• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I think the PS5 reveal event deserves 10/10?

ToadMan

I like Angry Joe, one of the best. Very genuine, although noob when it comes to gaming skills :)

What I like about his channel these days is there’s the 4 of them, they’re different characters and they’re not hero gamers (well Del is ok I guess - he seems to take the harder games on).

To me it’s like watching what the “average” person gets from games.

Oh and they still get hype - they haven’t become cynical about everything.

And the death stranding review was hilarious 😂

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What I like about his channel these days is there’s the 4 of them, they’re different characters and they’re not hero gamers (well Del is ok I guess - he seems to take the harder games on).

To me it’s like watching what the “average” person gets from games.

Oh and they still get hype - they haven’t become cynical about everything.

And the death stranding review was hilarious 😂

He's my best game channel, mostly for fun and honest opinions. I don't watch reviews before game, I build my thoughts prior and avoid every minor spoiler by not watching reviews. But I really enjoyed most of his videos, funny guy.

BGs

Industry Professional
Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online

0% interest. I rate it already as 4/10, one of the shittiest open world car driving, on foot gameplay animation. The game has everything, that's why most kids love it, but it's like cheap, low budget furniture store that has shit racing and driving, shit gun fight, shit pool and arcade games, shit flight. Rockstar is great with narrative although the story as I finished it has plenty of cringy, cheap jokes. I liked the GTA4 story and protagonist much, much more, probably all the previous ones in that regard.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: Awesome!

PaintTinJr

Good morning (9:51am here)

Well, going to the event I only expected to like around 2-3 games max, and I was amazed by so many interesting titles with original ideas! Most PS5 only games were native 4K, and looked very impressive. Let's get into them:

NOTE: Interest percentage is personal interest in a game, nothing critical. More like potential preorder/buy.

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

90% interest. Looks wonderful in native 4K, like all (most?) others shown. Liked the prior game, and this is most likely a spin-off like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

0% interest. I rate it already as 4/10, one of the shittiest open world car driving, on foot gameplay animation. The game has everything, that's why most kids love it, but it's like cheap, low budget furniture store that has shit racing and driving, shit gun fight, shit pool and arcade games, shit flight. Rockstar is great with narrative although the story as I finished it has plenty of cringy, cheap jokes. I liked the GTA4 story and protagonist much, much more, probably all the previous ones in that regard.

Project Athia (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

100% interest. Looks like a pure potential of what to expect from a worthy PS5 next gen game. The gameplay visuals, although stunning looking, had the assets that are slightly rough and might leverage UE5 later on.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. The game looks CGI! Wonderful, lots of chaos, amazing visuals and the regular interesting gameplay and story-telling.

Stray (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

80% interest. This game looks strange, not sure but gives me strange feelings like Limbo game and Journey, and seems to have something creative behind it.

Returnal (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

70% interest. Horror games aren't my type, but looks action horror which is not bad to try, and I'm all in for some sci-fi shit.

Destruction AllStars (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Wonderful game! Brings back memories of Twisted Metal and Destruction Derby back in PS1, with a flavor of Fortnite-like, and Rocket League. I think this will potentially be Sony's next big thing. Detailed destruction, on-foot interaction when your car destroyed so you can pick up another car. Lots of potential customization both visually and tactically!

Sackboy A Big Adventure (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Loved and bought all LittleBigPlanet games and spent endless ours building things there! Would love more Sackboy! Glad Sony went smart here and didn't let him disappear with the likes of LBP games on hold right now after Dreams.

Oddworld Soulstorm (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

70% interest. Mostly for nostalgia, I remember how creepy it was during the PS1 era, found in the demo free disk inside PS1. Puzzle solving and funny themed.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

100% interest. MAN! This game looks insanely good! One of the best games shown in the reveal so far! Can't wait to dive into it's charming world! Rivals Ratchet and Clank in terms of CGI quality graphics.

Goodbye Volcano High (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

50% interest. Looks strange, gives me Life is Strange vibe, and I love that one a lot. Still not sure about it, it's not clear enough.

GhostWire: Tokyo (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

60%
interest. I'm not into horror games that much, but this looks like action and fun, might give it a try.

JETT: The Far Shore (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

70% interest. Strange looking game, but I'm into space and exploration. Small game as it looks, but seems like a good one.

Godfall (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

70% interest. Looks like a good game overall, interesting fight styles. Might give it a try.

NBA 2K21

0% interest. Let's skip this, I'm a football man (AKA soccer). Used to enjoy some baseball and other sports during PS1 era and before, but not much now.

Gran Turismo 7 (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Finally, a complete version after years. Not into circuit racing but won't heart to play some of the most played car games in my childhood and through the years. There is some slight ladder effect in some very few parts of the trailer, probably for being pre-alpha? Not sure, but better anti-aliasing would help.

Solar Ash (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

60% interest. Looks like a nice game, not sure though. Might pick it up and try it.

Demon's Souls (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

50% interest. Looks great, but I'm not a souls fan. Might give it a try.

Resident Evil Village

0% interest. Looks like a good game, but not for me.

DEATHLOOP (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

90% interest. Looks like a wonderful, fancy shooting game with lots of challenging and punishing consequences. I'll get it!

Little Devil Inside (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

90% interest. Looks very intriguing! Would love to try it out!

Horizon Forbidden West (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Preordering the most expensive digital copy available! One of my favorites!

Bugsnax (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

0% interest. SKIP.

Astro's Playroom (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Gonna preorder it when available and then play the older VR version on the next PSVR2!

Hitman III

10% interest. The last game was shit with insanely stupid AI. So far this doesn't look good enough.

======

Then comes the console and accessories reveal! I was shocked! Wonderful, sleek, thin design! Very futuristic, didn't see it coming! I would say the design deserves around 9/10 overall, I love it! Gonna get all those accessories, especially the Pulse 3D wireless headset!

This is all reflective of my own flavors/opinions. I hope it wasn't too long.

NOTE: Watch the trailers on a 4K screen, as the stream was bad quality:

With a night's sleep on it - my 7/10 for the event is probably too high, despite agreeing with you about the games- as I dislike the console and controller design so much, I'm seriously considering waiting for the PS5 redesign. I would have gone all the way to £750 for a pre-order before the reveal.

The disc-less console was the most worrying part. It shows Sony's 4k and 8K tv strategy is being undercut by a digital only PlayStation stratedgy (IMHO), because disc is the only way to get highest fidelity content to a TV without bitrate issues, and them promoting a console that doesn't dovetail with best movie delivery and reinforce game ownership - for their sharing parody on PS4 -shows me they aren't putting technical excellence first, anymore. It also makes me think a redesign or gen-following won't even provide a disc drive option, which means all the lip service about backwards compatibility is only for digital purchase, and only in a system where they control the use of the game, after the sale. If they want a disc-less future, then they should adopt a practice of letting gamers rip games - like they were forced to adopt with their music business,

If the console is £350 with the drive, then replacing it at the earliest opportunity with a better redesigned model is still cost effective IMO, but such an ugly router/ipod/iPhone inspired box is a tough sale to me.

I'm really hoping they notice the marmite response to their design and release a V-model design in parallel at £100 more for people like me.

FeiRR

Banned
With a night's sleep on it - my 7/10 for the event is probably too high, despite agreeing with you about the games- as I dislike the console and controller design so much, I'm seriously considering waiting for the PS5 redesign. I would have gone all the way to £750 for a pre-order before the reveal.

The disc-less console was the most worrying part. It shows Sony's 4k and 8K tv strategy is being undercut by a digital only PlayStation stratedgy (IMHO), because disc is the only way to get highest fidelity content to a TV without bitrate issues, and them promoting a console that doesn't dovetail with best movie delivery and reinforce game ownership - for their sharing parody on PS4 -shows me they aren't putting technical excellence first, anymore. It also makes me think a redesign or gen-following won't even provide a disc drive option, which means all the lip service about backwards compatibility is only for digital purchase, and only in a system where they control the use of the game, after the sale. If they want a disc-less future, then they should adopt a practice of letting gamers rip games - like they were forced to adopt with their music business,

If the console is £350 with the drive, then replacing it at the earliest opportunity with a better redesigned model is still cost effective IMO, but such an ugly router/ipod/iPhone inspired box is a tough sale to me.

I'm really hoping they notice the marmite response to their design and release a V-model design in parallel at £100 more for people like me.
What are you getting at with discless console being unable to deliver higher quality? The drive is there only to deliver media in a cheaper way for places with poor network infrastructure like parts of Americas or Africa. There are no other differences to the platform like in case of Lockhart. You have a choice so use it. I don't want to be limited to the digital library either and I don't have a UHD BD anyway so disc version for me anyway.

snir6590

The show was great, a decent 8/10.
I really dont get people, wtf did you expected ?
Gow 2?
Bloodborne 2 ?
TLOU 3?
10 new IPS?
Get you shit together and be more realistic, it was great from start to finish.
The presentation also was great, and the console reveal was epic.

Eanox

The great thing about the show is it started with a bang, Spider-man, GT7 and R&C. Then just non-stop games.
You have Returnal, Sackboy and Destruction allstars. The interesting games like Kena, Little Devil Inside and The anna purna games.
Then 3rd party games. Re village, death loop and Hitman.
Bluepoint with Demon’s Soul and the finale game Horizon then bam The PS5.
There’s a ton games shown so this is a great presentation as Jim Ryan said a glimpse of PS5.

We haven’t seen the other games yet so if PS5 will launch worldwide and not this part only then we might see the launch titles for Japanese and Asian audiences in September.

sircaw

Banned

Well, going to the event I only expected to like around 2-3 games max, and I was amazed by so many interesting titles with original ideas! Most PS5 only games were native 4K, and looked very impressive. Let's get into them:

NOTE: Interest percentage is personal interest in a game, nothing critical. More like potential preorder/buy.

90% interest. Looks wonderful in native 4K, like all (most?) others shown. Liked the prior game, and this is most likely a spin-off like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

100% interest. Looks like a pure potential of what to expect from a worthy PS5 next gen game. The gameplay visuals, although stunning looking, had the assets that are slightly rough and might leverage UE5 later on.

100% interest. The game looks CGI! Wonderful, lots of chaos, amazing visuals and the regular interesting gameplay and story-telling.

80% interest. This game looks strange, not sure but gives me strange feelings like Limbo game and Journey, and seems to have something creative behind it.

70% interest. Horror games aren't my type, but looks action horror which is not bad to try, and I'm all in for some sci-fi shit.

100% interest. Wonderful game! Brings back memories of Twisted Metal and Destruction Derby back in PS1, with a flavor of Fortnite-like, and Rocket League. I think this will potentially be Sony's next big thing. Detailed destruction, on-foot interaction when your car destroyed so you can pick up another car. Lots of potential customization both visually and tactically!

100% interest. Loved and bought all LittleBigPlanet games and spent endless ours building things there! Would love more Sackboy! Glad Sony went smart here and didn't let him disappear with the likes of LBP games on hold right now after Dreams.

70% interest. Mostly for nostalgia, I remember how creepy it was during the PS1 era, found in the demo free disk inside PS1. Puzzle solving and funny themed.

100% interest. MAN! This game looks insanely good! One of the best games shown in the reveal so far! Can't wait to dive into it's charming world! Rivals Ratchet and Clank in terms of CGI quality graphics.

50% interest. Looks strange, gives me Life is Strange vibe, and I love that one a lot. Still not sure about it, it's not clear enough.

60%
interest. I'm not into horror games that much, but this looks like action and fun, might give it a try.

70% interest. Strange looking game, but I'm into space and exploration. Small game as it looks, but seems like a good one.

70% interest. Looks like a good game overall, interesting fight styles. Might give it a try.

NBA 2K21

0% interest. Let's skip this, I'm a football man (AKA soccer). Used to enjoy some baseball and other sports during PS1 era and before, but not much now.

100% interest. Finally, a complete version after years. Not into circuit racing but won't heart to play some of the most played car games in my childhood and through the years. There is some slight ladder effect in some very few parts of the trailer, probably for being pre-alpha? Not sure, but better anti-aliasing would help.

60% interest. Looks like a nice game, not sure though. Might pick it up and try it.

Resident Evil Village

90% interest. Looks like a wonderful, fancy shooting game with lots of challenging and punishing consequences. I'll get it!

100% interest. Preordering the most expensive digital copy available! One of my favorites!

0% interest. SKIP.

100% interest. Gonna preorder it when available and then play the older VR version on the next PSVR2!

Hitman III

10% interest. The last game was shit with insanely stupid AI. So far this doesn't look good enough.

======

Then comes the console and accessories reveal! I was shocked! Wonderful, sleek, thin design! Very futuristic, didn't see it coming! I would say the design deserves around 9/10 overall, I love it! Gonna get all those accessories, especially the Pulse 3D wireless headset!

There is so much to like in their show, so much variety as well, i personally did not like the bug thing at all but for kids i suppose its a dream come true.

Gave it some thought last night when i went to bed and to list all the positive things will take me all day but to list the two negatives its pretty quick.

I was not happy with the GTA5 bullshit at the start . I did not like that at all, that crap went on for way to long. I understand that rockstar probably paid for the entire event last night with funding by showing that clip but come on. I get that it's a cash cow, its just not for me.

Next it Rachet and clank. this is one of my most favourite of games to look forward to next gen.
I think they went over board on showing the rift technology. The game, the visuals, everything just screamed next gen but you don't have to convince me that changing rifts 50 times in 2 minutes is awesome. I felt it almost distracted from how amazing the game was. I know they want to show the world just how incredible their console and their ssd is but damn calm down a bit lol, it was like a blinking mage on speed in some of the scenes.

Other than that, if your a ps5 fan, you have tones to look forward to and just think about what they are not showing.
The future looks Fantastic for Sony

PaintTinJr

What are you getting at with discless console being unable to deliver higher quality? The drive is there only to deliver media in a cheaper way for places with poor network infrastructure like parts of Americas or Africa. There are no other differences to the platform like in case of Lockhart. You have a choice so use it. I don't want to be limited to the digital library either and I don't have a UHD BD anyway so disc version for me anyway.
Sorry, forgot to proof read. The word 'video' should have been in front of 'content'- obviously delivery method has no impact on game fidelity unless it is slower, as optical most certainly is slower than the SSD :)

ZywyPL

Banned
16gnae.jpg

Honestly, we saw more of those blue/white/black themed transition animations than actual gameplays, if that's a 10/10 for you then I don't know what to say... But I see by your posts you're still at the point of falling for CGI, cut-scenes and bullshots, we all have been there, but luckily sooner or later you'll learn and grow out of it. Not to mention graphics mean shit if the game isn't fun/enjoyable to actually play it. You you'll eventually learn that as well.

There were quite a bunch of interesting games obviously, I think everyone will be easily able to pick at least 2-3 titles that interest him, but bottom line is, absolutely nothing shown yesterday screamed "THIS IS NEXT-GEN!", which is what Ryan promised not so long ago. Most of the games will be on PC, and even the exclusives like GT7 don't look like they couldn't run on PS4, to say politely. I've made a more detailed post in another thread about that if you're interested:

TL;DR - this is going to be a really good generation as oppose to current-gen junk consoles with their low-mig range GPUs and crappy Jaguar CPU. But I fully understand why many people don't consider the upcoming consoles a generational leap as we are used to, we can even argue that's what the current consoles should've been offering from day one, except in 1080p instead of 4K. And I think it's very safe to say that anyone with a strong PC wasn't impressed at all, like, we have a topic with people wondering if they will be able to play next-gen games at all, while it turns out some of us are already set for entire generation with their current rigs.

The most interesting/important part of the show was that they finally showed the console itself (with again, mixed feelings), I was starting to fear we won't see it this time as well, but they left that for the very last minute, the only unknown left now is the price, but I was fully expecting they'll leave that for later.

PS. And I certainly haven't seen anything worth calling it "a game changing paradigm" which was spammed to death since March 18...

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with 10/10 rating.Barely any talking,showed lots of diverse games,cute games,original games,games that are major blockbuster games.I can’t believe that people say in a negative way,oh look an PS3 game now on PS5 how great.What Nonsense is that?First of all Demons Souls is one of the best games and rpgs ever created the father and mother of all souls like games.And after more than 15 years it gets remade for the first time,this is not final fantasy or so where you have 5 different iterations of every game.The Show was amazing,it is beyond me how anyone who loves video games can dislike a show with so much diverse and interesting great games.Of course not every game is for everyone and not every games has a 100 million dollar budget.What did people expect?If Sony would have showed all the games they have in this show,then people would complain later because they don’t have to show anything new.Overall a great show simple but well made.The introduction of the PS5 at the end was really great.

With the announce of GTA5, I am waiting for Skyrim :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Actually It was nice. Even I consider buying PS despite not having one since PS2

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

I think it could have used more extended gameplay, but beyond that it's an amazing commitment to next-gen.
A lot of these games basically look like nothing else on the market, ran on actual hardware, and showed what next-gen will actually mean. I was floored by Ratchet and Clank, Spider-Man, Demon Souls, GT7 and HZD2; any single one of these would have made a really good conference.

While their E3 2015 might have been more surprising, in terms of games' selection this is their best show I've seen from them the whole gen.

sublimit

Banned
They should have skipped all the cross gen games IMO. This was supposed to be a PS5 presentation that would have showed the PS5's capabilities. Half of those games were types of games that we have been playing for years on current gen consoles.

Ascend

I liked Kena and Project Athia the most.
Ratcher & Clank looked great. They were definitely using the new tech there.
Horizon II Forbidden West looked good, as expected
I'm not a Basketball guy but the graphics of NBA2K21 were quite good. Not that I would ever get it.

The rest was very meh to me. Although I must say, the graphics of Demon's Souls were awesome.

Last edited:

Cyborg

85-90 score.

It was just great and what impressed me was the variaty of games they showed. They didnt bother with traditional bullshit like CoD, Battlefield, Fifa etc.
My biggest dissapointment was GT7, it was the same like GT2,3,4,5,6. The game is just not evolving.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
nobody is doing anything at 240fps. are you crazy?

The producer of Gran Turismo is saying, you might try reaching him and asking him personally.

“Rather than a spatial resolution that you’re talking about, I’m more interested in the advancements we can make in terms of the time resolution. In terms of frames per second, rather than staying at 60 fps, I’m more interested in raising it to 120 fps or even 240 fps. I think that’s what’s going to be changing the experience from here on forward.”

“I think, display resolution-wise, 4K resolution is enough.”

pasterpl

6/10 Because only 2-3 games looked interesting to me, I would love to see another racer (arcade) and proper FPS (killzone?resistance?)

Vawn

Banned
It was an your's worth of drop the mic moments. Absolutely incredible. The wait gets hard starting now Luckily, The Last of Us Part 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Paper Mario and Cyberpunk will make the wait easier.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

98% of my purchases are digital, preorder/bought like 140+ and 180+ overall with some PS Plus games. I didn't buy a physical game since late 2014. I think they're studying the the market pretty well. I would still buy the one with the disk, just to be in the safe side.

I liked the design, but I'm not into white products, I like them black. I personally think that they've done a great job there.

Barnabot

it the first reveal event i ever watched| (actually switch was my first one) and it was meh to me. if you guys think it was a 10/10 reveal event then i'm glad i never watched the previous ones.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I would give it a solid 8.5. B+

Variety of games shown, design shown, some "next gen looking" moments for sure

I loved the variety! I'm satisfied overall because now I know the future would be insane!

6/10 Because only 2-3 games looked interesting to me, I would love to see another racer (arcade) and proper FPS (killzone?resistance?)

Fair enough. I think more details to be shown later, as Jim Ryan said. I went into it with low/tempered expectations.

It was an your's worth of drop the mic moments. Absolutely incredible. The wait gets hard starting now Luckily, The Last of Us Part 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Paper Mario and Cyberpunk will make the wait easier.

Man, can you imagine what lays ahead! We are going for something great! Unless economy collapses or we get hit by a meteorite.

it the first reveal event i ever watched| (actually switch was my first one) and it was meh to me. if you guys think it was a 10/10 reveal event then i'm glad i never watched the previous ones.

Most reveal games are meh, this one is pretty solid so far. Man I had like 1 year of relying on BF4 ealy on PS4.

60%

NBA 2K21

Resident Evil Village

0% interest. SKIP.

Hitman III

======

Aggregate of your game interest score is 0.664 so you gave the overall rating of the games shown less than a 0.7 based on your interest in them.

I tend to agree. 4-5 really stood out to me, the rest seemed like a lot of filler titles that were for specific audiences.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Aggregate of your game interest score is 0.664 so you gave the overall rating of the games shown less than a 0.7 based on your interest in them.

I tend to agree. 4-5 really stood out to me, the rest seemed like a lot of filler titles that were for specific audiences.

I went expecting to like 2-3 games, ended up liking 11 with hesitant takes on some others.

I went expecting to like 2-3 games, ended up liking 11 with hesitant takes on some others.
Agreed.

Kena caught me by surprise, very intrigued by that one, but the Destruction Allstars and Sackboy were misses to me.

Also, felt like a lot of platformers of the games shown. Seemed like an odd genre to have such a heavy amount of titles for.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Agreed.

Kena caught me by surprise, very intrigued by that one, but the Destruction Allstars and Sackboy were misses to me.

Also, felt like a lot of platformers of the games shown. Seemed like an odd genre to have such a heavy amount of titles for.

They've felt that they've neglected the platformers and family-friendly games really badly this gen. I like those kiddo games myself.

And the Destruction AllStars is one of the most anticipated games for me for online with friends! I like goofy, non serious MP games like Uncharted 4. Those games are relaxing and fun to play competitively after hard work day, BF and COD are too serious, good but can exhaust me within one hour if you play with a shitty team, or even when winning.

And Kena :messenger_smiling_hearts: :messenger_heart: nuff said.

Last edited:

Vol5

I think in retrospect it was quite good. Not 10/10 but still very decent with a wide range of games catering to most tastes.

thelastword

Banned
Great OP Bo. Just caught up on the trailers.

Demons Souls, Project Athia, Horizon 2 looks bonkers. I absolutely love to see Kena in that lineup. Housemarque's game looks great as well. GT7 is a no brainer really, those graphics and that lighting plus reflections look amazing.

Personally Astro needs to get similar reviews to LOU 2, it looks amazing and that team is ready for the platforming throne after the first game tbh.....Godfall just looks to do everything amazingly graphically. That small team impresses me immensely with their visuals, arts and physics....Just FYI, lots of other games interest me like Pragmata and Ghostwire....

Old Retro

I could see someone giving the event 10/10 if they work for Sony PR or advertising department and their boss is watching their social media posts.

no specs

no word of backwards compatibility

no price

2/10 event

Top Bottom