• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So shit, i was riding on my bike with my phone stuck to this top tier phone holder set-up the other day, quadlock and i accidentally go over this fucking rough stretch of bitumen and it gets shaken lose.. Falls onto the road and a corner gets shattered, damn lucky it didn't bounce under a car..

I ask them to pay for a replacement screen and send them gopro videos of the rough surface.. i attach my phone case and try to get it to fall off but without my phone's added weight it doesn't budge... I'm riding my bike over murderously bumpy roads repeatedly trying to shake this thing loose so eventually i say "that's enough" and send them my footage of this stretch of bitumenmageddon before i ruin my bike as well as my phone...

...they basically say since my videos don't show the bumps actually causing my phone to dislodge they don't believe me, because mountain bike mounts apparently work fine...

So basically I'm out the cost of a Google pixel 4a 5g screen replacement+labour (few hundred bucks here) because their lock failed and they're saying "sorry bro we're happy to send you a replacement mount and a case designed specifically for your phone"...

I've asked them to reconsider.

Like a pigskin in the balls

1uj3xck885n31.gif

/rant
I've been debating on going caseless with my cellphone (recently did this with my iPad and I won't go back unless the iPad comes with during travel). Yesterday I had a great reminder of why I keep the case on my phone. Allergies hit out of nowhere, huge sneeze and the phone goes flying.

No damage so far to the phone, praise the ghost of Steven Jobs. 🙏

Last edited:

nush

this top tier phone holder set-up
images

I worked for a company that made car accessories, you know stuff powered from the cigarette lighter. There were so many customer service calls that claimed "Something broke on my car and it happened just after I installed your product". Yeah, no, fuck off at most you'll just need to replace a 10 cents fuse.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's been a busy week for the canceling types. First, we had Dave Chappelle on the chopping block again(good luck) now we have Letitia Wright who plays Shuri in the MCU. They must be exhausted.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I need to comb through my humble bundle unclaimed keys and throw some out there for giveaways. Nothing great, but at least it will have a home.

Star-Lord

I need to comb through my humble bundle unclaimed keys and throw some out there for giveaways. Nothing great, but at least it will have a home.
I must admit, it’s been a while since I even had a look at any humble bundle. I noticed they had Amnesia Rebirth on this months — I loved the first one, so I’m tempted to give it a go. You know, for charity.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I must admit, it’s been a while since I even had a look at any humble bundle. I noticed they had Amnesia Rebirth on this months — I loved the first one, so I’m tempted to give it a go. You know, for charity.
Its been a while for me too. It’s rare for me to buy games much these days. I keep an eye on new releases and if something catches my eye I’ll get it. Long gone are the days where I would buy up every damn bundle and never touch any of the games.

Star-Lord

Its been a while for me too. It’s rare for me to buy games much these days. I keep an eye on new releases and if something catches my eye I’ll get it. Long gone are the days where I would buy up every damn bundle and never touch any of the games.
During my late teens/early twenties, I was spending money I didn’t really have on Steam. I must have bought and downloaded at least 300-350 games, half of them unplayed. The majority of them were cheap indie games, but still. My spending habits now are completely different. I only have a PS4 Pro to play on, and my next big purchase is Switch OLED with Metroid Dread, and that’ll do me for a few years.

Thaedolus

During my late teens/early twenties, I was spending money I didn’t really have on Steam. I must have bought and downloaded at least 300-350 games, half of them unplayed. The majority of them were cheap indie games, but still. My spending habits now are completely different. I only have a PS4 Pro to play on, and my next big purchase is Switch OLED with Metroid Dread, and that’ll do me for a few years.
Well at least your taste in games isn’t terrible 😬

Last edited:
In other news I'm wondering if I could be Sidney again when my name change comes up.

I'm not sure if that name is in the abyss forever because of the account deletion.

scream 1 neve campbell GIF

Star-Lord

Haha!

I think it's a common thing to think truthfully. It's the same deal on Reddit. I assume most people are Americans that I'm talking with.

I see you are from Oxford.
True. It’s like you say, unless proven otherwise I just assume everyone I speak to online is American. It’s weird how my brain just makes that assumption.

And indeed I am, although I must admit I’m not Oxford born and bred. Born in Cork, studied in Liverpool, moved to Oxford.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
In other news I'm wondering if I could be Sidney again when my name change comes up.

I'm not sure if that name is in the abyss forever because of the account deletion.

scream 1 neve campbell GIF

Not if I ask to take that name first......

I also forgot how lucky I am when it comes to money (and also how well off I am precisely because I made it a point to pay off all of my debt despite how shitty it was). Listened to an acquittance and later an old friend complain about money needs and such. The entire time I was thinking "shit, I have like ten times what this guy needs sitting around in one of my savings accounts - twice as much in my checking". Not a brag, just happy I took care of my finances and live beneath my means. Meanwhile we got millennials out here living in $400k houses and driving BMW's when they're earning Honda Accord and condo money.

Last edited:

nush

Not a brag, just happy I took care of my finances and live beneath my means. Meanwhile we got millennials out here living in $400k houses and driving BMW's when they're earning Honda Accord and condo money.

That's where it's at, you've gpt to grind the low level enemies before taking on the boss.

Find your absolute minimum comfort that you can support then work up from there but if you fall back you have a base you are happy(ish) with.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Not if I ask to take that name first......

I also forgot how lucky I am when it comes to money (and also how well off I am precisely because I made it a point to pay off all of my debt despite how shitty it was). Listened to an acquittance and later an old friend complain about money needs and such. The entire time I was thinking "shit, I have like ten times what this guy needs sitting around in one of my savings accounts - twice as much in my checking". Not a brag, just happy I took care of my finances and live beneath my means. Meanwhile we got millennials out here living in $400k houses and driving BMW's when they're earning Honda Accord and condo money.
I am the same way. I had to stop bringing the topic of money up around some family because they just don't understand why they can't keep their head above water. It sucks and I've given them the advice that helped me get my finances together. But, they don't care enough to take the basic steps. It's easier to complain.

I should add that I believe a lot of this is rooted in that dopamine release addiction most of us have as a side effect of social media & smartphones. Unless people detox and learn to go for the long-term payoffs instead of the short term wins, this won't change.

Last edited:
I am the same way. I had to stop bringing the topic of money up around some family because they just don't understand why they can't keep their head above water. It sucks and I've given them the advice that helped me get my finances together. But, they don't care enough to take the basic steps. It's easier to complain.

I should add that I believe a lot of this is rooted in that dopamine release addiction most of us have as a side effect of social media & smartphones. Unless people detox and learn to go for the long-term payoffs instead of the short term wins, this won't change.
Absoloutely man. Those impulse buys and short dopamine rushes aren't worth it. I've cut back on my spending lately and it has made a massive difference. i used to buy like every game release and always had a fear of missing out on the next big thing.

Not being able to get a PS5 so easily has been a blessing in disguise. I started to appreciate my backlog more on PS4 and just playing games that have I have been neglecting for so long.

I now have a bit saved for a rainy day and I have everything I really want at the moment. So it really goes a long way.

Star-Lord

I wish I could say I’m quite good with my money, but I can’t even say I’m remotely good with my money. I am very much an impulse buyer. I could’ve saved hundreds a year buying a cheap, older iPhone and a separate SIM-only plan. But nope, I’m paying £51 a month for unlimited data and an iPhone 12 Pro, all because I want the brand recognition.

I wish I could say I’m quite good with my money, but I can’t even say I’m remotely good with my money. I am very much an impulse buyer. I could’ve saved hundreds a year buying a cheap, older iPhone and a separate SIM-only plan. But nope, I’m paying £51 a month for unlimited data and an iPhone 12 Pro, all because I want the brand recognition.
Damn, and I sometimes feel like I'm paying too much for Netflix per month. :messenger_winking: I don't think I could ever justify that for a phone but it depends how much use you get out of it and how comfortable you are.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
It all depends. The key is living below your means. If you make enough to afford the phone & plan and can save money on the side (retirement accounts, savings, etc. ) then you’re fine. If you’re living paycheck to paycheck then it’s definitely time to re-evaluate where your moneys goes versus what actually brings value to your life.
Easier said than done of course. It takes discipline to make long term financial changes.

Star-Lord

Damn, and I sometimes feel like I'm paying too much for Netflix per month. :messenger_winking: I don't think I could ever justify that for a phone but it depends how much use you get out of it and how comfortable you are.
It all depends. The key is living below your means. If you make enough to afford the phone & plan and can save money on the side (retirement accounts, savings, etc. ) then you’re fine. If you’re living paycheck to paycheck then it’s definitely time to re-evaluate where your moneys goes versus what actually brings value to your life. Easier said than done of course. It takes discipline to make long term financial changes.
I make enough to pay my rent each month and pay my bills, all my subscriptions (I have way too many) and still have enough to live a relatively comfortable life, but I wish I’d saved more when I was younger, rather than squander it on immaterial goods. I’m definitely paying for my greed now.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage I'm heading to a local CBD shop later to buy some delta 8 gummies. Do you think I should eat a whole one at once? I don't have much weed tolerance. I just want to see if i can switch from booze to edibles.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage I'm heading to a local CBD shop later to buy some delta 8 gummies. Do you think I should eat a whole one at once? I don't have much weed tolerance. I just want to see if i can switch from booze to edibles.
Start low—around 10mg. If it doesn’t hit in 2 hours, go for 20mg.

I think body weight has a lot to do with it. I’m roughly 150lbs and 20mg hits me pretty nicely.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
My new neighbor who replaced Orange Shirt is a real winner. Was screaming at his girlfriend yesterday for like an hour straight

"SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU STUPID BITCH" "SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU STUPID CUNT" "I'M SO OVER YOU, YOU CUNT, JUST GO AWAY AND DIE ALREADY"

One way or another it's always trailer trash. He's not nearly as annoying though so I'll take it over the alternative.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Even though delta 8 gummies aren't that strong, they're largely portioned with people without much tolerance in mind. Because of that many people I know tried starting eating a half, and merely got tired or even developed a foggy headache. But eating the entire edible at once, they reached the euphoric feeling they were searching for. So, my advice, is try the entire gummy first. Scale back from there if it actually ends up being too intense.

BTW I've been eating delta 8 and now delta 9 gummies for the past year. 25mg gummies of delta 8 gets me right - not all fucked up, but I wouldn't want to drive on them. When I want to really relax and later sleep, a mix of 10mg of delta 9 and 10 mg of CBD -does the trick this company here sales some:

Top Bottom