• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Call of Duty and other popular AB games will continue to be released on PlayStation and Nintendo platforms beyond current agreements

Portugeezer

This blog shows Microsoft isn't willing to take any chances with the activision deal being blocked. It's that important. And why wouldn't it be? It's a game changer for their entire videogame forturnes, and one of the biggest acquisitions in their history, if not the biggest?? Microsoft doesn't want part of it, some of it, they don't want to risk any divestitures or carve outs. They want the entire thing, and if making existing popular games from Activision Blizzard available everywhere where they already exist means getting this deal approved, that's what you do.

These are the most important parts of the blog basically. Notice what it does not commit? To release all Activision Blizzard games on Playstation. It specifically says "continue to make" and uses language such as "And we have committed to Sony that we will also make them"

Translation: Microsoft has a definition of *them* and it's Call of Duty and other popular Activision Blizzard. Crash, COD, Diablo, Overwatch, Tony Hawk, they all stay on PS going forward. But You can't "continue to make" games available that were never available on Playstation in the first place. Meaning exclusives are happening, they just won't be from the games everybody already loves from Activision today. I'm totally okay with that.

uubqZnW.png

0P2UUGn.png

LCQCaSY.png
If you want to be cynical (and it's MS, so yeah of course), you could point out that they don't determine how many future titles will be released. For example if the Sony marketing or whatever deal ends on 2023, they will release COD 2024 (the so-called "future"), then no more future titles.

Wouldn't be lying.

dcmk7

Banned
So Phil was telling the truth all along and this was all about bigger competitors like Google, Amazon and Facebook. Seems funny that Stadia got downgraded not long after this acquisition.
Hopefully this means that money hatting third party games is over and the likes of Street Fighter V, FF7R and KOTOR Remake can come to all consoles.
What's with the constant crying about all things PlayStation? They seem to live rent free in your head.

Last edited:
For being right?
Who told that you are right? You got a statement that does not specifically state that they will release all future Call of Duty games on Playstation. They literally said that they will follow the contracts and after contracts expire they will keep [them] available.

Though I guess you believed in generations too:messenger_tears_of_joy: If Bethesda deal did not teach people anything, they I have nothing to say. This year is gonna be long.

Last edited:
Change nothing?

MS will get to report all of Activision B's profits under its gaming portfolio.

They also get to put all the publisher's games on GamePass as well as use their non-COD development teams to make first-party Xbox games as well as support their Metaverse ambitions (which they state is actually the primary reason for the purchase).
Fair, maybe I'm thinking too small.

Goalus

Can they afford not to? Xbox team doesn't have the funds for all these purchases. I'd imagine the resources were taken from Microsoft Corporate. They need to make the money back and COD is a big selling franchise (Somehow).
They don't need to make any money "back" because they don't lose any money if the deal is approved. They only lose cash, but in exchange they receive an asset that is worth the amount of cash they spent. On their balance sheet this amounts to +-0.

Who told that you are right? You got a statement that does not specifically state that they will release all future Call of Duty games on Playstation. They literally said that they will follow the contracts and after contracts expire they will keep [them] available.

Though I guess you believed in generations too:messenger_tears_of_joy: If Bethesda deal did not teach people anything, they I have nothing to say. This year is gonna be long.

They talked about keeping and supporting existing games with the Bethesda/Zenimaxi acquisition too. Mind pointing out where they talked about future releases there like they've done here?

You're living in fantasy land. It's clear as day what they're saying here.

Last edited:

Warablo

Interesting, are all these companies just trying to be the king of Gaas games now? I doubt Sony will release those 10 upcoming Gaas games on Xbox.

Last edited:

DJ12

Got to laugh at those saying Phil was playing 4d chess with Jimbo, only for Jimbo to force this embarrassing situation upon all the xbox fans that cannot see the woods from the trees. (Obviously, some knew this was happening, not all are idiots)

Guess Jimbos 8D chess game with Bungie staying multiplatform instantly pissed on Phil's parade of not having the "intent" to remove games from PlayStation.

Mark my words, won't be long before Halo is on PlayStation and Uncharted is on xbox. The lines they are a blurrin'.

Probably see a divergence soon, xbox becoming more PC like (keyboard, mouse, ability to run office) and considerably more expensive (but still cheaper than an alternative speced PC) and PlayStation staying as the $450 mass market machine.

LCQCaSY.png

Hey look I found a video from the future after the acquisition passes and all future Actiblizz games are released exclusively on Gamepass supporting platforms only.
giphy.gif

I love it when laywers dictate what words people use, especially when people read it the way they intended.

"we will also make them available on Playstation beyond the existing agreement"

So the games that they have released under contract will be released, but they'll also continue to support those titles after the contract is done. I don't see where it says they will make new games available on the Playstation after the initial contractually obligated releases.

Here's another fun take:

What exactly does "make them available" mean here? I mean, Xcloud is available to work on Playstation as is Gamepass aren't they? Microsoft reps have publicly stated they'd love to see Gamepass on the Playstation. Sony doesn't have either on the platform but It's certainly available for Sony to put on the console though which means the Activision and Blizzard games are also available for Sony to put on the platform.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
WE are rapidly moving towards content is published everywhere. Its who you pay thats changing.

yazenov

Surprise surprise. Cutting off the platform where the majority of your audience are was such a dumb move that so many Xbox fanboys were cheering for.

MS wants money and return of investment, like all other businesses want. As long as Playstation dominated sales wise, the games will keep on coming.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Funny how things turn out…
”Sony would never keep titles multiplatform if they bought a big studio”
”MS didn’t pay $68 billions to keep the games multiplatform”
Frankly, it makes no sense whatsoever. WTF is the point of making these massive purchases when your console was always getting these games anyway? There are far easier ways to make more money and you dont have to spend billions. Even the most expensive games like TLOU2 cost $100 million to make and market. For $3.6 billion, they couldve made 36 of those games.

It's a stupid escalation. They are both scared of losing content so they both ended up spending billions only to go multiplatform. It started with Zenimax. An absolutely needless purchase and hopefully it ends with Bungie, another unnecessary purchase. But it's possible that Phil knows something behind that scenes that we dont. Either hes gearing up to purchase another big publisher or he knows Sony is about to acquire one of their own.

You cant blame forum posters for getting things wrong when execs and big companies are pulling nonsensical moves. It's hard to make sense of these things. This benefits no one.

LCQCaSY.png

Hey look I found a video from the future after the acquisition passes and all future Actiblizz games are released exclusively on Gamepass supporting platforms only.
giphy.gif

I love it when laywers dictate what words people use, especially when people read it the way they intended.

"we will also make them available on Playstation beyond the existing agreement"

So the games that they have released under contract will be released, but they'll also continue to support those titles after the contract is done. I don't see where it says they will make new games available on the Playstation after the initial contractually obligated releases.

Here's another fun take:

What exactly does "make them available" mean here? I mean, Xcloud is available to work on Playstation as is Gamepass aren't they? Microsoft reps have publicly stated they'd love to see Gamepass on the Playstation. Sony doesn't have either on the platform but It's certainly available for Sony to put on the console though which means the Activision and Blizzard games are also available for Sony to put on the platform.

Look at what they're addressing

The obvious concern is that Microsoft could make this title available exclusively on the Xbox console, undermining opportunities for Sony PlayStation users.

They are very clearly telling regulators this won't be a concern

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
They talked about keeping and supporting existing games with the Bethesda/Zenimaxi acquisition too. Mind pointing out where they talked about future releases there like they've done here?

You're living in fantasy land. It's clear as day what they're saying here.

You've got Phil Spencer saying Call of Duty will be staying on PlayStation. You've got Microsoft President Brad Smith saying Call of Duty will be staying on PlayStation. You've got both of those guys publicly stating that they told Sony that Call of Duty will be staying on PlayStation.

Nah....I'm going to believe some folks on Twitter and GAF who are desperately wanting to see Call of Duty removed from PlayStation.

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Frankly, it makes no sense whatsoever. WTF is the point of making these massive purchases when your console was always getting these games anyway? There are far easier ways to make more money and you dont have to spend billions. Even the most expensive games like TLOU2 cost $100 million to make and market. For $3.6 billion, they couldve made 36 of those games.

It's a stupid escalation. They are both scared of losing content so they both ended up spending billions only to go multiplatform. It started with Zenimax. An absolutely needless purchase and hopefully it ends with Bungie, another unnecessary purchase. But it's possible that Phil knows something behind that scenes that we dont. Either hes gearing up to purchase another big publisher or he knows Sony is about to acquire one of their own.

You cant blame forum posters for getting things wrong when execs and big companies are pulling nonsensical moves. It's hard to make sense of these things. This benefits no one.

Because it helps help gamepass.

The Irishman is a netflix movie which also had a cinema + blu ray/dvdrelease, but it still helped Netflix because most people dont want to spend £12 on a movie ticket when they can watch the movie at home on there Netflix sub.

Last edited:
I definitely support this, one step towards my dream of not being forced to buy hardware I don’t want, and the end of ‘exclusives’ tied to consoles.

But Sony will have to play ball for it to continue. They must feel they can convince Sony to be more open with their content, and end the ‘console launch exclusive’ bs. Or perhaps have been told that they will be. To be fair, recent noises coming out of Sony have suggested as much.

We might not be far from seeing things like Spider-Man on Xbox? Both crazy and the sanest thing ever, at the same time.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

You've got Phil Spencer saying Call of Duty will be staying on PlayStation. You've got Microsoft President saying Call of Duty will be staying on PlayStation. You've got both of those guys publicly stating that they told Sony that Call of Duty will be staying on PlayStation.

Nah....I'm going to believe some folks on Twitter and GAF who are desperately wanting to see Call of Duty removed from PlayStation.

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

Its not even that strange, considering how they handled Minecraft.

M16

Surprise surprise. Cutting off the platform where the majority of your audience are was such a dumb move that so many Xbox fanboys were cheering for.

MS wants money and return of investment, like all other businesses want. As long as Playstation dominated sales wise, the games will keep on coming.
wrong, has nothing to do with any of that, and thats just some fanboy drivel.

there is legislation going on to open up app stores to third party payment processors. this is gonna come to consoles later in the future, you can bank on it.
goodbye sweet 3rd party %30 cut.
so now the name of the game is, get your own content or else you're fucked.

PhaseJump

Banned
Playstation is an install base willing to pay full price for games. Xbox is willing to give games to their subscribers and also sell it to them at a discount.

Greed is good and makes more sense than console wars that vicariously consume the identity of childish stupid assholes.

Anybody drawing lines in the dirt to play a round of "Us vs Them" between the major console brands is retarded. Retarded and also worthy of admiration, for they will be the butt of many jokes and provide salty entertainment, once Microsoft buys another studio or publisher and instigates a zeitgeist of doomsday paranoia.

It's Wednesday, people.

5IIYZEu.gif

Banjo64

cumsessed
You do know these people are hoping and rooting MS takes games away from everyone, right? I don't even know why we bother.
I won’t be satisfied until they don’t even let me play these games on my Xbox.

I will only be happy when they play the master copy (and only copy) of TES 6 and CoD 17 on a 65 inch OLED TV in a vault made from 15 inch thick impenetrable reinforced steel. People can queue up and pay £70 to touch the outside of the safe.

No one should play this CoD goodness.

Max_Po

Banned
I think the real Clowns are the people who think that the price of GamePass will not increase.

Also, fanboy fantasy will be to dry out the competition by not giving games... tell a CEO that we are dropping Billions of $$$ of revenue and you will be the first one fired...

Last edited:

DJ12

I think you can. It's absolutely obvious what was happening.

Choosing to ignore it or coming up with some mental gymnastics for to cinvince themselves Microsoft is actually full of idiots does not absolve anyone of fault.

MS brought Activision for CoD and Candy Crush, everything else is garbage and makes little money. WoW has been in decline for years.

Got to be a clever MF if you honestly thought they'd throw CoD's biggest audience out the window first chance they get.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They've already told regulators their plan. There's no waiting anymore. This is it. Unless you're deluded enough to think they're going to 180 their commitments to regulators
God, these fanboys like Kobrille are absolutely pathetic clowns going around acting like they own Xbox. Choke on a potato will ya.

Just a little FYI, the "RELEASE" part in the topic title is from Nibel's tweet.

Nowhere in the actual PR does it say "RELEASE" games, just "Continue to make available".

I think a simple change of word that Nibel editorialized changed the entire context of the article and unfortunately it looks like most of the thread has ran with it.

boomcrab

GAF is the only place where a completely clear, direct statement is considered to be ambiguous. Like they are literally telling you in the most straight forward way and you still got mfs saying it's not specific enough. Y'all gotta get over it, this is good for everybody

squarealex

I like how biassed all the industry is towards Japanese companies and against Ms in particular.

When Xbox almost disappeared last gen thanks to Mattrick almost single handledly killed the brand and Sony reign the entire gen nobody bats an eye.

MS become competetivie and suddenly everyone and their mothers seem to care about competence and monopolies and what not.

Yet we didn't saw so much fuzz when Sony money hatted all big third party titles for some times exclusive shit (just a refresher, Starfield would come out only on PlaySation at launch) and only on PS DLCs and such.

Sony dominated so hard that they took away with making games $70 (€80) at launch a thing.

But you know, the problem is MS and now everyone needs to lose their minds because having a $15/month subscription with a plethora of games AAA, AA and indies alike is obviously bad for the consumer and paying $70 for each game upfront is healthy.
Go read Forbes and stop crying

They've already told regulators their plan. There's no waiting anymore. This is it. Unless you're deluded enough to think they're going to 180 their commitments to regulators
Except they did not make any commitment in the post. Like literally read the post really as the paragraph can literally means a lot of things there. I suggest to go through various lawyer documents - the word mastery their is crazy. The way they can twist the words is just mindblowing (especially recent one regarding ATVI lawsuits)

To be clear, Microsoft will continue to make Call of Duty and other popular Activision Blizzard titles available on PlayStation through the term of any existing agreement with Activision. And we have committed to Sony that we will also make them available on PlayStation beyond the existing agreement and into the future so that Sony fans can continue to enjoy the games they love.
Literally the whole paragraph is about the games we release during contractual obligations won't be pulled off the platform later and we will continue to support those games.

Just like I said before, we went through that last year but I guess the lesson has not been learnt lol. Anyway, believe in whatever you want but history tells us otherwise.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

I think the real Clowns are the people who think that the price of GamePass will not increase.

Also, fanboy fantasy will be to dry out the competition by not giving games... tell a CEO that we are dropping Billions of $$$ of revenue and you will be the first one fired...

Whatever happens to the price of gamepass will ve ultimately dictated by the market.

If they price it to high, people will simple not sub.

For me personally I dont think it should go any higher then 50% more then UK hourly minimum wage.

Top Bottom