• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Norway to ban new sales of gas-powered cars by 2025

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Its going to take longer for electric cars to be as affordable and practical as gas cars
And even then there must be a bigger grace period. Most car manufacturers haven't even started transitioning into making electric vehicles aside from the odd model.

What? No way. You can get a Volt right now for $38,000 (CAD). Long range with hybrid engine. In 9 years you'll definitely be able to get purely electric cars for way less.

Its going to take longer for electric cars to be as affordable and practical as gas cars
And even then there must be a bigger grace period. Most car manufacturers haven't even started transitioning into making electric vehicles aside from the odd model.

No it's not.

The main cost of an EV is the battery, which has a learning rate of around 20%. Meaning that for every time you double the scale, the cost of production goes down by 20%.

The Model T had a learning rate of around 15%, with a conservative rate of growth for EV's at around 30% (real world growth ATM is 60% annual)

This graph uses Model T learning rate with the extremely conservative EV rate of growth of 30%

Electric-Vehicle-Learning-Curve-EVs-Dropping-Below-Cost-of-Gas-Cars-30percent-CAGR-16percent-LR.jpg

In a decade, by 2026, it wouldn't be shocking to see EV's with a distance of 250-300 miles cost around 20K, and that growth and cost is on a considerable conservative growth rate (the same way solar has been on a conservative growth rate for the last decade and constantly blows the doors off of growth models in terms of real world growth).

It's not hard to see, look at where we were in 2006 in terms of EV tech and the cost of an EV, and look at where we are now, and just think about that rate of growth, but much steeper, faster, and cheaper in the coming decade.

Big-E

How is this going to work for rural communities. I spent the last year living remote in Canada. Electric cars and self driving cars are Not going to work here unless governments improve infrastructure a lot. Current evs cant handle a logging road.

Waaghals

While the population do live relatively scattered, few Norwegians live at the end of a logging road.

I'm going to hazard a guess that few Canadians do, too.

That's fantastic. Hope the U.S. does the same in 20 years.

Very doubtful unless 'the big 3' begin to turn from gas to electric. Which I don't see happening given so many us Americans having an obsession with trucks or more power than we realistically need.

How is this going to work for rural communities. I spent the last year living remote in Canada. Electric cars and self driving cars are Not going to work here unless governments improve infrastructure a lot. Current evs cant handle a logging road.

Rural communities have over a decade to equip themselves. This is, again, the sale of NEW cars. People can continue to buy used gas-cars. Hell, you may even be able to buy one from across state borders if you must. I'd need someone from Norway to confirm if that's possible though.

Ashes

Banned
Oil is much more valuable than its use as fuel. In fact I would say using it as a fuel is a pretty massively moronic waste.

What on earth are you about? What's more useful than fuel in the modern world? Society would be pretty much collapse without oil at the moment. At the very least be hugely different.

The Lamp

What on earth are you about? What's more useful than fuel in the modern world? Society would be pretty much collapse without oil at the moment. At the very least be hugely different.

You can get energy from various sources.

Meanwhile oil and natural gas are basically the de facto source of hydrocarbons used to make materials and chemicals, such as plastic/polymers, which go in your food, medicine, construction, infrastructure, technology, weapons, and consumer products and toys.

shiba5

Very doubtful unless 'the big 3' begin to turn from gas to electric. Which I don't see happening given so many us Americans having an obsession with trucks or more power than we realistically need.

Well I'm curious, do they have electric vehicles over there capable of towing? I have a truck because I tow horses and there is no alternative to gas powered vehicles for that kind of load.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That's fucking awesome. I hope the dutch government follows suit eventually. You already see quite a lot of electrics and hybrids over here. My neighbours drive a Tesla Model S 85.

Electric is undoubtedly the future of automotive transportation and i'm glad Norway is there to lead the charge. Hopefully in 25-30 years we'll think of combustion engines like we currently see steampowered engines on locomotives.

I'm very much into this AI driver, electric vehicle future. We'll be living in fucking Minority Report over here soon. It'll be hilarious to see how long it'll take for the US to follow suit though.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Here you see a smart, rich country investing in the future before they need to. Doing this will force them to become the best experts in the world in running an electric car society, something all countries will transform into in the next 50 years.

Kinda like how Finland figured that everyone could have a mobile phone, not just business men. Shame Finnish politicians are visionless and spineless - this could have been Finland just as well. Great electric grid, and car manufacturign expertise. But no. Gg Norway!

Neo C.

The newspaper frontpage is also a bit misleading. They won't actually ban gas/diesel cars, they hope that technology has advanced enough that no one really would need it, also probably heavier taxed vs. more incentives for buying zero emission cars. This goal does also not include bigger long haul trucks and other areas where zero emission vehicles still need some time to catch up.

Heavier tax sounds good, way more reasonable than a outright ban. I hope my country will follow this example, unfortunately the car lobby is quite strong even without a national car industry.

Theonik

You can get energy from various sources.

Meanwhile oil and natural gas are basically the de facto source of hydrocarbons used to make materials and chemicals, such as plastic/polymers, which go in your food, medicine, construction, infrastructure, technology, weapons, and consumer products and toys.
Precisely. If anything, the value of the energy market is what motivates seeking alternative sources of energy.

LeleSocho

Banned
Yeah, but to his point - you can't really do a track day with a Tesla.

Musk just a couple of days ago said that they could easily do a 400 miles car today and that technology allow improvement of the batteries' capacity 5% every year but the priorities now are put elsewhere, so i would guess if you are ok with having a less powerful car you can do a 500-600 miles one in a couple of years.

Neo C.

I'm very much into this AI driver, electric vehicle future. We'll be living in fucking Minority Report over here soon. It'll be hilarious to see how long it'll take for the US to follow suit though.

I'm not American, but considering the laws in some states and Tesla's success, I think the US will actually lead the change, at least in some cities and wealthier areas.

My main reason why I still hesitate with electric car is simply the (lacking) infrastructure: I rent a small apartment and can't charge it at home. I also can't spend big money for it but still needs a car with the range of a Model S.
I'm optimistic to be a electric car driver in ten years though, although I don't think I'll drive much with autonomous driving being popular in the next few years.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
All the Debbie Downers in this thread. Good on ya, Norway, keep being awesome and please rub off on Sweden some more.

Well I'm curious, do they have electric vehicles over there capable of towing?

I've never seen one, but I also live in Michigan which tries super hard to fight electric vehicles given the influence the domestics have here. The nearest charge station is actually a state away from me.

Is Norway a car culture like the US?

If not, this isn't a huge deal like most of you are making this be.

Unless you're living in the center of one of the bigger cities you need to have a car here.

It's also not a big deal as people will still be able to by diesel-powered cars.

This applies to both gasoline and diesel cars. But as already mentioned it's not actually a ban, it's even higher taxes on buying such a car.

Its not even about saving the planet. Its about preventing or diminishing the already increasing problem of pollution.

Way to go Norway.
Well I mean at this point yeah that's true, but it just pisses me off when people have the attitude of 'its wrong to try and save the planet when it reduces my options as a consumer'.

Just reminds me of:
4254681996_27b1ed7ff0.jpg

Calamari41

41 > 38
Seems to me that the more "money where your mouth is" move would be to halt all oil drilling and exploration. As it stands, this is just a PR move that can easily be delayed into oblivion.

HolySheep

Neo Member
Unless you're living in the center of one of the bigger cities you need to have a car here.

This applies to both gasoline and diesel cars. But as already mentioned it's not actually a ban, it's even higher taxes on buying such a car.

yup, the idea being that no one would want to buy a gasoline and diesel car.

Musk just a couple of days ago said that they could easily do a 400 miles car today and that technology allow improvement of the batteries' capacity 5% every year but the priorities now are put elsewhere, so i would guess if you are ok with having a less powerful car you can do a 500-600 miles one in a couple of years.

Its not just the range. The tesla is still a large family sedan. While it may have good acceleration, its not really a car I could see myself having fun driving.

Maybe when theres an electric car thats a proper rival to something like a mazda mx5 Id be interested. But as of now all electric cars are boring and uninteresting to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom