• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 2 Games are running on the XBOX Series S | MVG

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
No Dev mode means no UWP apps on XBox and that's something MS cannot afford.
They still can do blacklist of Apps, you know....it's not exactly rocket science, for this type of apps. Like how is called, same way Anti-virus searching for potential threats...I think is heuristic? So yeah, they don't have to block whole dev mode, this would be sufficient, but I don't want to give them any ideas. Something like that is build in into their "Smart Screen" filter.

Banned
I got GameCube and PSP running reasonably well so far on Series X.

it's really something, and to think that you don't even have to mod your system is crazy tbh.

now I'm waiting eagerly to see if they can get Xbox emulation running!
that way we could just ignore the licensing limitations Microsoft has to work with to get games compatible and just play them through this

Zog

Banned
yes as did the PS4, and theoretically both systems should easily be able to run PS2 and especially PS1 games
I have read that like the PS3 games on PS NOW, you have to stream PS2 games instead of downloading them like you can on the PS4.

Orta

Banned
Is it possible/likely we might get full blown OG & 360 emulation running on the SS? Retro enthusiasts are going to love this machine once word gets out, already I'm viewing it as an emulation box. Be incredible if we could get PS3 stuff on it.

LoL, Sony can produce soap and it will sell. I mean they are basically Apple at this point - they built a cult around themselves.

Remember the PlayStation classic? And PS3/4 had PS2 games that you could buy.

No I think Sony did the math and decided emulation just wasn't worth it. Personally I would rather just download old ISO's for free and play them on a computer.

M1chl

Is it possible/likely we might get full blown OG & 360 emulation running on the SS? Retro enthusiasts are going to love this machine once word gets out, already I'm viewing it as an emulation box. Be incredible if we could get PS3 stuff on it.
There is really no good working OG Xbox emulator. With X360, there is probably no chance outside of what MS is doing, because it's using special part of silicon.

Banned
Remember the PlayStation classic? And PS3/4 had PS2 games that you could buy.

No I think Sony did the math and decided emulation just wasn't worth it. Personally I would rather just download old ISO's for free and play them on a computer.

wasn't worth it does also imply that it would be a lot of work... but it wouldn't.
this is something fans do on the side for free, fans that have no insights to the actual hardware and had to reverse engineer everything and puzzle it together for themselves.

meanwhile Sony and their developers have detailed hardware and API specs for every system + actually professionals hired to do this.

so to assume it would be some sort of challenging task to get PS1 and PS2 running on PS5 is laughable.

even such an early and hacked together build of retroarch on Xbox X|S already has a very high compatibility percentage and very good performance.

on top of that they already have a working PS2 emulator on PS4 and have shown that they have no issue using third party emulators with the PS Classic Mini.

Last edited:

fvng

I purchased many PS1/PS2 games on PSN during the PS3 era, its terrible that they no longer offer a method to play those purchases. They clearly have a functioning PS1 & PS2 emulator that ran on PS3 perfectly, can they just port that code over. Yeesh. I feel like they are not incentivized to do this since it might cut into PSNow's appeal even though the PS2 selection on there is limited.

Last edited:

M1chl

How long can we expect this to last before Sony or Nintendo do soemthing
I mean, there is emulation on Android, if they would hate it so much they would do something againts that already. At least that's how I see that.

Also Jim Ryan does not care, by his own wors about old games.

And most importantly this ability was present on past Xbox One. It just getting exposure now, because machine got more powerfull, but this feature is not new.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Pretty cool but I'm not paying $300 to play PS2 games. I've already got my X and not going to give it up for it either. I'm guessing as these stories get more popular Sony and Nintendo are going to start fighting back. Emulation on the Xbox has been low key up to this point.

Randum

Neo Member
I will be keeping an eye on the stable releases in the future - being able to play Timesplitters on a "modern" console...yes please!

I hope they get N64 games and Goldeneye working properly in the future, if so I might eventually buy one of these if the ability to do this with them is still available. PS2 games look like shit on modern TVs but not through emulation, having some of my favorite games from past gens from various different platforms on a single console would be pretty great. I have emulation on my Vita and it's fantastic, but of course doesn't run anything too taxing.

Top Bottom