• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that the dust has settled, is FF16 a top 5 Final Fantasy?

Is Final Fantasy XVI a top five FF?

• Yes

Votes: 100 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 154 60.6%

• Total voters
Even with the lack of deep role-playing systems, FF16 is by far the best FF since 10, and it isn't even close.

Let's face it, although classics like FF6 are remarkable, they lack the overall depth found in the newer entries of the series. While we may cherish our memories of the earlier games, it would be challenging for me to revisit most of them, now. Modern games, not just limited to RPGs, offer a range of quality-of-life improvements that enhance the overall gaming experience.

Madflavor

FFXVI is in the Top Tier Pack when it comes to the protagonist, voice acting, music, and high points. Like every Final Fantasy has high points, but XVI's highs are among the best. But as an overall package, it does one too many things that drags the whole experience down.

I think it's definitely better than FFXIII and FFXV but that's a very low bar.

Neilg

16, 12, 7R & 7 are in the top 5. Having just wrapped up 16 with all side quests done, and starting a ng+ run to plat it, I think it might be number 1. The combat in 7r is better and a lot more engaging, but 16 was a fucking rollercoaster.

my 5th is a tie between 6 and 14. 14 I haven't finished all the content, but it's taken years to get to it so it loses points for burying the story hundreds of hours in.

Last edited:
FFXVI is in the Top Tier Pack when it comes to the protagonist, voice acting, music, and high points. Like every Final Fantasy has high points, but XVI's highs are among the best. But as an overall package, it does one too many things that drags the whole experience down.

I think it's definitely better than FFXIII and FFXV but that's a very low bar.
I agree with everything but the protagonist himself. With other protagonists I felt like I knew their likes and dislikes, their hobbies, etc. There was more to them than just the motivation to fight. They had minigames and side adventures to express these interests too. With Clive I don't really have a good grasp as to what his hobbies and interests are. I know what everyone else's interests and hobbies are in that game, but not Clive. I know he's a loving and kind man with goals(that weren't entirely his own). I know that he really cares for his community and will fight for them. You know, basic protagonist things.

Beyond that? Well...🤷‍♂️ They instead spent all of the sidequests of the game making him go out, gather loot, and fight things. That's already what he did in the first place.

Even Ryu from street fighter, one of the most straightfoward protagonists of all time, is a bit of a foodie and will have some fun doing various activities with Sakura and Ken in his downtime.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m struggling with the idea, if it’s worth my time to slog through the bad parts. I’m finding it harder and harder to sit down and play it.

it's a sequel yet it was titled FFVIIR and not FFVII-2.
Explain this title:
maxresdefault.jpg

Pagusas

Elden Member
Have not finished it yet, but close enough to say a resounding NO. Its in the lower half of the list.

Major issues keeping the game from being "great":

1. Extremely poor plot and gameplay pacing
2. Lack of any true party system/control. A very key FF trait that feels abandoned by this game
3. Too much quality disparity, the game can feel like the prettiest thing ever made one moment, than 5 minutes later feel like a cheaper PS3 title
4. Tonal shift of the game is too much a "WE CAN BE GoT too! Look, curse words! and BLOOD!!!! and SEX!!!" It feels juvenal and forced too often. I don't care about them going down a "mature" route, all FF's can be different, but if you are going to do it, do it classy and appropriately.
5. Lack of world map. The biggest sin of this game is its dreadful "select location" map system. Its disgusting, immersion breaking, continuity breaking and just ugly.

My order:

-------1st Tier Masterpieces-------
1. FFVII - My favorite game ever made, still replay it almost yearly (Vita playthrough of original is still the best modern way to play it)
2. FFVI - If I had played this first instead of VII first it would probably flip spots, but as I've found with alot of us, 6 or 7 is your favorite depending on which you touched first. Regardless, one of video games all time classics, on a short list with FFVII, Chrono Trigger, Zelda Lttp & OoT, Half Life, Civilization 2 and Tie Fighter.
-------2nd Tier Amazing Games-------
3. FFVIIR - This is the direction future FF's should move in, though it has some of the pacing issues of FF16, it still handles its tone, characters and gameplay better. Plus the world, plot, characters and music are just soooo much better.
4. FFIX
5. FFVIII
6. FF Tactics
----------3rd Tier - Great games but flawed--------
7. FFX
8. FFV
9. FFXII
----------4th Tier - If it wasn't named Final Fantasy it would be considered good, but falls short of the FF bar-------
10. FFXV
11. FFXI
----------5th Tier - Just a bad game ------
12. FFXIII
13. FFTactics 2

Thats all the FF's I've played. I need to try FFX-2 at some point, and I'm not into MMO's but I've been told I need to play XIV... i just can't get past the horrible first 2 hours no matter how hard I try.

Last edited:
Probably not. I’m not super in love with it but a lot of them aren’t great and two mainline games are mmo’s so I don’t count em.

I’d for sure put 6-9 higher. X, 13 and 16 would come next in some order.

Last edited:

Sensei

Unfortunately not. As many have already said, it's not a bad game but its flaws undermine the final result.

Madflavor

I agree with everything but the protagonist himself. With other protagonists I felt like I knew their likes and dislikes, their hobbies, etc. There was more to them than just the motivation to fight. They had minigames and side adventures to express these interests too. With Clive I don't really have a good grasp as to what his hobbies and interests are. I know what everyone else's interests and hobbies are in that game, but not Clive. I know he's a loving and kind man with goals(that weren't entirely his own). I know that he really cares for his community and will fight for them. You know, basic protagonist things.

Beyond that? Well...🤷‍♂️ They instead spent all of the sidequests of the game making him go out, gather loot, and fight things. That's already what he did in the first place.

Even Ryu from street fighter, one of the most straightfoward protagonists of all time, is a bit of a foodie and will have some fun doing various activities with Sakura and Ken in his downtime.

I personally don't feel like knowing Clive's hobbies would've elevated his character, especially for his journey. When you consider his childhood, his 13 years of enslavement, and then immediately being thrown into conflict as soon as he was freed, there's really not much in the way of what his hobbies are. Valisthea is a pretty low fantasy setting, there's really not much to do for fun besides drinking, whoring, gambling and reading.

Clive is incredibly selfless and makes a habit of bearing the world and people's burdens on his shoulders. Because that's what he's good at. Clive even talks about it with Jill at one point, that he feels fighting is all he's good for. That's because fighting is what he was told to do all his life. Whether it was due to duty or because he was forced to. Avenging Joshua's death was the only thing keeping him going, another thing he talks to Jill about. There are moments throughout the story that hint that Clive considered suicide, we even see him contemplate that when he's in his 20s. So when he's thrown into the conflict, he goes full tilt into commitment towards it because he's finally found purpose again. I don't find him basic at all, I think he's a well layered and tragic character.

Clive was conditioned in his childhood to follow and fulfill his duty. Clive in his teens and 20s was a slave and forced to kill. He literally doesn't know how to be selfish and enjoy things for himself. So I think your complaints fit his character. I can still see why you wouldn't like that, but I don't see that as a flaw to how his character is written.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I really enjoyed so many of them. I got FF7 for my 14th birthday. It was a BIG DEAL at the time for my older siblings.

But, I have to say that FF 16 has become my overall favorite. It was the first game in the series on the PS5 and the characters and storyline were just a total home run. You could totally tell what the ending was going to be like as you got closer and closer, it was a total gut puncher. But when it actually happens, nothing can prepare you for it even though you know it’s coming. I really like what they did with XVI to deliver some closure to the story.

I thought XV was really good too. The themes of friendship in life and death, etc were really played out well.

However, what do you say? Is XVI amongst the series' greats?
I'm glad you really dug it dude. Very cool.

Hell no I like alot of the games in the series so the ranking when we get to the top 15-10 wouldnt matter "im including spin off games ect" FF16 would rank low it depends if I can separate FF14 expansions as separate games or as a whole package as seperate FF16 would rank as low as FF14 ARR.
Top 10 out of order including spin offs for FF games would be
1.FF7
2.FF6
3.FF8
4.FFX/X-2
5.FF7R
6. FF15 Royal edition
7. FF13
8. FF crisis core
9. FF type 0
10. FF13-2/ Stranger paradise

Last edited:
I personally don't feel like knowing Clive's hobbies would've elevated his character, especially for his journey. When you consider his childhood, his 13 years of enslavement, and then immediately being thrown into conflict as soon as he was freed, there's really not much in the way of what his hobbies are. Valisthea is a pretty low fantasy setting, there's really not much to do for fun besides drinking, whoring, gambling and reading.

Clive is incredibly selfless and makes a habit of bearing the world and people's burdens on his shoulders. Because that's what he's good at. Clive even talks about it with Jill at one point, that he feels fighting is all he's good for. That's because fighting is what he was told to do all his life. Whether it was due to duty or because he was forced to. Avenging Joshua's death was the only thing keeping him going, another thing he talks to Jill about. There are moments throughout the story that hint that Clive considered suicide, we even see him contemplate that when he's in his 20s. So when he's thrown into the conflict, he goes full tilt into commitment towards it because he's finally found purpose again. I don't find him basic at all, I think he's a well layered and tragic character.

Clive was conditioned in his childhood to follow and fulfill his duty. Clive in his teens and 20s was a slave and forced to kill. He literally doesn't know how to be selfish and enjoy things for himself. So I think your complaints fit his character. I can still see why you wouldn't like that, but I don't see that as a flaw to how his character is written.
That's all fine and well, but I'm talking about post-

Him finding out Joshua was alive and well and they were at the base together. There's even a second moment pre-Joshua/post-Kupka where everyone had a moment of rest due to avenging Cid and having the base feel safe.
During those moments of downtime, instead of having a moment where we can get to know Clive better(because his first motivation was handled) and see him spend time with Jill, we instead get to know everyone else at the base better even moreso than we did before, which is fine, but it never felt like Clive got his relaxing moment under the sun because we were too busy running errands for others. That errand time could have been used as time to build on his own health and wellbeing and relationship with Jill. Instead...

Clive and Jill spend 5 years together (1825 days mind you) during a timeskip and we don't get a single lick of development between the two from this other than them both looking older.
I'm sorry, I enjoy the great parts of FF 16 but I can't handwave this away. It's writing that could have used improvement and moments in the game that could have used more variety. Yes, there will be lore-based ways to try and justify these issues, but that doesn't make it good writing.

Hestar69

Have not finished it yet, but close enough to say a resounding NO. Its in the lower half of the list.

Major issues keeping the game from being "great":

1. Extremely poor plot and gameplay pacing
2. Lack of any true party system/control. A very key FF trait that feels abandoned by this game
3. Too much quality disparity, the game can feel like the prettiest thing ever made one moment, than 5 minutes later feel like a cheaper PS3 title
4. Tonal shift of the game is too much a "WE CAN BE GoT too! Look, curse words! and BLOOD!!!! and SEX!!!" It feels juvenal and forced too often. I don't care about them going down a "mature" route, all FF's can be different, but if you are going to do it, do it classy and appropriately.
5. Lack of world map. The biggest sin of this game is its dreadful "select location" map system. Its disgusting, immersion breaking, continuity breaking and just ugly.

My order:

-------1st Tier Masterpieces-------
1. FFVII - My favorite game ever made, still replay it almost yearly (Vita playthrough of original is still the best modern way to play it)
2. FFVI
-------2nd Tier Amazing Games-------
3. FFVIIR - This is the direction future FF's should move in, though it has some of the pacing issues of FF16, it still handles its tone, characters and gameplay better. Plus the world, plot, characters and music are just soooo much better.
4. FFIX
5. FFVIII
6. FF Tactics
----------3rd Tier - Great games but flawed--------
7. FFX
8. FFV
9. FFXII
----------4th Tier - If it wasn't named Final Fantasy it would be considered good, but falls short of the FF bar-------
10. FFXV
11. FFXI
----------5th Tier - Just a bad game ------
12. FFXIII
13. FFTactics 2

Thats all the FF's I've played.
pretty much everything he said...game is BORING most of the time and the side quests...holy shit are they BAD so far (40% in )

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Haven't played it yet since I wait for the PC release. But my current top 5 are

Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age (the speedup option is essential, imho).
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy II
You have not played it.
The topic is for those who played it to rate it... boy. what you doin boi ?!

I onlyplayed 7 remake, XV and XVI.
I rate:

1. 7 remake
2. XV
3. XVI

diffusionx

Gold Member
I loaded up the game, and after that stellar first few hours, it just became obvious to me that this is not the game I want to play. I don't think I could give a fair assessment of it, except to say that to me, it's just not a Final Fantasy.

Hudo

You have not played it.
The topic is for those who played it to rate it... boy. what you doin boi ?!

I onlyplayed 7 remake, XV and XVI.
I rate:

1. 7 remake
2. XV
3. XVI
So while you have played it, you can't even make a top 5. We're both not fulfilling the "thread criteria", it seems. Now what?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So while you have played it, you can't even make a top 5. We're both not fulfilling the "thread criteria", it seems. Now what?
I see nowhere in the topic where you need to play FFXVI to state your top 5 FF's.

FFXVI is probably in the top 5 worst FF's though. Like it had potential but all the flaws it has holds it back.

The classics still reign supreme.
FFIX
FFXI
FFV
FFVII
FFVIII

Honorable mention: FFX-2

At least XVI is better then Spirits Within though.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So what, should I delete my post and leave the thread?
Think about what you've done and serve the fitting punishment yourself.
/s
lol I am just an asshole pointing out the obvious, what do you want from me :p

Last edited:

Hudo

Think about what you've done and serve the fitting punishment yourself.
/s
lol I am just an asshole pointing out the obvious, what do you want from me :p
I dunno, man. I was trying to see how invested you were in me leaving so I could con you into paying me to do it.

Even with the lack of deep role-playing systems, FF16 is by far the best FF since 10, and it isn't even close.

Let's face it, although classics like FF6 are remarkable, they lack the overall depth found in the newer entries of the series. While we may cherish our memories of the earlier games, it would be challenging for me to revisit most of them, now. Modern games, not just limited to RPGs, offer a range of quality-of-life improvements that enhance the overall gaming experience.
That’s why the older games get remastered with QoL improvements. Duh

Boneless

Its a mixed bag, the combat can be great and spectacular in boss fights, but in normal grunt fights even FFXV was better, the enemies are just so dumb and there is zero strategy outside of boss fights.

The CGI and story are great, when the pacing is there, but whos idea is it to put fetch quests in a lineair game? In an open world you can at least explore while fetching, here its a pure waste of time. Too many fillers and towns and side characters that are dull and uncharacteristic.

Clive is great though, the eikons are as well, and some of the vistas are lovely.

But Mid, screw you and your quests.

Last edited:
Its a mixed bag, the combat can be great and spectacular in boss fights, but in normal grunt fights even FFXV was better, the enemies are just so dumb and there is zero strategy outside of boss fights.

The CGI and story are great, when the pacing is there, but whos idea is it to put fetch quests in a lineair game? In an open world you can at least explore while fetching, here its a pure waste of time. Too many fillers and towns and side characters that are dull and uncharacteristic.

Clive is great though, the eikons are as well, and some of the vistas are lovely.

But Mid, screw you and your quests.
What CGI?

Only times that there seems to be CGI mixed into a scene is:

1. Opening with Titan and Shiva. Environment + explosions are clearly CGI while models are in-engine.
2. Any time a Crystal is disappearing; the disappearance effect is CGI but that’s it.
3. Odin VS. Bahamut. Parts of the background are very obviously CGI, along with the explosions, but models are in-engine.
4. Crystalline Dominion Crystal shattering effect is CGI, plus the clouds that Ultima summons
5. The water during the Clive ending beach scene, plus when Odin uses Zantetsuken on the ocean and the boat falls
6. Origin being formed, then Origin collapsing

But these are all 1-20 second-long snippets and never include CGI character models.

Please note that I don’t think this is a good thing lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom