• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Theory: Big, but believable. See how they brought the giant troll to life in Hellblade 2

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Awesome Rock N Roll GIF by DreamWorks Trolls

Andodalf

Banned
Better than Bleeding Edge.

I was watching a video from back during that First E3 the game was announced and they mentioned that when they did the E3 showing the team for the game had grown to 15 people. Wow Xbox was down bad to have a 15 person game get that kidna screen time. Things have changed a lot!

jaysius

Banned
I really hope this game is better than the last, yea yea mental health blah blah, it still needs GOOD GAMEPLAY, other games have shown you can have heavy content and good gameplay.

The first one really coat tailed the mental health thing it's way into good scores and hype.

tusharngf

why are they making experimental games? I hope they bring something AA level type of game. I am impressed by the visuals but first game was really boring for me. Second seems to be in that range as well. Animations doesnt look that good at all.

Game looked amazing in that demo but it seemed to be mostly cutscene. Haven't played the first game so I don't know for sure.
There is mostly gameplay in the new demo, it just looks so good people think it's just a cutscene. Remember this sort of graphical fidelity are what these consoles are capable of (at 30fps unfortunately), we've just seen cross generation games so far that are using older graphics engines. Plus Ninja Theory are at the very top when it comes to motion capture tech.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I didn't like the gameplay in the first game all that much so I'm not exactly on the edge of my seat for the sequel but I am pretty pumped about the soundtrack that's being made by Heilung.

DukeNukem00

Banned
I really hope this game is better than the last, yea yea mental health blah blah, it still needs GOOD GAMEPLAY, other games have shown you can have heavy content and good gameplay.

The first one really coat tailed the mental health thing it's way into good scores and hype.

The first game was made with money their kids got at christmass from their grandparents. It was so cheap there are games from the 90s that were more expensive to develop. They had like 10 people or something like that working. Everything was made in the constraints of no money and no manpower. The sequel is a lavish production where money doesnt seem to have a cap. So of course everything will be better

Last edited:

Yeah, being on gamepass ensures I will play it because I wouldn't be interested otherwise. The first one was really boring imo. Most of the praise was for its depiction of psychosis. It was pretty basic from a gameplay aspect.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

There is mostly gameplay in the new demo, it just looks so good people think it's just a cutscene. Remember this sort of graphical fidelity are what these consoles are capable of (at 30fps unfortunately), we've just seen cross generation games so far that are using older graphics engines. Plus Ninja Theory are at the very top when it comes to motion capture tech.
It seemed more like a cutscene because I did not see much interactivity beyond running and throwing a spear at set intervals but this may have just been used for the demo. Does make me excited for the future.

reksveks

Linda off topic, but how do I put people who limit their profile on ignore?

I just tend to put obvious console warriors and trolls on ignore, but seems I can't when their profile is private?
5gBqQpm.jpg

If you click on the profile pic, you should still see an ignore option.

anthony2690

Banned
I feel like people are hyping this game to heights it will never meet, especially if it is still made by a real small team like hellblade 1.

Not only that, people that might not have played the IP before, are getting set up for disappointed when they realise it is a walking/puzzle game with little combat (hopefully the combat/puzzles are drastically improved too)

I wish Ninja Theory would go back to Enslaved though, gameplay and story was a million times better than hellblade imo.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
The first game was pretty good other than those nonsense puzzle sequences that made my eyes hurt. Hopefully they've moved on from those.

Andodalf

Banned
I feel like people are hyping this game to heights it will never meet, especially if it is still made by a real small team like hellblade 1.

Not only that, people that might not have played the IP before, are getting set up for disappointed when they realise it is a walking/puzzle game with little combat (hopefully the combat/puzzles are drastically improved too)

I wish Ninja Theory would go back to Enslaved though, gameplay and story was a million times better than hellblade imo.
It’s been known forever now that Hellblade two has literally 10x the devs. from 15 to 150 ish

kingfey

Banned

Massive devs with massive budget.

First one was short staff and low budget.

Vognerful

I don't remember anyone talking about this but the last trailer in TGA, the were few seconds in the trailer where the giant was "blending" with the ricks. I am not sure if this is the correct term, maybe more like his body was being covered with rocks when he went to rest.

RPSleon

I don't remember anyone talking about this but the last trailer in TGA, the were few seconds in the trailer where the giant was "blending" with the ricks. I am not sure if this is the correct term, maybe more like his body was being covered with rocks when he went to rest.
Clipping.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
What's the gameplay in this one? You walk slowly for 5 meters, trigger cutscene, 0 interactivity for few minutes, walk few more meters and another cutscene? What are these developers thinking? Gaming is so unique and yet all they want to do is make movies.

In the announcement trailer we saw the "rock monster"..then in the gameplay trailer we realize it was being attacked while it was resting + fusing together with the rocks (most likely to heal).

Deft Beck

What's the gameplay in this one? You walk slowly for 5 meters, trigger cutscene, 0 interactivity for few minutes, walk few more meters and another cutscene? What are these developers thinking? Gaming is so unique and yet all they want to do is make movies.

It's just like the first game. I found the first game to be engrossing at first but it wore out its welcome quickly. I just want to play the damn game.

Ozriel

M$FT

‘Heights it will never meet’

That’s some special kind of hater energy.

Not sure how you’ve followed the ‘hype’ but don’t know that the budget, team size and scope are expanded over the original.

All this from a brief gameplay demo?

Wohc

Banned
I can't blame them. Cinematic + stunning graphics is an easy 85+

Top Bottom