• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMFG! XB360 AfterBurner - Virtua Fighter - Sonic - HoTD Chrome Mech game VIDEOS

Barnimal

Banned
thats sonicCD sonic in 3d with green eyes from this gen

oldstyle4iy.jpg

sonic_cd_intro.png

even more reason for joyous rapture!

holy hell i just realized how close those shots actually look. maybe 360 is based on sonic cds world? the videos sure look like it.

Shinobi

op_ivy said:
how is it obvious?

and i think all the games featured were very impressive, house of the dead the least though

The BG's look like they were based on VF2, VF3 and VF4...basically Kage's forest stage in 2, the library stage in 3, and the great wall of China in 3 and 4. More to the point, they only showed a couple characters doing their thing. It reminds me a lot of the VF Remix/VF2 demo (forget which one it was) AM2 showed in the spring of '95 for the Saturn.

Like I said, VF5 is on the way. That's just a fact. So it really doesn't matter what this video is about, or what it's running on.

jarrod said:
I'd say all the games looked more like "tests" besides Sonic "360" & Chrome Hounds really. HotD just used a few models repeatedly in generic spaces, VF had 2 characters going through scripted VF4 animations... After Burner looked the farthest along and even that wasn't too much to it.

Afterburner has a full on HUD display, missle indicators, a turbo bar...that looked like a real game. Same with HOTD for that matter. Sonic could go either way, but I doubt his future next gen game will look much different. Again, if that PowerVR arcade board is still on the way (and no reason has been given for me to believe that it isn't), then it would be no surprise that those games are in such a playable state. It also wouldn't be particularly surprising if Sonic was programmed on the hardware as a test for future games. Frankly, that's how I believed the board should've been used over the course of the past year by all the Sega teams, even if they had no plans of ever releasing an arcade game.

Sonic looks almost exactly how I always wanted a 3D Sonic to look. to be honest, I really disliked the first Sonic Adventure game on Dreamcast and while I liked SA2 better, it still was not right. and dont get me started on how retarded Shadow looks.. but this new Sonic look, is almost perfect. I am so looking forward to this new Sonic game, more than any Sonic game since the first game on Genesis. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Impressive, but not sure if its all realtime (sorry)

The way the presenter says 'what you are seeing is being controlled in realtime' just before that castle room in Sonic makes me think that only that one part is controlled in realtime specifically. There is a distinct change between scripted type stuff and obvious camera moving. Plus some other sections like the robots look to have a different image quality.

Still, it should all be doable on next-gen hardware - I'm just not sure it is all being rendered in realtime.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd like to believe, and its possibly doable on the hardware. I'm just being nitpicky about the way the scripted comments were placed.

Shinobi

Personally I'd still love to see a rendition of this bitchin' Green Hill Zone in a next gen Sonic game...

mia-sonic4_a1.jpg

mia-sonic4_a4.jpg

mia-sonic4_a2.jpg

mia-sonic4_a3.jpg

Remember when this was said to be a 32X game? :lol Ah, those were the days...

Shinobi said:
Personally I'd still love to see a rendition of this bitchin' Green Hill Zone in a next gen Sonic game...

mia-sonic4_a1.jpg

mia-sonic4_a4.jpg

mia-sonic4_a2.jpg

mia-sonic4_a3.jpg

what are these renders from? Sonic CD?

mrklaw said:

The way the presenter says 'what you are seeing is being controlled in realtime' just before that castle room in Sonic makes me think that only that one part is controlled in realtime specifically. There is a distinct change between scripted type stuff and obvious camera moving. Plus some other sections like the robots look to have a different image quality.

Still, it should all be doable on next-gen hardware - I'm just not sure it is all being rendered in realtime.

Well, no, not all of it is being controlled by a player, only one segment with Sonic looking around and throwing ring boxes/bubbles (that exploded into bouncing rings for tech demo-y reasons) was actually being controlled, but as they repeatedly stated, all of the graphical work seen onscreen was being done in realtime (on the 360, I assume). That counts for something, when many of the more impressive tech demos at E3 were estimations or preedited video to approximate what the final product will look like.

So things were scripted for the most part, like a real-time cinema in one of the previous Sonic games, but that was just to give you an idea of what'd it look like.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The next generation arcade games won't be the only attraction at the show. Moving to high definition display and moving to an ultra-economic implementation will both respectively require a new arcade cabinet design.

mrklaw said:

Cripes people! Were you there? Well I was. THREE TIMES! There is a big portion of the presentation that I didn't bother to record because it was about Condemed and Full Auto, two games that many got to record already, and @ 640x480/30fps, I didn't have enough room on my 512MB card to catch the entire 15 minute presentation.

I'm going to say this as clearly as I can so there will be no more idle speculations and confusion. At the very beginning, before they show anything, the presenter says and I quote: "Everything you're about to see in this theater is all realtime without any pre-rendered CG footage".

END OF DISCUSSION!!!

Starfire

I really hope they decide to stick with the old model Sonic, the chara-designs were one of the main things that appealed to me about the series in the first place, it'd be like if they redesigned Mario and turned his plumbers outfit into biker chaps:(

X-Treme!!!!......to the MAXXX!!!!..........sorry

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i cant wait to see some of the VF stuff in high res pictures. the detail and lighting looked superb

jarrod

Banned
D-X said:
It's a unreleased CG from Sonic Jam
No, those shots stem from 1994-ish GameFan. I think the CG was just internal testing that was eventually shown to the press, similar to the FFVI SGI demo. GF twisted it into being from an in development 32X Sonic.

Shogmaster said:
Cripes people! Were you there? Well I was. THREE TIMES! There is a big portion of the presentation that I didn't bother to record because it was about Condemed and Full Auto, two games that many got to record already, and @ 640x480/30fps, I didn't have enough room on my 512MB card to catch the entire 15 minute presentation.

I'm going to say this as clearly as I can so there will be no more idle speculations and confusion. At the very beginning, before they show anything, the presenter says and I quote: "Everything you're about to see in this theater is all realtime without any pre-rendered CG footage".

END OF DISCUSSION!!!

guys, no more asking if it was pre-rendered or realtime, otherwise shog will be ripping out his hair. stop causing him un-needed stress! :)

jarrod said:
No, those shots stem from 1994-ish GameFan. I think the CG was just internal testing that was eventually shown to the press, similar to the FFVI SGI demo. GF twisted it into being from an in development 32X Sonic.

Actually, wasn't it from a "ride" in Japan? It was just marked "Unreleased" because the US branch never used it. (I think the version in Sonic Jam is edited down, too.)

midnightguy said:
guys, no more asking if it was pre-rendered or realtime, otherwise shog will be ripping out his hair. stop causing him un-needed stress! :)

Thanks for lookin' out for my dwindling follicles, buddy. *wipes tears*

Sega

I went to this movie three times at E3. I just want to say something about the HOTD video. I wasn't impressed at ALL at first. It used maybe 2 zombie models (both looked similar to each other), and the backgrounds were bland. BUT there was something VERY impressive that this video does not capture at all. They went through a hallway where there is glass on both sides. In this video, it looks like a solid white mess. But in the movie, let me tell you, it was actually scary. I commend them on this scene. The glass warped their image, and the strobe lighting and zombie movement worked together with this warping to make a very frightening image. Whoever did that one scene knew what they were doing. I almost never get scared by videogames, but this was done right.

The rest was... "eh" to me. except that one giant creature boss. One thing about him I liked, was this strange lighting they used. Again, the video doesn't capture it, but it looked like he had a layer of gel over him. The specularity was high contrast, and went around the contour of the creature. I thought it was interesting and stylized. It's nice to see stuff like that when everyone is going for ultrarealism. It's nice to see shading like that when everyone is so focused on making everything as dirty, gritty, and "real" as possible. I was so sick of the damn dirt textures at E3...

Also, the Sonic presentation... they took some pages out of Burnout 3's book. They looked into how to capture speed in this. They got some nice motion bluring on the outside of the screen, and animated the lens type slightly to pump up the feeling of speed. If they use this at all in gameplay, I'll cry a tear of joy. It was really gorgeous, and once again, the video did not capture this at all.

The Virtua Fighter presentation... made me sad. VF has been known to change the visual style drastically from sequel to sequel, as well as the fighting engine. I had a feeling when VF5 was announced (no, maybe when Final Tuned was announced) that Sega was going to just rush the sequel out to make a quick buck. They usually wait until they have something new to say to the world... something new to bring to the table. But this video kinda confirmed to me that they don't this time. However, they have plenty of time to redo the art. Who knows. I will also say that the actual video looked a LOT nicer than this video. You can't see all of the stitches and wrinkles in Sarah's leather on this internet video, but at E3, you could. Again, it saddened me, but you should know it looked better than this internet video shows.

Oh man... I wish all of you could have witnessed the beauty of Afterburner on that screen. You are missing so much. It was definitely number on on my list in this presentation. I assumed it would play something like Sky Target, but it looks like they learned a thing or two about gameplay since then (from what I could gather visually). It looks like a LOT of fun, and still stays true to the hectic action of the classic. So gorgeous... I wish I could have taken a better video than this for everyone. I hope Sega eventually releases direct feed footage...

Sega said:
I went to this movie three times at E3. I just want to say something about the HOTD video. I wasn't impressed at ALL at first. It used maybe 2 zombie models (both looked similar to each other), and the backgrounds were bland. BUT there was something VERY impressive that this video does not capture at all. They went through a hallway where there is glass on both sides. In this video, it looks like a solid white mess. But in the movie, let me tell you, it was actually scary. I commend them on this scene. The glass warped their image, and the strobe lighting and zombie movement worked together with this warping to make a very frightening image. Whoever did that one scene knew what they were doing. I almost never get scared by videogames, but this was done right.

The rest was... "eh" to me. except that one giant creature boss. One thing about him I liked, was this strange lighting they used. Again, the video doesn't capture it, but it looked like he had a layer of gel over him. The specularity was high contrast, and went around the contour of the creature. I thought it was interesting and stylized. It's nice to see stuff like that when everyone is going for ultrarealism. It's nice to see shading like that when everyone is so focused on making everything as dirty, gritty, and "real" as possible. I was so sick of the damn dirt textures at E3...

Also, the Sonic presentation... they took some pages out of Burnout 3's book. They looked into how to capture speed in this. They got some nice motion bluring on the outside of the screen, and animated the lens type slightly to pump up the feeling of speed. If they use this at all in gameplay, I'll cry a tear of joy. It was really gorgeous, and once again, the video did not capture this at all.

The Virtua Fighter presentation... made me sad. VF has been known to change the visual style drastically from sequel to sequel, as well as the fighting engine. I had a feeling when VF5 was announced (no, maybe when Final Tuned was announced) that Sega was going to just rush the sequel out to make a quick buck. They usually wait until they have something new to say to the world... something new to bring to the table. But this video kinda confirmed to me that they don't this time. However, they have plenty of time to redo the art. Who knows. I will also say that the actual video looked a LOT nicer than this video. You can't see all of the stitches and wrinkles in Sarah's leather on this internet video, but at E3, you could. Again, it saddened me, but you should know it looked better than this internet video shows.

Oh man... I wish all of you could have witnessed the beauty of Afterburner on that screen. You are missing so much. It was definitely number on on my list in this presentation. I assumed it would play something like Sky Target, but it looks like they learned a thing or two about gameplay since then (from what I could gather visually). It looks like a LOT of fun, and still stays true to the hectic action of the classic. So gorgeous... I wish I could have taken a better video than this for everyone. I hope Sega eventually releases direct feed footage...

OMG! Sega itself is visiting GAF! Give us high res video or I'll cut you......

Shinobi

jarrod said:

Nope, that was Gameplayers...Gamefan pimped the Final Fantasy Siggraph demo shots as FF7 in real time on N64. :lol

As Kulock said, I've since read that the images were from a Sonic CG virtual ride in one of their Joypolis things or whatever. Just Google up Sonic 32X or something, the info won't be that hard to find.

Sega

Shinobi said:
Nope, that was Gameplayers...Gamefan pimped the Final Fantasy Siggraph demo shots as FF7 in real time on N64. :lol
I never even read Gameplayers back then, and I read the article toting those images as 32X Sonic. I believe Gamefan reported it as such. Maybe in addition to Gameplayers, but I think Gamefan did do it.

Iceman

Wouldn't it be in Microsoft's best interest to get these SEGA direct feeds out on the world wide web ASAP in order to curtail some of PS3's positive buzz?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Are any of these games confirmed for launch yet?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Himuro said:
VF is xbox 360 only?

No. The next home version of VF hasn't been officially announced for any platform yet. VF5 is slated to debut in the arcades later this year running on Sega's new Power VR hardware and that's it.

J2 Cool

Eh, with Sonic, you can't do much more with his character design. Someone needs to really redesign him, though as classic as he is that's impossible. They'll have to use sense of speed and environments to wow us I guess. Speaking of sense of speed and environments though! AFTERBURNER! Holy shit! The reflections, the mountains, and terrain. All zipping by so quick but looking so damn good. That was easily the most impressive demo of the bunch imo. Arcade style fun, with speed and visuals that are jaw dropping. That's the kind of stuff I want next gen. It looked damn near like a hollywood CG plane scene. Something Pixar would do, though of course a little below. But still, damn!

J2 Cool said:
Eh, with Sonic, you can't do much more with his character design. Someone needs to really redesign him, though as classic as he is that's impossible. They'll have to use sense of speed and environments to wow us I guess. Speaking of sense of speed and environments though! AFTERBURNER! Holy shit! The reflections, the mountains, and terrain. All zipping by so quick but looking so damn good. That was easily the most impressive demo of the bunch imo. Arcade style fun, with speed and visuals that are jaw dropping. That's the kind of stuff I want next gen. It looked damn near like a hollywood CG plane scene. Something Pixar would do, though of course a little below. But still, damn!

Iam Glad someone wants Afterburner next gen. We may be the only ones. Outrun 2 also had great graphics, but old school gameplay, but no one cared. I hope that is not the fate of Afterburner, if they do make the demo into a game.

DarkCloud

Add me to the Afterburner next gen cool kids club. Been waiting for a new version for 10 years now...(the Sega CD version of 3 was meh)

Sonic is also on my must get list if it plays like that teaser.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Shinobi said:

mia-sonic4_a1.jpg

mia-sonic4_a4.jpg

mia-sonic4_a2.jpg

mia-sonic4_a3.jpg

Didn't Sonic Team include a secret Green Hill Zone level in Sonic Adventure 2?

Shinobi

Sega said:
I never even read Gameplayers back then, and I read the article toting those images as 32X Sonic. I believe Gamefan reported it as such. Maybe in addition to Gameplayers, but I think Gamefan did do it.

I don't know, maybe they did...I got most of the Gamefans from that period. They've got enough of their own bullshit rumours that they don't need one more attributed to them. :lol

Iceman said:
Wouldn't it be in Microsoft's best interest to get these SEGA direct feeds out on the world wide web ASAP in order to curtail some of PS3's positive buzz?

Not without Sega's say so. And until Sega officially unveils them as actual games (on an actual platform), in some ways they're about as real as the Killzone demos. :lol

Besides, the 360 will be fine anyway...when the final kits roll out and the devs are able to flip some of those switches on, we'll be wondering what all the E3 fuss was about.

sonic4ever said:
Iam Glad someone wants Afterburner next gen. We may be the only ones. Outrun 2 also had great graphics, but old school gameplay, but no one cared. I hope that is not the fate of Afterburner, if they do make the demo into a game.

Heh, a home version of Afterburner would bomb even harder then OutRun 2...you know that as well as I do. The original game never once made for good home games.

That won't stop me from wanting it though...others are more interested in playing the big hit/bomb game, I'd rather play the games I want, and to fuck with anything else.

Kiriku said:
Didn't Sonic Team include a secret Green Hill Zone level in Sonic Adventure 2?

Well shoot...never even knew that existed. Of course I didn't play much of SA2, so that didn't help. Gonna have to find a save file somewhere and bust the game out.

Pimpwerx

Time for me to interrupt the Sega love-in with some of my holier-than-though fresh-spective. :D

WTF happened to the Sega that produced new ideas? Condemned? Full Auto? Chrome Hounds? Lord have mercy. :( At least Chrome Hounds looks like it could be fun at a turtle's pace if they get the "urban mech war" feel down.

But I'm disappointed to see that they've gone back to the well for ideas...and not even good ones. Afterburner's appeal is very questionable at this point in time. It's a license that was all but forgotten over the years, when Sega could have done well to leverage its former greatness. Now...does it have a prayer of getting people excited again? The fighter-on-rails genre died over a decade ago when we got hw powerful enough to remove the rails. It's like sticking training wheels on Ace Combat. :(

HoTD I just plain never liked, but that's just me. I will cut them slack if they can get a gun up to snuff with the one from Time Crisis. That gun (forget the name) was way more accurate than the mickey mouse guns HoTD had. Precision was a foreign word in that game IMO. But the concept and difficulty were always a good thing for the series, so I can't badmouth the decision. Apparently the demo was one of the better ones too, so that's a good start.

VF...I shall worship at the alter of Yu Suzuki forever. All I can say is he needs to freshen up the visuals. Keep the awesome fighting formula as awesome as ever, and I shall never complain. And keep Shun and Leon in the game. Drunken praying mantis >>> *. :D

Now Sonic...where do I begin? He's a 16bit character that was never meant to be a 3D character. This is more apparent now than ever before with his solid colors and simplistic design. As a mascot, he was totally Crash Bandicooted last gen. If Sonic was a football player, he'd be Jerry Rice still hobbling along the sidelines in the year 2020. Give it up already. He needs to go. His popularity has been waning, and Yuji Naka is quickly being exposed for the hack he is *ducks projectile*. I say it's time to shitcan Sonic and come up with a new mascot for the future. Or better yet, ditch the idea of a mascot altogether since it hasn't been doing much for Sega's image over the last decade anyway. At least Dr. Robotnik can evolve with the hardware, but Sonic will forever be lame unless something changes. His blast processing gimmick days are over. Speaking of which, the best game in the series is still Sonic 2 *waits to see reaction....and ducks projectile*. That's right, I went there.

Doesn't Sega have some other marquee IPs they can draw on to help revitalize their image in the coming gen? No? Well, too bad I guess. :p PEACE.

P.S. Don't take it the wrong way. Not sure what other way there is to take it, but Sega's about as hot as a post-op Lohan these days. :? *runs*

PG2G

Pimpwerx, you do realize that Condemned, Full Auto, and Chrome Hounds are merely published by Sega, right?

Pimpwerx said:
Now Sonic...where do I begin? He's a 16bit character that was never meant to be a 3D character. This is more apparent now than ever before with his solid colors and simplistic design. As a mascot, he was totally Crash Bandicooted last gen. If Sonic was a football player, he'd be Jerry Rice still hobbling along the sidelines in the year 2020. Give it up already. He needs to go. His popularity has been waning, and Yuji Naka is quickly being exposed for the hack he is *ducks projectile*. I say it's time to shitcan Sonic and come up with a new mascot for the future. Or better yet, ditch the idea of a mascot altogether since it hasn't been doing much for Sega's image over the last decade anyway. At least Dr. Robotnik can evolve with the hardware, but Sonic will forever be lame unless something changes. His blast processing gimmick days are over. Speaking of which, the best game in the series is still Sonic 2 *waits to see reaction....and ducks projectile*. That's right, I went there.
Whether, you like the current Sonic games or not, they sale. Heck they have been Sega's best sellers this gen. For a character being so unpopular, he sure does sell allover the world. Yes Yuji Naka may not be that great, but all that matters to Sega is that the sonic Games sell. Also I don't think Yuji Naka has truly been involved in all the Sonic games.

Pimpwerx

PG2G said:
Pimpwerx, you do realize that Condemned, Full Auto, and Chrome Hounds are merely published by Sega, right?
That's good news. Hopefully that awful PS3 game they showed is also only published by them too.

sonic4ever said:
Whether, you like the current Sonic games or not, they sale. Heck they have been Sega's best sellers this gen. For a character being so unpopular, he sure does sell allover the world. Yes Yuji Naka may not be that great, but all that matters to Sega is that the sonic Games sell. Also I don't think Yuji Naka has truly been involved in all the Sonic games.

Code:
10 NBA 2K3                  | 405,561 |   PS2  |
9 NBA 2K2                   | 467,194 |   PS2  |
8 SONIC HEROES              | 469,431 |   NGC  |
7 SONIC ADVENTURE DX        | 511,413 |   NGC  |
6 SUPER MONKEY BALL 2       | 546,212 |   NGC  |
5 VIRTUA FIGHTER 4          | 623,098 |   PS2  |
4 SUPER MONKEY BALL         | 626,131 |   NGC  |
3 NFL 2K3                   | 831,206 |   PS2  |
2 SONIC MEGA COLLECTION     | 834,844 |   NGC  |
1 SONIC ADVENTURE 2 BATTLE  |1,086,853|   NGC  |

Sonic sales seem to be in a wee bit of a decline. These are NPD figures. Sonic used to be a blockbuster...used to be. If this is something to celebrate, then maybe life's really that bad on skid row. ;) PEACE.

Sega

Pimpwerx said:
Code:
10 NBA 2K3                  | 405,561 |   PS2  |
9 NBA 2K2                   | 467,194 |   PS2  |
8 SONIC HEROES              | 469,431 |   NGC  |
7 SONIC ADVENTURE DX        | 511,413 |   NGC  |
6 SUPER MONKEY BALL 2       | 546,212 |   NGC  |
5 VIRTUA FIGHTER 4          | 623,098 |   PS2  |
4 SUPER MONKEY BALL         | 626,131 |   NGC  |
3 NFL 2K3                   | 831,206 |   PS2  |
2 SONIC MEGA COLLECTION     | 834,844 |   NGC  |
1 SONIC ADVENTURE 2 BATTLE  |1,086,853|   NGC  |

Sonic sales seem to be in a wee bit of a decline. These are NPD figures. Sonic used to be a blockbuster...used to be. If this is something to celebrate, then maybe life's really that bad on skid row. ;) PEACE.
Actually, that's not bad for a game whose sequels used the same damn engine for four damn years :p. Shadow the Hedgehog made me sad in that area. And a freaking Genesis emulator with a few games they've released several times over sells 835 thousand? Not bad at all.

Shinobi

Pimpwerx said:

People can have whatever opinion they want of Sonic (hell, I haven't loved a Sonic game since the 3/S&K combo hit the Genny since '94), but people need to recognize the FACTS:

- Sonic X is (I believe) the highest rated show in the Saturday morning Fox Box

- Sonic the Hedgehog has been Archie Comic's biggest seller for over a decade now

- Sonic games still continue to sell. It just came out as a platinum game on XBox, which is Sega's first on that platform, and people are still buying up ten year old Genesis collections on Gamecube and PS2

Is Sonic where he was in the glory years, when he was at one time more popular then Mickey Mouse? Nope. But which mascot character is these days? Bottom line is, Sonic's still one of the more bankable franchises around, and they might as well continue to squeeze that lemon until there's nothing left but the skin.

Anyway, I have a small list of wishes for Sega for the upcoming generation. With the current gen Sega came through quite well in my list of wishes...a new Panzer, a new Shinobi, a VF-style adventure/RPG (Shenmue), and a simulation racing that wasn't boring as shit (yep, F355 still owns Gran Turismo...suck it down Duane :lol). I think for this generation I'd like to see a combination of new and old things...

- Naomi 3...high time they unveil this puppy

- A real next gen Sega Rally 3

- A new Panzer RPG

- A Virtua Cop adventure or FPS game

- A HOTD FPS, or...

- An Alien Syndrome FPS

- Shenmue 3...I need it

- A semi-sequel to F355 from Yu Suzuki, featuring European, American and Japanese exotics, and twenty of the best road courses on the planet (Mosport, Spa, Nurburgring, etc)

- Using the new Sega Racing studio to develop a fully licensed simulation based on the American Le Mans series

- Whatever happened to that F1 arcade game I heard about? They should make one of those

- That Die Hard style game with Jacky and Sarah that Yu talked about a couple years ago

- Most if not all of the System 16/32 catalogue ported to the DS, giving me a reason to give a fuck about it

- Most if not all of the Model 2/3 catalouge ported to the PSP, giving me a reason to give a fuck about it

If I got half of this stuff (particularly Shenmue 3), I'd be pretty happy.

xexex

Banned
I want all the Model 2/ Model 3 games on Xbox 360. sorry to bitch but PSP is likely to fuckup with Model 3 games, due to the fact that its graphics engine is very similar to that of PS2. improved but not changed enough. Xbox 360 is probably the first console that could handle perfect Model 3 ports as far as the texture mapping is concerned. even Xbox's port of the Daytona 2 and Scud Racer tracks in Outrun2 lacked in texture mapping, pretty badly.

that said: it is time Sega showed us:
a truly awesome 3D Sonic game
Sega Rally 3
Phantasy Star 5 (PSU is not going to cut it, ultimately)
Daytona 3
a new Shinning in the Darkness/Holy Ark
a new Shadow Dancer (since wolves in games are BACK!)

Sega

xexex said:
I want all the Model 2/ Model 3 games on Xbox 360. sorry to bitch but PSP is likely to fuckup with Model 3 games, due to the fact that its graphics engine is very similar to that of PS2. improved but not changed enough. Xbox 360 is probably the first console that could handle perfect Model 3 ports as far as the texture mapping is concerned. even Xbox's port of the Daytona 2 and Scud Racer tracks in Outrun2 lacked in texture mapping, pretty badly.
I don't think that was the fault of the console, that those tracks lacked. The models themselves were different as well. I think they played the arcade game, or watched a VHS tape of it, and tried to recreate it. The textures weren't just low res, but were different textures. The colors were dull too. Xbox and PS2 could handle Model 3 just fine, I feel. PSP, however, may be stretching it. Dreamcast couldn't handle perfect model 3 stuff, and PSP hasn't shown me anything yet that blows Dreamcast away in power. I would trust near-perfect model 2 ports on PSP, however. Not emulated, but ports/rewrites. Though, is it even capable of a 60hz refresh rate? That was a huge part of the model 2 experience.

And I'm really not sure where you're going with PSP's "graphics engine is very similar to that of PS2. improved but not changed enough." The graphics engine is coded by the developer. It's not hardcoded into the hardware. And if you mean "GPU", the PSP is not improved. It's less capable than PS2.

Also, you guys forgot NiGHTS :/ And if MJ wasn't in so much trouble, and so alien right now, I think we could go for a new Michael Jackson's Moonwalker on next gen consoles :). That'd be some pretty dancing and sparks.

xexex

Banned
Sega said:
I don't think that was the fault of the console, that those tracks lacked. The models themselves were different as well. I think they played the arcade game, or watched a VHS tape of it, and tried to recreate it. The textures weren't just low res, but were different textures. The colors were dull too. Xbox and PS2 could handle Model 3 just fine, I feel. PSP, however, may be stretching it. Dreamcast couldn't handle perfect model 3 stuff, and PSP hasn't shown me anything yet that blows Dreamcast away in power. I would trust near-perfect model 2 ports on PSP, however. Not emulated, but ports/rewrites. Though, is it even capable of a 60hz refresh rate? That was a huge part of the model 2 experience.

And I'm really not sure where you're going with PSP's "graphics engine is very similar to that of PS2. improved but not changed enough." The graphics engine is coded by the developer. It's not hardcoded into the hardware. And if you mean "GPU", the PSP is not improved. It's less capable than PS2.

Also, you guys forgot NiGHTS :/ And if MJ wasn't in so much trouble, and so alien right now, I think we could go for a new Michael Jackson's Moonwalker on next gen consoles :). That'd be some pretty dancing and sparks.

I wasnt talking about the software graphics engine, I was talking about the GPU / hardware, the rendering features and capabilities / quality of PSP's GPU. of course in terms of performance, PSP obliterates Model 2 and Model 3, but performance alone wont cut it. you gotta have all the hardwired features and I would think that they'd have to be of the same quality. I think Model 2 re-writes to PSP would do just fine, but Model 3 I am not so sure about. that's why I'd like to see them all put on Xbox 360 and/or PS3 first, which is going to be able to handle all the rendering features just find, and have plenty of video memory this time to handle all the textures. after a console collection is done, bring it over to PSP, thats fine. just as long as I can play a no-comprimise set of these games on console with system link-up, 2 screens, and steering wheels, arcade sticks, etc.

I wasnt talking about the software

thorns

Banned
SEGA should learn from Tecmo on how to revitalize a 2d classic into 3d (i.e. Ninja Gaiden) and make it kick ass..
Sega makes the graphics prettier but the gameplay remains still very ancient, i.e. not acceptable for today. Outrun 2 is a prime example of that IMHO.

They can easily revitalize Golden Axe, Space Harrier, Alien Syndrome etc. and make them in a way that they don't suck and are not out of touch with current gamer's expectations. Seriously, they have so many classic franchises to draw from..

thorns said:
SEGA should learn from Tecmo on how to revitalize a 2d classic into 3d (i.e. Ninja Gaiden) and make it kick ass..
Sega makes the graphics prettier but the gameplay remains still very ancient, i.e. not acceptable for today. Outrun 2 is a prime example of that IMHO.

They can easily revitalize Golden Axe, Space Harrier, Alien Syndrome etc. and make them in a way that they don't suck and are not out of touch with current gamer's expectations. Seriously, they have so many classic franchises to draw from..

I think if Sega did that, you would still have people Bitching. They would say it doens't fell like so and so game form the past. Shinobi on PS2 is a good example, when it cmae out people complained that it didn't play like a 3d Revenge of Shinobi. Let's say Instead of Outrun 2 playing like Outrun 2, it played like Burnout 3, the car crashed included. People would have complained that the game doesn't play like Outrun. I feel Sega really cna't win, people ignore thier good games and always point out the bad, but they aren't the oonly company that has made bad games, Konami, Capcom, and namco have made just as many bad games as Sega.

thorns

Banned
sonic4ever said:
I think if Sega did that, you would still have people Bitching. They would say it doens't fell like so and so game form the past. Shinobi on PS2 is a good example, when it cmae out people complained that it didn't play like a 3d Revenge of Shinobi. Let's say Instead of Outrun 2 playing like Outrun 2, it played like Burnout 3, the car crashed included. People would have complained that the game doesn't play like Outrun. I feel Sega really cna't win, people ignore thier good games and always point out the bad, but they aren't the oonly company that has made bad games, Konami, Capcom, and namco have made just as many bad games as Sega.

Old fans can complain, but it's more important to gain NEW fans.. I mean if Outrun 2 was decently advertised and was more "modernized" it would have sold much better than it did. Let the bitter old fans complain. Modernizing their franchises doesn't necessarily mean whoring out either.. Outrun 2 is just not "edgy" enough, for the lack of a better term. I think they also need to ally with another publisher who knows how to sell games in the western markets (i.e. Activision or Take Two).

Top Bottom