• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that the dust has settled, is FF16 a top 5 Final Fantasy?

Is Final Fantasy XVI a top five FF?

• Yes

Votes: 100 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 154 60.6%

• Total voters

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I really enjoyed so many of them. I got FF7 for my 14th birthday. It was a BIG DEAL at the time for my older siblings.

But, I have to say that FF 16 has become my overall favorite. It was the first game in the series on the PS5 and the characters and storyline were just a total home run. You could totally tell what the ending was going to be like as you got closer and closer, it was a total gut puncher. But when it actually happens, nothing can prepare you for it even though you know it’s coming. I really like what they did with XVI to deliver some closure to the story.

I thought XV was really good too. The themes of friendship in life and death, etc were really played out well.

However, what do you say? Is XVI amongst the series' greats?

Lokaum D+

of "modern ones" ? Yes

1 - FF XIV
2 - FF X
3 - FF 7R
4 - FF IX
5 - FF XVI
6 - FF VII OG
7 - FF VIII
8 - FF XII
9 - FF XV
10 - FF XIII

All time ( almost )
1 - FF XIV
2 - FF X
3 - FF 7R
4 - FF IX
5- FF VI
6 - FF XVI
7 - FF VII OG
8 - FF VIII
9 - FF V
10 - FF XV
11 - FF XII
12 - FF V
13 - FF IV
14 - FF III
15 - FF II
16 - FF I
17 - FF XIII
18 - FF XIII - 2
19 - FF LR

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Haven't finished it yet. I am close. It is good, but also lacking. I have not enjoyed a Final Fantasy Overworld since FFIX. This game doesn't have good exploration. The combat and story are good though and it works as a game, I just got it stuck in my head that Final Fantasy games have great exploration when that hasn't been true for 20 years. I think I would have like the areas more if the loot wasn't so shitty. FFS the pickups are terrible. 2 gil? Fuck that.

Reactions: Isa

StueyDuck

I mean it's number 16... and the the franchise has most of those entries being amazing 🤷‍♂️.

For me it's

X
IX
V
VI
VII (not the remake although the remake is also 5 for me)

But like 16 is pretty close.

sendit

Good action game. However, I don't want future Final Fantasy games to follow this format. I want to see an open world, RPG elements, and stats that mean something. From the Final Fantasy games I've played.

Ranked from best to worse IMO:
1. FF 6
2. FF 7
3. FF 12
4. FF 8
5. FF 15
6. FF 16
7. FF 9
9. FF 10
10. FF 13

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
IX
VIII
VI
V
XV

XVI is really low. Somewhere in the teens.

People still have brain worms for X I see when it has worse side quests than XVI.

Reactions: Isa

Go_Ly_Dow

I love the world, the themes, music, the main and the sub characters and the story is very FF, so it's a yes for me, as that's what I judge my enjoyment of an FF game on. Rather than combat, systems and side content.

1. FFX
2. FFVII
3. FFIX
4. FFXVI
5. FFVIII
6. FFVI
7. FFXII
8. FFXIII
9. FFIV
10. FFXV

Haven't included 7R but I rate it very highly and loved my time with part 1.

I've never played XI or XIV but from what I've seen XIV looks like a blast.

Last edited:
I play on PC, and it's on Steam. I still think it's a bastardization of the original's story.
It's supposed to be. It's a sequel.

I really worry for the people who are still clinging onto this faint hope that FF7 R series is going to be a full-on remake when the first one very quickly showed that it is not that at all.

Myths

Haven't played it yet since I wait for the PC release. But my current top 5 are

Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age (the speedup option is essential, imho).
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy II
The fact that II and V made it to the top is respectable sir. I would assume were talking about old school DoS II and not FFIV NA.

The rest of your list is a the same as mine.

LakeOf9

No, lol. it's in the bottom half

1. 9
  2. 6
  3. 7
  4. 12
  5. 4
  6. 10
  7. 16
  8. 8
  9. 13
  10. 15
Haven't played the old 8 bit ones and 11. 14 I think of as its own thing.

7 Remake and Tactics would be under 12 and above 4, which pushes 16 down even more

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I'm getting pretty close to the end. My ranking

FFXIV > FFVII > FFXII > FFVI > FFIX

Hudo

The fact that II and V made it to the top is respectable sir. I would assume were talking about old school DoS II and not FFIV NA.

The rest of your list is a the same as mine.
Your assumption is correct, good Sir. It is indeed the "real" II. I think Akitoshi Kawazu was onto something with his "let's improve the stats by using them". Even if it can be abused to hell (which is what makes it fun).

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Ultimately I'm a sucker for a love story or strong romantic angle in an FF and think every FF should prioritise this.

I mean it's not surprise the best selling FF games all have this theme. 🫢

Last edited:

Sojiro

From what I have seen of it (I haven't played it) I don't think it will be for me. It would have to beat out FFVII on my top 5:

FFIX > FFVI > FFXII > FFV > FFVII

If we count non mainline entries, I would put Tactics after VI and bump off VII. So far the only two I haven't played are XV and XVI, but I really really doubt they will make it in my top five. Not to say they are bad games though, and I imagine I would like them more than XIII which I consider the worst one.

Disco Dave

Haven't finished it yet. I am close. It is good, but also lacking. I have not enjoyed a Final Fantasy Overworld since FFIX. This game doesn't have good exploration. The combat and story are good though and it works as a game, I just got it stuck in my head that Final Fantasy games have great exploration when that hasn't been true for 20 years. I think I would have like the areas more if the loot wasn't so shitty. FFS the pickups are terrible. 2 gil? Fuck that.
Agree with your comments on the game.

And you are absolutely correct on your bolded comment. Two gil isn't worth bending over for.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
It's supposed to be. It's a sequel.

I really worry for the people who are still clinging onto this faint hope that FF7 R series is going to be a full-on remake when the first one very quickly showed that it is not that at all.

It's going to be much more like the Star Wars sequel trilogy. Largely the same stories being retold, but with altered events. Each one deviating a bit more from it's spiritual predecessor. Only in this case, it uses weird time travel/alternate dimension shenanigans. Still, I really enjoyed Remake.

It's going to be much more like the Star Wars sequel trilogy. Largely the same stories being retold, but with altered events. Each one deviating a bit more from it's spiritual predecessor. Only in this case, it uses weird time travel/alternate dimension shenanigans. Still, I really enjoyed Remake.
I consider it more like the Terminator movies. You know the events that are supposed to happen. John Connor becomes leader of the resistance. The way it happens however keeps changing with every movie that takes place after T2. Those movies are still technically sequels to each other even though they could all be considered 'Terminator 3'. Salvation would be considered Advent Children.

Kaachan

Not even top five for me

It’s not better than any Sakaguchi title, but at least it was complete and it’s a big improvement to XV

Big plus for the Eikon battles and music but everything else felt lacking

My Top 5, in no particular order, are:

FFIX
FFVIII
FFXIII
FFVI
FFVIIR

(….and then FFX, then FFVII, then FFIV, then FFXII)

But also including spin-offs I love, love, love Duodecim, Stranger of Paradise, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns. And Type-0 is enjoyable if you abuse the Arena exploit and bypass all the nasty grinding.

Last edited:
Too early for me and I haven't played it yet.

I hope so, or at least a path going forward. FFXIII and FFXV were shite.
It’s not better than any Sakaguchi title, but at least it was complete and it’s a big improvement to XV
Sakaguchi is such a good director, it always feels like the guy is not even trying.

I reckon he probably has super accurate intuition.

I always had the feeling it's Kitase and other people who worked with him keeping the door closed. But they're nowhere as good as he ever was, and I feel that has to do with it.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
honestly the worst FF for me maybe besides ff2...I cant even finish it
200.gif

Top Bottom