• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So where do all these loons go after this? Become even more radical somewhere else?
OhpJWpd.gif

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Black Panther’s identity is being the tribal king of an African country. The other Black Panthers are the previous kings of Wakanda, e.g. T'Challa's father. Captain America has been taken on by multiple unrelated characters in the comics and his ethnicity and lineage aren't important — American idealism doesn’t have a skin tone. He’s not Captain White.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
There's no reason to reduce whatever small representation minorities have, so a white black panther would fulfill no purpose except to sow division.

So it’s okay to flip one superheroes color but not the other? Got it.
But Captain America's color was not flipped. The original, white-skinned one is part of the universe, and co-exists with the new one. They're two different characters.

Last edited:
Black Panther’s identity is being the tribal king of an African country. The other Black Panthers are the previous kings of Wakanda, e.g. T'Challa's father. Captain America has been taken on by multiple unrelated characters in the comics and his ethnicity and lineage aren't important — American idealism doesn’t have a skin tone. He’s not Captain White.
So if we’re going by that standard wouldn’t that ring true for just about every white superhero? I mean, how many white superheroes have their race tied to the background?

There's no reason to reduce whatever small representation minorities have, so a white black panther would fulfill no purpose except to sow division.

But Captain America's color was not flipped. The original, white-skinned one is part of the universe, and co-exists with the new one. They're two different characters.
You’re exactly right. It would be dumb as hell to change Black Panther to a white guy. It would make no sense at all and people would rightfully be pissed about it. So getting upset at other people for being irritated that a superhero who’s been a white guy for 50 years or so can suddenly change colors for reasons is silly.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
You’re exactly right. It would be dumb as hell to change Black Panther to a white guy. It would make no sense at all and people would rightfully be pissed about it. So getting upset at other people for being irritated that a superhero who’s been a white guy for 50 years or so can suddenly change colors for reasons is silly.
But Captain America isn't "suddenly changing colors for reasons", that's my point. The original white guy is still part of the MCU, he is still part of the universe. There's nothing wrong with a second Captain America getting to have different skin color.

Look, I dislike race-swapping in certain circunstances too, specifically when a character has an estabilished fanbase and is under-represented in television or anywhere else. If they are suddenly tailored towards another audience, it can come of as pretty disrespectful to the original fans. I'm a strong believer that, if you want better minority representation in media, it's better to create new characters for it.

But here's the thing: the fans of the original Captain America have already been served. They weren't ignored. And a second, dark-skinned Captain America is exactly a new character, not an old one that was race-swapped. Said character has also been built up narratively for a few years, so it doesn't come out of nowhere "for reasons" either.

This is 100% a good example of how to do minority superheroes right.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It's actually kind of depressing how upset some people are because of that.

What people mistake for racism is most of the time just people on the spectrum that have trouble dealing with things that change.

New character that is minority = they’ll be ok.
Old character that was minority remains minority = they’ll be ok.
Old character that was black or white becomes the other way around = that’s when they throw a fit.

Soodanim

I only watched the last episode last night and I haven’t yet been back into the thread for it, but I don’t get why anyone would have a problem with black Captain America. No one else can really ever be Steve, that point is made very early on and repeated through the wrong person taking up the role. No one is worthy of Thor’s hammer, but Sam best represents Steve’s ideals and it’s why he was chosen to carry the mantle. It’s right there in your face.

Conversely to the ones questioning black CA, I think a flaw of the show was more that they dropped the ideal of not caring about skin colour the MCU showed but didn’t tell. Everyone was always above it and it was never a problem for anyone. It feels to me that in a universe with the powers, tech and everything else that’s so commonplace it should be less divided than our one.

TLDR Not only should it not be an issue in this universe, it shouldn’t be an issue in that universe.

Ionian

A wonderful morning to you my friend! You just made me chuckle again :messenger_blowing_kiss:.

Who he?
She's being dragged to hell.

Morning buddy! Thought it was a woman in the clip?

If he/she is being dragged to hell, what use is a train. HELP ME TRAAAAAAIN.

Just it looks bizzarely weird and hilarious.

Peggies

Gold Member
Morning buddy! Thought it was a woman in the clip?

If he/she is being dragged to hell, what use is a train. HELP ME TRAAAAAAIN.

Just it looks bizzarely weird and hilarious.
No she's screaming "HELP ME" to Justin Long who is standing on the platform screaming "NOOOO".

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Steve Rogers is still white though. He is also about a hundred years old now. Sam Wilson however has always been black. So no races have been changed. Someone else has just picked up the mantle. It's like in Batman Beyond where Bruce Wayne is replaced because he can't be Batman anymore.

Captain America isn't a character. It's an identity. Anyone can pick up the shield. Black Panther is completely different in terms of lore and application. So there can be a black Captain America, but there can't be a white Black Panther.

Jaysen

Banned
Steve Rogers is still white though. He is also about a hundred years old now. Sam Wilson however has always been black. So no races have been changed. Someone else has just picked up the mantle. It's like in Batman Beyond where Bruce Wayne is replaced because he can't be Batman anymore.

Captain America isn't a character. It's an identity. Anyone can pick up the shield. Black Panther is completely different in terms of lore and application. So there can be a black Captain America, but there can't be a white Black Panther.
You’re spending a lot of time on someone who’s identity is built on being willfully dense.

You’re spending a lot of time on someone who’s identity is built on being willfully dense.
It’s really weird that you’ve been allowed to run around being a fucking prick to several people over the last couple weeks. Basically watched you be a complete douche bag to just about everyone in the George Floyd thread and you’ve continued doing that just about everywhere else you post.

As far as my back and forth with Nobody_Important Nobody_Important , he and I have always been respectful towards one another regardless of what side of the row we sit on.

Jaysen

Banned
It’s really weird that you’ve been allowed to run around being a fucking prick to several people over the last couple weeks. Basically watched you be a complete douche bag to just about everyone in the George Floyd thread and you’ve continued doing that just about everywhere else you post.

As far as my back and forth with Nobody_Important Nobody_Important , he and I have always been respectful towards one another regardless of what side of the row we sit on.
Someone using the logic - “You took one of ours, we should have one of yours!” isnt someone that needs to be treated with respect. Form a respectable argument, and maybe you will earn some. Does it really bother you so much that black people might have more than one or two heroes? Captain America is a symbol. Any American can play that role. But you knew that. Just like you know that asking for the king of a Wakanda to be white is inflammatory garbage. The difference between what you want and what Disney wants is immense. They see diversity as a way of making more of the audience happy. The intent of your request that Wakanda have a white king is to upset a large subset of the audience.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Exactly. It's silly. If enough people desire these changes, then they will be made, because these characters are made up, remember? If popular demands wolverine to be black, then studios will make him black because that's how this has worked since the beginning of time. If you get upset by these silly changes because you are unable to look at the world outside of your own narrow purview, it's your problem, and nobody should have to be subjected to constant crying and complaining by folks that have a difficult time adjusting to a constantly changing world.

Someone using the logic - “You took one of ours, we should have one of yours!” isnt someone that needs to be treated with respect. Form a respectable argument, and maybe you will earn some. Does it really bother you so much that black people might have more than one or two heroes? Captain America is a symbol. Any American can play that role. But you knew that. Just like you know that asking for the king of a Wakanda to be white is inflammatory garbage. The difference between what you want and what Disney wants is immense. They see diversity as a way of making more of the audience happy. The intent of your request that Wakanda have a white king is to upset a large subset of the audience.

Honestly, I don’t care if you treat me with respect. I’ve seen enough or your posts being a dick to other people to know you’re not someone I’d care to have conversations with anyway. I mean, you’ve been here all of a month and immediately started being an asshole so I’ll go ahead and assume you either needed a break from Resetera or you were banned for some of the same shit you’ve been doing here.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
The difference between what you want and what Disney wants is immense. They see diversity as a way of making more of the audience happy.

You grow and nurture any franchise by appealing to as many people as humanly possible. You kill a franchise by gatekeeping and shutting out people who could potentially keep said franchise alive forever.

That's why all of those YouTubers (a lot of which get posted here to back up stupid hot takes) are the biggest fucking idiots on the entire internet. They're too stupid to realize that if a company only tailored their franchise to aging 50 year old fanboys, that franchise would die off along with the fanboys. If you make your franchise appealing to a wider audience, that audience will keep it alive and thriving long after the angry YouTubers have died alone.

A couple of years ago Disney started producing these short (2-3 min) animated shorts focusing on specific OT Star Wars characters. They were animated and just used audio from the movies. Very simple. They also released a line of action figures to tie-in with them. Of course the shorts sparked endless daily YouTube videos about how Disney was killing Star Wars with those and because of that Kathleen Kennedy was already fired.

But these idiots were too stupid to even grasp the purpose of the shorts. Lucasfilm was trying to introduce Star Wars to kids under 10. One thing Marvel was able to do in their first decade of movies was cultivate a very young and loyal fanbase. Lucasfilm wasn't able to manage that as well in 40 years (that comes directly from someone at LFL before those shorts were created).

Just look at the Sequel Trilogy hate for an example and how the movies gasp, focused on an icky GIRL. George Lucas spent more than twenty years raising two daughters that he adopted. These people don't want to hear that it was ALWAYS George's idea to focus the trilogy on a GIRL who learns to become a Jedi - all because he knew from his daughters that he needed to expand the franchise beyond just boys.

Lol yes nobody wants women in Star Wars this is why Princess Leia was always hated.

Fuck did someone time warp up back to 2017? These idiotic arguments still?

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
You grow and nurture any franchise by appealing to as many people as humanly possible. You kill a franchise by gatekeeping and shutting out people who could potentially keep said franchise alive forever.

That's why all of those YouTubers (a lot of which get posted here to back up stupid hot takes) are the biggest fucking idiots on the entire internet. They're too stupid to realize that if a company only tailored their franchise to aging 50 year old fanboys, that franchise would die off along with the fanboys. If you make your franchise appealing to a wider audience, that audience will keep it alive and thriving long after the angry YouTubers have died alone.

A couple of years ago Disney started producing these short (2-3 min) animated shorts focusing on specific OT Star Wars characters. They were animated and just used audio from the movies. Very simple. They also released a line of action figures to tie-in with them. Of course the shorts sparked endless daily YouTube videos about how Disney was killing Star Wars with those and because of that Kathleen Kennedy was already fired.

But these idiots were too stupid to even grasp the purpose of the shorts. Lucasfilm was trying to introduce Star Wars to kids under 10. One thing Marvel was able to do in their first decade of movies was cultivate a very young and loyal fanbase. Lucasfilm wasn't able to manage that as well in 40 years (that comes directly from someone at LFL before those shorts were created).

Just look at the Sequel Trilogy hate for an example and how the movies gasp, focused on an icky GIRL. George Lucas spent more than twenty years raising two daughters that he adopted. These people don't want to hear that it was ALWAYS George's idea to focus the trilogy on a GIRL who learns to become a Jedi - all because he knew from his daughters that he needed to expand the franchise beyond just boys.
It’s unfortunate, but it’s also great to see Disney not giving in. I may not enjoy all of their content, but at least they’re trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom