• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread Overview Trailer

Those look like cutscenes to me. If the game consistently looks this good, I'll be very pleased. I'm happy enough with it already that I pre-ordered it, but the raw gameplay footage I saw at E3 does remind me of the team's 3DS roots, but improved and updated in HD.

How was the 3DS game? I never played it but it looks well received.

This overview trailer sold me a lot more than the reveal trailer, although generally I'm not a fan of games that have chase sequences so I hope that's a lot more limited than the term "Dread" implies

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I feel like I need to stop watching these trailers. They've sold me on the game at this point.
you-have-lost-control-alba.gif

jigglet

Banned
Was this the Dread that was leaked like 10 years ago? Or a totally different game that just shares the same name? Did Nintendo ever confirm this?

Fuck me.

Do I wanna watch this or not?

Does this show even more new abilities and stuff we didn't know about?

Spoilery for someone who wants at least some semblance of going in fresh?

I've seen every trailer up til this point but a 5 min overview sounds pretty significant...
Don't do it. I can feel the instant regret that will follow. Enjoy the blackout and the full experience ahead.

Salmon

Looks sweet, more excited every time they show it and I genuinely loved that silly over-enunciating voice over haha.

Depends on which OLED you bought and how good the upscaling from 1080p is, which brand/model did you get?
I got the 77" LG G1 Evo model, so I'm set to throw anything at it.

IKSTUGA

Still don't get the complaints about the visuals, I think Dread is easily the best looking Metroid game and I've played almost all of them.
Can't believe this game is less than one month away 🤤

Last edited:

The Skull

Still don't get the complaints about the visuals, I think Dread is easily the best looking Metroid game and I've played almost all of them.
Can't believe this game is less than one month away 🤤
Nah it's definitely a 240p 2ds game that's been upscaled into a budget mobile game, or so some idiots would have you believe.

Orta

Banned
The game is likely going to be fantastic, anyone bitching about the lack of ray-tracing and 8k resolution really needs their balls run through a rusty mangle.

I'm probably going to play through Metroid Fusion before Dread comes out which had me thinking Nintendo is leaving a lot of money on the table by not having Fusion available at least as a stand alone downloadable title. It seems like a no brainer. For people like me it's not an issue, but I'm sure there's tons of people that would be interested in playing Fusion before Dread drops next month

carlosrox

Banned
slight cell -shaded aesthetic this has

I uh....what?

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is nothing even remotely cell shaded in this game.

Honestly my only worry is the music. We've heard solid stuff so far but I can think of two tracks so far that sound concerningly midi.

It should sound good though since even Samis Returns (a 3DS game) sounded excellent.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

They really are pushing the western vibe for this game. Usually their videos are in japanese with some English translator, lol.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Samus Returns was "fine" and graphically was butt ugly. There's still more "soul" and "personality" in Super Metroid's 16 bits than in all of Metroid Dread's marketing. Why Nintendo keeps turning to Mercurystream is beyond me.

Define what has more soul about Super Metroid's 16 bits over Dread without having played it.

I’ve only watched the first trailer as to not spoil myself but it seems like it’s too much robots and steel and not enough creatures and natural environments like Super Metroid. I hope I’m wrong when I get to play through it.

McGILLAZ

Define what has more soul about Super Metroid's 16 bits over Dread without having played it.
Considering Nintendo's released at least 3 or more trailers for this game now, I have a good idea of what to expect - especially having played Mercurystream's abysmal Castlevania and mediocre reboot of Metroid 2.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I’ve only watched the first trailer as to not spoil myself but it seems like it’s too much robots and steel and not enough creatures and natural environments like Super Metroid. I hope I’m wrong when I get to play through it.
I've watched all of the trailers and there are vastly more creatures than robots so you're in luck.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I don't like the graphics either. It really bothers me.

Everything in this 2.5D style looks... clean and plastic. I don't get the Metroid feeling at all from the textures and designs here. I'd much prefer that they either go full 3D (Prime) or go full 2D (modernized sprites or even hand-drawn, I don't care, as long as it isn't some skeletal-animation flash shit like Rayman).

CGiRanger

Banned
Maaaaaaaan I am so looking forward to Metroid Prime 4 so I can see all the "this shit sux why isn't more like Metroid Dread".
I can still recall in the pre-release times of the original Metroid Prime how much hate it was getting because the Visuals did not look good in screenshots. Only in motion (because of 60fps) did its finer qualities stand out. Will certainly be expecting more of the same, and I'm almost certain there'll be "This looks no better than Metroid Prime 1/2/3!" comments.

Sleepwalker

I'm not a huge fan of metroidvania games and I don't particularly impressed by the visual side of it. But the gameplay looks pretty cool, willing to give it a chance.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's more of a instadeath-esque enemy. Taking the SA-X enemy-model to the next level.
Pretty much. I think it'll be on par with the Alien Drone from Alien Isolation. I'm sure they won't be as tense as that though since I'm sure as the game progresses you'll be able to combat it.

Schnozberry

Pretty much. I think it'll be on par with the Alien Drone from Alien Isolation. I'm sure they won't be as tense as that though since I'm sure as the game progresses you'll be able to combat it.
They seem to have weak points tied to various abilities in the game. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a different EMMI for each environment in the game that makes initial exploration of new areas harrowing until you unlock the ability required to evade.

Top Bottom