• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that the dust has settled, is FF16 a top 5 Final Fantasy?

Is Final Fantasy XVI a top five FF?

• Yes

Votes: 100 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 154 60.6%

• Total voters

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Regardless of FF16's placement I think we can all agree Clive is definitely in top 5 for main FF protagonists. Dude was great.
Lol no he was garbage and his voice actor had zero emotional range or vocal depth to get me to relate to him. Lightning is a better protagonist.

So, we're doing lists...

1. 16
2. 10
3. 7R
4. 12
5. 9

Through The Years Goodbye GIF by Mickey Mouse

Kings Field

im at like 60% completion and it’s a drag at this point. Still a good game but FF 1-10 are still my favorites with 6 being my number 1. This is a good game but too drawn out. The combat is ok and story is good but just too drawn out for me.

NahaNago

I'd rank it as being one of the worst from all of the ff games I've played. I feel like even 13 was better. I mostly have knowledge of ff from 6 through now except for 11. They should have cut out the towns and went full almost linear devil may cry/ FF14 style. What is even the point of leveling up if the monsters level up with you most of the time. i swear this game annoys me the more I think about it but on the other hand I did just have a very touching sidequests but unfortunately the character's facial animations are crap so they failed to properly convey the emotional impact of the scene.

My rankings from number 1 to worst would be 7,9,8,10,6,12,13,15, and 16. I'm not including 14 in it since I really only played the original version but I did love it but I also have no idea where I would rank it even though I've spent the most time playing that game versus all of the others. 13 and 15 should switch since I haven't finished 15 and I vaguely remember 6.

Myths

I notice that XVI rarely ever makes it if both X and IV are placed in the top 5. Rarely do I ever have any thing in common with those who do. But I’m not at all surprised, those two games are among the most boring in the franchise with its battle systems.

Last edited:

Garnox

Haven't played it yet. I haven't played a mainline FF since XIII (I played VIIR)

I'll get around to catching up on these titles so I can update my list. Right now, my top 5 is pretty basic:

FFIX
FFVII
FFX
FFVIII
FFIV (I liked the DS version)

Trumpets

'fraid not. It's amazing in places but also extremely boring in others, in a ratio of about 30/70. Would have made a brilliant 15 hour action game.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
The initial hours are very impressive. However, it’s the only FF I’ve ever just flat out put down. Worse I don’t think I’ll be going back to it.

The awful side quests, lack of customization of any kind, on rails piss easy combat , and above all god awful pacing makes this a total flop for me. I think there’s a good story and characters here but I could just watch YT videos to get the same experience if every other part meant to engage a player is a miss. Maybe I didn’t get far enough but after 20-30 hours I think that’s enough time for a RPG to pick up the pace.

I expected more because we have the FFXI guy , 14 guy, and dmc combat guy , but all I felt like we got was the FFXiv base game experience of boredom and ffxiv current trash walk here talk to this person on repeat.

Maybe I’ll go back to it next year when there is less games to occupy my time with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom