• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Streaming Preview Started Today

Spyxos

Gold Member
Saw it in the other forum.

What I find very interesting is that Xcloud and Ps5 streaming both use Microsoft's Azure servers, but Xbox's own cloud servers only run at 1080p and Sony offers up to 4k.

XQGTUqz.jpg

jeiQLHy.jpg

You set the max resolution from the activity card: 720p, 1080, 1440p, 2160p.
Games seem to load your cloud saves directly.
Ps Plus Premium Members only?

Supported games:

GoW:R
Horizon Forbidden West
Fortnite,
Fall Guys
Destiny 2
Retrunal
Demon's Souls
Death Stranding
Sackboy A Big Adventure
Destruction All Stars
Fall Guys

Trials:
Demon Slayer
RE8

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Mmm. How about we get remote play to not be a big piece of shit before we worry about useless cloud crap that nobody sane will ever use.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Wait, so you can stream your owned PS5 games, only on PS5. That's bizarre.

Why not let people use their PSN accounts to stream over a web browser as well, or make it a part of the remote-play app ?
Digital games. Well, you don't have to download them. And is still in beta and access seems to be limited. Looks certainly different in 1-2 years.

Why not let people use their PSN accounts to stream over a web browser as well, or make it a part of the remote-play app.
Knowing Sony, the probably want to prevent people from sharing accounts and games.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
With the upcoming Project Q. It's just a matter of time before you can stream PS games from that system without the need of your PS5, but directly from the cloud. They really haven't revealed all features from the Project Q remote play device.

They might have it ready with the launch of Project Q.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

With the upcoming Project Q. It's just a matter of time before you can stream PS games from that system without the need of your PS5, but directly from the cloud. They really haven't revealed all features from the Project Q remote play device.

It’s a bingo

Mr Hyde

It's a dann shame Sony aren't making PS streaming compatible with PC handhelds. I wanted to stream PS5 to my ROG Ally but it doesn't recognize the controller. What a waste.

Rayderism

Not that I'd actually use the streaming feature for anything more than curiosity and comparisons, but I wonder what minimum network speed you'd need for 4K streaming through PSN.

Also, I wonder if once this beta becomes a full public release and PS5 game streaming is available to all PS+ Premium members, will the streamed PS5 games be playable for people with only a PS4? I mean, that could cause a decent boost to PS+ Premium memberships if it did.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

We'll see if they really want that. Playing PS5 games w/o the need for a PS5 doesn't really sound like something Sony would be keen on, but that's just me.

Tripolygon

Banned
It’s great to see Sony working in silence; a complete opposite to their direct competitor.
It's really refreshing to be honest. They talked about their initial plans in 2019 and then went silent working behind the scenes. It's good to see their plans come to fruition and Its only a matter of time before Project Q can stream PS5 and PS4 games through the streaming service. The is the first console cloud streaming service to support 1440p and 4K resolution and up to 120fps. iirc.

SenkiDala

Only from PS5 ? I'm not a fan of cloud gaming at all (since the quality is still average and will remain like this for many years) but streaming from on PS5, a game I own, it's... a funny idea. I don't see any reason to use this except to save so disk space but that's still a shitty reason. I won't use it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Oh, no...the horror. How the hell will ps4 owners be able to stream games made for the ps5?

The Kid Mero What GIF by Desus & Mero
No one said it was a horror, lighten up.

And maybe this will be on PS4; I suspect it won't be for strategy reasons, despite technically being quite feasible.

No one said it was a horror, lighten up.

And maybe this will be on PS4; I suspect it won't be for strategy reasons, despite technically being quite feasible.
So it is technically possible, but why would Sony want to make ps5 games avavilible to ps4 owners when ps5 games are best enjoyed because of the hardware benefits of the ps5? PS4 owners playing Rachet and Clank on a HDD would suffer worse than pc users. Maybe I dont understand streaming tech enough, but this doesnt sound like a compromise playstation would make.

JaksGhost

Why not let people use their PSN accounts to stream over a web browser as well, or make it a part of the remote-play app ?
We’re currently testing cloud streaming for supported PS5 games – this includes PS5 titles from the PlayStation Plus Game Catalog and Game Trials, as well as supported digital PS5 titles that players own. When this feature launches, cloud game streaming for supported PS5 titles will be available for use directly on your PS5 console. That means as a Premium member, it’ll be easier to jump into your favorite games without downloading them first onto your PS5 console. Our goal is to add this as an additional benefit to PlayStation Plus Premium as part of our ongoing efforts to enhance the value of PlayStation Plus.
Your own games, trials, and titles from the PS+ catalog.

It’s great to see Sony working in silence; a complete opposite to their direct competitor.
Well the ability to stream games you own on your PS5 to your PS5 only is hardly something they'd really be shouting from the rooftops given the competition offering in streaming.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So...guess its safe to say Sony finished their PS5's in data center rollout.....or are about to be finished....

:pie_thinking:

But why not just play them natively? Without being able to stream them via the remote play app this is pretty useless.
No need to download every game from your library or any game that can be streamed.

Since PlayStation Stars rolled out, I've been installing games I normally wouldn't play just to do the campaigns. Streaming to complete a campaign is hit or miss but still. When streaming works, its great.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member

Yepppp!! I just said something similar yesterday on here. Project Q is a test device for a full scale cloud based handheld console. I’m going to stand by that.

Tripolygon

Banned
Right I see that, just perplexed that you can ONLY do this on a PS5.
Something to do with being a beta test but who knows who makes all these decisions on platform test launch. PS3 streaming started on PS3 first then expanded to other devices. PS4 started on PS4 first then expanded to other devices. PS5 starting on PS5 first then i assume will expand to other devices.

Last edited:

Would 100% make the Q a day one purchase.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Something to do with being a beta test but who knows who makes all these decisions on platform test launch. PS3 streaming started on PS3 first then expanded to other devices. PS4 started on PS4 first then expanded to other devices. PS5 starting on PS5 first then i assume will expand to other devices.

Project Q, should have this as well and not just be a remote play device. That would make it a more relevant device.

Stop acting as if this isn’t the first time you’ve seen a streaming service start with this first step, especially in beta form. It already includes the streaming of some of your owned games which is something others have promised in the past, but have yet to release.

calm down, lol.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Stop acting as if this isn’t the first time you’ve seen a streaming service start with this first step, especially in beta form. It already includes the streaming of some of your owned games which is something others have promised in the past, but have yet to release.
Exactly, lol.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Only from PS5 ? I'm not a fan of cloud gaming at all (since the quality is still average and will remain like this for many years) but streaming from on PS5, a game I own, it's... a funny idea. I don't see any reason to use this except to save so disk space but that's still a shitty reason. I won't use it.

Nah, they have not revealed everything yet from that device. You will be able to stream from the cloud.

Top Bottom