantastic E3, even if Neo is not introduced (I am not expecting it until GC/ PGW). What I do expect though, as said before, is a PS4 at $299 starting this E3 though.

RexNovis

Banned
Anyone else want to take a crack at my Bold Predictions for this month?

And now it's time for:

RexNovis' Bold Predictions
May 2016 Edition

-Overwatch will be outsold by Uncharted 4 at retail but Overwatch's WW total revenue including digital and microtransactions will not only exceed UC4 but also exceed that of Halo 5's initial reported HW, Accessory and Software revenue of $400 million by at least 1.5 times.

- Doom will rank in the top 4 for the month sell more than 2.5 times that of The Division which will rank in the bottom 3 for the month

- Uncharted 4 will sell less than 1 million copies at retail excluding bundles but manage to outsell Battleborn by more than 9 times.

- Doom will sell the most retail copies on XB1.

- Homefront will not only not rank bit will sell fewer than 50k copies and will sell less than half as many copies at retail as Battleborn.

- Ratchet and Clank, Minecrafy, and The Division will all rank higher than Battleborn.

- PS4 will outsell XB1 by a margin of at least 70k units and will sell more than 6 times the number of units as WiiU​

Was hoping to get more discussion out of this one.

Also, I realize this is off topic but my favorite game (Nox) from my all time favorite development studio (Westwood Studios) is available for free right now. If you are a fan of ARPGs and value my judgement at all you should go download it right this second.

Seriously guys this game is such a hidden gem. It was doomed sales wise from the word go because it released close to Diablo 2 and well being in the same genre ... yea it didnt go well... Such a shame though since despite being in the same genre they are such drastically different games. Anyway I just wanted to point this out. Its not every day you see one of your favorite old school games pop up as a free download. I hope some of y'all will give it a shot.

Okay Rex. Let's try.
-Overwatch will be outsold by Uncharted 4 at retail but Overwatch's WW total revenue including digital and microtransactions will not only exceed UC4 but also exceed that of Halo 5's initial reported HW, Accessory and Software revenue of $400 million by at least 1.5 times.

I agree. 1.5 is high, but it should easily beat 400m
- Doom will rank in the top 4 for the month sell more than 2.5 times that of The Division which will rank in the bottom 3 for the month
Doom might be heavily attached to PC digital, so no top 4 for me, to make a bold counter
- Uncharted 4 will sell less than 1 million copies at retail excluding bundles but manage to outsell Battleborn by more than 9 times.
Uncharted will sell more than a million, bundles not counted.
- Doom will sell the most retail copies on XB1.
Xbox is highly associated with doom. So yes.
- Homefront will not only not rank bit will sell fewer than 50k copies and will sell less than half as many copies at retail as Battleborn.
Homefront will beat Battleborn. Thanks to digital for the latter not counting.
- Ratchet and Clank, Minecrafy, and The Division will all rank higher than Battleborn.
Absolutely
- PS4 will outsell XB1 by a margin of at least 70k units and will sell more than 6 times the number of units as WiiU
I predicted 2:1, gap higher than 70k is for sure.

Doing this formatting stuff on a small phone is awful.

RexNovis

Banned
Okay Rex. Let's try.
I agree. 1.5 is high, but it should easily beat 400m

1.5 is high but I think with the success they are seeing in Korea (it skyrocketed to #2 most streamed game in Korea and has stayed there all week) and other countries around the world (See plentiful amounts of fanart form places like UAE, Spain, Russia etc) I think it definitely stands a chance of hitting it.

Doom might be heavily attached to PC digital, so no top 4 for me, to make a bold counter

Thats a good point. No doubt the PC share will be much larger than most FPS titles thanks to Doom's legacy. Thats the main reason I said top 4 instead of top 3. I think it will still sell enough on consoles at retail (especially XB1) to make a dent.

Uncharted will sell more than a million, bundles not counted.

It certainly could but my thinking was that with 2.7 million ww including digital copies sold it might be a lot closer than many are predicting here so I'm lowballing in an effort to sort of play devil's advocate. I do think its possible it will hit or even break 1 million for retail copies but I really dont think it would exceed 1 million by much if any if that were the case. The determining factor here will be how many of the limited editions UC4 bundles were manufactured and sold as I feel those would eat into the sales that would have otherwise been retail copies. I'm basically hedging my bets with my prediction that there will be a non trivial amount of bundles sold.

Xbox is highly associated with doom. So yes.

It goes beyond just association. I think with UC4 releasing and Overwatch seemingly being much more popular on PS4 that this would deter some consumers from purchasing Doom for PS4 as well. 3 games in one month is a lot to ask consumers to spend on. Compare this with the situation on Xb1 and you have Overwatch which by most accounts is performing decently but nowhere near as well as on PS4 and no flagship exclusive title releasing this month. Thus I think Xb1 consumers are more likely to plop the money down for Doom not having two other full retail releases competing for that cash. Throw in the fact that Doom is in a genre that tends to be more popular with the XB1 consumer base on average and I think its a definite possibility that it sells more there.

Homefront will beat Battleborn. Thanks to digital for the latter not counting.

Interesting. You think digital sales for Battleborn will be substantial enough to make up the difference? I would actually think the opposite as it seems to be a game a lot of people are wary of and that would lead to more retail purchases due to the promise of being able to trade back in if it ends up dissapointing.
Absolutely

I predicted 2:1, gap higher than 70k is for sure.

Wow thats a massive gap. Whats your thinking on this? Why do you think the gap will be so large?

Doing this formatting stuff on a small phone is awful.

Yea... I do not envy that. My giant fingers make trying to type on the phone at all a nightmare. Especially on tiny phones designed for little Japanese hands... Basically, touch keyboards are the devil.

Javin98

Banned
DOOM was heavily slanted in PS4's favor in the UK, in spite of the marketing campaign. I think there's a chance for an upset come next NPD.
Yep, I remember DOOM heavily favouring the PS4 as well, which is why I was surprised to see Rex predicting the XB1 version ahead.

The gap is getting close to 2 mill now in the US, Doom will sell more on PS4, even if UC4 sells 1.2 million that's what? less then 10% of Ps4 owners in the US, lots of people to buy doom or both.

At this point, there are zero games, no matter the genre, historical association with Xbox, etc. that I would expect to sell better on the Xbox. I even think that TitanFall 2 and Mass Effect 4 will sell better on PS4.

I wonder how retail-GAF would describe Uncharted's legs ? I'm just semi-surprised to see it won back the best selling game rank on Amazon, now that Overwatch has slow down.

Is he really gone for good though? He had become a member at one point. Maybe this is only temporary.

possible, i think he got juniored for spamming topics, though that's speculative

most member gone to juniors are given mercy and eventually return (on the same username), some aren't so fortunate

All this talk about Xbox Sticks... can someone explain to me why someone would buy one of those? As in, what would it do for a non-Xbox One owner? What would it do for an Xbox One owner? Would it interest a PS4 owner in any way, shape or form? I'm just wondering why this would be a big thing and why it would be announced at a gaming event. I'm clearly missing something.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Even if this is an NPD thread, thought it was fun to see the battle between Battleborn and OverWatch in Japan.

FIRST WEEK:

[PS4] Overwatch - 58.363 / NEW
[PS4] Battleborn - 5.145 / NEW

Over 11:1 gap :p

All this talk about Xbox Sticks... can someone explain to me why someone would buy one of those? As in, what would it do for a non-Xbox One owner? What would it do for an Xbox One owner? Would it interest a PS4 owner in any way, shape or form? I'm just wondering why this would be a big thing and why it would be announced at a gaming event. I'm clearly missing something.

It's called a "Stick" because it's what they hope happens when they throw this and all the other crazy ideas at the wall.

Top Bottom