• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMFG! XB360 AfterBurner - Virtua Fighter - Sonic - HoTD Chrome Mech game VIDEOS

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i just wanted to ad that they were quite clear that all of these demos were running on 360 hardware and were "closer then you think" (to being released?). hell, in the middle of the sonic presentation, they began manipulating coin boxes with the 360 controller.

i'd say its pretty safe to assume all games show will be on 360.

and VF was probably the best thing i saw at the show :O

Krowley

VF looks amazing, better than any next gen fighting game demo's i've seen so far and sonic just blew my mind.

if they release a sonic game that actually plays like that all the way through, and where i only play as sonic.... i will be a sega fanboy all over again. It looks like it actually is sort of first person/3rd person, which would work well for 3d sonic i think. It just made me drool. if this comes out exclusive for x360, i'll buy a 360 for sure.

afterburner was HOT. Looked really intense. GO SEGA

thorns

Banned
I want chrome hounds, looks sick!

I guess this pretty much confirms that Xbox 360 is going to have an AWESOME game lineup.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Oh, I am sure some of those games (VF5, HOD, Afterburner) are running on the new Power VR arcade hardware which will be shown in a week or so :)

op_ivy

Kleegamefan said:
Oh, I am sure some of those games (VF5, HOD, Afterburner) are running on the new Power VR arcade hardware which will be shown in a week or so :)

as i mentioned before, sega repeatedly said that all demos were on 360...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
as i mentioned before, sega repeatedly said that all demos were on 360...

uh, no. The only game that was specifically related to Xbox 360 is Chrome Hounds. The Live service was mentioned. As for the rest, that was just said to be "next gen" stuff.

Edit: oh lol, this is TTP typing on Marconelly account :)

Mojojo

According to Jeux-france, Iwata and Miyamoto were with Yuji Naka at the Sega Theater, when the next-gen titles were shown... A hint of things to come?

Thanks Shogmaster and Blim!

Much appreciated and a far better view of things. Can't wait to see more of these in the future. You can put me down for a 360 if these are a coming!! :)

dorio

Banned
Hot damn!!! All of that looks amazing, talk about next gen. Thanks for posting the higher quality video guys.

Just checked out the newer vid on Xboxyde and damn Afterburner really does look hot. The earlier smaller vid I couldn't really make much beyond clouds and mountainside, but here you get better detail including the targeting rings for missiles, etc.

I don't recall ever anticipating such a simple thing as official trailers before.

Shinobi

pjberri said:
This has close to nothing to do with what you were talking about in the couple of sentences I quoted.

Oh please, of course it does.

You're making the mistake of applying the moves of this generation to the new one. Sega's unique circumstances this generation, leaving hardware to make software on their former competitors consoles, and coming off a console where their software sold pretty decently and was held in high regard, afforded them the ability to cut some nice deals with MS and Sony. They were going to have a hard time ramping up development on three consoles, so they figured the best way to go was to give each system it's own lineup. Sony obviously gave Sega a good enough deal that they killed the DC version of VF4, and most likely an XBox version as well.

That was a different time. Sega's portfolio hasn't been nearly as strong the last couple years (I've always said this was due to them loading up for the next generation), which means they don't have the leverage to basically sell their wares. Why exactly would Sony need to buy VF? They've already got Tekken and Soul Calibur. They've got MGS. They've got Final Fantasy. They've got GTA, at least on a "we get it first" basis. VF is a luxury for them at this stage, particularly with all the money they'll be spending the next couple years just getting PS3 out the door (to say nothing of PSP's expensive rollout).

Microsoft meanwhile is looking to grab anything Japanese title it can get. While VF isn't in the league of a Gran Turismo or Dragon's Quest, it's still a very popular property in Japan. So they will spend whatever it takes to acquire it, because that's been their style the last five years.

I don't believe Sony will get into a bidding war with MS over Virtua Fighter. If it was GTA, MGS or FF, Sony would match MS dollar for dollar if they had to. But VF? Nah, don't see it.

Not that they'd need to anyway. The fact that Sammy stated a year ago that far more of Sega's portfolio would be multiplatform in the next generation, along with the fact that Sega is entering this generation on the ground floor instead of playing catchup as they were this generation, means they no longer have reason to play the exclusive game unless it's to their benefit. Towit, I don't see them putting VF5 on PS3 only, unless Sony's given them reason to do so.

And that's all I've said in this thread, a previous thread, and in several other threads over the past year. I see no reason why VF5 wouldn't be on the 360 as well as PS3. But MS bots and Sony sluts who are more interested in interconsole warfare then any real game discussion would rather talk shit about their console getting the game, while the other one won't. Or worst yet, assuming VF5 is exclusive to ANYTHING when officially it doesn't even exist, and then calling Sega morons for doing so. It's annoying as fuck.

Hotsuma said:
I didn't say anything about companies hiding their videos. What gave you that idea? I said Sega seems to be getting more than enough hype going by not having videos out there.

Never said you did...I simply made the point I did to divert yet another silly "OMG THIS IS ANOTHER TYPICAL SEGA THING" that's become all too common in recent months. E3's supposed to be a trade show anyway, not a fanboy wank fest. When the games are ready to be seen in a more finished state, they'll bust 'em out at Gamer's Day or whatever.

Socreges said:
Ugh, I was hoping no one would agree with that. So silly to me. Think about it. Sonic Team has gone downhill, AM2 have been mostly irrelevant, Smilebit disappeared, their sports division became much worse, etc.... Sega has always been hit or miss, sure... but the the past couple/few years have been particularly bad, both in quality and number of titles.

There's nothing silly about it. For every Sonic the Hedgehog Sega released, there were ten Home Alones. For every VF2 they released, there were ten Congos. Sega releasing shit software is nothing new to anyone who's got more then a cursory knowledge of their history. What carried Sega during the 80's and 90's was their ability to make a half dozen to a dozen games a year. The last couple years, those gems haven't been as frequent, particularly when compared to the developing boon that they hit with the Dreamcast (critically, if not commercially). So the Astroboys and VF Quests of the world stand out like glow in the dark warts. Don't kid yourself though, Sega's always released shit like that.

And I've been saying it for over a year, and I'll say it again...their "slide" the last couple years has been by design. Rather then bother with a catalouge of high profile or meaningful games for the current gen that wouldn't do much to raise their profile, they released the warts while saving the gems for the next generation of consoles. It's a strategy that makes sense to anyone who can look at the big picture. The videos that were running at E3 is an early indicator of those fruits.

If Afterburner was a PS2 or XBox game, nobody cares. But since it's next gen, it's got the fanboys buzzing. That's basically how it works.

BTW, thanks for the vid Shog...it looks delicious. Sure hope "Naomi 3" (or whatever the hell it's called) shows it's official face soon.

Shinobi said:
BTW, thanks for the vid Shog...it looks delicious. Sure hope "Naomi 3" (or whatever the hell it's called) shows it's official face soon.

Welcome Andre. Just keep a lookout for the Sega ninja death squad for me. :D

holy mother of GOD, I just watched Shogmaster's & Blimblim's video. thank you both very much.

SEGA is coming back!

all they need now is a new rendition of Daytona :D

all they need now is a new rendition of Daytona

Can you imagine the next generation Daytona on Xbox Live? While we're at it, Sega - please update these classics to next generation, please!

Sega Rally
Space Harrier
Golden Axe

yes I can. I've been waiting for Daytona LIVE since it was reported to be in development in 2002, for Xbox. now I hope for an Xbox360 Daytona LIVE. :D

Odnetnin

Banned
thorns said:
shit, that looked aweseome!!
wasn't really expecting it..
someone bump my can sega make a comeback topic :)

that video is so bad that you really can't ascertain quality. And its 41 megs I can't get back :(

Direct Feed. Fission Mailed

Starfire

Wow! I was just thinking to myself prior to e3, wouldn't it be awesome if Sega showed off a next-gen Space Harrier this year....but this looks far better, we haevn't seen an Afterburner in any shape or form for some time now, and VF, Sonic, and Chrome Hounds look reeealy good so far, Sonic looks like what I always pictured a next-gen Sonic to look like, the longtime Sega fanboy in me is cautiously optimistic that Sega might finally be ready to pick up where they left off.

Those vids pretty much made my e3:)

op_ivy

Marconelly said:
uh, no. The only game that was specifically related to Xbox 360 is Chrome Hounds. The Live service was mentioned. As for the rest, that was just said to be "next gen" stuff.

Edit: oh lol, this is TTP typing on Marconelly account :)

uh, yes. unless i completely heard wrong, the girl doing the presentation specifically said all games were running in real time, on 360 heardware. maybe she didnt say it that way when you saw the presentation, if you saw it at all.

swordsman

Banned
sorry if old
Borrowed from http://www.gamefront.de/
segan1.jpg

segan2.jpg

segan3.jpg

segan4.jpg

Monday 23rd May 2005

E3 2005: SEGA HINTS AT FUTURE NEXT-GEN PROJECTS

Next-gen Virtua Fighter, Sonic, House of the Dead and Afterburner shown at E3

11:15 Sega dropped hints about future next-gen projects at E3 last week when it took attendees behind close doors and dazzled them with a rolling, real-time demo featuring a number of its key franchises parading themselves in a blaze of next-gen glory.

Next-generation versions of Virtua Fighter, Sonic the Hedgehog, House of the Dead and Afterburner were shown, with Virtua Fighter and Sonic the Hedgehog reportedly more tech demos while House of the Dead and Afterburner were looking dangerously like they were already in playable form.

Sega didn't specify which next-gen platform(s) the games shown were running on, nor did it confirm the titles for release. However, we'll strip naked, paint ourselves pink and run around the centre of London in broad daylight if we don't see the company giving these franchises the next-gen treatment in the future.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...eogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=119242

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
the more i look at it the more i think that the VF stuff isnt vf5.

all the demos except afterburner werent that impressive either. aside from the super speed part sonic looked just okay.

Shinobi

It's pretty obvious from the backgrounds that the VF demo is merely a test mode. Hardly matters though...it's coming and everyone knows it. The only questions are when and where.

op_ivy

Shinobi said:
It's pretty obvious from the backgrounds that the VF demo is merely a test mode. Hardly matters though...it's coming and everyone knows it. The only questions are when and where.

how is it obvious?

and i think all the games featured were very impressive, house of the dead the least though

Trojan X

Banned
I was there. Sega Theatre was the best thing out of the entire E3 showing. Easily destroyed Sony's - let's fool everyone by showing CGI movies with only 2 real games that only last for 5 seconds again - Playstation 3 cinema showing.

golem

sonic was awesome... hopefully it comes to console soon, since it was the non-arcade title of the bunch.

if only they showed shenmue 3 though ;_;

Kuroyume said:
It looks like Sonic is back to his old design... :D

In some ways yes, in other ways, no.

newstyle4pa.jpg

From this angle, it shows that Sonic still retains the longer spines from the Sonic Adventure series.

oldstyle4iy.jpg

Wheras here, from the side, it almost looks like the Genesis era Sonic, with the shorter spines.

newstyle23jt.jpg

Here, we can see that Sonic retains his longer, sleeker body form from the Sonic Adventure series(opposed to the short and 'chubby' look of the Genesis era)

oldstyle26am.jpg

Another angle of his spines. Again, short like the Genesis era. Also notice that they've colored his eyes pitch black, instead of the green eyes that Sonic has in SA.

jarrod

Banned
Shinobi said:
I'd say all the games looked more like "tests" besides Sonic "360" & Chrome Hounds really. HotD just used a few models repeatedly in generic spaces, VF had 2 characters going through scripted VF4 animations... After Burner looked the farthest along and even that wasn't too much to it.

He hasn't worn those since SA2, that was only a one-game thing. (And people flipped out about it.) Heroes, Superstars, all the Advance titles, they all have Sonic with his original shoes.

Are you sure his eyes aren't green? I think I see a hint of it. I think they just gave him a slight repalette to match the Sonic X anime (notice the charged-up spin attack he does that looks like the one in Sonic X).

oldstyle26am.jpg

Yeah, I think I see a hint of green somewhere in there...

Yep, I used the "dropper" tool in Paint Shop Pro. It came up green all right.(Being color blind leads me to use such drastic methods.)

D-X

Kulock said:
He hasn't worn those since SA2, that was only a one-game thing. (And people flipped out about it.) Heroes, Superstars, all the Advance titles, they all have Sonic with his original shoes.

And suddenly in Heroes they can all grind even Big...

dorio

Banned
F*&k, Microsoft got to Sonic like they got to Allard.

SonicMegaDrive said:
In some ways yes, in other ways, no.

newstyle4pa.jpg

From this angle, it shows that Sonic still retains the longer spines from the Sonic Adventure series.

oldstyle4iy.jpg

Wheras here, from the side, it almost looks like the Genesis era Sonic, with the shorter spines.

newstyle23jt.jpg

Here, we can see that Sonic retains his longer, sleeker body form from the Sonic Adventure series(opposed to the short and 'chubby' look of the Genesis era)

oldstyle26am.jpg

Another angle of his spines. Again, short like the Genesis era. Also notice that they've colored his eyes pitch black, instead of the green eyes that Sonic has in SA.

jarrod said:
I'd say all the games looked more like "tests" besides Sonic "360" & Chrome Hounds really. HotD just used a few models repeatedly in generic spaces, VF had 2 characters going through scripted VF4 animations... After Burner looked the farthest along and even that wasn't too much to it.
Well the lady claimed that we will be seeing the games alot sooner than expected so we will see.

Gattsu25

Banned
TheDiave said:
Either way, Sonic needs to have fur... Hedgehogs do have fur. They aren't slick, wet and rubbery like a dolphin.

PLEASE leave that never-properly-used fur-shading stuff to Rare

Sonic does look a lot closer to his older look, which is nothing but a good thing IMO. He also appears to be finally moving past the Dreamcast, model-wise

Top Bottom