• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickolaidas

Anyone mind humoring me for a minute?

If the PS5 indeed has liquid metal cooling, what does this mean for the longevity of the console? Because I've read and saw videos which say that liquid metal 'paste' is not very durable and needs to be changed every 1-2 years.

Thoughts?

And please, my fellow PS5 lovers, do not mistake this as intentional FUD. I am merely concerned with the patent that has been circulating lately about the PS5 having liquid metal cooling. It's natural to assume that Cerny has figured out a way to make the liquid metal cooling solution more durable and able to last a LOT more than 1-2 years. So the question is ... what do you think this solution is?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Since the Tweet isnt loading...

dAeDuaD.png

Last edited:
I am at death's door already, as long as it lasts 7 years i am happy.

Not a spring chicken anymore, more like an old cock. Hold on, that's not a good comparison
That sounds... incredibly durable.

With those figures, it means that every single byte of a 1TB SSD could be written over 35,000 times before beginning to suffer from any tear.

I'm not saying it's wrong, I don't know a lot on this subject, but this sounds like pretty much no wear at all under 99.99% of circumstances.
Looks like I was wrong, it was 4.1TB a year. With 4.1TB a year you'll last 600 years. I did some quick math and if you want the SSD to last 7 years you'll need to write about 351TB every year.

Edit: Math may be wrong, but you get the point.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

This is something I was wondering too: is there any other way to have a "quick resume" feature on a console like these without burning through the SSD with constant rewrites? Because as far as my limited knowledge goes, you either:
  1. keep everything in RAM from the past game (maybe possible in the case of backcompat. with 2, max 3 games at a time if they are small enough? Definitely not for next-gen games)
  2. make a full RAM dump somewhere (and since the SSD is the only other place with a lot of space where you can write...)
  3. create a system that allows to produce some sort of "instant universal save file" that captures every relevant information from your current instance, but doesn't need to keep a copy of all visuals, audio and logics currently loaded in RAM and knows how to recover them from the game install (maybe possible for future games, but definitely not for backcompat. and it still needs to be engeneered on a game-by-game basis, so basically impossible to mandate to third party devs)

Has Sony also promised a similar feature?

I'd assume that new games will have the option to enable quick-saves to be triggered by the OS, that way you would be saving just a typical save file and then grabbing the data from the SSD to start the game. It's probably just previous gen content that would trigger ram dumps, those games don't provide the OS with a way to hook into the save system.

roops67

It's the exact same shit, same principal mechanism, same task, Cerny even described it on his presentation as you say, it's just the fanboys who are scared as fuck to admin the PS5 GPU won't be constantly running at 2.2GHz (which is officially listed by Sony as "variable" anyway), because that would make the gap to XBX bigger, but it is what it is, bending/denying reality on the internet doesn't work on the actual reality itself. NV has the same sort of tech, called Max-Q Dynamic Boost, and one of their slides is the best illustration how it works:

GeForce_Spring_2020_15-e1585869357635.jpg

80W GPU + 35W CPU = 115W total, but that power can be switched to 95W GPU + 20W GPU, so the same 115W total, but more powerful GPU if needed. But PS5 (and any laptop with AMD Smartshift) can also go the other way around as well, like 65W GPU + 50W CPU (for the sake of this graph), whenever the task if CPU-bound. So you can squeeze more CPU and GPU power out of the same 115W depending on the task then if the CPU and GPU were running at fixed clocks, the "Balanced Power" on the graph. it is as you say, a laptop technology, which is indeed used in laptops to save battery by providing more performance at the same power draw, and without needing beefier cooling as well, and that's also why PS5 uses it, to control the temps by operating at a fixed power draw, but providing more CPU/GPU performance than if the clocks were fixed.
Not how it works! Under normal workloads PS5 is always running at its maximum frequencies (3.5ghz CPU and 2.23ghz GPU) , only when it starts getting pushed hard that's when the variable frequency intelligence starts kicking in. XSX OTOH will not handle these stressful moments so gracefully

I cant always really keep up with this thread it moves a bit too fast but I've been entertained by the last few pages. In the absence of news to digest I appreciate that amusement. Just try to remember guys were arguing about plastic boxes and also that this is a next-gen thread so it's weird how many people want to boast about how much better they are than the plastic boxes because they're on PC. It's a gaming enthusiast forum most of us game on multiple platforms including PC no one is actually all that impressed.

... ooo dat THICC thigh... I wanna push my disc into it

uQ8l4QZ.jpg

Sorry bro I couldn't resist :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Unf ima wreck that thicc thigh, there's some sub-surface scattered FUD(GE) to unpack too mmmm, thicc caches, scrubbing up good. Whats that Spence dog? API abstractions and decompression not completely offloaded? Packing too much through a straw and not a nice thicc 12 channeled express way from my speckled gooch unf.

kyliethicc

The more time it takes, the more I think these beasts will go over $500.
I think both companies want to price PS5/XSX at $600, but are afraid to announce it first. So they're waiting to see if the other will go first. Its a bad sign its taking this long to announce a price. Hopefully all SKUs are $500 or less.

DaGwaphics

If Sony can somehow get the ps4 diskless version to £399, that is one hell of a coup.

With today's market, the tech inside the machine, the games that are coming.

It would be a remarkable achievement really.

I can dream, can't eye.

I would hope a diskless PS4 sku would be cheaper, that tech is getting a little long in the tooth. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

A $399 PS5 would be a winner no question.

Dibils2k

Mind of an Xbox fanboy/PlayStation hater:

MS and AMD say RDNA2? It is.

Sony and AMD say RDNA2? A lie! A lie I tells youzzz
mind of a PS pony:

THEY ARE ATTACKING, FIGHT THEM!!! I WONT DARE THEY QUESTION ANYTHING ABOUT MY LIFE LONG LOVE!!

calm down kid, i was genuinely asking, i didnt say it didnt have it did i

thx to ones that are adults and answered

EDIT: i just finished the vid, did i miss something, he never questioned RDNA2 on PS5 🤷‍♂️ just seems like people trying to find things to whine about Digital Foundry

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
It wouldn't make sense to have a lower price and struggle to keep up with demand with the Covid situation. The PS5 will be sold out for months.

Richard still thinks PS5 is RDNA1 😂

FUD ALERT ATTACK!!!!!!

tenor.gif

mind of a PS pony:

THEY ARE ATTACKING, FIGHT THEM!!! I WONT DARE THEY QUESTION ANYTHING ABOUT MY LIFE LONG LOVE!!

EDIT: i just finished the vid, did i miss something, he never questioned RDNA2 on PS5 🤷‍♂️ just seems like people trying to find things to whine about Digital Foundry

OMG SURPRISE FUD ATTACK!!!!!

BothUnawareDrafthorse-small.gif

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I'm trying to understand why but I can't figure it out. If anything, it should come with a disc because Smart Delivery is "smart".
Funny thing is smart delivery and game pass are both entirely digital, but no one seems to notice or care. Anyone who thought Xbox would mail them a second disc when they want their next gen update was, um, not that smart.

I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of this new generation, all Xbox and/or PS5 consoles are digital only.

mind of a PS pony:

Man you have many time in this thread, I am sure you already know the answer for your question.

Yfpfbeg.jpg

I will save the capture in my desktop in case you "forget" again in a couple of weeks/months.

Last edited:
the question is if and what it is missing, as "based on" something is not exactly the same like "is something"
but this discussion can never happen in gaf, so its better to just leave it alone until the machine is out.
things like inference acceleration, machine learning, variable shading etc were not mentioned by cerny. instead he talked too much about ssd and sound and the ...visions.
this is an interesting subject that unfortunately always ends up in turf wars before its even started

CraZed

True, but the HP figure alone is a good indicator of the overall performance, hence it's the universally used metric.
No it's the most simplistic metric that car makers and sales people use to entice non-discerning buyers into buying their vehicles. And is NOT the best (or even good) metric for overall performance. Because there isn't a single good indicator of overall performance. Available torque, gear ratios, suspension and handling, weight, brakes, tires etc. and how the related systems are designed around one another dictates the overall performance of the vehicle. We've done this analogy before ad naseum but there it is. If we're going to use car analogies here's an example:

2018 Mustang GT V8 460 HP
2018 Kia Stinger GT V6 365 HP

HP had almost zero impact on the comparison between these two vehicles. HP didn't help the Mustang as it got smoked in the drag race because the Stinger is rear wheel biased AWD and is designed to deliver massive torque off the line and the suspension lowers the rear end slightly on take off.
HANDLING was the difference in the full track times as the Mustang had upgraded tires and suspension that helped it maneuver the track much more efficiently than the Stinger. It was designed for the track. The Stinger not so much.
Basing your car purchase off HP is dumb. Basing your console purchase off Tflops is equally as dumb.

hemo memo

Gold Member
They could tease GoW being at the next PS5 event. That's something that would hype the event up and get alot of people's attention.

Even if it's a logo people will go nuts over it.

But we don’t have a date for a PS5 event. They’ll have to announce the event date before they drop the teaser.

Also sadly that tweet could be nothing.

kyliethicc

If Sony can somehow get the ps5 diskless version to £399, that is one hell of a coup.

With today's market, the tech inside the machine, the games that are coming.

It would be a remarkable achievement really.

I can dream, can't eye.
At $399, it would be the least expensive PlayStation ever in today's dollars, if adjusted for inflation. Thats why it seems unlikely.

PS4 PRO ~ $430 ($400, 2016)
PS4 ~ $445 ($400, 2013)
PS2 ~ $450 ($300, 2000)
PS1 ~ $510 ($300, 1995)
PS3 ~ $640 ($500, 2006)

Dibils2k

Man you have many time in this thread, I am sure you already know the answer for your question.

Yfpfbeg.jpg

I will save the capture in my desktop in case you "forget" again in a couple of weeks/months.
i have never mentioned RDNA2 once in my life on this forum lol what are you on about

you lot are weird man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom