• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Showcase 2023 |OT| Show as a Service! (1pm PT / 4pm ET / 9pm BST) (No Spoilers!)

Rate the Blow... Showcase

• Total voters

splattered

Oh yeah forgot I was gonna mention... I noticed Jim Ryan said a line about something something and "delighting players" does he normally use that in interviews? I know that Phil Spencer says it a LOT so sort of felt like a dig at Phil/Xbox to me but maybe not? Haha

Last edited:

boomcrab

It wasn't fine. Sony can and has blown us away many times in the past. This was the E3 season timed "showcase" and it sucked. Opener sucked. Closer should have just been shown as its own separate thing.

We are back to full on cocky Sony and I personally can't be bothered when they're in this state anymore.

There are some in here who have the right idea. I suspect most of them have been around with Sony since 95 or similar like I have. The best way to bring these guys back to mic dropping showcases is to buy an Xbox.

I think I'm going to drop the Playstation and PSVR2 for now and use the cash to get my kid a segway gokart for the summer. If they have their act together by the release of the PS5 Pro I'll revisit them at that time. I've got a killer PC and an Xbox.

If I do this it will be the first time in the almost 30 years of Playstation where I didnt own it.
Lol, this is such an overreaction. Do whatever you want but Sony delivers the games every single generation they've ever had. You should know this by now. One mediocre showcase and you get rid of the console? Then what? They eventually come through as they always do and you buy it again. Let the dust settle a little my friend and marinate awhile.

bender

What time is it?
Got to admit that I find the backlash from Alan Wake being digital only a little strange or rather a little more vocal than I'd have imagined.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Got to admit that I find the backlash from Alan Wake being digital only a little strange or rather a little more vocal than I'd have imagined.
I only buy digital games I plan on playing a long time like say Diablo 4

I wont buy a digital game that is single player that once I beat it just gets deleted

It may not be worth much but I would much rather trade in a game I will never replay than just deleting it

n1SO9mx.jpg
awkward zach galifianakis GIF

bender

What time is it?
I only buy digital games I plan on playing a long time like say Diablo 4

I wont buy a digital game that is single player that once I beat it just gets deleted

It may not be worth much but I would much rather trade in a game I will never replay than just deleting it

I totally I understand the desire and merits of physical, not really arguing against that. Hell, I collect Switch physical but mostly because I don't trust Nintendo's digital strategy. Just a little surprised at the backlash.

Varteras

Gold Member
An embarrassing showcase after making people wait a year and a half. We know damn well they have other games that could have been shown. I mean, great that we're learning about some games coming down the road. But we're now in a position where it's just Spider-Man 2 and Helldivers this year while really knowing nothing about what to expect in 2024. We're barely ahead of what we knew before today.

"Hey! Concord is coming!" Great. What's it like? "It's space sci-fi! Oooooo!" Okaaay. Anything else? "Guns and multiplayer and shit!". Show us a little maybe, since it's coming next year? "Hahahahahahahano." Alright well what about Fairgame$? "Hmmm? Oh the Not Ubisoft Game? Fuck if we know, dude. We just want you to know we bought them for a game and not because we wanna ride a train on Jade Raymond". Awesome...

Alebrije

FairgameZ$Z looks fucking awful. It's like they asked last gen ChatGPT to give them a pitch for a shitty Gen Z GaaS and it spit that out.
This game and the foam Bubble from SE are trash.

Fairgame is a copy of Legions but also is a GAAS so basically isna waste of money and time..Better get the Division 2 that is cheap and its fun. Hope it bombs not because the GAAS but lacks of originality and the premise is stupid..."rob the rich".

The characters, gameplay, premise, dialogs makes you think this game being developed by Ex Ubisoft workers...that have to learned about Legion and UBI trashing formula...

Last edited:

AGRacing

Lol, this is such an overreaction. Do whatever you want but Sony delivers the games every single generation they've ever had. You should know this by now. One mediocre showcase and you get rid of the console? Then what? They eventually come through as they always do and you buy it again. Let the dust settle a little my friend and marinate awhile.

It's been a mediocre 3 years and a forecast mediocre year ahead. Like I said... I'd have usually bought a pro anyway. So I'm potentially checking out for a year or two. I can certainly afford to miss that. I'll sell this console now before they drop the price in favor of a Pro launch.

I've been around. For me... this launch has sucked and I've been the least interested in it that I've ever been. Could be age... but I just don't see any originality in 1st party at all and I'm just flat bored.

And cross gen blows.

LucasBR

I really enjoyed the Spider-Man trailer, although I felt the graphics could be better, can't wait to play with Peter and Miles.

That was the only game that I really enjoyed at the showcase, I was really disappointed with the lack of 1st party game, I really hope to see more in the near future.

Fake

I saw people whining about Elden Ring have an 'easy option' because options are good, but when we talk about have both digital and physical they say fuck physical.

I mean, having options is good? Sometimes a game is so good that I got both physical and digital. I not buying that 'digital' bs. Bluray have a tons of space to store, unlike Switch cartridge.

And you add to that the fact will be Epic Game exclusive? Is there a case of a game being Epic Store exclusive being a sucess? People usually put a red flag.

Yeah spider man 2 looks fine....and I'll be there day one. I loved the first game. What bothered me is this was clearly 30fps too. It just didn't look as good as I expected. Lots of low quality shadowing etc on the effects. Also I think showing dusk is always tough in games. It looked a lot better once they were inside with the lighting.

I think overall, sony deserves to be pulled over the coals by their fanbase here...im not going to accept any hopefuly excuses from their fanbase of, they are waiting for tgs etc.....this was the first playstation showcase in basically two years and it wasnt just lack lustre it was down right atrocious....

Cg trailers galore, no gameplay, all multiplatform games and anything that was gameplay looked to be captured on PC.

Sony literally has nothing for its fanbase for how long? Not even a tease of dates in 2024? How can factions not be here...?

im just blown away now ive had time to sleep on it. This is the worst show in like a decade.

Nah; over the past 10 years the worst gaming event is still the May 2013 Xbox One reveal. The amount of cringe and lack of reading the room that went into that show is legendary. BUT, if Sony's had their closest event to that in terms of getting things wrong, it would be the show they just had yesterday.

While this isn't an excuse, I will say that I feel there were some big 3P reveals missing from that Showcase, and I think a big reason for that is because of Summer Games Fest. Sony (and Microsoft, for that matter) want to work with Geoff and I guess don't want to step on his toes too much with that show, because they ALSO want some attention at the TGAs which are by far the biggest gaming event viewership-wise in the industry.

But that might create some instances of self-sabotaging their own shows just to let Geoff have some content of his own, even throwing some big 1P reveals to his shows that could've otherwise gone to their own. I think that's a real factor here and would at least explain some of the weakness of this PlayStation Showcase.

It doesn't really explain why so many of the 1P teams were still missing, though, particularly for anything non-GaaS. That's even after Herman teased he had seen SSM's current project and was "inspired" by it. Gives some real "I'm more excited for what we didn't show you." Phil energy there, TBH.

For me the show itself is still a 6.5/10, maybe a 7/10 at best, but it's overall the weakest of their Showcases since they started doing these, easily. I'd say there were five things here outright Showcase-worthy: Spiderman 2 (I've warmed to that a bit more and I genuinely think the visuals are mostly great; there are just small details missing or not polished that need to be put in to complete the picture), Phantom Blade 0, Alan Wake 2, Dragon's Dogma 2, AssCreed Mirage, and Helldivers 2. At least all of those showed off some actual gameplay (although all probably on PS5 devkits which, yeah, could likely mean PC for at least a few of them) and looked like main pillar pieces you'd buy a $500 console for primarily.

But it simply wasn't enough to sustain a whole 1+ hour showcase, especially when they're throwing movie trailers in the middle of it. And there was just way too many CG trailers. Hopefully the Xbox Showcase avoids these problems, but MS need to do a few important things unique unto themselves to have a satisfactory showcase IMO and that'll require more than just Starfield and Forza.

SSfox

Also forgot WTF was this tweet was about? What a fucking moron seriously? Clown hyping people for nothing, he's like Phil Spencer clone at this point

gothmog

Gold Member
An embarrassing showcase after making people wait a year and a half. We know damn well they have other games that could have been shown. I mean, great that we're learning about some games coming down the road. But we're now in a position where it's just Spider-Man 2 and Helldivers this year while really knowing nothing about what to expect in 2024. We're barely ahead of what we knew before today.

"Hey! Concord is coming!" Great. What's it like? "It's space sci-fi! Oooooo!" Okaaay. Anything else? "Guns and multiplayer and shit!". Show us a little maybe, since it's coming next year? "Hahahahahahahano." Alright well what about Fairgame$? "Hmmm? Oh the Not Ubisoft Game? Fuck if we know, dude. We just want you to know we bought them for a game and not because we wanna ride a train on Jade Raymond". Awesome...
Who exactly is the people in "making people wait a year and a half"? We had plenty of videos and games released in the last year and a half. Is your real complaint that they called this a showcase? And if so is there something sacred about a "showcase" that I'm unfamiliar with?

I agree fully with the rest. CGI and logo only reveals should be reserved for sequels and not new games.

Fabieter

Who exactly is the people in "making people wait a year and a half"? We had plenty of videos and games released in the last year and a half. Is your real complaint that they called this a showcase? And if so is there something sacred about a "showcase" that I'm unfamiliar with?

I agree fully with the rest. CGI and logo only reveals should be reserved for sequels and not new games.

I mean a showcase contains bigger reveals. No shots against indies but more than half the games werent big.

Nowadays some people just whip themselves into insane hype frenzies (encouraged by the usual suspects, game show hosts, influencers, and the like. You know who I'm talking about), and then they come out disappointed no matter what it's showcased.

The show wasn't incredible, but it wasn't terrible either. It had a lot of cool games and some real bangers.

And I'm the jaded one... 🤔
It's not being jaded to take issue that it was way too indie heavy and there weren't enough AAA drops. Where's the beef? Are the devs sleeping?

gothmog

Gold Member
Yea u will be pleased if the second Hand market is dead and I have to buy from the console stores directly. What a wondeful future.
Any future where I have the option to not possess literally tons of music, movies, tv, and games in order to enjoy them is a welcome one IMO. I broke that habit years ago and to be honest a mostly digital world has been pretty good.

I'm not against physical media but having worked at gaming, music, and movie stores it is extremely wasteful.

Yeah I agree, Rift Apart definitely leans into the art style. Also Rift Part not targeting pseudo-photorealism (in the way that Spiderman is) because it's also fantasy creatures helps it a great deal.

But like you said, those games were released years ago so I was kinda hoping they were "the tip of the iceberg". Turns out maybe this level of visuals is all we should really expect. Of course, there's every chance that Naughty Dog, Guerilla, and Santa Monica come out with some amazing-looking games but I can't imagine those dropping for at least a few more years (which leaves me thinking "OK er... what now?".

Then again, the Alex Jones-esque tinfoil hat man in me is screaming "Sony is just holding back until/to see if the Microsoft ActBliz deal falls through!!!!". Plus, I guess it makes business sense for Sony not to show off its big guns until PS5 sales experience a noticeable slowdown.

Having had more time to think on it and seeing the higher-quality footage, IMO the main issues with Spiderman 2 visually are things that more time in the oven can fix. Basically, smaller detail touches on certain environment textures, volumetric particle effects, and ways characters and objects interact with fluid body models (such as the water). The lighting itself looks great, main character models look great (some of the enemy models could use a bit more detail and variety though), the environments themselves look great.

But there's just some little things that would help sell the semi-photorealism a long way if they were present. Some dust in the large open area of the warehouse that you can faintly see when at the right angles and rays of light break through windows up at the top. Making the dead fish on the floor look messier, like a savage actually ate them. More moistness and dew in the parts of the warehouse where Miles was going past clustered machinery, and maybe with some busted pipes present leaking gas creating nice visual effects as you pass through.

It's really in these smaller things WRT the visuals that are going to make or break the impression of pseudo-photorealism not just for games like Spiderman 2, but all games with similar visual ambitions, going forward. I think Insomniac can obviously do it, just a matter of more time to implement them. They clearly have the talent to do so, because even with what they've released, there are parts in the gameplay where it looks almost 1:1 with an actual MCU blockbuster film in terms of visual effects and fidelity, IQ, and that's definitely helped out by the art direction and lighting, and color palette (which would tie into the art direction).

Gave it a D.

The only thing I can think of is this:

AAA titles are taking 4-6 years (AT BEST) to develop and in 2020 when COVID truly hit Sony's titles were in Year 5 or 6 of that 6 year development window. All of them for the most part. Think of it. Bluepoint, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Housemarque, Guerilla, SSM. All had games nearing the end of development. COVID delayed some of them, maybe 1 year or so, and we get bangers from 2020 to 2022. But the consequences of these delays is the well-oiled pipeline Sony has developed at their studios suddenly is thrown off. What before was a machine that would transition from new release to immediately incubating and developing the next AAA title was thrown for a loop by COVID.

Sony studios are in the 2020 Xbox timeline. All their studios just coming off projects or just starting projects and only CGI to show to the fans. Or silence like the showcase. Year 1 or 2 of the development at most of these studios and now Sony is forced to gobble up third-party games more so than usual. If you look at the timelines of their major studios and line it up, it's the only thing that makes sense. They're 2-3 years away AT BEST from multiple mainline studios dropping titles in the same year like how Horizon and GoW did it last year.

Bend Studios: 2019 Days Gone (5-6 years from that is 2024-2025) Next year at best!
Bluepoint Games: 2020 Demon's Souls (5-6 years from that is 2025-2026)
Naughty Dog: 2020 TLOU 2 (5-6 years from that is 2025-2026)
Sucker Punch: 2020 Ghost of Tsushima (5-6 years from that is 2025-2026)
Housemarque: 2021 Returnal (5-6 years from that is 2026-2027)
Guerrilla Games: 2022 Horizon FW (5-6 years from that is 2027-2028)
Santa Monica: 2022 GoW Ragnarok (5-6 years from that is 2027-2028)

This explains Sony buying studios with promising titles that might be ready for 2024 or 2025. Haven is 2024. Concord is 2024. Probably a combination of they liked what they saw and they know their other studios aren't in that timeline. Because look at the landscape. At best we see a new Bend game in 2024, Bluepoint and Naughty Dog with a new game in 25 (Naughty Dog doing Factions in 2024 which was supposed to be a part of TLOU2 makes this even MORE unlikely), and then its 2026 for studios like Sucker Punch, Guerilla, SSM. If Housemarque is truly going to dip their toes into the AAA landscape, we're looking at 26 or 27 from them.

Third party and new studios must fill these holes. Hence Firesprite and Firewalk or whatever. And Haven. And Bungie (multiplat).

The final word of possible hope: Sequels. GoT2 shouldn't take Sucker Punch 6 years like GoT took coming from Infamous in 2014. You would hope maybe Guerilla doesn't need five years like they did for HZD in 2017 to HFW in 2022, blame some of that on COVID and pray the third game takes four years. But with those hopes comes realities. If we want Bluepoint and Housemarque to dip their toes into their own AAA IP creation, that means 5-6 years from them now. Bluepoint 2020 Demon's Souls means we have to give them time to cook and expect 2025 or 2026. Same goes for Housemarque. Returnal was 2021. If we want them to dip their toes into creating their own AAA game then we have to understand they won't be ready until probably 2026 or 2027. That's how AAA development works now.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

we all watched this shit yesterday? looks the same.

4k isnt going to make it look like the matrix demo. you will need better asset quality, better character models, better lighting, better physics, better simulations, better everything. more pixels wont save the day.

something they shouldve learned when they targeted native 4k with ratchet.

feynoob

Banned

4k isnt going to make it look like the matrix demo. you will need better asset quality, better character models, better lighting, better physics, better simulations, better everything. more pixels wont save the day.

final product might be different than this footage, considering it takes time to make these gameplay.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
final product might be different than this footage, considering it takes time to make these gameplay.
yes, it will be downgraded. You almost never get upgrades. and when you do, they are so minor you need DF to point them out.

Days Gone, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, Spiderman, Horizon FW, and UNcharted 4 were all downgraded. Only Horizon Zero Dawn, and Ratchet were upgraded though not by much.

The asset quality is mostly there; some building and environment textures could be improved but that should come over the next few months. Main character models look pretty good, though maybe more fabric details in the spandex part of the outfits could be useful. Background character models could be improved, some enemy grunt models could be improved too.

The lighting is actually very good, so I don't get that complaint. It's probably one of the visual elements that seems very far along, there are parts in the outdoor fights that have almost (good) superhero film lighting and color grading. Water physics could be much better, especially with body collisions into the water, and I guess that'd tie into simulations like fluid body models, etc. There could be more volumetric particle effects too, like faint dust in the air of the warehouse that interact with the light, more moist/dew on the suits after they emerge from within the water, moist/dew in damp parts of the factory where there's a lot of heat, etc.

And while native 4K could be questionable, it does do really well for image quality/IQ. Things do look very crisp. Though, if they could get close to that same IQ with lower native & reconstruction, I'd take that if it means more finer visual details & touches graphically.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
yes, it will be downgraded. You almost never get upgrades. and when you do, they are so minor you need DF to point them out.

Days Gone, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, Spiderman, Horizon FW, and UNcharted 4 were all downgraded. Only Horizon Zero Dawn, and Ratchet were upgraded though not by much.
hope they dont downgrade it.
The thing i hated the most about spiderman was the AI.

Top Bottom