• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obi-Wan Kenobi |OT| Hello there…

Romulus

Were you not paying attention?

At the end of ROTS Yoda told Obi-Wan he'd teach him how to talk to Qui-Gon.

In the first episode, 10 years later, Obi-Wan still can't hear him.

It's earned in the story:
Obi-Wan can't commune with Qui-Gon because he's given up, it's not until hope is restored in Obi-Wan that he can then hear and then see Qui-Gon.

Yeah he's barely a force user at this point. He struggled to save little Leia so his connection to the force seems diminished almost completely.

RAÏSanÏa

Why is social media so angry that Leia is precocious? So was her mother and father. This is nothing new for Star Wars.
A few possible answers to that based on the source of their anger. Her character is a year older than Anakin in Episode I.

I think I would have liked her chase scene to have been developed more with earlier scenes to show some specific familiarity with the woods that she could have used to her advantage. A scene of her playing being chased by her guards and maybe they'd been actually training her under guidance during that play.

DKehoe

Were you not paying attention?

At the end of ROTS Yoda told Obi-Wan he'd teach him how to talk to Qui-Gon.

In the first episode, 10 years later, Obi-Wan still can't hear him.

It's earned in the story:
Obi-Wan can't commune with Qui-Gon because he's given up, it's not until hope is restored in Obi-Wan that he can then hear and then see Qui-Gon.
I'm not saying it's impossible within the fiction. I get that it is and that Qui-Gon was even the first Jedi to discover that ability, which then enabled Obi-Wan and Yoda to do the same. What I mean is the show shouldn't just be building to "check it out guys, Liam Neeson!"

As I said I can get how it can provide emotional catharsis. So it's something they can build properly, particularly with Obi-Want clearly having a troubled relationship with his past. But Disney should be careful they don't become reliant on just building stories around meta aspects like cameos.

Be Quiet Cut It Out GIF

Shhhh, don’t tell Star Wars fans that Lucas actually didn’t plan out the OT. It’s their comfort pillow of a lie that they are somehow able to maintain despite the abundant amount of behind the scenes details contradicting it and the fact that Lucas himself admitted in 2010 they made the OT up as they went along.
But also back then nobody was milking franchises with 10 movies. Trilogy is best they got. Which is exactly why the second trilogy was a prequel and then Disney came in and literally shit on the whole thing with nicer CGI.

Doom85

But also back then nobody was milking franchises with 10 movies. Trilogy is best they got. Which is exactly why the second trilogy was a prequel and then Disney came in and literally shit on the whole thing with nicer CGI.

Oookay, but it’s really got nothing to do with fans claiming Lucas did one thing when the man himself said another thing. Like, I get it you all, you hate the new movies, but that’s not relevant to what I was saying.

Also, Star Trek fans hearing “11 films and a few shows = milking” and being all:

50 cent laughing GIF

Like, I never saw additional films as “milking” as opposed to “it’s about damn time”. A massive galaxy is there so why the hell would I want that limited to two trilogies. Lucas himself wanted to keep going too, but the bitch known as life and reality got in his way. But hey, six films still an accomplishment, warts and all, so no disrespect to him. But no reason the franchise has to die with him (not as in literal death obviously). Hell, the original EU went on just fine without him (as he mainly just dropped a few guidelines and rules they had to follow).

Ulysses 31

Remember the kids movies you saw as a child: Goonies would be rated far worse in todays critics but is loved in retrospect. Kid chase scenes never made any sense. And Star Wars is, even if you don’t like it, a kids show/universe.
Surely you'll agree the way the little Leia and Bobba Fett scooters chase scenes are shot and directed aren't doing their respective shows any favors. :lollipop_winking:

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The first episode was great - I haven't been that entertained by the first episode of a new Disney show since The Mandalorian. My only gripes

- The actress playing the inquisitor: she is a bad actress IMO. She can't even emote convincingly. She dragged down every scene she was in. She's so bad she makes me think I could fly out to L.A. and make a career out of acting

- Why the hell does Luke have very dark hair? Like, how did the casting dept fuck that up?

My favorite surprise: Leia

Coolest bit as a lifelong Star Wars fan: Uncle Owen finally getting proper lines and screen time
Luke’s hair lightens over time in the Tattooine suns is what I’m going with.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Like Luke suddenly is this great fighter pilot without any training.
But Luke WAS a pilot. He wanted to go to the academy, he mentions he can fly when he first met Han, that whole shooting wamprat bit was kids in speeders and small ships racing through canyons.

Luke is the very antithesis of a Mary Sue. He struggles for his success, suffers consequences, and receives extensive mentoring and training throughout the OT.

Ulysses 31

But Luke WAS a pilot. He wanted to go to the academy, he mentions he can fly when he first met Han, that whole shooting wamprat bit was kids in speeders and small ships racing through canyons.

Luke is the very antithesis of a Mary Sue. He struggles for his success, suffers consequences, and receives extensive mentoring and training throughout the OT.
And he would've died 100% if it wasn't for his co-pilots and Han showing up.

Trunx81

Im not saying that Luke is a Mary Sue, though flying through canyons and shooting rats is nothing compared to the power of a fully trained Tie fighter pilot. Space Battle is something completely different than terrain battle.

But yes: The cinematography of Leias chase was absolutely dogshit

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

I mean, to be fair, it's kind of the equivalent to saying "Yeah, I could fight a samurai, I've used a knife in the kitchen before!"

But the fact that there was actually something in the script to at least attempt to have it make narrative sense is above and beyond Disney's Rey "I've been a scavenger on a desert planet my entire brief life, but let me pilot this old ship that I've never seen before through a fucking Star Destroyer while being chased by trained military pilots," "Skywalker,".

So I've seen the first two episodes and..well....it's not that good. It also just helps to remind me how much better the Prequel Trilogy actually was compared to what Disney's given so far.

>Hallmark Dialogue

I can't really "explain" this one but it's just something I feel in Disney's stuff between Star Wars and many of the modern MCU shows & films. The way they're written, directed, filmed...it just feels like one hour-long or two hour-long Hallmark commercial. Everything feels so sanitized and by-the-numbers.

>Obi-Wan

They really dumbed this dude down. He's basically what Luke was in The Last Jedi but slightly less belittled. His character lacks agency, which is something you NEED the protagonist of the story to have. Then again, Obi-Wan's not really the protagonist, is he?

Also how did Obi-Wan not know that Anakin was still alive during the ten years it's been between the end of Revenge of the Sith and this show? Somehow he doesn't learn about Anakin whatsoever in that entire 10-year time period? That's really hard to believe.

>Reva

Look I have nothing against the actress, but her character so far is very unlikable. Not that I need villains to be likeable; however she's also clearly the protagonist (at least so far) since it's her character driving the agency for the plot.

My real issue is multi-faceted. One, they basically have written her as the stereotypical "angry black woman" trope; her character is ALWAYS angry and acting tough, to the point you wonder if she's just severely constipated. They could've made her look tough and be threatening without having writing this poor where she's basically a caricature, but that'd of required some nuance with the writing.

Also yeah, the writing (at least for her character) is pretty bad and the actress herself isn't skilled enough (potentially) to elevate the bad writing and directing. I think the actual directing for her character is also at fault.

>Leila

I actually thought she was one of the few good parts of these episodes. For a kid actress they're pretty good, though they did write Leila to be kind of annoying. Then again, kids in general can be kind of annoying at times, so it's accurate.

Yeah that's about all I have to say. So far it's mediocre at best, hopefully it gets better.

dr_octagon

Banned
Ewan and Hayden are the main reasons why I will watch. The guy who plays Owen is also a decent actor, pre-over cooked turkey era might be interesting.

They should have made a single 2-3hr good film but tv series makes dollah dollah bill.

pay me principal skinner GIF

Ulysses 31

Ewan and Hayden are the main reasons why I will watch. The guy who plays Owen is also a decent actor, pre-over cooked turkey era might be interesting.

They should have made a single 2-3hr good film but tv series makes dollah dollah bill.

pay me principal skinner GIF
They need to stretch content over multiple weeks(preferably over more than a month to encourage resubbing.).

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
My take on the Leia chase scene: I ignored the oddness of it. They were trying to convincingly create a scenario in which grown men were chasing a little girl who's legs are about as long as my forearms. It was going to demand the viewer suspend their disbelief some. No big deal.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Also how did Obi-Wan not know that Anakin was still alive during the ten years it's been between the end of Revenge of the Sith and this show? Somehow he doesn't learn about Anakin whatsoever in that entire 10-year time period? That's really hard to believe.

I can totally buy that vaders origin as one of the most celebrated Jedi in recent memory is an incredibly closely held secret.

Which is why it is so baffling that a third tier sithette A. Knows this and B. Drops it so casually.

DKehoe

I can totally buy that vaders origin as one of the most celebrated Jedi in recent memory is an incredibly closely held secret.

Which is why it is so baffling that a third tier sithette A. Knows this and B. Drops it so casually.
I wondered about this but figure Inquisitors have access to records that most people don't.

Ulysses 31

Apparently there's a Disney era comic where Vader kills people who know he's Anakin and several SW channels like Star Wars Theory have said it too.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
If they go the Halo route and have Vader without his helmet most of the time just to show off Hayden Christensen I'm gonna have an aneurysm.

But they can't do that because he needs the helmet to breathe right? RIGHT?

ManaByte

Gold Member
If they go the Halo route and have Vader without his helmet most of the time just to show off Hayden Christensen I'm gonna have an aneurysm.

But they can't do that because he needs the helmet to breathe right? RIGHT?

The closest to that we'll probably get is this from Rebels but in live action:
R.ca6168a4ffab2d815c463167819c492b

As for showing Hayden's face:
There's apparently a flashback coming up that's set right before ROTS with Anakin and Obi-Wan sparring in the Jedi Temple.

Mossybrew

This kind of sums up the whole problem with Disney Star Wars. The complete lack of a singular vision, consistency and Focus. Even though I've enjoyed a few things from it like the Mandalorian and Rogue One, If someone told me that they were gonna erase all Disney Star Wars output I would just shrug my shoulders. The IP suffers from a major case of ADD. The Mandalorian started off trying to find out his history and connect with his roots. "OOOOH, LOOK BABY YODA!"
Well put. It's passable entertainment, there are definitely some cool moments, but it's so scattershot.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Ill watch this whole thing just because having Ewan and Hayden back in these roles is special... but it really pissed me off that
they offed the Grand Inquisitor like that in favor of that trashbag Reva. Her character sucks and the actress is amateur as fuck. Absolutely criminal.

The other inquisitors all have such a unique look about them, shes so vanilla. And why get such a mediocre actress for such a big role? My god shes awful. Not intimidating at all, doesn't feel dangerous at all, line delivery sucks. Grand Inquisitor was dope I was looking forward to him being the main baddie, so that pissed me off. She better meet a horrible fate, I want retribution.

Edit - maybe he's not actually dead... I think Rebels takes place after this and he's in that... so maybe he comes back for sweet revenge. 🤞

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think my biggest issue is casting a 6 year old and calling her 10. I know Leia is short but this girl is not 10. Also it is hard for me to think obiwan just forgot how to use the force. Or was latent in it due to neglect. So far my kids and I are enjoying it. But leia is a real miss.

pramod

Banned
Is no one else bothered by Obiwan stealing meat from his job every single frickin day? Not a very "light side" thing to do.

And my guess is the only reason he never gets caught is through some jedi mind trickery.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Leia's run is weird too. I almost think maybe they cast a "little person" to play her when I see the gait. There is just something off about it. MY 10 year old didn't run around all the time. She laid around and tried to get out of chores.

I also agree with the Inquisitor main villain. She is just bad at delivering some of her lines. It is noticeable. They already put an article out there telling that actress she will get racist hate from "fans". So any criticism of her will seem like you just hate her skin color and not her performance.

One thing we haven't gotten yet is Blue Milk. Where is the blue milk, and what animal creates it.

K' Dash

Leia's run is weird too. I almost think maybe they cast a "little person" to play her when I see the gait. There is just something off about it. MY 10 year old didn't run around all the time. She laid around and tried to get out of chores.

I also agree with the Inquisitor main villain. She is just bad at delivering some of her lines. It is noticeable. They already put an article out there telling that actress she will get racist hate from "fans". So any criticism of her will seem like you just hate her skin color and not her performance.

One thing we haven't gotten yet is Blue Milk. Where is the blue milk, and what animal creates it.

Reva is terrible, I fucking hate angry, edgy, over the top villains, we get it, you hate Kenobi... Yeezaz woman, just chill for a bit...

Every line is like she tries too hard to deliver it with hate, which is stupid and I'm not buying it.

Now, not only the character is terribly written, the actress is not good at all for this part.

Rival

Gold Member
I am going to continue watching but I have a very difficult time understanding how anyone didn’t think the first two episodes weren’t complete shit. And I usually like most Star Wars stuff.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Finished both episodes. I'm baffled by the rather positive reception. Thought it was straight out garbage so far.

- Acting and writing were horrible
- Though kid placement from Disney is getting super tiresome
- The case scene in the forest was laughably bad
- Parkour run of the roofs... looooooooooool
- Reva uses mind trick to find Obi Wan in episode 2 but for some reason didn't bother to do so in episode 1

Hope Christensen brings in a bit class here...
If it wasn't just 6 episodes I'd probably stop watching.

Melon Husk

Why does Obi-Wan work at Tyson Foods? Isn't he self sufficient enough as a jedi to hunt for whatever meat they're processing there?

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
This show is really fucking bad.

Dragged out pacing.
Bratty know it all little kid.
Ben Kenobi is neutered.
Stupid scenes like Leia getting chased in the woods.

Mandalorian was a fluke. Bobba Fett was bad, this is bad as well. 😴😴

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I kinda like it that Kenobi is struggling to reconnect with the Force.

But the direction, pace, and script is all over the shop. Reva … omg, the actress who plays her is ugh. They should have cast this awesome mofo from Fallen Order:

trilla-suduri.gif

And Leia … Kenobi should have let her fall (okay maybe not).

The funniest sequence for me was Reva just doing all that unnecessary parkour, and still failing to really catch up with the pair. And if Reva could simply pull thoughts from people as she did to Heja the fake Jedi, why didn’t she do it to that bogan Owen? Or anyone else that she was questioning.

HoodWinked

Why does Obi-Wan work at Tyson Foods? Isn't he self sufficient enough as a jedi to hunt for whatever meat they're processing there?

The scraps he steals he just feeds to his space camel. So he's doing it for the wages. But an example of the directionlessness of the show is how they kept showing Obi Wan stealing the meat to setup something like he would get confronted or caught but that never happens. So it just kinda weirdly ends up condoning job theft. Weird message to send for a kids show.

Top Bottom