• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that the dust has settled, is FF16 a top 5 Final Fantasy?

Is Final Fantasy XVI a top five FF?

• Yes

Votes: 100 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 154 60.6%

• Total voters

Belthazar

No, my ranking goes:

1: IX
2: V
3: IV
4: VII
5: XII
6: VI
7: X
8: XV
9: XVI
10: XIII
11: VIII
12: III
13: I
14: II

VIIR goes around the same spot as original VII.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Bottom five.
It might be in the bottom 5 of ones I’ve played. The GameBoy Final Fantasy was more consistently fun, imo.

My PS5 says I’ve played the game for 29 hours, but a good chunk of that is me falling asleep with the game on. Not the game’s fault. I play at night after the kids and wife are asleep. So I’ve realistically put in maybe 12-15 hours. I think maybe 1 hour of that was actually fun.

Last edited:

TheCed

It's not in my top 10 (Considering Spin offs). It is by no mean a bad game, but there were simply a lot of better ones.

If I was to make a Tier list on how much I enjoyed various FF games (If the gameplay is fun, I can forgive some of the story shortcomings)

Not ordered within the same Tier.

S Tier: VI, VII, IX, Tactics

A Tier: V, VIIr, X, XII TZA, XIII-2

B Tier: III, IV, X-2, XVI, Crisis Core, SoP

etc

Bottom Tier : II, XV

It's supposed to be. It's a sequel.

I really worry for the people who are still clinging onto this faint hope that FF7 R series is going to be a full-on remake when the first one very quickly showed that it is not that at all.
Yeah, but it was advertised as and touted as a remake, not a sequel. I agree that it's very obvious now and I don't think anyone is expecting anything else going forward except crazy town.

As far as XVI, not sure where it sits with me in the end. Probably not top 5.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Light your torches:

So far...
#1. FFVIII
#2. FFVII
#3. FFX
#4. FFIX
#5. FFXVI - guessing it's placement cuz I haven't played, but generally looks like it's upgraded from FFXV's combat. I'll always choose turn based FF over this DMC style of combat.

Also: FFXI is a better MMO than FFXIV.

*arranges gathered wood into a pyre*.
I regret nothing...

squarealex

FF16 have a least a better story than FF8, so yes...

For me :

1 : IX
2 : X
3 : VII
4 : VI
5 : XVI

Last edited:
Yeah, but it was advertised as and touted as a remake, not a sequel. I agree that it's very obvious now and I don't think anyone is expecting anything else going forward except crazy town.
I honestly think that the FF7R team Kojima'd everyone(just like when Kojima only advertised Solid Snake being in MGS2), because after playing it the word 'Remake' was about the intention of Sephiroth, not a descriptor of the game itself. It is a play on the word itself.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Its not. V through X is probably the best streak for a gaming franchise (yes including VIII). I had a great experience with the game though.

Sojiro

Light your torches:

So far...
#1. FFVIII
#2. FFVII
#3. FFX
#4. FFIX
#5. FFXVI - guessing it's placement cuz I haven't played, but generally looks like it's upgraded from FFXV's combat. I'll always choose turn based FF over this DMC style of combat.

Also: FFXI is a better MMO than FFXIV.

*arranges gathered wood into a pyre*.
I regret nothing...
100% agreed with the bolded. I like XIV and think it's great, but it pales in comparison to XI IMO. Although I will say some of XI's earlier endgame world spawn bosses with crazy pop windows fucking bloooooows

I honestly think that the FF7R team Kojima'd everyone(just like when Kojima only advertised Solid Snake being in MGS2), because after playing it the word 'Remake' was about the intention of Sephiroth, not a descriptor of the game itself. It is a play on the word itself.
Yes, exactly, a Kojima swap.

Yoboman

FFXVI has my favourite stories, characters and setting. The lore is insanely well done. The themes are better realised than other FF games

It also has my favourite combat system

My issues with it is the lack of RPG depth and freedom. But that's something that could be said of other FFs too..it just feels more apparent in the modern era and in a post BOTW and Elden Ring

For their era the FFs on SNES and PS1 did feel open. They werent open world but as close as you were getting in that era. It's the one aspect of FF that they need to be pushing forward with again

Kumomeme

in term of storyline, FFXVI story is great, despite some flaw. definitely one of the best story in franchise. it been decades since we get a single player Final Fantasy with proper story package too.

but, FFXIV Shadowbringers and Endwalker is on whole different level. Heavensward might be better too with same writer working on that expansion.

personally, currently that is the bar that need to be surpassed or targetted not just CBU3, but for the company as whole when it come to Final Fantasy.

Kazutoyo Maehiro who also wrote A Realm Reborn where he learn all the issue and deliver it with Heavensward. if they keep make another new single player mainline FF, i expect they ironed out the issue in FFXVI. i believe they read and aware all the critism that currently being thrown at the game. the division has reputation of learning from mistake or critism. FFXVI could be their single player's A Realm Reborn and XVII could be their 'Heavensward'.

or, for next mainline entry bring this girl as writer:

E9pJ-OkXIAcjjDl.png

she already proven herself with Shadowbringers and Endwalker. totally deserve a spot for next mainline entry.

Last edited:

april6e

Square needs to go back to making classic style JRPGs. That is where they excel. Imagine if we had a Final Fantasy game with gameplay like Octopath Traveler but with the budget, graphics and size of FF13-15. FF16 is a massive improvement over FF15 and FF13 but there still is a giant gulf between it and the older games. I really disliked FF12 when it came out and I even would prefer that over these uninspired modern games that lacks any sort of depth to the combat and character building. I don't feel like I'm even playing a JRPG when I play FF16.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Remember the Final Fantasy anime where one of the characters has a gun and during each fight he describes the color of each bullet, what it symbolizes, and etc. That kind of cringe is how I feel about XVI. It’s taking the enjoyment of its magical world and turning it into some corny 90’s anime. The main voice actor for Clive was even repeating Power Rangers “it’s morphing time”. It’s like the DMC and FFXIV developers had a child.

I love classic FFIV/V all the way to XII. Those are magic to me. I could have skipped XVI. Why is Ifrit so important? Why can’t Ifrit just dwell In a cave somewhere like he did in VIII? XVI was bad at escapism and I did not get the same feeling I had with VII - IX. What I got was an energy fueled, toned down battle system similar to DMC with boring quests. I’ve played DMC multiple times, same with FF since their initial release and to me, XVI was a crappy Final Fantasy game.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Remember the Final Fantasy anime where one of the characters has a gun and during each fight he describes the color of each bullet, what it symbolizes, and etc. That kind of cringe is how I feel about XVI. It’s taking the enjoyment of its magical world and turning it into some corny 90’s anime. The main voice actor for Clive was even repeating Power Rangers “it’s morphing time”. It’s like the DMC and FFXIV developers had a child.

I love classic FFIV/V all the way to XII. Those are magic to me. I could have skipped XVI. Why is Ifrit so important? Why can’t Ifrit just dwell In a cave somewhere like he did in VIII? XVI was bad at escapism and I did not get the same feeling I had with VII - IX. What I got was an energy fueled, toned down battle system similar to DMC with boring quests. I’ve played DMC multiple times, same with FF since their initial release and to me, XVI was a crappy Final Fantasy game.
What are you on about?

poodaddy

Haven't played it yet since I wait for the PC release. But my current top 5 are

Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age (the speedup option is essential, imho).
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy II
This is the list of a man of culture. I like the cut o yer jib good sir.

Madflavor

ITT: 100 people that haven’t played past the demo (or at all)

Come on.

I played all the way through. It’s my personal #6 in terms of rankings. I like a lot of what the game does but it’s flaws are easy to spot or understand why some people may not like the game.

Madflavor

I miss Hironobu Sakaguchi’s vision of Final Fantasy and I realize it’s never going to be the same.

I’m not convinced his talent would’ve carried over into modern gaming. Sometimes we get good things because they were made by the right people, under the right circumstances, at the right time.

This is why we saw so many legends in gaming try to make comebacks years later (Last Story, Mighty No 9, The Evil Within, Bloodstained, to name a few) but their new games didn’t reach the heights of the games that brought them success.

Last edited:
I've only played the demo so I won't vote, but I hope SE considers remaking the fan favorites like FF6. You know the story is a proven hit. Imagine how good it could be with graphics like FF7R or FFXVI

Fredrik

Haven’t played it yet, will try the demo now that I’ve slowly started to peek outside of the TOTK bubble. I nearly jumped in at the release week when the hype was the highest and people said it was their GOTY, but the framerate talk made me think I should wait on the PC version instead. Then this thread comes and lots of people are really down on it now. Is the late game boring or what’s the deal?

Comandr

Definitely not top 5. Wish I stuck with my guns and waited it out instead of getting lured in by the awesome demo.

Would have made an excellent spin off game like Stranger of Paradise. As a mainline FF game it felt almost insultingly shallow.

They deliberately left out side content and dungeons so “people would focus on the story?” Bruh the story isn’t that good. Let’s not kid ourselves.
the twist of the crystals being the cause of everyone’s problems was a neat turn in a different direction but that’s not that compelling. Ultima wasn’t a compelling villain. His second form in the final battle actually made me laugh out loud with how ridiculously generic he looked.

hyperbertha

Definitely not top 5. Wish I stuck with my guns and waited it out instead of getting lured in by the awesome demo.

Would have made an excellent spin off game like Stranger of Paradise. As a mainline FF game it felt almost insultingly shallow.

They deliberately left out side content and dungeons so “people would focus on the story?” Bruh the story isn’t that good. Let’s not kid ourselves.
the twist of the crystals being the cause of everyone’s problems was a neat turn in a different direction but that’s not that compelling. Ultima wasn’t a compelling villain. His second form in the final battle actually made me laugh out loud with how ridiculously generic he looked.
Also what's with everyone being easily manipulated for ultimas gain? Dion and kupka where absolute temperature idiots in this game.

FFXVI has my favourite stories, characters and setting. The lore is insanely well done. The themes are better realised than other FF games

It also has my favourite combat system

My issues with it is the lack of RPG depth and freedom. But that's something that could be said of other FFs too..it just feels more apparent in the modern era and in a post BOTW and Elden Ring

For their era the FFs on SNES and PS1 did feel open. They werent open world but as close as you were getting in that era. It's the one aspect of FF that they need to be pushing forward with again
Yes! Square Enix need to figure out how to make the airship work.

In the ps3 era they kinda had an excuse ( Not really but whatever)

In 2023 there's no excuse with Starfield coming out not to mention fucking No mans sky.

Fast traveling from a menu is a huge downgrade no matter how quick the load times. The sense of exploration, adventure and immersion are completely shattered.

Thankfully the FF7 remake trilogy seems to be forcing them to learn at least I hope it is.

SCB3

Hmm its hard to say right now, I personally had a lot of fun with it with some minor gripes (mainly the parts between story beats) so it was a solid 8/10 personally but top 5? I'm not sure

Right now its:

1. FF7
  2. FF7:R
  3. FFX
  4. FFXIV
  5. FFXIII
Now keep in mind I've not played I-VI yet (they're on my list/steam deck ready) or 11 either

peish

ff6
ff12
ff16
ff7
ff5/ff9/ffx

yes i think it is. i just rewatch YouTube all the cutscenes, the story is pretty good still. only the game loop structure is poor, old school.

i can only hope ff17 will design it more around like when you are in ash, bigger overworld to explore

Last edited:

peish

Regardless of FF16's placement I think we can all agree Ultima is definitely in top 5 for main FF villian. Dude was great.

i love Ultima, not tragic villian guy, pure mad evil guy.

but just a cocky cowardly twat from a higher evolution state

Top Bottom