• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 reportedly won’t have its own Xbox Smart Delivery alternative

ManaByte

Gold Member

Instead, Sony will leave such upgrade programs to the discretion of third-party publishers, an SIE spokesperson reportedly told Japanese publication GameSpark (translated by VGC).

According to the publication, an SIE spokesperson said it “plans to be as flexible as possible in supporting any publishers choosing to provide upgrade plans.”

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It’s called Cross Buy, they have had it since the PS3 and always left it up to them.

Just like Microsoft is leaving it up to the third parties as well. You can’t force them, but I guess you can financially assist them through marketing deals and the like.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
It’s called Cross Buy, they have had it since the PS3 and always left it up to them.

Just like Microsoft is leaving it up to the third parties as well. You can’t force them, but I guess you can financially assist them as well through marketing deals and the like.

Doesn't Smart Delivery support retail games as well though.

I know cross buy allows you to have access to multiple versions of a digital game. In fact I was happy to find out my copy of Journey from PS3 was cross buy with PS4 version. Same with some SNK Vita games being cross buy on PS4.

The thing is I've never seen a cross buy retail gane. Pop in a PS3 disk inside a PS4 to be able to have access to a PS4 version. Do you have any examples of this is you are implying Cross Buy is the same as Smart Delivery which has this feature.

JLB

Banned

Just like Microsoft is leaving it up to the third parties as well. You can’t force them, but I guess you can financially assist them as well through marketing deals and the like.

Smart Delivery is more than that, it's a technical solution for companies wiling to offer cross buy. My understanding of this is that third parties should deal with this on its own.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Cross buy doesn't support disc games and it gives you two separate SKUs. So it's different but "mostly" the same.

Edit: Apparently cross buy does support discs? News to me. Has anything supported it?

Last edited:
Smart Delivery is more than that, it's a technical solution for companies wiling to offer cross buy. My understanding of this is that third parties should deal with this on its own.
Smart delivery is just some jumped up pr marketing gimmick and a fancy way of saying they have cross buy.

you really think a 3rd party is going to give free upgrades on Xbox but charge on ps5?

Mr Moose

I know cross buy allows you to have access to multiple versions of a digital game. In fact I was happy to find out my copy of Journey from PS3 was cross buy with PS4 version. Same with some SNK Vita games being cross buy on PS4.

The thing is I've never seen a cross buy retail gane. Pop in a PS3 disk inside a PS4 to be able to have access to a PS4 version. Do you have any examples of this is you are implying Cross Buy is the same as Smart Delivery which has this feature.

That's the difference with smart delievry. Smart delivery basically gives you one sku for your game vs a different sku each version. Plus smart delievry works with retail games.
(a) when you purchase a PlayStation®3 game disc, you will be entitled to receive the PlayStation®Vita digital version of the same game (also known as Cross-Buy content);
(f) when you purchase a PlayStation®4 game disc, you will be entitled to receive the PlayStation®Vita and the PlayStation®3 digital versions of the same game (also known as Cross-Buy content),

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
How do you say that about the exclusive Smart Delivery...
It's MS and dumb name for something which they called "Enhancement patch" before. But in all fairness, with PC direct X is kind of why it was possible.
Open GL fine, but it was pretty limited in support and also MS was part of that consortium too. Vulkan is more like Direct X.

Mr Moose

That's news to me it supports disc. I've never heard of a disc game coming with cross buy support tho. Must not be a lot of titles?
It's the same with Smart Delivery, the publishers decide. EA will be the ones that will probably say "fuck off, you have 2 weeks to upgrade".

Sony does not give a damn about BC, it's been pretty clear with all the spinning and dodging questions.
This isn't BC, its the opposite of that, plus PS5 has BC with PS4...
Smart Delivery gives you the Xbox Series X version of the game.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If you buy The Last OF Us on PS3 do you get the PS4 version?

You didn't get the MCC Halo 3 version owning the 360 one either at the time.

Did they probably take advantage of the situation due the architecture shift? Sure. Again, as did MS with MCC. But as this new gen is now all under the same ecosystem, and BC will be there for both, I would imagine the same steps will follow.

ethomaz

Banned
The good thing about Smart Delivery (the actual smart part IMO) is the cross-saves, so you can continue where you left off from your Xbox One to your Series X.
I have no idea if this feature applies to the Sony cross-gen games.
It applies.

An example... I brought Sound Shape for PS3 and got Platinum.
After I used the Cross-buy to download these games on Vita and PS4 and the cross-save to pop up all trophies on Vita and PS4.

So I have 3 Platinum when I just played on PS3.
You need to choose to sync the save... that I found good because that way it won't replace your local save without you know.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
Not sure about the Sony yet but it’s safe to assume first party games that launch on both like say Halo Infinity will utilize smart delivery. So buy Halo Infinity for the Xbox One S/X, if you pop it into the Series X console, you’ll get prompt to download the series X version.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The good thing about Smart Delivery (the actual smart part IMO) is the cross-saves, so you can continue where you left off from your Xbox One to your Series X.
I have no idea if this feature applies to the Sony cross-gen games.

I've never had more than one Sony platform in my house at a time so I can't comment. The cross save from PC to Xbox is nice when it works but not ever game supports it.

Vasto

You didn't get the MCC Halo 3 version owning the 360 one either at the time.

Did they probably take advantage of the situation due the architecture shift? Sure. Again, as did MS with MCC. But as this new gen is now all under the same ecosystem, and BC will be there for both, I would imagine the same steps will follow.

So Sony has not been already doing Smart Delivery.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It applies.

An example... I brought Sound Shape for PS3 and got Platinum.
After I used the Cross-buy to download these games on Vita and PS4 and the cross-save to get all trophies on Vita and PS4.

So I have 3 Platinum when I just played on PS3.

People don't realize it's the exact same thing, just different marketing names.

Sony uses a traditional name that almost all entertainment uses, MS made a new name with the whole "smart" phone type linguistics and are selling this to people as if it's new and inventive. That is good marketing, sly, but good.

So Sony has not been already doing Smart Delivery.

aNd nEiThEr hAs mICrOsOfT with your same semantics.

Read the damned thread, many examples have been provided. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Last edited:

It was rare, but existed.
PS All Star on PS3 supported Cross buy on retail. You had the digital license of the PSVita version on the bluray.
Iirc also Ratchet & Clank Q Force had cross buy for the retail PS3 and digital Vita version.
I suppose it didn't had too much success back then bc it became rarer and rarer

ethomaz

Banned
It was rare, but existed.
PS All Star on PS3 supported Cross buy on retail. You had the digital license of the PSVita version on the bluray.
Iirc also Ratchet & Clank Q Force had cross buy for the retail PS3 and digital Vita version.
I suppose it didn't had too much success back then bc it became rarer and rarer
MS is basically trying things now that Sony tried without enough success (it not increased sales of these titles) a decade ago.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Smart delivery is just some jumped up pr marketing gimmick and a fancy way of saying they have cross buy.

you really think a 3rd party is going to give free upgrades on Xbox but charge on ps5?

Xbox does all the technical work on their end. Sony leaves everything up to the developer. They’re two totally different services. So yeah, if the developer has to put the effort into making the game work and enhanced on a platform vs the other, they’re gonna charge for the work they’ve done.

Last edited:

Vasto

People don't realize it's the exact same thing, just different marketing names.

Sony uses a traditional name that almost all entertainment uses, MS made a new name with the whole "smart" phone type linguistics and are selling this to people as if it's new and inventive. That is good marketing, sly, but good.

aNd nEiThEr hAs mICrOsOfT with your same semantics.

Read the damned thread, many examples have been provided. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

LMAO, nobody is saying Microsoft has already been doing Smart Delivery. You read the damn thread. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ethomaz

Banned
Xbox does all the technical work on their end. Sony leaves everything up to the developer. They’re two totally different services. So yeah, if the developer has to put the effort into making the game work and enhanced on a platform vs the other, they’re gonna charge for the work they’ve done.
I believe it is up to developer on MS side too.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

What "technical work?" It's no different than now, when you buy and X1X and the game uses that profile (or a Pro over the PS4). Guess what, Cyberpunk... will just be the XSX upgrade profile, just as the X1X is the upgrade profile of the base XB1. You are all falling for some silly shit.

Lmao even Xbox has said if you buy cyberpunk on xbox1 you can play it through BC on series x but you will have to wait for CDred to release an updated version of the game for series x..
Keep falling for that PR

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
LMAO, nobody is saying Microsoft has already been doing Smart Delivery. You read the damn thread. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

They have been doing it ever since they launched the Xbox One X. When you download a game it checks if you're on an OG Xbox One, Xbox One S, or Xbox One X and there are different asset packages for all of those. You can see those in the debug screens to see which ones are installed.

xbox-4k-assets-how-to-recore.png

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Lmao even Xbox has said if you buy cyberpunk on xbox1 you can play it through BC on series x but you will have to wait for CDred to release an updated version of the game for series x..
Keep falling for that PR

That’s a separate sku, it’s completely different. Control is doing the same thing. They’re probably going to bundle DLC and add features not supported in the base game aka RTX. Microsoft isn’t going to reprogram the game for them, but they’re going to make sure it runs at a stable 60fps, or native 4K resolution if it doesn’t.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

My goodness.

They have been doing it ever since they launched the Xbox One X. When you download a game it checks if you're on an OG Xbox One, Xbox One S, or Xbox One X and there are different asset packages for all of those. You can see those in the debug screens to see which ones are installed.

xbox-4k-assets-how-to-recore.png

Just like the PS4 to the PS4Pro as well. "Mid Gen Refresh" profiles.

Like I said, you are falling for a marketing term for what is essentially what they have always been doing. To make it easier to understand, just look at the XSX as a super beastly refresh in the same ecosystem, same for the PS5 for the "cross gen" games.

Last edited:
MS is basically trying things now that Sony tried without enough success (it not increased sales of these titles) a decade ago.
The fact that Vita wasn't a successful platform sure didn't help. On PS4-PS5 people would care, but I'm sure that every developer and publisher is free to offer cross buy titles.
I just think that Microsoft is actually paying incentives to some developers, while Sony seem more reluctant to do so.

Top Bottom