• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place Your Bets: Will the PS5 have 9 Teraflops or 13 Teraflops?

How many teraflops will the PS5 have?

• Total voters

POTUS

Banned
Please temper your expectations gaf, for your own sake.

Ok, yes. The PS5 will be 8TFs. All the experts told you that overclocking to 2ghz was a github test, but running the gpu at that frequency inside a small enclosed box will be extremely noisy, very hot and is simply not sustainable for long term real world use in a wide variety of climates.

But as I stated before, the TF number isn't actually that important. Pushing graphics ever higher isn't whats going to wow the general gaming audience. Creating revolutionary and truly immersive experiences is the next evolution of gaming. The key word for tomorrow is "VR PRESENCE". VR Presence will be a more beloved leap than the jump from 2D to 3D was. The PS9 ad was more than just a joke.

1. It has a custom dual channel quad antenna wifi direct chip inside that will wirelessly output to the PSVR2's dual 4K resolution RGB stripe OLED displays (one per each eye to completely eliminate the screendoor effect) at 120hz and with extremely low latency that uses predictive algorithms to decrease latency further.

2. It has custom hardware inside the headset (eye tracking cameras and inside out tracking) that enable foveated rendering so that 8TFs and wifi direct bandwidth is sufficient to generate lifelike graphics (since they only have to be rendered in full resolution in the area of the display that lies exactly opposite to the person's fovea).

3. The PS VR2 features haptic feedback glove VR controller uses microfilaments specially designed such that it can perfectly and indistinguishably simulate the feel of touching real human skin.

4. The PS5 has a signficantly faster SSD and higher bandwidth memory than the XSX to make loadtimes a thing of the fast.

These four factors combine to make PS5 a far more exciting console.

Remember how excited the world was by the Nintendo Wii. PS VR 2 and it's Haptic Glove Controllers are going to make the Wii look like a typewriter in the age of computers.

Don't ask me how I know this. I just do. And please dont ask me or start making guesses as to what I do.

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Sounds to me like everyone has made their peace with the 2000 GHz clock prediction then. I wasn't even expecting the GPU clock number for the Series X, but given that figure I would say the 2K clock is all but certain.

Last edited:
How do you vote on this site? Am i blind, ist my adblocker blocking something or am i too new here to be allowed to vote? I don't get it.

I am quite sure that Sony will go for the lower price and lesser specs strategy.
So, 399$ and something in the 10 to 11 tf range.

9 sounds too low.

T
The way MS keep saying its the most powerful xbox console and not the most powerful console ever makes me believe Sony has a better hardware. could be also one of the reason why MS went first in terms of reveal since they dont want to annouce the thing too late and weaker . that will spell doom to them.

I also believe Sony tends to go the extra mile when it comes to their hardware ever since the PS2, PSP compared to the DS back then or Vita to 3DS or PS3 to 360 ( aside from it was harder to develop for which made the console seemed a bit weaker in multiplatform games )

Makes me assume at the very least the PS5 is at least same power as Xbox with Extra Ram AT least.

With that being said i really dont care if the PS5 is a bit weaker. I am in it for Sony consoles for their exclusives. same as Switch.

However if the difference was too big in terms of graphics in Xbox favor to the point most of my multiplatform games will take a big hit in games like COD etc, then i might switch to xbox.

Really at the end of the day it depends on the games they gonna offer me. imagine Sony buying the IP silent Hill and Metal Gear Solid... I wouldnt care if the PS5 is a PS4 and half.,, ill buy that. all about the games son.
They clearly mastered the art of trolling.

Kokoloko85

9 or 11 and it will still outsell xbox because like they do every generation.... when the exclusives drop the sales will rocket like always. You cant stop sales like God of war, Naughty dog, Spider man, Gran Turismo etc etc

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
4.6 Teraflops. Being the first handheld mobile only machine, and will play only Gacha Games. Full of Konami mobile exclusives ❗

CAB_Life

If $399, then 9-10 TF. If $499 then 12-13. I’m not an expert but that seems in line with MSRP+manufacturing costs.

I’m leaning toward Sony wanting to have the price advantage again, so 9-10TF.

SGRU

I'm afraid it will be 9, but I don't care that much, honestly.

As I said many times, I want it to be SILENT. It already has the best games, now just let us enjoy it without a jet engine noise in the background.

CJY

Banned
CHOO CHOO! FINAL CALL LADIES & GENTLEMEN!

For your ticket aboard the Hypetrain, REACT to this post.

Driver: Mark Cerny
Passengers: 225

dxIthke.jpg

Esppiral

If they don't talk about TFs tomorrow can be assume that it has a disadvantage in terms of TFs compared to XBSX?

9.2 is correct and 10.2 is NOT CORRECT.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that claiming the "PS5 is a 10.2TF console" is essentially a lie.

It requires a GPU clock of 2.23GH to be 10.2GHz and there is NO WAY it can hold that clock for any meaningful amount of time. And I don't mean it can maybe hold that clock speed for only 2 or 3 minutes at a time. It probably can't hold that clock for more than 2-3 SECONDS at a time.

Forget that 10.2TF number, it's just not true.

Last edited:
Top Bottom