• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NA : Virtual Console line-up for April (GBA games + SMB3 finally coming)

I don't get why people are bagging on Nintendo VC prices. Since Nintendo apparently has one of the best lineups in gaming, you'd think paying only a dollar or two more than PSone classics on PSN would be a pittance.

$7-$8 isn't too bad, especially the titles they're launching with. Metroid Fusion, Advance Wars, Golden Sun and the like are worth those prices. (To me at least)

I hope more companies get involved. Klonoa, Castlevania, Sonic, etc are all games I want to see asap. The variable pricing is a good thing too. Hopefully some enterprising company releases some of their titles in bundles with discount for buying multiple games. (Like Capcom and Nintendo have done on the service.)

Sadly, I doubt we'll see some of my favorites. Astroboy Omega Factor due to licensing and the GBA Splinter Cell due to Ubisoft's lack of fucks to give.

dearodie

I wish Nintendo implemented an all you can play model.
Subscribe $5/month, play all the VC games you want, for as long as you subscribe; similar to PSN+ and the free games.
I'd subscribe to this over $8/game

Metallix87

I wish Nintendo implemented an all you can play model.
Subscribe $5/month, play all the VC games you want, for as long as you subscribe; similar to PSN+ and the free games.
No thanks. Glorified rental services are honestly something I wish would go away.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I have absolutely no problem paying $8 for classic games like Advance Wars. It's when they ask you to pay the same price for Urban Champion type games...that's when it's dumb.

Rootbeer

Banned
$8 and not even on 3DS (except SMB3)? I'll keep my money then.

Is there really a big audience for GBA games on the Wii U? People want them on their portable device. I certainly do.

Metallix87

I have absolutely no problem paying $8 for classic games like Advance Wars. It's when they ask you to pay the same price for Urban Champion type games...that's when it's dumb.
Indeed. The problem is mostly limited to NES and GB games, where such barebones experiences were relatively common.

$7-$8 isn't too bad, especially the titles they're launching with. Metroid Fusion, Advance Wars, Golden Sun and the like are worth those prices. (To me at least)

I agree. Some of them are games I've been wanting, and I probably couldn't find a cartridge for that price.

Of course, if the VC games were cheaper, I'd probably buy more.

The nonsense is simple: You can say you don't agree with the pricing, or that it's not in your budget, but to call Nintendo greedy, or to have expected different pricing, is nonsensical, and condemning the pricing model is illogical.

As for the Blu-Ray issue, you've now dodged the issue. Here, I'll give you a proper example. Citizen Kane is one of the best movies ever made, and the Blu-Ray is $20. Crimes and Misdemeanors is a solid film, and the BD is $35 with no special features. These are both old films. Do you think they are priced correctly? Should they be priced less than a newer movie like, say, Transformers or Man of Steel?
Of course they aren't priced correctly. I can get Jaws right now on Blu-Ray for $15. The last new Blu-Ray I bought was Thor 2 and it was $25. Jaws is a way better movie then Thor 2. You don't pay for the quality of movie when you pay for a Bluray as much as you pay for newness.

Wolf of Wall St and Delivery Man both came out on Bluray yesterday. Wolf of Wall St is one of the most well received movies of last year and Delivery Man is another Vince Vaughn movie you probably will forget existed by the end of the year. Yet the price difference on Amazon right now is a dollar.

You also failed to mention that the Crimes & Misdemeanors Bluray is limited to 3000 copies. Which again brings in the collectors factor not present in digital download.

Platy

$8 for Metroid fusion ? seriously fuck that when already there's plenty of good versions of that game online for free on a emulator >.>

give me pokemon instead nintendo.

You know you can use this logic for pretty much everything, right ?

Pociask

SNES vs. GBA says you're wrong

Mentioning two other old ass systems does not change the fact that the DS is not an old ass system. Don't get me wrong, I'd be hyped for $10 DS releases, but do you think Nintendo would sell Advance Wars DS for less than NES Remix? Or NSMB DS or Mario Kart DS for $10, when they didn't get price drops (iirc) the entire DS generation?

I expect Nintendo to sell DS games for 15-20. Again, happy to be wrong here, but saying DS games will come out at the N64 price point because they have similar DBZ power levels is not a convincing argument.

rjc571

Banned
Mentioning two other old ass systems does not change the fact that the DS is not an old ass system. Don't get me wrong, I'd be hyped for $10 DS releases, but do you think Nintendo would sell Advance Wars DS for less than NES Remix? Or NSMB DS or Mario Kart DS for $10, when they didn't get price drops (iirc) the entire DS generation?

I expect Nintendo to sell DS games for 15-20. Again, happy to be wrong here, but saying DS games will come out at the N64 price point because they have similar DBZ power levels is not a convincing argument.

The DS is exactly as old ass of a system as the N64 was when the Wii came out.

How's the Amazing Mirror? I have all those other carts besides that and Advanced Wars (lost :( ).
Have you ever wanted to try a Kirby *sigh* Metroidvania *sigh* (I don't like the term and the analogy really fails here as that would imply it is like the mode in Super Star where you can change powers at will and have to find them). It is a competent but not a very memorable Kirby game outside of its somewhat open, interconnected world structure.

Wow, that's a fantastic lineup of games! I'll definitely be grabbing a few of them for Wii U. It's nice to see Nintendo beginning the GBA VC with a handful of quality games. I hope it will continue.

Metallix87

I think it will be priced on a game-by-game basis when it comes to DS. DS is a decade old now, but games are still sold new in many retail locations. I think $10 - $12 sounds right, but we'll see.

dearodie

No thanks. Glorified rental services are honestly something I wish would go away.

It's not for everyone for sure. But with current approach you're getting a virtual download which will only last as long as your WiiU is used or you're willing to upgrade to next platform, assuming BC is there and pay transfer fee.

I already own all these games except Kirby and I already have a gameboy player for GC which I bought used from gamestop for $4 (you can get one for $3 now.
The VC pricing as it is does not offer me any incentive, I can live without save states.
Cheaper or subscription, I would jump in.

b3b0p

Why can't we play these on our 3DS and Wii (U) for the same price? Wouldn't Sony let us play on PS4 or PS3 or Vita with a single purchase?

This is why you are failing Nintendo. Live in the now.

After looking through eBay, most of these carts are at least $15-$20 (with added shipping).

Unless you visit a flea market or something, where are you going to find cart versions of these games for anywhere near this price?

Metallix87

Of course they aren't priced correctly. I can get Jaws right now on Blu-Ray for $15. The last new Blu-Ray I bought was Thor 2 and it was $25. Jaws is a way better movie then Thor 2. You don't pay for the quality of movie when you pay for a Bluray as much as you pay for newness.

Wolf of Wall St and Delivery Man both came out on Bluray yesterday. Wolf of Wall St is one of the most well received movies of last year and Delivery Man is another Vince Vaughn movie you probably will forget existed by the end of the year. Yet the price difference on Amazon right now is a dollar.

You also failed to mention that the Crimes & Misdemeanors Bluray is limited to 3000 copies. Which again brings in the collectors factor not present in digital download.
Brand new game releases are also $50 - $60, so I still don't understand what the issue is. These games are cheap. Given your response, though, I suspect you're a "old content is old, and therefore is of less value", which is sad.

By the way, Thor 2 is $25, but so are Scream Factory's BDs, if not even more, and those are films from the 70s and 80s, and those are not limited to 3000.

Megatron

Prices are exactly what I expected, I predicted $7.99 yesterday in the thread announcing these were coming. It amuses me that people thought they'd be $5 or less. This is Nintendo. They charge $5.99 for gbc games.

Brand new game releases are also $50 - $60, so I still don't understand what the issue is. These games are cheap. Given your response, though, I suspect you're a "old content is old, and therefore is of less value", which is sad.

By the way, Thor 2 is $25, but so are Scream Factory's BDs, if not even more, and those are films from the 70s and 80s, and those are not limited to 3000.
Generally you get charged less for things that are old unless they have updated features, especially in the realm of electronics. Those Bluray have updated visuals and most of them are collectors editions, which again, brings collectors influence into a discussion where it doesn't apply.

Kriken

Well I'll finally get the chance to play Golden Sun, Advanced Wars and Metroid Fusion, heck I'll probably repurchase M&L Superstar Saga since I can't find the cartridge atm. Really wish I got more out of the Best Buy promotion.

And I somewhat agree with the idea of the GBA games being closer to $5.99 or $6.99, but that's just pulling hairs.

Metallix87

Generally you get charged less for things that are old unless they have updated features, especially in the realm of electronics. Those Bluray have updated visuals and most of them are collectors editions, which again, brings collectors influence into a discussion where it doesn't apply.
Are those Collector's Editions priced comparatively to new releases? Yes. That's not the case with VC titles. Heck, if you count save states as a feature, they're updated, too. Point is, being old doesn't instantly mean lower price, in any form of entertainment media, and games should not be the exception. If the game is good, why should $8 be considered outrageous?

sörine

Banned
$6.99 is a lower floor price than I expected. Never figured Nintendo would go cheaper for GBA than SNES given GBC and NES are evenly priced.

Good lineup and schedule too. GBA is starting way stronger than I expected and better off than any other platform did on the 3DS or Wii U Virtual Consoles. I'm a little surprised at all the complaining but maybe I shouldn't be by now.

Davey Cakes

Disappointing compared to other Metroid games, but still a solid 8/10 game. Think Other M in 2D.
Other M in 2D?

Based on what I've heard about Other M, that's not really the case. Fusion has too much narrative and directs you around too much but it still feels like a proper sequel to Super Metroid and still has plenty of secrets and non-linearity. There isn't much "locking you out of areas" except in a few cases.

Plus the narrative in general isn't bad and doesn't paint Samus in a bad light.

I much prefer Zero Mission myself but Fusion is probably better than Metroid, Metroid II, and Hunters. It's mid-tier but that's just my opinion. Definitely worth playing for a franchise fan and $8 is absolutely fair.

Honestly, I have the GBA cart with a 100% file and yet I'll probably buy the Wii U VC version just to support it.

ryushe

I'm just saying, if I'm already spending that much, we're no longer in pocket change territory. I might as well pony up for the real deal.
No longer in pocket change territory?

If some of you consider $8 breaking the bank, you seriously need to consider a new, preferably free, hobby.

khaaan

I'm considering buying every single one of those, they're all fantastic games. On the flip side, I don't want to buy them and end up not touching them for a while only to find out that one of the games become a club Nintendo reward like some of those $0.75 SNES games.

Edit: Awww yiss. Golden Sun. I'll definitely give that a shot since my first game was Dark Dawn and it sucked but people told me that the first two are much better.

sörine;105856931 said:
Sort of. The eShops can be unified under one NNID for tracking purchases and combining wishlists and wallets.

If I buy a VC title on the Wii U, will I have access to that game when the VC emulators for the 3DS are finished?

Top Bottom