• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Norway to ban new sales of gas-powered cars by 2025

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

It will probably require two ways to tackle the mileage problem. Exchangeable batteries and a better charging system.

And i think both will need government help to achieve both. Quick charging over 15 minutes gets you half a days worth but also with financial benefits. Only way to do that IAS with government help. Tax rebates on the cars, cheaper electricity in your house. If you tell people you will lower their tax bill and electricity bill, you can get their attention.

Since the government has propped up big oil, we should remove their tax subsidies and give it to big electric.

State sponsors a lot of the taxes on those. Whatever the % is, it seems to be a lot.

There's no VAT, no one-time fee to get the car into the country, lower yearly fee to own the car, free parking on government parking spots, free driving on toll roads, free ferries (still have to pay for the people in the car though) and gas here costs up to $7 a gallon.

It will probably require two ways to tackle the mileage problem. Exchangeable batteries and a better charging system.

And i think both will need government help to achieve both. Quick charging over 15 minutes gets you half a days worth but also with financial benefits. Only way to do that IAS with government help. Tax rebates on the cars, cheaper electricity in your house. If you tell people you will lower their tax bill and electricity bill, you can get their attention.

Since the government has propped up big oil, we should remove their tax subsidies and give it to big electric.

Exchangable batteries isnt needed at all really.

By 2025 the cheapsest EV will have a 300 mile range, more than enough for a persons average commute to work or going around town. Also by that time self driving cars will be near the norm, so you can literally go "Car, find charging station", go to work for the day, call the car when needed and boom, its fully charged again.

TBiddy

State sponsors a lot of the taxes on those. Whatever the % is, it seems to be a lot.

There's not VAT or "car tax" on electric cars in Norway. However, the price is still ~71,000$ US for the base-model of S60. The 90D costs 95,000$ USD, so it's not a cheap car.

Now imagine the prices in Denmark, where you can add 150% tax... :)

That's what I meant. All things considered (batteries etc.), it's still pretty polluting. Just as windmills are, from what I can gather.

Windmills have a very residual footprint when not in use. Power grids are shifting towards renewable power sources and manufacturing processes are ever becoming more sustainable, these will eventually become none issues.

TBiddy

Windmills have a very residual footprint when not in use. Power grids are shifting towards renewable power sources and manufacturing processes are ever becoming more sustainable, these will eventually become none issues.

There's also the cost of transporting, setting them up and tearing them down. I've read a few conflicting reports on which is the more polluting right now - wind mills or coal.

Kuros

By 2025 the cheapsest EV will have a 300 mile range, more than enough for a persons average commute to work or going around town. Also by that time self driving cars will be near the norm, so you can literally go "Car, find charging station", go to work for the day, call the car when needed and boom, its fully charged again.

There is no way self driving cars will work without a person in the vehicle by 2025.

jmdajr

abbath_point.jpg

more walks!

Kuros

The ultimate Nanny State.

Work? Maybe. No way self drive cars, with no human override, will be insurable by 2025. If ever.

Yep thats what I meant. You certainly won't be able to tell your car to go find a charge point while you're at work as suggested by the poster.

andthebeatgoeson

Then we really just need fast chargers easily installed. Rebates to include them in new houses. Because you still need to get over the time it takes to charge up. But I don't think that's a huge hurdle.

In the interim, they need to get businesses to install them, so people can recharge at work. Malls. Parks.

Largely ignorant on this but how effective are heaters in electric cars? Does mileage take a big dip in winter?

Not much difference. In our Leaf, you may lose 5-10 miles over 90 mile range. Although, we are in Atlanta and I know my wife scrimps on the heater and AC due to range anxiety.

Outright banning it seems like a poor choice of policy, and it also makes it seem like they are either unaware of unwilling to compromise on the fact that a sizable portion of any society will try to revitalize the technology once it becomes an icon of old times, and will try to bring it back. As it actually already the case with automobilia.

Theonik

Outright banning it seems like a poor choice of policy, and it also makes it seem like they are either unaware of unwilling to compromise on the fact that a sizable portion of any society will try to revitalize the technology once it becomes an icon of old times, and will try to bring it back. As it actually already the case with automobilia.
That doesn't matter so much. As long as the mainstream moves on, due to the nature of heavy industry like cars they will be quite expensive which inhibits them catching on for more than a niche with more money than sense.

Robotguy

Can you link me to these reports?

http://www.nrel.gov/analysis/sustain_lca_wind.html
Here are a couple sources on lifetime emissions of wind power vs other power sources I posted in the Trump wind thread a while back that would support the claim that wind is more environmentally friendly than fossil fuels:

Overall harmonization shows that wind is similar to other renewables and nuclear energy and much lower than fossil fuel in total life cycle GHG emissions. In addition, the harmonization process increased the precision of life cycle GHG emission estimates in the literature while having little effect on published central tendency.

http://journalistsresource.org/studi...ar-wind-energy

Based on the studies examined, wind energy emits an average of 34.11 grams of CO2 per kWh over its lifetime, with a low estimate of 0.4 grams and a high estimate of 364.8 grams. The mean value for solar PV is 49.91 grams of CO2 per kWh, with a low estimate of 1 gram and a high estimate of 218 grams. The large ranges in the estimates were due to factors such as resource inputs, technology, location, sizing and capacity and longevity, as well different calculation methods used by source studies.

For reference the CO2 emissions per kWh of various fossil fuel are around 800-1000 grams https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=74&t=11

MNC

15% Tesla? I mean Norweigans are rich, but that rich? They're not cheap cars.

That's what I meant. All things considered (batteries etc.), it's still pretty polluting. Just as windmills are, from what I can gather.

It's not 15%. 5% of all new cars are Tesla, though.

I pulled the number out of my ass. It was so much more than other European countries, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom