• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro devkits arrive at third-party studios, Sony expects Pro specs to leak

Which is dumb, for a lot of reasons. Either the consoles will be a lot more expensive or not all that impressive. I think we are headed torwards the end of heavily subsidized hardware on top.
There was an argument next gen was before 2028 without a pro but with it happening 0 chance it’s before 2028

welshrat

The pro existing guarantees the ps6 isn’t coming in 2026 and near impossible for 2027
I just don't think that is true. 2027 seems very likely given the PS4 pro timeline.

I will be more than happy getting 3 years or of a pro, and I imagine many others too. If next box is 26 they won't wait another 2 years

Last edited:
I just don't think that is true. 2027 seems very likely given the PS4 pro timeline.

How?

PS4 = 2013-2016
PS4 Pro = 2016-2020

It lasted 4 years as the top Sony console

PS5 Pro should be released 10 months from now....

The math is simple

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I think nextgen starts well before 2028
I am willing to be it doesn't.

That not to say Xbox may not release a new box(s) before 2028, but as it stands, I think now more than ever we can say the next-gen doesn't start until Sony says it does.

I am expecting a PS6 in 2028. And even if MS releases a new box in 2026, that box will be sharing games with the current XS consoles and the PS5, and as such Sony can just take their time and ride out the PS5+PS5pro till 2028. I mean we were getting cross platforms games well past 3 years from the start of this new gen, I don't see it being any different next gen.

That not to say Xbox may not release a new box(s) before 2028, but as it stands, I think now more than ever we can say the next-gen doesn't start until Sony says it does.

I am expecting a PS6 in 2028. And even if MS releases a new box in 2026, that box will be sharing games with the current XS consoles and the PS5, and as such Sony can just take their time and ride out the PS5+PS5pro till 2028. I mean we were getting cross platforms games well past 3 years from the start of this new gen, I don't see it being any different next gen.

100% agreed

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

This 100 percent. Ps6 in 2028.

Xbox may release something in 2026 but what that looks like, who knows. No idea what happens with their stuff anymore.

As for consoles, Sony will be the defector on when "next gen" launches. We will see what that is.

I wonder if xbox really improves the ps6 versions of games versus whatever they have.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I mean if PS6 is dealing with cross gen PS5 games what would make that a next gen box?

If Xbox manages a Zen 5 console that can bump current games to higher rez and better frame rates I would call that next gen imo

I will be more than happy getting 3 years or of a pro, and I imagine many others too. If next box is 26 they won't wait another 2 years
huh? the ps4 pro was 2016 compared to the ps5 2020 following that logic it would be pro 2024 6 2028 but i think could be even longer. 2026-2027 only makes sense if the pro isnt hapening

yeah this thread is bizaare how are we discussing a pro with trust while also believing a ps6 is coming in 2026???? i can maybe see 2027 if sony is desperate to rush but 2028 is when it makes sense and 2029 if things get delayed

Bernardougf

Gold Member
VL3S6qD.gif

I don't plan to get divorced. That's why.
Best fucking decision of my life... just priceless 👌🏻

In the words of the great Mel Gibson
"Freeeeedoooooommm"

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I mean if PS6 is dealing with cross gen PS5 games what would make that a next gen box?

If Xbox manages a Zen 5 console that can bump current games to higher rez and better frame rates I would call that next gen imo
The same games with just better rez and frames would flop harder than the series x

And by that time PS6 could have 1 or 2 generations newer hardware and what does xbox do at that point?

Bernardougf

Gold Member
1yY6RzN.jpg

Which specific avatar bet did you lose?
He lost the bet he made on Xbox... after 20 years Phil sended a big FUCK YOU from the couch while playing Diablo 4 and Sara Bond was happily opening her copy of Persona 3 on twitter euphoric to finally being able to play something good for a change.

Woopah

I can very easily see the successor coming 2028, with PS5 sales peaking in 2024 and then entering a gradual decline.

Jesb

i want a $700 pro and them go all out i think 700 is the max limit for a premium console before it becomes unappealing to console players and pc players
Not gonna happen. That would be around $950 Canadian. There not gonna make this significantly a bigger price than PS5. That would be $350 more than a base PS5. It’s not gonna be that much better than a base unit to justify that kind of price.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

A “next gen Xbox” is just a steam machine that can play Xbox games with BC

So it doesn’t really count imho

Dorfdad

Gold Member
No idea honestly
Series X needs be their base console going forward. The series X is just to restrictive for developers. It seems the NEXTBOX will be the power base and the handheld one will be the S tier. Sadly means game will still be limited to the least common denominator uses they have some trick up their sleeve.

Maybe the textbox is a handheld with an EGPU dock something we been asking Nintendo to do.

Sethbacca

Series X needs be their base console going forward. The series X is just to restrictive for developers. It seems the NEXTBOX will be the power base and the handheld one will be the S tier. Sadly means game will still be limited to the least common denominator uses they have some trick up their sleeve.

Maybe the textbox is a handheld with an EGPU dock something we been asking Nintendo to do.
All they'd have to do is eliminate the parity clause. Make the handheld a AA and streaming device and restrict AAA titles to the higher end hardware.

King Dazzar

A CPU upgrade is all it takes for a new gen?

Zen2-5 isn’t all that massive in the grand scheme of things
Tbh, I'm not sure I even class the Series S as next gen, even though people do. I mean its less capable in some regards than the X1X was.... But I'd have thought if a new Xbox is Zen 5 and a major power increase over the Series X, then to me it probably is. Thing is PlayStation defined it more with adaptive triggers and haptics too. Its all a touch subjective really.

farmerboy

If Xbox stays in hardware and goes early on next gen, I don't think there'll be a pro. Skip pro and join MS on early gen.

Edit: then again, market dominance might make em stay put, mature development pipeline, etc. Then two/ three years into "next gen" they introduce PS6.

Last edited:
Not gonna happen. That would be around $950 Canadian. There not gonna make this significantly a bigger price than PS5. That would be $350 more than a base PS5. It’s not gonna be that much better than a base unit to justify that kind of price.
im saying make it 700 so you can actually go all in on specs

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If Xbox stays in hardware and goes early on next gen, I don't think there'll be a pro. Skip pro and join MS on early gen.

Edit: then again, market dominance might make em stay put, mature development pipeline, etc. Then two/ three years into "next gen" they introduce PS6.
I think they are too deep into the Pro to skip it as this point

midnightAI

Why would Sony budge? Why follow MS (who are in last place)? They'll stick to their plan, having offset hardware releases 'may' benefit both anyway (not great for the consumer mind)

Top Bottom