• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 reportedly won’t have its own Xbox Smart Delivery alternative

Vasto

They have been doing it ever since they launched the Xbox One X. When you download a game it checks if you're on an OG Xbox One, Xbox One S, or Xbox One X and there are different asset packages for all of those. You can see those in the debug screens to see which ones are installed.

xbox-4k-assets-how-to-recore.png

Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X are the same console so that is how it had to be.

Vasto

My goodness.

Just like the PS4 to the PS4Pro as well. "Mid Gen Refresh" profiles.

Like I said, you are falling for a marketing term for what is essentially what they have always been doing. To make it easier to understand, just look at the XSX as a super beastly refresh in the same ecosystem, same for the PS5 for the "cross gen" games.

Nope, PS4 and PS4 Pro are the same console.

I am not falling for anything. :messenger_beaming:

K' Dash

What is it with PS fanboys that every time someone mentions smart delivery they get salty AF?

Show me where is Sony's statement that I won't have to buy a PS5 remaster of TloU2 and Ghost of Tsushima.

Cause I know that I will be buying Cyberpunk on Xbox One X once and I'll play the Xbox Series X version as soon as I buy the console.

I think if Sony had a system in place for this they would have already said something, now they're just looking bad.

Also patting Sony in the head for being anti consumer and charging twice for games you already bought is corporate boot licking at it's finest, we should all be supporting smart delivery so the other players implement their own version.

Last edited:

Vasto

What is it with PS fanboys that every time someone mentions smart delivery they get salty AF?

Show me where is Sony's statement that I won't have to buy a PS5 remaster of TloU2 and Ghost of Tsushima.

Cause I know that I will be buying Cyberpunk on Xbox One X version once and I'll play the Xbox Series X as soon as I buy the console.

I think if Sony had a system in place for this they would have already said something, now they're just looking bad.

Also patting Sony in the head for being anti consumer and charging twice for games you already bought is corporate boot licking at it's finest, we should all be supporting smart delivery so the other players implement their own version.

Its actually funny to see them 1st had just blindly go on the offensive because Microsoft is doing something that Sony aint doing and something that they should be doing. Instead they should just say that we hope this is something that Sony will do with PS5 but maybe they just have not announced it yet.

Last edited:
You didn't get the MCC Halo 3 version owning the 360 one either at the time.

Did they probably take advantage of the situation due the architecture shift? Sure. Again, as did MS with MCC. But as this new gen is now all under the same ecosystem, and BC will be there for both, I would imagine the same steps will follow.

Halo games are backwards compatible on Xbox One. If I purchase the games on Xbox 360 I can play them on Xbox One without owning the Masterchief collection

Cause I know that I will be buying Cyberpunk on Xbox One X once and I'll play the Xbox Series X version as soon as I buy the console.

It's weird. What is the objective of being a fanboy for a faceless corporation that sells you a mass-produced plastic box? It's not like Sony is actually the creative force behind those titles that are released for it. Console fanboyism is a marker of low intelligence if you ask me.

I think these people don't understand the technical meaning of smart delivery... it only means you'll download the right software package for the machine you own... Even MS doesn't guarantee all third party titles (EA being the case I know of a company that embraces it only partially on the top of my head) will make use of it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I guess, but doesn't make sense because people will hold off buying the game on PlayStation because consumers don't know.

There are 110+ million PS4 gamers out there. We forum fare are the 1% of the 1% of gamers. People are buying that game on PlayStation. It will at the very least be BC, but I can bet (as long as there is no shady marketing deal to prevent it), the same "upgrade patch" will apply there too.

Last edited:
I mean, Sony might just find that their existing cross-buy initiative is good enough compared to the seamless experience with Xbox One to Xbox Series X. Although, I would absolutely need them to clear up these things about cross buy as well:

- That my game saves will seamlessly transfer over between systems as it does and will on Xbox
- That I will be able to use the physical disks for the PS4 game and play it on the PS5 and use a PS5 disk on the PS4 (not sure how it will work on Xbox, but am assuming that it will just be a general "Xbox" on top rather than "Xbox One" or "Xbox Series" for Smart Delivery or Series X game will just be on regular blu-ray.
- That any first party games that are cross gen or ported over to PS5 will support cross buy automatically with no extra hassle.
- That publishers will be able to add support for cross buy for existing purchases (IE I buy Cyberpunk digitally when it comes out for PS4 and when CDPR launches the PS5 port that will automatically download and I will be able to resume where I left off)

In every single comments section to a post where smart delivery is mentioned I see people say "lol something Sony has had since 2013 will also be on the Xbox now" and saying that cross-buy is the same thing, but Sony is still yet to really confirm any of these major points that I have and I really do not want to have to buy my PS4 games again on PS5 to play the best versions of it because I know I wont need to for Xbox Series X

ethomaz

Banned

You know it is a PlayStation thread lol

You will play Cyberpunk PS4 in PS5 too from what I know.

Last edited:
Leaving it to 3rd-parties might have some benefits, but it also means a lot of them can just choose to not provide such an option. Looking dead at EA and Activision here. Rockstar, too.

The real question is if it's better centralized or decentralized. I think centralization here is preferable, but a decentralized implementation means publishers might come up with their own upgrade programs that incentivize competition among them and could even influence a centralized approach in aspects to standardize.

Right but in Sony's case you are limited to needing to initially purchase the physical disc copy. You can't buy the digital copy and receive the same benefits, going by what you've linked here.

I imagine they will make augmentations to allow that, however.

Last edited:
Cross buy doesn't support disc games and it gives you two separate SKUs. So it's different but "mostly" the same.

Edit: Apparently cross buy does support discs? News to me. Has anything supported it?
SQx9xKJ6aXa3w4BZzgUy3h.jpg

When Cerny talked about backwards compatibility there's something called "PS5 Native Mode".

I'm guessing this is a way to patch a game to work natively on the PS5. This way a developer can release a patch that would upgrade the game from the PS4 version to the PS5 version since it's taking advantage of the hardware on a native level and not through emulation.

In theory you should be able to pop in Cyberpunk (for example) and then download a patch that upgrades it to the PS5 version.

I don't believe Sony has any policies that will stop that from happening.

Trogdor1123

Honest question, when has that happened on PlayStation where it didn't happen on another console?

jakinov

Smart Delivery is more than that, it's a technical solution for companies wiling to offer cross buy. My understanding of this is that third parties should deal with this on its own.
The devs are still going to create two versions of the game. The devs just give the Xbox Series X version to Microsoft and Microsoft either will do a delta update or replace your Xbox One version with the series X version on your storage. Most services that offer cross-buy do it digitally, so it's just a trivial IF platform IS series_X THEN download this. For digital it's not that interesting. What's new/interesting is that they will let you do this with a retail copy. So when you go to install they will either replace or update your game files if there's a better version. It's not very complex of a system, but it's great for consumers, Sony could do it relatively quickly but they probably don't care and rather you buy two copies.

Mr Moose

Right but in Sony's case you are limited to needing to initially purchase the physical disc copy. You can't buy the digital copy and receive the same benefits, going by what you've linked here.
(b) when you purchase a PlayStation®3 digital game, you will be entitled to receive the PlayStation®Vita and the PlayStation®4 digital versions of the same game (also known as Cross-Buy content);
(e) when you purchase a PlayStation®4 digital game, you will be entitled to receive the PlayStation®Vita and the PlayStation®3 digital versions of the same game (also known as Cross-Buy content);
This?
It's up to the publishers who actually support it, I would imagine EA and Activision giving a time limit on their support for it.

Doesn't Smart Delivery support retail games as well though.

I know cross buy allows you to have access to multiple versions of a digital game. In fact I was happy to find out my copy of Journey from PS3 was cross buy with PS4 version. Same with some SNK Vita games being cross buy on PS4.

The thing is I've never seen a cross buy retail gane. Pop in a PS3 disk inside a PS4 to be able to have access to a PS4 version. Do you have any examples of this is you are implying Cross Buy is the same as Smart Delivery which has this feature.
Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale PS3 disc is croos buy with PSVITA.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Yes you can. The majority of my Cross Buy games were all digital via the PS+ giveaways. When they gave away the PS4 version, and it had CB, it gave you the Vita and PS3 versions as well, and vise/versa.

Tons of them actually.

That is how some months you got up to 4 PS4 games or more, since they would give you the 2 from each category. And if the there were cross buy games in the Vita or PS3 giveaways, you got the PS4 version. There were some months where it made for 6 PS4 games instead of the standard 2 due to this.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

The devs are still going to create two versions of the game. The devs just give the Xbox Series X version to Microsoft and Microsoft either will do a delta update or replace your Xbox One version with the series X version on your storage. Most services that offer cross-buy do it digitally, so it's just a trivial IF platform IS series_X THEN download this. For digital it's not that interesting. What's new/interesting is that they will let you do this with a retail copy. So when you go to install they will either replace or update your game files if there's a better version. It's not very complex of a system, but it's great for consumers, Sony could do it relatively quickly but they probably don't care and rather you buy two copies.

The Last of Us PS3 and The Last of Us Remastered PS4 were two different versions of a game. As were Halo 3 on the 360 and Halo 3 in the Master Chief Collection on XBO. Full on remasters of games for a new generation.

We're really not going to get that PS4 to PS5 or XBO to Series X. They don’t need to significantly recode the game for the new platform. This is more like getting a PS4 Pro patch or being One X enhanced, just better.

Smart delivery is just fancy marketing for not very much at all.

You don't understand English?
You sure can type it, but you still make no sense.
25d65f6e09e5e8e6f4c12d15a86a92bed25adb59236e58adaa3676697255f538.jpg

Not your kind of English for sure... I wonder where you got the idea that Sony was not a major factor in the creation of the games on their plastic box.... I mean, I get the whole idea of not paying allegiance to a corporation (or a person for that matter), but there are reasons people attach themselves to a brand, the games Sony make are among the top reasons to like their products.

You sure can type it, but you still make no sense.
25d65f6e09e5e8e6f4c12d15a86a92bed25adb59236e58adaa3676697255f538.jpg

Not your kind of English for sure... I wonder where you got the idea that Sony was not a major factor in the creation of the games on their plastic box.... I mean, I get the whole idea of not paying allegiance to a corporation (or a person for that matter), but there are reasons people attach themselves to a brand, the games Sony make are among the top reasons to like their products.

You think Sony execs are actually sitting down and whiteboarding these games, developing them, writing the scripts, etc? They are just the money, just like Microsoft is the money for its own studios.

Smart delivery is just some jumped up pr marketing gimmick and a fancy way of saying they have cross buy.

you really think a 3rd party is going to give free upgrades on Xbox but charge on ps5?
Xbox will do upgrades in house for developers that won't do it on their own. They went on a whole marketing push for their tech that adds HDR to games that didn't have it prior. So we may actually see 4k hdr games on the XsX but the base game only on the PS5 since it's done internally for some games.

Xbox does all the technical work on their end. Sony leaves everything up to the developer. They’re two totally different services. So yeah, if the developer has to put the effort into making the game work and enhanced on a platform vs the other, they’re gonna charge for the work they’ve done.
I think it might be MS fault for the lack of understanding, or just people downplaying it for console wars sake, cause the concept of the upgrades being done internally doesn't seem hard to understand. They need to show some OG xbox games like Ninja gaiden or something running 4k hdr to show how their smart delivery upgrades are done internally.

I wish Microsoft would make clear that this isn't for every single title but of course they aren't they are acting like it's universal. Yes they listed some publishers who will support it but they didn't list everyone and they just barely did that the other day.

Kerching kerching kerching $$$
Look at this post reply.....
It’s called Cross Buy, they have had it since the PS3 and always left it up to them.

Just like Microsoft is leaving it up to the third parties as well. You can’t force them, but I guess you can financially assist them through marketing deals and the like.
And then look at this post reply......

See the difference, folks?

Yes you can. The majority of my Cross Buy games were all digital via the PS+ giveaways. When they gave away the PS4 version, and it had CB, it gave you the Vita and PS3 versions as well, and vise/versa.

Tons of them actually.

That is how some months you got up to 4 PS4 games or more, since they would give you the 2 from each category. And if the there were cross buy games in the Vita or PS3 giveaways, you got the PS4 version. There were some months where it made for 6 PS4 games instead of the standard 2 due to this.

If that's the case, I stand corrected. Clarification's appreciated!

Maybe the article is thinking Sony won't have an equivalent because they might be shifting their 1st party over to just PS5 within the year or so exclusively, so there wouldn't be much a reason for them to have such a feature given games like the next Horizon won't have PS4 (or especially Vita) versions.

But like some others were saying, 3rd parties might roll out their own upgrade programs, which is sensible. All of that said, I'm still glad to see MS is adapting something similar, and in their case for the next year post XSX-launch they have a reason to enforce it on their end since they will still be supporting the X and S XBO consoles for that time period.

It's essentially a win for gamers that Sony and (now) MS will have their own essentially free upgrade programs. They might incentivize 3rd parties differently, but aside from that they might seem to have similar mindsets on this when it comes to giving customers some ecosystem OoL features.

I wish Microsoft would make clear that this isn't for every single title but of course they aren't they are acting like it's universal. Yes they listed some publishers who will support it but they didn't list everyone and they just barely did that the other day.
They did already they said they will do it for all first party studios wile the 3rd party studios it is up to that studio to decide if they will support smart delivery or not so if that 3rd party studios does not support it it means they are anti consumer and want the gamers to rebuy their games over again like GTA 5 and Skyrim it pretty simple really.

Last edited:

Stuart360

They have said its up to 3rd party devs whether they chose to use it, multiple times.

You think Sony execs are actually sitting down and whiteboarding these games, developing them, writing the scripts, etc? They are just the money, just like Microsoft is the money for its own studios.
Maybe, to some extent. However, you still need to have people in the corporate ladder who have the will and power to manage your creative teams well, be flexible enough to delay a game or outright cancel it when necessary. You need to give your studios the right mandates, while giving them enough leeway so that they don't become " the halo" or "the Gears" studio... So who handles the money makes a pretty big difference, because nobody is "just the money".

"Smart Delivery" feels like another corporate tactic selling you air in a bottle. I was under the impression that backwards compatibility titles will have native enhancements that comes with the hardware like a PC upgrading a GPU. Someone please educate me on this.

jakinov

The Last of Us PS3 and The Last of Us Remastered PS4 were two different versions of a game. As were Halo 3 on the 360 and Halo 3 in the Master Chief Collection on XBO. Full on remasters of games for a new generation.

We're really not going to get that PS4 to PS5 or XBO to Series X. They don’t need to significantly recode the game for the new platform. This is more like getting a PS4 Pro patch or being One X enhanced, just better.

Smart delivery is just fancy marketing for not very much at all.
It's still two different versions of the game compiled and will likely ship on different SKUs retail or have separate entries digitally. Whether or not they are remasters is just semantics as it depends on when it comes out. For games with simultaneous release cross-gen, both are mastered at the same time; whereas if they release now and on next-gen later it's a remaster. Either way there's a different version of the game that gets compiled and distributed. How much work it took to get from one gen to another one is probably negligible and really not a huge concern for a consumer. It doesn't really change that you bought a current-gen version of a game and a next-gen upgraded version is or will be available. Consumers are more interested on the upgrade part than how much work just to get the base game running on the new platform.

It's a fancy way (with a dumb name) of telling you that you get software entitlement to a better version.

Funny thing is people keep asking if Sony is going to offer this, the fact that they as far as we know aren't going to be releasing many if any cross-gen first party games anyway means it would be a bit stupid of them to try to advertise it as a special feature they way MS is with it's trailer and constant tweets when there wont' be any 1st party cross-gen games to begin with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom