• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place Your Bets: Will the PS5 have 9 Teraflops or 13 Teraflops?

How many teraflops will the PS5 have?

• Total voters
Judging by Jason’s tweet I’m convinced it’s less powerful than XSX but might have something up it’s sleeve. It’ll be higher than 9 but won’t hit twelve.

I’m thinking it’s a 10-11 TF

if you listen to Sony fans, they literally want everything. Power, Games, but at 399$ while xbox remains 599$. Like people, you can't have everything.

I believe Sony will choose price over power. But you never know.

9 is too low, 13 might be too much

But if I have to choose, I would go for 13.3

Anyway, I expect Sony to kill MS with RAM, both size and speed... Also SSD speed

Those are the weak points of XsEX

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
9tf. That was the longest standing and most possibly-credibly sourced rumor. Especially if they want to sell it for $400.

13tf came from 4chan, right?

I guess the poll should also ask how many consoles they launching...1 or 2? (Me thinks just the 1 - at least for initial launch window)

Meowzers

I voted for 13 but I believe it's pretty much 12-12.5

If it was 9tflops, then I don't believe Sony would drop this straight after Microsoft showed their cards yesterday. They'd most likely wait a few weeks.

LostDonkey

They always manage to put some forward thinking tech in the PS anyway. Something will have been engineered so even if it is lower TF it will have something up it's sleeve.

Codes 208

I would say 9tflops at $400 is still the safer bet of the two (i was under the impression most rumors were circulating around 9.6, where did this 13 even come from?)

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Y7N2c6n.jpg

Fbh

They'll avoid the question completely by introducing Cernyflops. And it has 2457 of those.

Honestly though I don't know. I'd like it to be the same or close but as far as I know most rumors seem to point at it being weaker.
If it's weaker though I totally expect them to play it down with some tech buzzwords. Like "on paper the GPU only has 9.7 tflops but thanks to our new advanced diagonal multi sample coconut spirulina shading processing we a actually get twice the performance you'd get with similar hardware on other machines"

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
They'll avoid the question completely by introducing Cernyflops. And it has 2457 of those.

Honestly though I don't know. I'd like it to be the same or close but as far as I know most rumors seem to point at it being weaker.
If it's weaker though I totally expect them to play it down with some tech buzzwords. Like "on paper the GPU only has 9.7 tflops but thanks to our new advanced diagonal multi sample coconut spirulina shading processing we a actually get twice the performance you'd get with similar hardware on other machines"
Ah yes the ps4 pro marketing campaign. Lest we forget.

( or Xbox cloud)

Last edited:

splattered

Wha I voted 9tf just to be funny but it has more votes than I anticipated wtf

There is no way this thing is going to be 9.2tf people come on!

Lort

Banned

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

I admit I'd rather it be same spec as xbox so games can be designed easier but there’s a little bit of me that wants it to be 9 tf just to watch neogaf go ballistic.

ZehDon

God, I miss these threads... they’re like little mini Christmas’.

Sony won’t shift from the $399 sweet spot that made the PS4 a fucking predator at launch. Whatever they’ve built - it fits in that price window. I’m concerned the XSX is gonna price itself too high as it is. Sony’s cutting some serious corners to hit 13tf if that’s their mark.

Playstation is making Sony some serious cash, but it’s their crown jewel at the moment, so we’re not seeing shiny new exotic hardware that’s driving up the cost of the box. If they’re cutting corners, it’s gonna be ray tracing, or storage.

My guess is the PS5 can do minimal hardware acceleration ray tracing - it’s there, but it’s nothing like XSX. I’m also guessing it’s internal SSD is 500gb, but they’ll have some fancy compression bullshit PR term that’ll basically amount to long ass install times. The money save me from those two areas keeps the cost down, with higher GPU clock speed to hit the TF count and keep the cost down.

This is completely from my ass.

MHubert

It will have a narrow edge against series x tf wise, so between 12-13 tf... and it will have 5 Gb/s+ ssd.
Also, it has 20gb ram (16gb fast/4gb slower) and will cost the same as Series X, which is 499 dollars.

Plus, they will show some kind of 'wild-goose' feature that will blow peoples minds.

Sejanus

It will have a narrow edge against series x tf wise, so between 12-13 tf... and it will have 5 Gb/s+ ssd.
Also, it has 20gb ram (16gb fast/4gb slower) and will cost the same as Series X, which is 499 dollars.

Plus, they will show some kind of 'wild-goose' feature that will blow peoples minds.
For the price of only 599$

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
11.9, still, yes. Original quote was 52cu@1600. As for the memory I’m not so sure the value I was given will suffice myself, but I still believe 16gb. Possibly with 4gb additional for OS. I’m of the personal opinion it will be faster memory than the SX. The SSD will be about 1-1.5gb faster than the SX. The CPU will be on par. These are my predictions.

As I’ve said for a while now, SX will beat the PS5 in terms of flops, but flops are not the only thing that matters. I believe the systems will be on par, no matter how it’s spun tomorrow.

Don’t @ me. I don’t give a fuck. Too ill. But I’ve come this far, I’ll see it through.

oldergamer

My bet is they will only talk about performance being better then ps4 and not mention the
Teraflops. They will avoid direct comparison to the new xbox

I voted 13 over 9 but I think some of the 9s are because there's only two options.

Guess some people played that game as children where you try to guess a number and be as close to the actual number as possible but if you go over you lose automatically.

Top Bottom