• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Norway to ban new sales of gas-powered cars by 2025

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geist-

http://electrek.co/2016/06/03/norway-gasoline-powered-car-ban-2025/

jDfdKQN.png

Inb4 "there's a vagina on that newspaper!"

Norway’s four main political parties have been discussing a possible ban on new gasoline-powered car sales (diesel or petrol) for quite some time, but they were not able to come to an understanding until now, according to a new report from Dagens Næringsliv (Paywall), an important newspaper in Norway.

The four main political parties, both from the right and the left, have agreed on a new energy policy that will include a ban on new gasoline-powered car sales as soon as 2025 – making it one of the most aggressive timeline of its kind for such a policy. What’s probably most remarkable here is that Norway is currently one of the world’s largest Oil exporters.

India confirmed that it is evaluating a scheme for all its fleet to be electric by 2030 and the Dutch government is discussing the possibility to ban gas-powered car sales and only allow electric vehicle sales starting also by 2025, but the idea divides the parliament.

Norway’s initiative looks like it could be the first made into law and would only allow zero-emission vehicles to be sold in the country starting in less than a decade.

Madao

i wonder if i'll still be alive when something like this happens in my country.

good to see some countries already walking this path.

Drazgul

Hah, fools. Everyone knows that in the future, guzzoline will be the most precious commodity by far. It's like they've never seen Mad Max before.

indask8

I guess used car sales will still be legal, so it'll still take 20 or so extra years before they go full electric.

Madness

Needs to happen sooner. Worldwide.

And what do you suggest will replace trucks, ambulances, fire trucks, delivery vans? We're barely at the point where non-gas powered vehicles have dropped to below luxury prices. Outside of a handful of countries there is no development or infrastructure to support a change. Norway also doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. They can take every car off the road in Norway and you would probably match the same amount of cars added in India and China and Brazil in a year.

Also, Norway as a major oil exporter is just hastening it's own decline as well, pretty funny how they will export tons of oil but want to ban gas powered cars in their own country.

I have no doubts the future is electric vehicles. But a flat out ban within 9 years for sales of non-electric vehicles?

They will just legislate the deadline and then realize a few years down the line that it is too soon even for a rich country where tesla's are top sellers.
I hope countries don't force a ban on gas cars though at least until electric cars get cheaper and have better range.

It probably won't be too soon for Norway. They've got one of the most developed electric infrastructures and it is growing exponentially. So 8 years is a long time.

J-Rzez

LOL@ that Elon tweet.

Another reason I'm glad I don't live in Norway. Electric isn't nearly fleshed out enough yet at this point.

Unfortunately gonna be a good deal longer before the bigger countries ban them. Needs to happen worldwide. The electric cars will be about ready by then.

The thread title is very confusing. The phrase "gas-powered" brings to mind LPG powered cars specifically, whereas this appears to be related to petrol engines.

Nobody uses the word "gasoline" outside the Americas.

So in about 9 years then?
Its going to take longer for electric cars to be as affordable and practical as gas cars
And even then there must be a bigger grace period. Most car manufacturers haven't even started transitioning into making electric vehicles aside from the odd model.

Ironic since one of the craziest track days in the world is in Norway and itself has a rich tuning and motorsport history alongside the rest of Scandanavia.

Kinda glad I don't live in Norway. Then again I don't buy new cars anyway, so something like this really wouldn't affect me.

Is it hypocritical when Norway is also the tenth largest oil exporter in the world?

No.

There are many fields where combustion engines are the most efficient and also more oeco-friendly than possible alternatives. See the broad field of marine propulsion.

USA is at least 30* years away from this. China 50* years. India 100* years.
*imo

Is that imo a result of somekind of petriotism? The USA couldn't be further away of pulling something like Norway and unlike China which is market leader and largest investor of renewable energy there aren't even any attempts of providing the necessary energy infrastructure for something like in Noway. Even ignoring all the lobbying done in the USA.

No.

There are many fields where combustion engines are the most efficient and also more oeco-friendly than possible alternatives. See the broad field of marine propulsion.

Is that imo a result of somekind of petriotism? The USA couldn't be further away of pulling something like Norway and unlike China which is market leader and largest investor of renewable energy there aren't even any attempts of providing the necessary energy infrastructure for something like in Noway. Even ignoring all the lobbying done in the USA.

USA still has a lot more regulation than China and China has been polluting more CO2 in the air than the US since 2006. So American patriotism aside, I'm projecting the US is closer than China is to moving on to renewable transportation. Maybe we'll both be fortunate to live long enough to find out.

USA still has a lot more regulation than China and China has been polluting more CO2 in the air than the US since 2006. So American patriotism aside, I'm projecting the US is closer than China is to moving on to renewable transportation. Maybe we'll both be fortunate to live long enough to find out.

Well, China has several times the population of the USA. What a surprise that China has a higher total output than other way smaller countries. If you compare the per capita output then we should be happy that Chinese aren't little Americans in that regard.

The fact is also skewed because of the incredible large trade balance deficit, which means that a lot of the products are the consumer goods are produced in China or other SEA states (which gets the blame for the CO2 output) but in reality all those products are only produced because of the USA.
Outsourcing is great at making things cheaper and also to shift blame.

Peru

Yeah for some reason we've become the no. 1 country in the world to buy electric cars, in spite of having few big cites and a low population density. like 1/4 cars sold.

Mistranslation. It's about a pill that will increase their sexual appetite.

Davilmar

And what do you suggest will replace trucks, ambulances, fire trucks, delivery vans? We're barely at the point where non-gas powered vehicles have dropped to below luxury prices. Outside of a handful of countries there is no development or infrastructure to support a change. Norway also doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. They can take every car off the road in Norway and you would probably match the same amount of cars added in India and China and Brazil in a year.

Also, Norway as a major oil exporter is just hastening it's own decline as well, pretty funny how they will export tons of oil but want to ban gas powered cars in their own country.

I have no doubts the future is electric vehicles. But a flat out ban within 9 years for sales of non-electric vehicles?

I think too many people are missing this post. Not what I consider the best considered policy, even if I agree that we need more emphasis on non-gas powered vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom