• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft comments on the PlayStation Showcase

The best gameplay shown - SM2 - is not going to xbox.

For what most on Gaf say was a mid PS show at best, for MS to #metoo on the titles shown is kind of weird.

“Hey, PS had a mediocre show but don’t worry - the b-list games from that mediocre show are still coming to xbox!”

Weird. I guess xbox just continues to be xbox even in the face of a sony misstep.

Imagine calling Alan Wake 2, Assassins Creed Mirage, Bungies new IP, Dragons Dogma 2 and Metal Gear 3 remake (plus almost all the indie highlights of the show) "B-list" to cope with Microsoft getting them too.

The showcase was shit because after 2 years without a showcase, Sonys 1st party presence was shit and they gave us a shit new device nobody wanted.

Barlow

The best gameplay shown - SM2 -

whet-what.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Taye Diggs Wow GIF by Bounce

DD2 not for Xbox?

Of course it is.

Imagine calling Alan Wake 2, Assassins Creed Mirage, Bungies new IP, Dragons Dogma 2 and Metal Gear 3 remake (plus almost all the indie highlights of the show) "B-list" to cope with Microsoft getting them too.

The showcase was shit because after 2 years without a showcase, Sonys 1st party presence was shit and they gave us a shit new device nobody wanted.

Being their first showcase in 2 years, people were expecting more of their AAA first party studios. It's not an unreasonable thing.

If MS doesn't have anything more than Forza and Starfield at their show, it's gonna be just as disappointing.

Last edited:

Bond007

Good response.
However, these guys cant back up anything. A few of these are probably timed exclusives too.

Ozriel

M$FT

For what most on Gaf say was a mid PS show at best, for MS to #metoo on the titles shown is kind of weird.

“Hey, PS had a mediocre show but don’t worry - the b-list games from that mediocre show are still coming to xbox!”

Weird. I guess xbox just continues to be xbox even in the face of a sony misstep.

Love how MGS used to be something you used to talk up in the past, but now it’s ‘b-list’ because it’s coming to Xbox.

And Marathon, MGS, Dragon’s Dogma et al can’t be considered b-list in any way. Why are you so upset because a Twitter handle set up to market and promote Xbox is doing the sensible thing?

Just save up the $499 so you don’t need to make these kind of weird posts.

Gorgon

You don't do platform Showcases for the masses of more casual players that buy a PS or Xbox because they've always done so and who buy a few games a year mostly to play FIFA or whatever. And those are a huge percentage of console owners. You do showcases to excite and hype the core consumer, otherwise don't bother and save the money like Nintendo.

And that's why this show was a complete dissapointment. Yes, they showed a few 2nd party exclusives and some good third party titles, but you don't do a show like this to show 3rd party titles that the competition will show a month later too in their own events, specially after two years of no PS shows.

Gojiira

They sound desperate at this point.

Also, don't bitch about them paying for exclusivity, if you're gonna do crap like this.
Very much this, Xbox so desperate for content they have to Leech off a Sony showcase…
Sony also keeping their word about keeping multiplat games multiplat, Xbox could really learn a thing or two here after cancelling PS5 versions of Starfield etc…

Gojiira

Love how MGS used to be something you used to talk up in the past, but now it’s ‘b-list’ because it’s coming to Xbox.

And Marathon, MGS, Dragon’s Dogma et al can’t be considered b-list in any way. Why are you so upset because a Twitter handle set up to market and promote Xbox is doing the sensible thing?

MGS Delta is B tier…Its being made by a shitty Chinese dev, screenshots show zero ambition, still small zones, all 1-1 recreations. Not impressive at all. Now a open jungle, with more instances to use the ‘updated gameplay mechanics’ yeah that would be hype but it really isnt looking like thats what we’re getting…

Ozzie666

That response felt a bit like, they showed a lot of what had planned to show too! Both companies do it, some games with a time exclusive some not.

For the first time in years, I am actually expecting the Microsoft show to not disappoint and actually have some punch to it.

My only concern is if you believe they are tanking for the ABK deal, they may not put their best foot forward.

Really feels like they might strike back hard. Good time for gamers. Hopefully these shared titles don't take up too much of the show.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yeah, Xbox marketing had and still has insecurity issues

Insecurity?

Sony’s exclusive marketing deal with Activision/Bungie meant MS couldn’t really talk about the game coming to Xbox at all.

It was a cheeky attempt to try to get the public aware that there was going to be an Xbox release of Destiny. It got shot down eventually.

MGS Delta is B tier…Its being made by a shitty Chinese dev, screenshots show zero ambition, still small zones, all 1-1 recreations. Not impressive at all. Now a open jungle, with more instances to use the ‘updated gameplay mechanics’ yeah that would be hype but it really isnt looking like thats what we’re getting…

Not every remake has to be a massive re-imagining. Demons souls remake is 1:1 and nobody called it ‘b-tier’.

A faithful remake of an excellent game with significantly upgraded next gen visuals is an excellent proposition.

Jaybe

Insecurity?

Sony’s exclusive marketing deal with Activision/Bungie meant MS couldn’t really talk about the game coming to Xbox at all.

It was a cheeky attempt to try to get the public aware that there was going to be an Xbox release of Destiny. It got shot down eventually.
In the Destiny case, yes, that’s insecure. Classless and desperate also apply. Xbox got outbid on marketing rights. Take the L, market what you have the rights for, and buy them next time a game becomes available you wish to market. I’ve never seen Sony stoop to this in a similar case. Looks like Xbox must’ve got smacked on the nose with some rolled-up legal papers behind the scenes since they didn’t advertise a Hogwarts perfume this time.

Ozriel

M$FT
In the Destiny case, yes, that’s insecure. Classless and desperate also apply. Xbox got outbid on marketing rights. Take the L, market what you have the rights for, and buy them next time a game becomes available you wish to market. I’ve never seen Sony stoop to this in a similar case. Looks like Xbox must’ve got smacked on the nose with some rolled-up legal papers behind the scenes since they didn’t advertise a Hogwarts perfume this time.

“Take the L and give up on a lot of money” is not really how businesses maximize revenue.

I’ve never seen Sony stoop to this in a similar case.

The same Sony that claimed they’d be nearly out of business if COD wasn’t on PlayStation?

You do what you must to boost your chances.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Last night was the biggest open goal an opponent has ever gifted its rival. Please don't do a Ronny Rosenthal, Xbox

I can see a Scott Sterling situation here. Sony is Scott, MS are the kickers. No matter what they do, they hit the shitty Goalie Sterling (Sony) in the face. Not quite getting the goal, but certainly showing how shit Sony's press event was.

I can see a Scott Sterling situation here. Sony is Scott, MS are the kickers. No matter what they do, they hit the shitty Goalie Sterling (Sony) in the face. Not quite getting the goal, but certainly showing how shit Sony's press event was.
We'll see. I think for once Xbox will hit the target.

It's dumb marketing, why so serious? Insecure? Classless and desperate? Sheesh.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
We'll see. I think for once Xbox will hit the target.

I hope so. I am a bit worried with Nintendo as, while i think they have generally been the best for Directs since the Switch launch, it is clear they are winding down for the next generation so I don't think they will have much to show. Playstation was a complete disappointment, again, for the 3rd year in a row, and all I have left to be excited for is Xbox. If they can actually show games, good games, that get proper releases and don't feel like rushed gamepass fodder filled with MTX or feeling like they were disposable? I would be very, very happy.

Drizzlehell

Banned
They better come out guns blazing with their showcase. Lotta big dick energy in this post lol
They probably don't care. Phil Spencer could come out on that stage and take a soft dump on it and it would be yesterday's news within a month because that's how a gamer's brain operates. We never remember past transgressions and we are quick to forgive when they dangle some new bullshit in front of us.

ToadMan

Actually I love MGS - but t that CGI trailer followed by an announce of the collection including MGS3… ok.

Well I think MGS D is so far away I’ll forget about it, and I don’t have confidence in Konami to do something to justify it.

So yeah - that announcement is b tier.

As for the rest - I’ve read everyone shitting on it…

Happy you enjoyed the showcase though.

Last edited:

Jaybe

It's dumb marketing, why so serious? Insecure? Classless and desperate? Sheesh.
The Destiny one was a blatant attempt to circumvent a contract. If you’re a professional that deals in contracts, you’d know something like this isn’t a good look. Probably why they haven’t bother with that tactic again.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Actually I love MGS - but t that CGI trailer followed by an announce of the collection including MGS3… ok.

Well I think MGS D is so far away I’ll forget about it, and I don’t have confidence in Konami to do something to justify it.

So yeah - that announcement is b tier.

As for the rest - I’ve read everyone shitting on it…

Happy you enjoyed the showcase though.

Pointing out that the third party games aren’t b-list doesn’t automatically translate to saying it was an excellent PlayStation showcase.

-Zelda-

Banned
Does this count as console warring? Either way, I am just happy there are some games coming out that I am going to enjoy.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Or how ones relishing in that "the showcase sucks," but "hey all those games that made the showcase supposedly suck, are coming to Xbox! Yay, I think!"

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Or how ones relishing in that "the showcase sucks," but "hey all those games that made the showcase supposedly suck, are coming to Xbox! Yay, I think!"

The general consensus is that the showcase underwhelmed because of the dearth of games from PlayStation Studios, not because they showed off Dragons Dogma, the Immortals of Aveum game or MGS.

is anyone really saying it sucked because it had some third party games in it?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The general consensus is that the showcase underwhelmed because of the dearth of games from PlayStation Studios, not because they showed off Dragons Dogma, the Immortals of Aveum game or MGS.

is anyone really saying it sucked because it had some third party games in it?
You sure love to word things a certain kind of way.

I am speaking on those relishing, don't act like both camps don't have their hypocunts, since it goes in both directions of relishing and hypocritical game loving/hating. Especially when the current relish would have loved a show like this.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Insecurity?

Not every remake has to be a massive re-imagining. Demons souls remake is 1:1 and nobody called it ‘b-tier’.

A faithful remake of an excellent game with significantly upgraded next gen visuals is an excellent proposition.
Difference is Demons Souls wouldnt have benefitted from new map design unless they were objectively better, all it needed was what it got - Graphics and Performance. MGSD has precedence already that modernised gameplay in maps that werent designed for it does not work or lead to a better experience, example? Look at the garbage The Twin Snakes remake of MGS1. 1:1 environments, MGS2 gameplay additions that trivialised many areas and outright broke many encounters.
So yeah B tier unless gameplay reveal shows some more ambition in later areas.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
People out here upset that xbox let their users know that these games are coming to their platform too.

There's too much insecurity from a certain section of the Sony camp and I don't understand it.

Yeah, it's always been weird after conference where you have to wait an X amount of time before official PR starts becoming public.

At least they let us know immediately which of the "Coming to PS5" games in the show were multi-console releases.

Ozriel

M$FT
Xbox really don't get it. Still trying to be arrogant after taking the worst beating being firmly in third place.

And the perfect response to being ‘beaten into third place’ would be to spurn a golden opportunity to market your own console or games coming to your console?

You need to put some more thought into these things.

skit_data

Don’t see any ”comments” outside of the expected. Gotta say though, imagining some exec going
”Quick, put together a neat pic with all the games shown that we can tweet, pronto”
to some poor graphics designer is pretty funny to me for some reaso

Last edited:
I hope so. I am a bit worried with Nintendo as, while i think they have generally been the best for Directs since the Switch launch, it is clear they are winding down for the next generation so I don't think they will have much to show. Playstation was a complete disappointment, again, for the 3rd year in a row, and all I have left to be excited for is Xbox. If they can actually show games, good games, that get proper releases and don't feel like rushed gamepass fodder filled with MTX or feeling like they were disposable? I would be very, very happy.
I would like to hope/think the likes of Forza, Avowed and Hellblade 2 are almost ready to go

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Couldn’t be more thrilled and proud for what’s coming from PlayStation Studios. Ahh Spider-Man 2 🤯.
He even listed all the games
Nah seriously this sounds like he only just noticed that's all they showed 😂

Top Bottom