• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miceosoft deserves praise for their BC initiative!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
giphy.gif

vj27

Banned
Sonic Unleashed and Generations have FPS boost. Generations also got resolution boost so that one runs at 4K/60.

It's pretty damn good to revisit some of these games with a new coat of paint.

I also replayed Fallout 3 last year. 4K/60 and instant SSD load times. It's so good. :messenger_heart:
Facts I need to get sonic unleashed it’s my favorite modern 3d sonic game, even more than generations. Had it on the Wii and played it to death lmao, I was a sonic feign back then. Pretty sure the Wii version was missing a lot of things compared to the 360 one so I definitely need to get that. Probably looks glorious with the fps boost.

I bet there like both $10 or something but I just need to focus on beating Metroid prime and deadspace atm lol don’t need anymore goated games to play, yet.

And yooo I got my sister a xbone s yeaaars and despite us game sharing and me buying everything all she does is play fallout new Vegas 🤦🏾‍♂️

Three

the downplaying is embarassing lol

recently just played all the Gears and they definitely deserver praise for it.
We already gave them credit 6 years ago in 2017 when it was still alive.

BC is still great but we don't need to perform felatio on MS every year. DenchDeckard and the threads before it seem more concerned about how much praise MS is getting for it instead of just talking about their positive experience with it.

BC is still great but we don't need to perform felatio on MS every year. DenchDeckard and the threads before it seem more concerned about how much praise MS is getting for it instead of just talking about their positive experience with it.
Give me a break dude, there's threads everywhere praising Sony and Nitnendo with no issues, you're triggered over this and use an example that's nearly 6 years old, not everyone read these forums back then.

You don't have to click on the thread you know, but I'm sure you can't go a day without throwing Xbox shade.

DarkBatman

Give me a break dude, there's threads everywhere praising Sony and Nitnendo with no issues, you're triggered over this and use an example that's nearly 6 years old, not everyone read these forums back then.

You don't have to click on the thread you know, but I'm sure you can't go a day without throwing Xbox shade.
Why are you criticizing him, he's making a fair point. If several "Here's something that MS has done great in the past" threads are opened in one day, then that should also be allowed to be mentioned. And your counterargument is just plain ridiculous, lately there has been a flood of "MS is so great pro-gamer, Sony and Nintendo not so much" threads.

Three

I used the 6yr old thread to show that this feature is 6 years old and they got credit then. Read it.

If there are "Sony deserves praise for X" , or "Nintendo deserves praise for Y" threads everywhere (where Y and X are 6+ years old too) I must have missed them but if they did exist I'd also question why they're concerned about how much praise the company is getting instead of just talking about how much they like X and Y. Nobody is triggered here.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

BC is dead.....Or they got everything done that wasn't road blocked by licensing and legal constants? Still very much a thing and works great. Not sure why it the topic rattles you.

You know If you don't like a platform... You can just move along. Not everything is a war.

Three

Did mod change the title? I remember the title was different.
It's the same, spelling mistake maintained.
BC is dead.....Or they got everything done that wasn't road blocked by licensing and legal constants? Still very much a thing and works great. Not sure why it the topic rattles you.

You know If you don't like a platform... You can just move along. Not everything is a war.
Nobody is warring except maybe those who worship companies and want others to praise them. The BC initiative has died, nobody is saying BC no longer functions. Don't let that stop you though.

Last edited:

yazenov

I have no problem with companies given respect and praise whenever its deserved, but I suspect it was not in good faith given the OP's well known Fandom and history with everything related to MS.

Its like the guy who always praises his preferred company but never any criticism towards them such as the glaring lack of new games. Because the trillion-dollar company clearly needs more free advertising in the forums I guess.

If this topic was made by someone else other than the usual suspects then Im sure it would be more well received.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yep, I bought the console for Christmas specifically for BC and I've been having a blast catching up on old 360 games. Played through a bunch of them already, including all Gears games that never came to PC and I was blown away with how good they look. That's the kind of longevity and support I would expect for every video game. It's simply amazing.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
This and the occasional game pass stint with a couple buddies has been the only thing keeping me in the game this gen. The new games just haven’t been there.

I agree, what they’ve done is awesome. I love playing old favorites in pristine form.
Some of the ones I’m most thankful for are Ninja Gaiden Black and the MGS HD collection. Both of them available at a crisp 60 frames in 4K resolution.

Btw, if we keep making threads praising Xbox, it’s going to cause the next mass exodus. I can’t believe the amount of salt that pours out each time.

I’m seeing a lot of passive-aggressive emojis, accusations of shilling, and outcry that we don’t need to keep giving them fellatio. Wild!

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing this out OP.

Will check out Dead Space 3.

Am surprised people are down playing backwards compatibility on this thread.

I played Baldurs Gate 2 some 20 yrs after release and it's in my top 3 GOAT.

Drew1440

Going as far as they're legally able to go isn't exactly abandoning it. They said they've done all they can do.
I'm not sure, there's a load of first party xbox and 360 games that arn't supported on the Xbox One like Quantum redshift and Brute force. Plus there's games that are on Steam that also came out for the OG Xbox that sre not supported like Project Snowblind and Gunmetal.
They all had the same publisher so I can't see why they're not supported.

pasterpl

He is rattled by any positive news/opinions about MS, he doesn’t have Xbox but he feels the urge to go most Xbox threads to contribute with his shiposting. Mods accept this as neogaf is mostly team blue.

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing this out OP.

Will check out Dead Space 3.

Am surprised people are down playing backwards compatibility on this thread.

I played Baldurs Gate 2 some 20 yrs after release and it's in my top 3 GOAT.

I'm enjoying BC right now. Although I'll admit it's a bit different depending on the platform that your on. Still it's nice to have it.

Mods accept this as neogaf is mostly team blue.

Mods don't protect team blue here. Both DenchDeckard DenchDeckard and thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best threads were shut down. They didn't choose between the two.

Last edited:

pasterpl

I'm enjoying BC right now. Although I'll admit it's a bit different depending on the platform that your on. Still it's nice to have it.

Mods don't protect team blue here. Both DenchDeckard DenchDeckard and thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best threads were shut down. They didn't choose between the two.

That’s your opinion. Over last 3 years me being here on NeoGaf I can see who is being banned more often, who is allowed to call other user names and who is not etc. we have got a group of team blue members shitposting, down playing etc. warring in lots of Xbox threads without any consequences.

It's nice to have till it becomes essential.

I have Symphony of the Night, Portal 2, Hard Corps: Uprising and a few other iconic titles lined up. Looking forward to playing them.

I wouldn't say it's essential. The PS4 survived without any BC and did extremely well in the market. Having it is really nice though as I'm enjoying Sekiro on my PS5. I do agree that with Microsoft it goes back further and can have additional benefits depending on the title. Nintendo are really the only ones losing out here but it's understandable given the nature of the system.

That’s your opinion. Over last 3 years me being here on NeoGaf I can see who is being banned more often, who is allowed to call other user names and who is not etc. we have got a group of team blue members shitposting, down playing etc. warring in lots of Xbox threads without any consequences.

And I've seen the same happen with team Blue and so what? Really bad trolls have been banned from both sides and I've been here a while as well.

Last edited:

Z O N E

It’s a good feature but a shame they abandoned their BC programmes far too early, both in terms of games available and FPS boost. I honestly thought it would be an ongoing project.

They stopped because of licensing, technical and legal constraints. So even if they wanted to add more, they can't.

I'm just glad Lost Odyssey was one of the games they added.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don't think ive ever quoted that freak and bolded his words but OK...lmao :messenger_beaming:
I will keep that same energy thanks. Especially when consoles don't have first party games coming out. I ripped MS for having no games in 2022.

Already had hi fi rush in 2023 for xbox and redfall is on its way. Great start to the year x.
Now play Mad Max.

It's sexy on the series X
Omg, you are kidding. Is it enhanced? I bought it for like 2 quid the other day as it was so cheap, didnt know. Ill fire it up now for some breakfast fun times.
How about we all try to keep his current energy instead and highlight the fun and awesomeness and get each other to play some games instead of just whine and complain about how shit everything is all day long?
Should have a positive-only month on GAF and see how it is.
Thanks Fredrik Fredrik ill try keep the positive vibes :)
a5fukIJ.gif

Imagine being a grown ass dude have nothing to do making a thread like this🤦 .Why do people always need to suck up to their preferred corpo or CEOs?.They don't need your advertising.
And same goes for Sony or Nintendo.

what the actual fuck are we supposed to post about on here if it's not anything to do with the joys of games we are actually playing. Just live in the fucking negative assed threads of big corpo purchases driving each other mad over ABK?

What a sad miserable existence? What should i make of your posts when you are enjoying or mentioning a game you are playing. Would be shilling for that game....fucking hell bro. Are you OK?

Good use of Nic cage though, I love that man.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I tried searching but couldn't find a BC thread to put this in.
Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

So, me and one of my friends have been loving the dead space vibes lately and as we had never fully completed dead space 3 we decided to jump back In on xbox as we had started it years ago on pc.

We thought, let's play on xbox just for ease of setting up. Comfy couch etc.

So here we are, almost all achievements...playing through the awakening DLC now after completing the main game on impossible difficulty.

We are just blown away by Microsofts love and consideration to backwards compatibility. We fired it up and was like. This ain't 30fps and the HDR looks pretty damn good. One press of the guide and it lists auto hdr and framerate boost on the right side. I don't know what resolution it's running at but ir looks pretty clean on my 65" lg CX. I imagine it's 1080p?

Anyway, just really impressive stuff and adds serious life into backwards compatible games. Loving it. What a great Friday night just playing some nice action horror vibes with all the lights off and shooting shit while shooting shit.

Is there any other good co op games from the 360 era that has this kind of love and attention? I imagine it's a game by game basis?

Xbox BC is really amazing. 🔥 🔥 🔥
Although I tend not to turn frame rate boost on if it reduces visual quality improvements (luckily the Xbox BC team thought this through and they do not enable it by default unless they can guarantee it will not happen), I have to say that BC is one of the things they got super right (albeit it might place a bit more of a tax on their consoles in terms of bit thicker / more abstracted API’s).

Auto HDR is better in some titles than I would have thought (sometimes just allowing bright colours to shine brighter and other post processing tricks are enough to get some of the extra pop you expect from HDR without changing the engine of any of the games they support), loading times improvements (I keep pointing at Deadly Premonition as they change the gameplay: loading times and frame rate improvements are massive, especially the former, and they make playing the game properly more enjoyable [quickly peeking into people’s places in the game and out taking a few seconds instead of 15s or more for each house is the difference between using this feature and not bothering unless you have to])… Not sure if it is down to the way API’s expose streaming off of disk on Xbox, but I think I have seen more benefit of the SSD on these old titles than I have seen on PS5, but then again I was not comparing like for like (PS4 on PS5) and I have not maybe paid as much attention.

Many games do have texturing improvements (16x Anisotropic Filtering makes visuals a lot clearer and pleasant to the eyes in some of this games were trilinear had jarring mip mapping lines and bilinear could get mushy quickly) and the resolution improvement is a big help for games where surface and geometry aliasing could get pretty bad at times (Quincux AA on Xbox without using component cables could give a bit of a Vaseline effect, but render those games at 4K and well, it helps a lot ;)). BC is a reason to go XSX for me as you get the best improvements (and downsampling) plus the Xbox One X version of Xbox One games.

I think they could go somewhat further with some older games that do not support Widescreen like on Xbox (Morrowind could support mods like OpenMW bringing lots of goodies, but also a MS patch/emulator hack could probably enable widescreen and push back the fog a tad). They only throw us a bone when they have HW to sell though :/… so likely nothing until they have their next generation HW ready :(.

I bought so many games I either had on PS3 or, for the majority, I would have wanted to buy on PS3 but just cannot anymore (and I do not really want to connect the old launch PS3 anymore, very busy home theatre / lack of space for the old big boy), Jimbo lost a lot of purchases there IMHO. They are getting better, but there is far more they can do with enhancing PS1/PS2 games and if they bring PS3 BC there is so so much untapped potential it is not even funny.

Quasicat

Are you tired of not playing your old games on 4k? Does your system not allow you to play all your library?

We got you covered here. In steam/PC land, we take our library seriously. We have our masterpiece fans who are dedicating their time making your favourite console emulators. We allow you to buy old games. I don't mean 4 year old games, but a 20 years old games too. From the likes of Morrowind to vampire masquerade series. All your wild dreams can be enjoyed in this wonderful world.

All you need to do is invest in our $1k all you can build computer, download our client steam and other clients from our partnership. Then give 5 prays to our lord Gabe for delivering this great service.

What are you waiting for? Come join us and enjoy all you can feast games. We have the classics Sony, Xbox and Nintendo games on our system. You also get to explore the nsfw games that you can't find on your consoles.

Join Us Mystery Science Theater 3000 GIF by MOODMAN
I’m more into the old stuff than the new stuff. I just got a Steam Deck thinking it would be a novelty. Holy cow! It’s amazing how I can play pretty much anything…on my TV and portable mode!

Shut0wen

It’s a good feature but a shame they abandoned their BC programmes far too early, both in terms of games available and FPS boost. I honestly thought it would be an ongoing project.
Tbf it actually sounds like 90% of the games just didnt work though i do believe they could definitely add alot more xbox original games but i know licensing was a major set back for them as well but theres been alot of times they have said they tried to get certain games on there and get hit with huge glitches half way through games

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Tbf it actually sounds like 90% of the games just didnt work though i do believe they could definitely add alot more xbox original games but i know licensing was a major set back for them as well but theres been alot of times they have said they tried to get certain games on there and get hit with huge glitches half way through games

I legitimately believe that if the Activision merger goes through, they will definitely put in a bit more work to get some of the 360 Activision era games that are currently not BC, to get them working.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I read that as the "big cock initiative".

Mice-o-soft is a very cool name.

Some of you guys are too much into caring about big corporations. Demand more and better games, not prizes for some CEO. (This goes for all the teams, not just the green lads)

sainraja

buying a game again or only getting it through a subscription is not backwards compatibility. backwards compatibility is when you can use your already owned games and play them on the new hardware
I mean, ok, fine...the point I was trying to make was that you can play some PS1/2 games on the system...but yes, you have to re-purchase them.
Out of curiosity, how do you define Nintendo's back catalog, that being the NES, SNES, N64, etc.?

Perhaps I worded it badly. I was speaking about currently. PS5 is good for prior PS4 gen, but pretty terrible for anything before that. PS3 is only available via streaming. PS1 and PS2 selection is pretty damn poor. Most of the PS2 games available are the ones they already did during their PS2 on PS4 period(and quickly abandoned)
Ok, gotcha. Understood.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It doesn’t deserve praise because it’s shit. Many, many games are missing, only some have enhancements. Overall, it’s a piss poor effort,

Other than Nintendo, can you name any other console maker putting in ANY real kind of effort?

. . .may not be up to your standards but immediately assuming it's because lack of interest just doesn't truck.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yeah their solution is amazing. Although business wise not the smartest but for consumer benefit it is really big. I mean they get 0 from people playing their old games. Yet they did it anyway.

sn0man

We are just blown away by Microsofts love and consideration to backwards compatibility.
I personally feel like it is MS trying very hard to make the “always online” or “require an online check in” world okay and not a big deal.

Looking at it optimistically, it does really show the lengths you can go if you’re willing to rewrite the executables for a bunch of 12 year old games can be on a console.

Sony should have more love for you put the game into the new system and it works on the old system.

PC should also have love for not needing to worry about it as a constantly improving ~25 year old platform.

Synless

LMAO, the only thing thats piss poor is sony's pathetic attempt. Xbox BC is the best of the big 3 by far, not even close.

Other than Nintendo, can you name any other console maker putting in ANY real kind of effort?

. . .may not be up to your standards but immediately assuming it's because lack of interest just doesn't truck.

As opposite to what? Sony and Nintendo brilliant solution of paying for the same game again? Yeah I would go with MS on this one.
You misunderstand. I’m not saying anyone is doing a stellar job. I am not celebrating a half assed approach either.

Only 6% of Xbox games are backwards compatible. Only 56% of 360 games are playable. Of those 360 titles, only only 59 (9%) are enhanced with either framerrate boost, Higher res or both.

You can check that here if you need to.

IF THAT is worth jerking off to then you fucks just have shit low standards. That bar is pathetic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom