• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser has said the company expects The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom to justify its $70 price tag

SiahWester

I hope for Nintendo's sake that they're holding everything back. It's a glorified expansion pack at best from what we've seen. Same overworld, assets, graphics, etc. I don't see how it can justify $70, let alone a playthrough, without there being hundreds of hours of additional content that hasn't been shown to us. We waited 6 years for this.

Last edited:
I hope for Nintendo's sake that they're holding everything back. It's a glorified expansion pack at best from what we've seen. Same overworld, assets, graphics, etc. I don't see how it can justify $70, let alone a playthrough, without there being hundreds of hours of additional content that hasn't been shown to us. We waited 6 years for this.

Exactly. I loved Botw and this is my most anticipated game of '23 but this is just incredibly disappointing from what we've seen so far. It doesn't surprise me that they're also charging $70 for it. If there's one thing I've learned about gaming today is to be continually disappointed by ever lowering standards and that NO GAME is a guarantee that it won't be a low effort cash grab.

Anything less than the effort that went into Botw IS a disappointment. When it's Nintendo who decided to raise the bar on the price, not us!

daveonezero

Banned
If the map is just a remix how much more area would y’all need in the sky islands to make it worth it?

What if it is almost as much landmass?

Exactly. I loved Botw and this is my most anticipated game of '23 but this is just incredibly disappointing from what we've seen so far. It doesn't surprise me that they're also charging $70 for it. If there's one thing I've learned about gaming today is to be continually disappointed by ever lowering standards and that NO GAME is a guarantee that it won't be a low effort cash grab.

Anything less than the effort that went into Botw IS a disappointment. When it's Nintendo who decided to raise the bar on the price, not us!

I think this is a bit premature. Nobody has actually played the whole game yet. Though I am disappointed with what was shown so far.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I think this is a bit premature. Nobody has actually played the whole game yet. Though I am disappointed with what was shown so far.

Funny thing is that BotW also had very little shown off of its world and people were doing the same exact thing, suggesting it was a dead, empty, boring game.

Then it became one of the most beloved entries in the franchise and a breath of fresh air for open world design. People need to learn to wait for a game's release instead of making accusations without playing it or knowing how the finished product actually is.

Kenpachii

TLOZ_TearsOfTheKingdom_scrn_18-1024x576.jpg

Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser has said the company expects The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom to justify its $70 price tag.

The company announced last month that the upcoming game costs $69.99, marking the first time it has charged more than $59.99 for a standard edition of a digital Switch title.

In a recent interview, Nintendo’s US boss was asked how the platform holder reached its decision to price Tears of the Kingdom at $70:

We look at what the game has to offer,” Bowser told Associated Press.

After the game’s price was announced, a Nintendo spokesperson suggested $70 won’t necessarily be the new norm for first-party Switch software, stating that the company determines the suggested retail price of its products “on a case-by-case basis”.

This isn’t a price point that we’ll necessarily have on all our titles. It’s actually a fairly common pricing model either here or in Europe or other parts of the world, where the pricing may vary depending on the game itself.”

Don't worry doug people will just pirate your game then. Have fun getting 0.00 dollars for your game.

TLZ

Banned
Funny thing is that BotW also had very little shown off of its world and people were doing the same exact thing, suggesting it was a dead, empty, boring game.

Then it became one of the most beloved entries in the franchise and a breath of fresh air for open world design. People need to learn to wait for a game's release instead of making accusations without playing it or knowing how the finished product actually is.
With BOTW it was all new though. Everything was new.

Unlike this one where everything feels extremely familiar. That's where the complaints stem from. Especially after 6 years of wait.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
With BOTW it was all new though. Everything was new.

Unlike this one where everything feels extremely familiar. That's where the complaints stem from. Especially after 6 years of wait.

A direct sequel will have a lot of very familiar elements. We have seen *very* little about teh game. Little more than the first game's reveals. At most, we know the general gist of the world, that there are now sky islands and the overworld has been altered to some degree, and we have new abilities. That is it.

We don't know how much the world has changed, we don't know how many new enemies, weapons, or otherwise there will be. We don't know about dungeons, shrines, etc. Yet we have people saying, definitively, that this is a rush job with no care put into it. That all the enemies are palette swaps, taht nothing has change,d that we will explore the same world, again.

Not that they are *worried* that these may be things, but that they 100% are. That is the problem. There is plenty to be worried about, critical of, and tepid about. But people need to learn to not jump to conclusions and make claims when *no one* knows what is going to happen.

I am 100% all for people to be worried or critical. I am not 100% for people making claims that they can't back up.

The departure of BotW from the traditional Zelda style was enough to feel like substantial content even if they didn’t show much. It was exciting. We aren’t seeing anything new except some crafting with TotK. I will wait and see but I am not surprised by the skepticism compared to BotW, I think it’s deserved.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The departure of BotW from the traditional Zelda style was enough to feel like substantial content even if they didn’t show much. It was exciting. We aren’t seeing anything new except some crafting with TotK. I will wait and see but I am not surprised by the skepticism compared to BotW, I think it’s deserved.

I agree with the skepticism entirely. I love Zelda and even I am a bit nervous with the lack of info we are getting. But jumping the gun helps noone and being hyperbolic just makes people look silly and stops conversations and discussions form happening.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I agree with the skepticism entirely. I love Zelda and even I am a bit nervous with the lack of info we are getting. But jumping the gun helps noone and being hyperbolic just makes people look silly and stops conversations and discussions form happening.
After 6 years, and 300hrs in the game, I'm happy to return to this world. I don't care if some people consider this DLC, I will gladly enjoy the new stuff.

People today are depressed and anxious because they can't fucking find anything good in anything, there's no joy, just looking at the bad and all the info around you is everything is awful even tho we are living in the best time for gaming, life, and tech. Being cynical isn't helping anyone.

You never hear about this guy for long periods of time.

Then every time he opens his mouth he says something dumb or controversial. At least Reggie was more tactful and engaged with the fans more frequently.

small_law

Wasn't there going to be an expansion pass for $30? Didn't Nintendo say it was going to be available same day as release? I don't see it anywhere.

Wasn't there going to be an expansion pass for $30? Didn't Nintendo say it was going to be available same day as release? I don't see it anywhere.
That was never announced.

It was a snippet taken from an official site but it quickly got taken down. DLC announcement probably intentionally coming after the game’s launch in order to avoid people’s complaints about the $70 pricing

I guess the truth of "we'll raise the price for as much as you lil fuckers let us get away with it - and you will" doesn't sound quite as nice. He's absolutely right.

small_law

That was never announced.

It was a snippet taken from an official site but it quickly got taken down. DLC announcement probably intentionally coming after the game’s launch in order to avoid people’s complaints about the $70 pricing
Aw the video I saw was some bullshit concoction. Gotcha. Thanks

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Interesting!
The game meant to be more than 16Gb (around 18Gb) but ended up being exactly 16Gb! Point that it costs 70$ because it's on a 32Gb card is not valid.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
He was right after all. The game is not “perfect”, but the experience and content are absolutely worth the price, no matter how much some people will rant on about it running on an ancient tablet and all that jazz. About that, it’s great how the actual Switch console is effectively featured in the game itself as an ancient device. I like to think this is Nintendo deliberately taking a jab at those comments.

Stooky

Never knew Nintendo made a Doom game till now, always thought it was Midway who made Doom 64... 👀👀👀
Well yeah Nintendo didn't make Doom. The publisher had to buy the cartridges from Nintendo which would drive the price of game up. Anyways games where still more expensive back then, when you calculate in inflation. just there is a history of this with Nintendo.

CZJ6pqbIpSrdqqGnhPh1hPHfaNVFNtgIv_F52RrTvL0.jpg
hnrbkcj5wdh91.jpg

Last edited:
Well yeah Nintendo didn't make Doom. The publisher had to buy the cartridges from Nintendo which would drive the price of game up. Anyways games where still more expensive back then when you calculate in inflation. just there is a history of this with Nintendo.

CZJ6pqbIpSrdqqGnhPh1hPHfaNVFNtgIv_F52RrTvL0.jpg
hnrbkcj5wdh91.jpg

"realistic graphics"

Fredrik

$70 dollar cost more justified than other games in my opinion. Breaming with content and ingenuity, more than any game in the last 5 years in the Triple A space. I cant see how any game can top it for years to be honest.
Yeah. Other AAA devs seriously needs to step up their game and stop wasting time and money on just improving the surface, they all look like they’ve been stuck polishing games from 1995 now.

CGNoire

At least post uncompressed screenshots that are not screencaptures from YouTube. I think the game looks fine on the system that it is currently running on(~393 GFLOPS) especially an open world game with an insane physics system.

FoeskYuaYAA0fAp

FpMiAN6WYAA_L-O

Fq4LUMwaQAA3vEF

Fq4LUdWacAEiqQl
Why does everyone keep harking on the physics? Dude there awesome because they are part of the gameplay but there not technically impressive.

I swear some of yall forgot how common rigged body havoc physics used to be and was near standard with a large amount of effected objects during the 360/PS3 era. Shit Mercenaries on PS2 had a pretty robust interactive physics system.

Its awesome they made it part of gameplay but can yall please stop gaslighting everyone about how "technically" impressive it is.

Top Bottom