• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obi-Wan Kenobi |OT| Hello there…

Xenon

After The Book of Boba Fett spent almost three full episodes (out of seven!) dealing with everyone other than Boba Fett, I don't think the show's title means much anymore. At least not when it comes to Disney's Star Wars output.

That show was done by different writers and directors for each episode. This is one long movie broken into six parts with the same director and writer for each.

This kind of sums up the whole problem with Disney Star Wars. The complete lack of a singular vision, consistency and Focus. Even though I've enjoyed a few things from it like the Mandalorian and Rogue One, If someone told me that they were gonna erase all Disney Star Wars output I would just shrug my shoulders. The IP suffers from a major case of ADD. The Mandalorian started off trying to find out his history and connect with his roots. "OOOOH, LOOK BABY YODA!"

ManaByte

This kind of sums up the whole problem with Disney Star Wars. The complete lack of a singular vision, consistency and Focus. Even though I've enjoyed a few things from it like the Mandalorian and Rogue One, If someone told me that they were gonna erase all Disney Star Wars output I would just shrug my shoulders. The IP suffers from a major case of ADD. The Mandalorian started off trying to find out his history and connect with his roots. "OOOOH, LOOK BABY YODA!"
It’s not a Disney problem it’s. Lucasfilm problem as that’s how George ran it since 1977 when they made up the OT as they went along.

Doom85

It’s not a Disney problem it’s. Lucasfilm problem as that’s how George ran it since 1977 when they made up the OT as they went along.

Be Quiet Cut It Out GIF

Shhhh, don’t tell Star Wars fans that Lucas actually didn’t plan out the OT. It’s their comfort pillow of a lie that they are somehow able to maintain despite the abundant amount of behind the scenes details contradicting it and the fact that Lucas himself admitted in 2010 they made the OT up as they went along.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I dunno. Having a school shooting as their opening scene is bad enough, but Obi-Wan, the guy who faced down ENTIRE ARMIES, then to be foiled by some scrub punks or anyone less than prime Vader is just ridiculous.

And yeah, that third sister actress is why casting should never be relegated to folks pushing a checklist. No way was she the best to audition.

They really need to hand over star wars to the guys writing the Galaxy's Edge books. They are more star wars than anything since the OT.

RAÏSanÏa

As a kindergartner when ANH was released(the first time) Obi-Wan having his own show is wild.

Thinking about it now I don't believe the story for Obi-Wan would be all that confusing to kids back in that day if all they had to go on was ANH. It hasn't strayed so much as to be unrecognizable.

Be Quiet Cut It Out GIF

Shhhh, don’t tell Star Wars fans that Lucas actually didn’t plan out the OT. It’s their comfort pillow of a lie that they are somehow able to maintain despite the abundant amount of behind the scenes details contradicting it and the fact that Lucas himself admitted in 2010 they made the OT up as they went along.
The OT still felt like the same universe to me. Unlike the new movies.

Doom85

That’s nice, but it has nothing to do with the mantra some Star Wars fans have being all, “Lucas planned his story out, and Disney didn’t”. Like, they’re calling the man they admire (well, as long as they try not to think about the Special Editions…and the Holiday Special…and some elements of the prequels) a downright liar given he admitted to making it up (which was obvious anyway if one reads up on the behind the scenes stuff). It’s either an example of hilarious stupidity or just choosing to boldly proclaim a “fact” that they did zero research on.

Mind you, there’s nothing wrong with winging a story necessarily. Stephen King does it with all his books for better or worse. Rather, it’s just more proof that some (emphasis on “some”, so don’t get triggered if this doesn’t apply to you) of the Disney Star Wars haters can’t be content with the idea that others might enjoy the new movies and such, and feel the need to “prove” their inferiority, and then proceed to just spout random untrue bullshit like this.

Hell, there was one poster a year or two back so desperate to “prove” the new trilogy was bad they claimed an “educated opinion” on a film was objective and not subjective. Like, they were trying to rewrite the definition of a word, it was just pathetic to witness.

Xenon

You know, if just took your tongue out of Disney's ass for a moment you might be able to appreciate the difference of a writer who has a created a universe in his head where you can feel the characters lived there for some time making organic changes to the story during the film making process as apposed to the shit show that was the sequels. Sure maybe he didn't map the whole trilogy is his head, but fans felt the connection with them throughout all three films. Compare that to JarJarAbrims Creating a whole bunch of characters and plot lines for the 1st movie and handing it off to it off to next guy whose main goal was to subvert the fan's expectations by abandoning every plotpoint fron the 1st movie. Not only did the story not flow from one movie to the other but the characters themselves were pretty much unrecognizable. Well except the flat Rey who was carefully monitored by a diversity council to make sure that nothing would be offensive about her or done to her.

It's like you think one flippant remark made by George Lucas exonerates the complete disaster that is the Disney Star Wars sequels.

Last edited:
That’s nice, but it has nothing to do with the mantra some Star Wars fans have being all, “Lucas planned his story out, and Disney didn’t”. Like, they’re calling the man they admire (well, as long as they try not to think about the Special Editions…and the Holiday Special…and some elements of the prequels) a downright liar given he admitted to making it up (which was obvious anyway if one reads up on the behind the scenes stuff). It’s either an example of hilarious stupidity or just choosing to boldly proclaim a “fact” that they did zero research on.

Mind you, there’s nothing wrong with winging a story necessarily. Stephen King does it with all his books for better or worse. Rather, it’s just more proof that some (emphasis on “some”, so don’t get triggered if this doesn’t apply to you) of the Disney Star Wars haters can’t be content with the idea that others might enjoy the new movies and such, and feel the need to “prove” their inferiority, and then proceed to just spout random untrue bullshit like this.

Hell, there was one poster a year or two back so desperate to “prove” the new trilogy was bad they claimed an “educated opinion” on a film was objective and not subjective. Like, they were trying to rewrite the definition of a word, it was just pathetic to witness.
But the original post said “singular vision”. You can still make it up along while having a singular vision. The Lord of Rings was made up as it was being written and it still feels like one book with the vision of one person.

Xenon

But the original post said “singular vision”. You can still make it up along while having a singular vision. The Lord of Rings was made up as it was being written and it still feels like one book with the vision of one person.

Yep. Every story is made up as it goes along.

ManaByte

You know, if just took your tongue out of Disney's ass for a moment you might be able to appreciate the difference of a writer who has a created a universe in his head where you can feel the characters lived there for some time making organic changes to the story during the film making process as apposed to the shit show that was the sequels. Sure maybe he didn't map the whole trilogy is his head, but fans felt the connection with them throughout all three films. Compare that to JarJarAbrims Creating a whole bunch of characters and plot lines for the 1st movie and handing it off to it off to next guy whose main goal was to subvert the fan's expectations by abandoning every plotpoint fron the 1st movie. Not only did the story not flow from one movie to the other but the characters themselves were pretty much unrecognizable. Well except the flat Rey who was carefully monitored by a diversity council to make sure that nothing would be offensive about her or done to her.

It's like you think one flippant remark made by George Lucas exonerates the complete disaster that is the Disney Star Wars sequels.
No I’ve actually read these things called “books” instead of insulting people like a 12 year old troll.
F3McOTL.jpg

coI6Ibp.jpg

frPhJFd.jpg

Xenon

No I’ve actually read these things called “books” instead of insulting people like a 12 year old troll.
F3McOTL.jpg

coI6Ibp.jpg

frPhJFd.jpg

Sorry , but if you read all those books I just can't see how you could make the statement you did. Yes Lucas was helped and had stupid ideas, but there is no doubt that without him there the original trilogy wouldn't exist.

You can't say that with Disney Star Wars. They would just slot someone in.

Also I can't apologies about a good ass kissing joke. Mainly because Im guy and that shit is funny.

nush

Yes Lucas was helped and had stupid ideas, but there is no doubt that without him there the original trilogy wouldn't exist.

Saved in the edit because Star Wars 77 as filmed was fucking shit. The "help" were the ones that made the trilogy possible, without them it would have just been a THX 1138 forgettable sci-fi movie.

K' Dash

Be Quiet Cut It Out GIF

What? Everyone knows A new hope was a one and done deal and it shows, anyone not seeing this is purposely fooling themselves, lol.

Ironbunny

This was Phantom Menace "good" but not Boba Fett bad. Its a kid show for the people who liked Ewoks and EP 1-3. The acting was all over the place with dialogue and directing at the level of school play. Visual quality is great at times but scenes seem hampered by the virtual sets they adopted when making the Mandolorian. Everything seems so small. Propably the reasons why every fast paced action scene is filmed so slowly as the sets are constricting. Kid acting was horrendous with adults not faring any better. If you liked Gregor earlier as Obi Wan you will like him here too. Hes the same wooden plank.

The story is written by an group of untalented writers and executed at the levels what one comes to expect from disney force is female gang. The plot holes and idiocy at show would make swiss cheese blush. I wasnt expecting much...and this aint much.

Inspector Q

So besides the shit acting by the Reva actress and the laughably bad Leia chase scenes....I do have one other major issue: What the heck is up with the musical score? Do they not have the rights to use classic SW tunes? There were quite a few scenes that fell a bit flat due to the lack of classic SW music.

sol_bad

And yeah, that third sister actress is why casting should never be relegated to folks pushing a checklist. No way was she the best to audition.

She was good in The Queen's Gambit and fine with what she had to work with in Ambulance. She has talent and was most likely chosen for that talent. It's just for some reason she isn't working in this role. She may have tested really well and the problem is Deborah Chiw not being able to direct her well.
Who knows.

I'm just saying she has talent but I hate her in this role. Blaming a "checklist" is bullshit.

But that's just it, Lucas didn't create a universe. He had a basic story idea set in space. Then he had artists and modellers design everything, he didn't design anything, he just chose what he liked based on the artists concepts.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I can't believe I'm about to say this but I actually don't remember anything that happened in the second episode. A lot of that can be blamed on pain medication I was on at the time but I actually have to rewatch the second episode tomorrow because I literally forgot almost the entire thing.

The first episode was okay.

I do know one thing that happens in the second episode that made my head kind of cringe and that was Reva just killing off the Grand Inquisitor as quickly as she did as easily as she did.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I enjoyed it but the 3rd sister is just horrible. The grand inquisitor was at least a good actor and believable as bad dude despite looking stupid in the trailer
I think the problem as well of casting a normal non alien black lady is she's almost sure to turn into a good guy and join Obi wan or become a tragic hero in death and thus a good guy at the end.

Once this ends they're going to want you rooting for her.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They made a better job then… yes even counting the prequel trilogy than they did in the sequel trilogy 🤷‍♂️. The final output does not scream it, there is an overarching progression and intent that feels like a guiding hand throughout. If it is not or it is, it is orthogonal…

Star-Lord

Just watched the first two episodes.

- I, like many others, cannot stand The Third Sister. The character herself is not the issue, but the actress is terrible and doesn't do her justice.
- I don't mind Little Leia, to be honest, brings a little lightheartedness to the show.
- Ewan McGregor steals the show as Obi-Wan, naturally. He was born for this role.
- That tease at the end of episode two was fantastic, but I hope they don't use Vader as a crutch.
- The cinematography is on point. All the locations used look amazing.

HoodWinked

Was looking forward to this show and after watching the first two episodes, all I can say is. what a waste

the budget, the sets, Ewan McGregor, everything is teed up for success

but it all just ends up so incompetently executed. they're really trying to force the Reva character but its just so uninteresting and annoying. all the kid Leia scenes are just painful to watch.

the direction is so clunky, things like having Reva do all this parkour but never even coming remotely close to Obi-wan and Leia. In hindsight the reason this and the how shitty that scene concludes may have been because Ewan McGregor and Moses Ingram may have never been on set together and they had to stitch this in post.

Ulysses 31

I dunno. Having a school shooting as their opening scene is bad enough, but Obi-Wan, the guy who faced down ENTIRE ARMIES, then to be foiled by some scrub punks or anyone less than prime Vader is just ridiculous.

They really need to hand over star wars to the guys writing the Galaxy's Edge books. They are more star wars than anything since the OT.
Yeah, maybe they're breaking down this Obi-Wan only to build him back up by the end. The Obi-Wan that Tusken Raiders knew not to mess with in the OT.

Last edited:

DKehoe

He described himself as not the person Bail knew years ago. His confidence in himself is clearly shaken as a result of what happened with Anakin and presumably the total failure of the Jedi Order (an organisation he had dedicated his life to) to prevent the rise of Palpatine. Presumably if he arc of the show is going to be him rediscovering that belief in himself, particularly since that last episode ends with him being confronted with his biggest failure.

FunkMiller

Watched episode one, but not sure I'll be watching the rest, as I'm finding it difficult to muster up any real interest in what's going to happen. Nobody is going to die. Hell, nobody is going to go through anything that in any way changes them as people - because we already know exactly how they all turn out.

I'm all for prequels, if they serve a purpose of fleshing out characters whose backstories we do not know, but is there honestly anything else to be said about Ben, Luke, Leia, Vader etc. that we don't know already?

No. The answer is no.

I guess some folks may enjoy this just for the spectacle, the nostalgia bait, and the action... but as far as story goes, this is as redundant as it comes. Yawn. Wake me up when Mando comes back. At least that's largely about fresh characters, and the storyline isn't beholden to the fucking Skywalker saga, which has been bled completely dry.

Last edited:

Melon Husk

I guess some folks may enjoy this just for the spectacle, the nostalgia bait, and the action... but as far as story goes, this is as redundant as it comes. Yawn. Wake me up when Mando comes back. At least that's largely about fresh characters, and the storyline isn't beholden to the fucking Skywalker saga, which has been bled completely dry.
Nostalgia bait, that's the word. Pulling 5 minutes of footage out of the prequel trilogy was incredibly lazy. That's what they used to do in typical direct-to-dvd sequels.

Kenobi is the direct-to-home-video-sequel equivalent for streaming era.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Watched episode one, but not sure I'll be watching the rest, as I'm finding it difficult to muster up any real interest in what's going to happen. Nobody is going to die. Hell, nobody is going to go through anything that in any way changes them as people - because we already know exactly how they all turn out.

I'm all for prequels, if they serve a purpose of fleshing out characters whose backstories we do not know, but is there honestly anything else to be said about Ben, Luke, Leia, Vader etc. that we don't know already?

No. The answer is no.

That's usually the case with prequels. And I'm not confident anyone at Disney has the chops or the freedom to really come up with a story that will recontextualize the OT in any meaningful way. More likely what they come up with will detract from it.

Last edited:

Melon Husk

The kidnappers and Reva act like they are from a different show. Too hammy
I'm half expecting this show to turn into a Silicon Valley episode where Dinesh accidentally wandered into a Star Wars film set and he's trying to find the exit from the holodeck. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

edit: Re: the empty sets. This show is clearly framed for 16:9 or 1.85:1 but presented in 2.39:1. It simply looks better after cropping/zooming out the emptiness on the sides.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just halfway through the first episode. Not really impressed. The whole scene where the inquisitors are asking for Jedi in the market was cringy to no end. Horrible writing and acting. Can‘t believe this got a pass.

Salz01

I started watching the show, then got to little Leia, and then for the first time watching a Star Wars show…. I started scrubbing forward. It’s boring. I guess I’ll wait till they release everything and just watch the Vader scenes.

Vyse

Gold Member
Low points: 3rd sister, Leia chase, Grand Inquisitor's fake-out death, some of the Volume compositing and cinematography (though it feels like this could've been a choice to aesthetically connect with the prequels).

Everything else I'm pretty pleased with. Cautiously optimistic about what's next.
This nailed it for me. I am usually not a fan of kid actors, but the kid playing Leia is actually pretty good. Wasn’t expecting the story to go this way. Really enjoying so far. Special effects are also incredible.

jason10mm

Gold Member
She was good in The Queen's Gambit and fine with what she had to work with in Ambulance. She has talent and was most likely chosen for that talent. It's just for some reason she isn't working in this role. She may have tested really well and the problem is Deborah Chiw not being able to direct her well.
Who knows.

I'm just saying she has talent but I hate her in this role. Blaming a "checklist" is bullshit.

Meh, she was just as forgettable in those roles as well. The third sister part was destined to go to a woman of color because they "must" balance the whiteness of the rest of the main cast forced on them by Lore. You know that wasn't a casting call open to all ethnicities and genders. They had a specific "look" in mind and it limited the pool of talent. They should have recast after the first day of dalies showed she just wasn't working out. I bet optics played a role there as well.

While I applaud them for allowing a black woman to be a space nazi in the first place, they shoulda gone with Alexis Louder.

Maybe she dies in ep3 to a vader forcechoke though, would be fitting as it would represent the invisible hand of internet rage :p

jason10mm

Gold Member
He described himself as not the person Bail knew years ago. His confidence in himself is clearly shaken as a result of what happened with Anakin and presumably the total failure of the Jedi Order (an organisation he had dedicated his life to) to prevent the rise of Palpatine. Presumably if he arc of the show is going to be him rediscovering that belief in himself, particularly since that last episode ends with him being confronted with his biggest failure.
This is a TERRIBLE arc for obi Wan. We already know he ends up a random hermit on tattoine, so why start him off as a near vagrant, raise him back up to Jedi greatness, only to have him go back to seclusion?

Far better, IMHO, for him to have relationships and purpose in the beginning but surrender it all to watch over luke. Seems hard to believe Vader doesn't know about Luke at least, his only surviving family suddenly gets a kid EXACTLY when padme gives birth?

So obi Wan skulking around tattoine, constantly diverting inquiries into Luke, that I could sorta buy.

DKehoe

This is a TERRIBLE arc for obi Wan. We already know he ends up a random hermit on tattoine, so why start him off as a near vagrant, raise him back up to Jedi greatness, only to have him go back to seclusion?

Far better, IMHO, for him to have relationships and purpose in the beginning but surrender it all to watch over luke. Seems hard to believe Vader doesn't know about Luke at least, his only surviving family suddenly gets a kid EXACTLY when padme gives birth?

So obi Wan skulking around tattoine, constantly diverting inquiries into Luke, that I could sorta buy.
I don't think it's the case that him being a hermit at the start of New Hope means he is in the same mental place that he's at at the start of this though. With the show he seems to be distancing himself from his past as much as possible because he's so troubled by it and is using looking out for Luke as an excuse for that. Whereas at the start of A New Hope he seems much more at peace with himself.

RAÏSanÏa

Agree with the sequel movies. While there are old parts and new characters I like(I hope Holdo shows up somewhere) these D+ shows have been way better at connecting with the OT, Prequel and the cartoons. The moment with Ahsoka talking to Luke about Anakin felt natural for me. Thier shared history with him provided an easy kinship between them that worked in the scene without having to be explicitly developed. And I only know her character from Mandalorian and some background picked up from conversations. Maybe that's a real credit to the actress as well as the writers, director and others.

Trunx81

Im taking the role of devils advocate and will try to contextualize the Leia chase scene(s):
Especially the wood chase reminded me of the Sequel trilogy with Rey, but also Leia and Luke running through the forest for Jedi training. Maybe this should hint that this girl is more special than she seems, as she’s the daughter of Anakin and Padme. Like Luke suddenly is this great fighter pilot without any training.

Remember the kids movies you saw as a child: Goonies would be rated far worse in todays critics but is loved in retrospect. Kid chase scenes never made any sense. And Star Wars is, even if you don’t like it, a kids show/universe.

Kenpachii

Pretty shit show, first episode was meh. Second episode was also meh.

The kid chasing was laughable, how do you not catch her in 2 seconds. Actors also are of B quality in the show, we all know how this is going to end because we all saw the movies so u know the kid will survive and obi-wan will get old and stick on that planet forever.

Not sure if i still care about the next one.

Should have called it star wars babysitter edition.

Last edited:

DKehoe

One of the things that concerns me is it seems like they are building up an appearance by Qui-Gon. And while I get there would be an emotional catharsis in a reunion between the two it feels like another example of Disney franchise potentially using "check it out, it's this guy!" as a climax rather than something earned through the story itself.

ManaByte

One of the things that concerns me is it seems like they are building up an appearance by Qui-Gon. And while I get there would be an emotional catharsis in a reunion between the two it feels like another example of Disney franchise potentially using "check it out, it's this guy!" as a climax rather than something earned through the story itself.

Were you not paying attention?

At the end of ROTS Yoda told Obi-Wan he'd teach him how to talk to Qui-Gon.

In the first episode, 10 years later, Obi-Wan still can't hear him.

It's earned in the story:
Obi-Wan can't commune with Qui-Gon because he's given up, it's not until hope is restored in Obi-Wan that he can then hear and then see Qui-Gon.

Top Bottom