• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place Your Bets: Will the PS5 have 9 Teraflops or 13 Teraflops?

How many teraflops will the PS5 have?

• Total voters
9.2 is correct and 10.2 is NOT CORRECT.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that claiming the "PS5 is a 10.2TF console" is essentially a lie.

It requires a GPU clock of 2.23GH to be 10.2GHz and there is NO WAY it can hold that clock for any meaningful amount of time. And I don't mean it can maybe hold that clock speed for only 2 or 3 minutes at a time. It probably can't hold that clock for more than 2-3 SECONDS at a time.

Forget that 10.2TF number, it's just not true.
There are custom parts on it , it's design is not straightforward like the ps4 ,that's the most fascinating thing mentioned by cerny yet.

giphy.gif

There are custom parts on it , it's design is not straightforward like the ps4 ,that's the most fascinating thing mentioned by cerny yet.
I agree that there are custom parts in it.

But what I said is true. The PS5 is not a 10.2TF console.

There is no customization, no secret part that will allow the PS5 GPU to operate at 2.23GHz for anything longer than a brief instant at a time.

The XSX is a 12.2TF console and that's not some stretch. It's 12.2TF at a clock speed of 1.8GHz. This is a clock that can be SUSTAINED.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just curious. I see lots of talk about console gpus hitting that 2 ghz roadblock.

Can anyone tell me why this amount of speed is like hitting a brick wall, which the system can't handle with efficiencies or fans or whatever?

GeorgPrime

Banned
Ok how high are the chances that we still get a PS 5 Pro later? I have the feeling they wont stick to a normal PS 5 forever

Last edited:

mhirano

9.2 is correct and 10.2 is NOT CORRECT.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that claiming the "PS5 is a 10.2TF console" is essentially a lie.

It requires a GPU clock of 2.23GH to be 10.2GHz and there is NO WAY it can hold that clock for any meaningful amount of time. And I don't mean it can maybe hold that clock speed for only 2 or 3 minutes at a time. It probably can't hold that clock for more than 2-3 SECONDS at a time.

Forget that 10.2TF number, it's just not true.
The PS5 IS a 10.2 Teraflops console. That is modern computing concepts.
GPUs from Nvidia and AMD use it, and also Intel CPUs and AMD Ryzens.
All of them have boost modes and are only power/thermal limited. A good cooling solution or a low CPU usage can guarantee sustained GPU boost clocks.
My notebook (Intel+Nvidia) gets more performance if I undervolt the CPU (because of larger thermal headroom).

The PS5 IS a 10.2 Teraflops console. That is modern computing concepts.
GPUs from Nvidia and AMD use it, and also Intel CPUs and AMD Ryzens.
All of them have boost modes and are only power/thermal limited. A good cooling solution or a low CPU usage can guarantee sustained GPU boost clocks.
My notebook (Intel+Nvidia) gets more performance if I undervolt the CPU (because of larger thermal headroom).

I'm sorry but you're just not correct about this.
This isn't just about boost clocks either. Plenty of other CPUs and GPUs have boost clocks that can be SUSTAINED.

There is not a single PC GPU out there that can SUSTAIN a 2.23GHz clock. Not even when water cooled.

Sony claiming a 2.23GHz GPU is borderline lie territory. It's disingenuous of them to claim that and they know it too. Can it "pulse" up t 2.23GHz for a brief instant? Yeah, probably. But nothing more.

I agree that there are custom parts in it.

But what I said is true. The PS5 is not a 10.2TF console.

There is no customization, no secret part that will allow the PS5 GPU to operate at 2.23GHz for anything longer than a brief instant at a time.

The XSX is a 12.2TF console and that's not some stretch. It's 12.2TF at a clock speed of 1.8GHz. This is a clock that can be SUSTAINED.
Maybe it's the new secret weapon for navi 20 from amd that has not been revealed yet , it's part of amd through the history to break new record , that's just part of who they are.

mhirano

I'm sorry but you're just not correct about this.
This isn't just about boost clocks either. Plenty of other CPUs and GPUs have boost clocks that can be SUSTAINED.

There is not a single PC GPU out there that can SUSTAIN a 2.23GHz clock. Not even when water cooled.

Sony claiming a 2.23GHz GPU is borderline lie territory. It's disingenuous of them to claim that and they know it too. Can it "pulse" up t 2.23GHz for a brief instant? Yeah, probably. But nothing more.
AMD Rx5700 XT can achieve 2000+ MHz clocks.
RDNA2 with improved processes can easily go there as long as the thermal solution is good enough.

AMD Rx5700 XT can achieve 2000+ MHz clocks.
RDNA2 with improved processes can easily go there as long as the thermal solution is good enough.

As far as GPUs go, there is a BIG difference between 2GHz and 2.23GHz

There are many PC GPU's that can manage 2GHz, but none that can sustain 2.23GHz even when liquid cooled.

Last edited:

Barakov

Well, I was absolutely wrong on the TFs. It'll be interesting to see how big the difference is in the actual games when the systems release.

Top Bottom