• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place Your Bets: Will the PS5 have 9 Teraflops or 13 Teraflops?

How many teraflops will the PS5 have?

• Total voters

-Troid-

Banned
I'm guessing high 9-low 11 at most with more of an emphasis on the SSD having some proprietary enhancement that makes it faster than the XSXs.

Most of the rumors so far have had the system at around 9TF and official statement from Sony before have talked a lot about speed and getting rid of loading times.

Next gen will be XSX slightly more powerful but PS5 slightly loads shit quicker and most people won't care about the difference except people like us.

Last edited:
HYPE!

9OoqEnS.jpg
Why am I not on this train, CJY CJY -san?
boihulK.png

//DEVIL//

The way MS keep saying its the most powerful xbox console and not the most powerful console ever makes me believe Sony has a better hardware. could be also one of the reason why MS went first in terms of reveal since they dont want to annouce the thing too late and weaker . that will spell doom to them.

I also believe Sony tends to go the extra mile when it comes to their hardware ever since the PS2, PSP compared to the DS back then or Vita to 3DS or PS3 to 360 ( aside from it was harder to develop for which made the console seemed a bit weaker in multiplatform games )

Makes me assume at the very least the PS5 is at least same power as Xbox with Extra Ram AT least.

With that being said i really dont care if the PS5 is a bit weaker. I am in it for Sony consoles for their exclusives. same as Switch.

However if the difference was too big in terms of graphics in Xbox favor to the point most of my multiplatform games will take a big hit in games like COD etc, then i might switch to xbox.

Really at the end of the day it depends on the games they gonna offer me. imagine Sony buying the IP silent Hill and Metal Gear Solid... I wouldnt care if the PS5 is a PS4 and half.,, ill buy that. all about the games son.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
veryone in here, have a little bit of perspective please. Gaming is our escape, and we are all blowing off some steam especially with the current global pandemic we are going through.

We should not be insulting each other, or going at each other with personal attacks. If anything, gaming should bring us together on common ground, especially when something can happen to any one of us or our loved ones at any time during this ordeal.

All of this aggression over plastic boxes. Remember, some people don’t have it so lucky.

If you want to be around to partake in the discussion for tomorrow’s reveal, then I suggest everyone back down on the insults and personal attacks.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I don't know. I don't really care all that much to tell you the truth, but I obviously hope for more because why not? I'm not trying to thread whine or whatever it's called, I'm just pointing out games already look really, really fucking good on current hardware.

The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are already still solid on a 4K TV, upscaled or not. Anything more is just gravy as far as I'm concerned.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I think it’ll be 9tf. But I’ll still buy and play it because of the video games themselves from Sony’s amazingly talented studios. But it will be a point of contention for the pathetic system wars fanboys.

And if it is 9.2 TF, Sony has got to be sweating bullets right now, especially if they don’t show any games tomorrow.

Mista

Banned
I’m going with 11 and at the same time I don’t give a damn. The majority of people talking about TFLOPS on here doesn’t even know what it actually does. So yeah, gimme the quite machine and the games. Thank you

Last edited:
The real question is...

Can xbox gaf sleep well tonight?

I mean, I know this sounds wishy-washy of me, but even if he PS5 is more powerful than XsX it won’t be THAT much more powerful (unless it costs 800 bucks or something), and either way the XsX is a certified beast.

Hopefully all gamers be winning next gen

Journey

Banned
Closer to 9 than 13. Sony likely increased their clocks (Probably originally 9.2 like the rumor) in order to bring PS5 closer to XSX.

Last edited:

moneyB

Neo Member
I think Sony analysed what is currently their most fun game and found out many flops it uses.
Then they multiply that number by 5 (PS5).
So PS5 will have 5 times the flops to make all games 5 times as fun.

Markness

Banned
Hope for the best. I hope both Sony and Microsoft push their consoles hardware to the limits, this can only be good for us consumers. GL to both of you guys!

slade

I'll go with 9. Can't see how they can launch consoles like these at 499 or even 599 with XSX type specs unless they are willing to take a loss. Even 9TF at 399 seems a stretch.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It could have 136123789137598719803570193756890 TF and I wouldn't give a flying fuck. Show me the damn games as that is the ONLY thing important to a gaming console.

POTUS

Banned
Please get your expectations down people, for your own sake.

Unfortunately, it will be 8TFs. The overclocking to 2 ghz was a test, but running the gpu at those speeds inside a small enclosed box is extremely noisy, very hot and is simply not sustainable for long term real world use in a wide variety of climates.

But as I stated before, the TF number isn't actually that important. Pushing graphics ever higher isn't whats going to wow the general gaming audience. Creating revolutionary and truly immersive experiences is the next generation of gaming. The PS9 ad was more than just a joke.

1. It has a custom dual channel quad antenna wifi direct chip inside that will wirelessly output to the PSVR2's dual 4K resolution RGB stripe OLED displays (one per each eye to completely eliminate the screendoor effect) at 120hz and with extremely low latency that uses predictive algorithms to decrease latency further.

2. It has custom hardware inside the headset (eye tracking cameras and inside out tracking) that enable foveated rendering so that 9.2TFs and wifi direct bandwidth is sufficient to generate lifelike graphics (since they only have to be rendered in full resolution in the area of the display that lies exactly opposite to the person's fovea).

3. The PS VR2 features haptic feedback glove VR controller uses microfilaments specially designed such that it can perfectly and indistinguishably simulate the feel of touching real human skin.

4. The PS5 has a signficantly faster SSD and higher bandwidth memory than the XSX to make loadtimes a thing of the fast.

These four factors combine to make PS5 a far more exciting device.

Remember how excited the world was by the Nintendo Wii. PS VR 2 and it's Haptic Glove Controllers are going to make the Wii look like a typewriter in the age of computers.

Don't ask me how I know this. I just do. And please dont ask me or start making guesses as to what I do.

Last edited:

Rockondevil

I think between those numbers is more realistic. Probably more towards 13 than 9 but they'll likely have other things to beat Xbox in other ways like maybe a faster SSD.

Top Bottom