• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Streaming Preview Started Today

vivftp

Right I see that, just perplexed that you can ONLY do this on a PS5.

This is just an initial public test to some users who are trying out the PS5 beta firmware, this isn't a full rollout of the new feature. It makes all the sense in the world that an initial test would occur on Sony's own flagship platform where they would have everything locked down the most.

Additionally, Jim Ryan did say a couple of months ago that Sony were planning an "aggressive" cloud strategy that'd be revealed in the coming months. There are quite a few possibilities on what that may entail:

- Q Lite very well may play into the cloud initiative beyond the already stated remote play function. Since Q Lite runs on Android that opens up the door to the next one...
- A mobile app (at least for Android) very well could be coming as well, which opens up the door to the next one...
- Sony Bravia TVs run on Android so the introduction of an Android app opens the possibility to putting this on Bravias. Mobile and TV streaming was part of the original PS Now plan, so they may be finally ready to get everything out the door.
- Sony already allows PS+ Premium streaming on PC, so no doubt that'd also be enhanced with the move to PS5 hardware in the cloud
- The PS4 of course allows cloud streaming, so having the possibility of PS4 owners streaming PS5 games via the cloud (both PS+ Premium games and digitally owned games) is very intriguing. For example if a PS4 owner bought a game that's PS4/PS5 cross-buy and it was available for cloud streaming then they could conceivably play the PS5 version of their game via streaming to get the superior version via the cloud versus playing the lesser version locally.
- We know from an earlier PS Blog and from this initial test that Sony are going to allow cloud streaming of select digitally owned games, which means any of the above platforms I mentioned could be included. Of course we have to wait for official info, but the possibility is there.
- We had some leaks a couple of years ago that Sony was planning to expand cloud streaming to more countries like India, but those plans got put on hold due to the pandemic. They may finally be ready to continue their expansion so the possibility of more countries being added is there with a new rollout.

A lot of assumptions there, but nothing that's really outside the realm of possibility given what we know and the statements of an "aggressive" cloud strategy. We probably don't have much longer to wait since Jim Ryan said we'd hear more in the coming months, and that was a couple months ago.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I did, but it didn't work that great unfortunately, the quality of the stream was pretty awful 😔 would much prefer an official solution from Sony.
You may have to tweak some settings, especially the audio bitrate, but Chiaki normally works pretty great! I wasn't getting proper audio in FF16, but tweaking the settings (Google for the best settings) works.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This gives me hope that Project Q isn't as useless as we all thought it was going to be.

Earlier, I said that Project Q will likely flop if it's only a dedicated Remote Play device. However, if Sony can seamlessly integrate PS+ and Cloud Streaming into it, then it can be a big game-changer for Sony, especially in Asian markets, while also laying a worldwide foundation for PlayStation if/when Cloud gaming takes over.

Sorry for doubting you, Jimbo San!

X-Wing

It's a dann shame Sony aren't making PS streaming compatible with PC handhelds. I wanted to stream PS5 to my ROG Ally but it doesn't recognize the controller. What a waste.

It will certainly come in the future or they wouldn’t be investing on it. They always have a phased approach and are probably trying the waters on the PlayStation first.

Ronin_7

Banned
Wait, so you can stream your owned PS5 games, only on PS5. That's bizarre.

Why not let people use their PSN accounts to stream over a web browser as well, or make it a part of the remote-play app ?
See the title, it's called a BETA & Preview.

People are so dumb UGH.

Dr.brain64

chrome_ztZQWgnRoi.jpg

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Project Q is a test device for a full scale cloud based handheld console. I’m going to stand by that.
Ewww, who the hell would want that?

And that doesnt even make sense unless you walk around with a Wifi router or a damn phone contract sim in the device..

Unless you mean it's just a handheld you use indoors when near a Wifi which utterly defeats the purpose..

Am I missing something here? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mr Hyde

You may have to tweak some settings, especially the audio bitrate, but Chiaki normally works pretty great! I wasn't getting proper audio in FF16, but tweaking the settings (Google for the best settings) works.

Okay, gonna check it out then. I don't remember how it worked, do you tweak settings within Chiaki? I don't remember a settings screen or options within the program. However I only used Chiaki a couple of minutes because I was so disappointed with the poor quality stream.

It will certainly come in the future or they wouldn’t be investing on it. They always have a phased approach and are probably trying the waters on the PlayStation first.

Do you really think so? It would be so awesome if Sony decides to patch in controller support for PC 😃

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Okay, gonna check it out then. I don't remember how it worked, do you tweak settings within Chiaki? I don't remember a settings screen or options within the program. However I only used Chiaki a couple of minutes because I was so disappointed with the poor quality stream.
I tried Chiaki on my Steam Deck. This is how you can get to settings (at least on Steam Deck). Time-stamped video:

This might also help you - https://steamdeckhq.com/tips-and-guides/how-to-final-fantasy-16-steam-deck-and-rog-ally/

vivftp

But Project Q is supposedly only 1080p.

The PS5 can output to 1080p TVs just fine and the resolution can be adjusted with this streaming service. We will have to see if the Q Lite will support cloud streaming, but many feel it will

The service will be streaming to many devices including PS4, PS5, PC and beyond, depending on how Sony rolls out additional device support. Other possibilities including TV streaming, mobile, and EVs, since we know the prototype Afeela EV uses cloud streaming to play PS games.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

And that doesnt even make sense unless you walk around with a Wifi router or a damn phone contract sim in the device..

Unless you mean it's just a handheld you use indoors when near a Wifi which utterly defeats the purpose..

It’s a remoteplay device which you can use everywhere in the world. PlayStation remote play was never locked to use only at home. Since PS3, Remoteplay could always been used anywhere in the world.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I tried Chiaki on my Steam Deck. This is how you can get to settings (at least on Steam Deck). Time-stamped video:

This might also help you - https://steamdeckhq.com/tips-and-guides/how-to-final-fantasy-16-steam-deck-and-rog-ally/

Chiaki works great on Steam Deck, no problems for me.

Has anyone got the PS Plus (formally PS Now) PC App running correctly? I can get it to load and I can explore the library, but when I go to play a game, I get the audio but a blank screen, so it's like Proton can't handle the video aspect of it.

X-Wing

Ze

Do you really think so? It would be so awesome if Sony decides to patch in controller support for PC 😃
they did it with PlayStation Now, can’t see why they wouldn’t do with Plus

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Chiaki works great on Steam Deck, no problems for me.

Has anyone got the PS Plus (formally PS Now) PC App running correctly? I can get it to load and I can explore the library, but when I go to play a game, I get the audio but a blank screen, so it's like Proton can't handle the video aspect of it.
Nope. I heard there were problems with PS+ App on Steam Deck, and I didn't even bother trying.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
It’s a remoteplay device which you can use everywhere in the world. PlayStation remote play was never locked to use only at home. Since PS3, Remoteplay could always been used anywhere in the world.
So with that do you need to PS5 to be on while you're out? And how would a cloud based handheld pick up what the console is broadcasting without any sort of internet connection?

Sorry i've never looked into this thing. It seems though you'd need some form of internet on the handheld device for it to be viable but then, to me, it takes away the idea that such a device would ever really be portable unless you're tied into a connection, which defeats the point to me.

Steam Deck, Switch, GPD, Anbernic, Vita, PSP etc can all be played without being connected and thats what a true portable is to me.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
So with that do you need to PS5 to be on while you're out? And how would a cloud based handheld pick up what the console is broadcasting without any sort of internet connection?

Sorry i've never looked into this thing. It seems though you'd need some form of internet on the handheld device for it to be viable but then, to me, it takes away the idea that such a device would ever really be portable unless you're tied into a connection, which defeats the point to me.

Steam Deck, Switch, GPD, Anbernic, Vita, PSP etc can all be played without being connected and thats what a true portable is to me.
I'm sure there will be plenty of people that probably have to share their main screen with a partner or the wider family, that will welcome an optimised method of continuing their PS5 playtime on a dedicated device with minimal hassle.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I have no idea what the point would be of streaming PS5 games to my PS5. It's a PS5, it runs PS5 games natively.

I guess maaaybe to try some game out before committing (if it's a very large download), but otherwise, nope.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member

No I mean it’s a test device for a future handheld that you can stream from the cloud on and/or download games on. In essence, an all digital handheld. One that doesn’t require you to use your ps5 or use your Wi-Fi (unless streaming, obviously you would need some sort of internet lol). I should have said cloud/digital instead of just cloud based on my initial post.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
So it is technically possible, but why would Sony want to make ps5 games avavilible to ps4 owners when ps5 games are best enjoyed because of the hardware benefits of the ps5? PS4 owners playing Rachet and Clank on a HDD would suffer worse than pc users. Maybe I dont understand streaming tech enough, but this doesnt sound like a compromise playstation would make.

Yeah bud you don't understand streaming tech.

Streaming doesn't use the local hardware for anything but video decoding and sending the inputs of the controls to the server. The game runs on PS5 hardware in the cloud.

You do need the ability to decode modern video codecs, but pretty sure PS4 can do that just fine.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah bud you don't understand streaming tech.

Streaming doesn't use the local hardware for anything but video decoding and sending the inputs of the controls to the server. The game runs on PS5 hardware in the cloud.

You do need the ability to decode modern video codecs, but pretty sure PS4 can do that just fine.
It does make the Q system kind of strange. You can get a $5 plastic clip and hook your phone to a controller, and it does the same thing, with the same dual shock form factor - if Sony allowed it to be streamed to phones. Not sure why they want to go to the trouble of setting up cloud capability and then explicitly limit how it can be used. But maybe they're just rolling it out in stages.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It does make the Q system kind of strange. You can get a $5 plastic clip and hook your phone to a controller, and it does the same thing, with the same dual shock form factor - if Sony allowed it to be streamed to phones. Not sure why they want to go to the trouble of setting up cloud capability and then explicitly limit how it can be used. But maybe they're just rolling it out in stages.
We don't even know if Sony will ever have cloud streaming on Project Q in the first place.

I'm definitely not of the opinion that it's guaranteed or anything.

The only place I think streaming makes sense is to try out games on a subscription like GamePass or PS+.
I tried out some GP games via streaming cause I already had like 3 games installed on my Series S so it was full.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony even license such a device.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Shame it doesn't stream PS3 games at the resolution, they would at least look closer to native hardware then

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Clearly they are rolling it out in stages. No reason for us to play stupid. This revelation makes the Project Q device a BETTER choice than "only" having the ability to play these games streaming on your phone. Plus the Backbone controller doesn't have dual sense capabilities within it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
We don't even know if Sony will ever have cloud streaming on Project Q in the first place.

I'm definitely not of the opinion that it's guaranteed or anything.

It's basically guaranteed. The only question is "when" will it be able to stream games to Project Q. Not, "if".

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nope. I heard there were problems with PS+ App on Steam Deck, and I didn't even bother trying.
I had another look at lunch and got it working. It turns out PS Plus tries to use hardware acceleration to optimise the experience, switching that off seemed to make the App work for me on Steam Deck, it actually runs games really nicely.

jm89

It's basically guaranteed. The only question is "when" will it be able to stream games to Project Q. Not, "if".
Yeah i'll be surprised if they don't add cloud streaming.

Q is android based as well, it probably gives them a 2 for 1 as they can use whatever app they develop for it on android phones.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I had another look at lunch and got it working. It turns out PS Plus tries to use hardware acceleration to optimise the experience, switching that off seemed to make the App work for me on Steam Deck, it actually runs games really nicely.
It only allows for streaming, right?

vivftp

It was announced a while ago.

We haven't gotten an update on this in some time so those plans may have fallen through. The last update was from early 2021 where Sony noted they were still in talk with MS on this deal.

We'll have to wait for an actual update from Sony or MS to tell us whether they're going to be on Azure or not.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
man wish I was in the beta as I’m really into the technology behind the scene. I built an entire mini pc for just cloud gaming and streaming media using an Intel NUC and it’s been fantastic so far.

The reason this is on ps5 only at this time is because it’s a controller environment I’m sure. This will trickle down to apps / browsers later.

Xbox Cloud has great games but it’s been pretty stagnant for the entire beta period so far. They need to offer 1440p/4k as well.

An while I understand a lot of gamers hating cloud, it’s inevitably going to part of gaming soon. Just how we all bitched about digital and we were never going to use it and now more sales are digital than physical. Cloud is just an evolution.

I’d venture that within 7 years cloud will be 50/50 with consoles sales.

Hopefully Internet speeds start to reach more people but with AV1 and newer codecs things will be great!

yohan12

Saw it in the other forum.

What I find very interesting is that Xcloud and Ps5 streaming both use Microsoft's Azure servers, but Xbox's own cloud servers only run at 1080p and Sony offers up to 4k.

You set the max resolution from the activity card: 720p, 1080, 1440p, 2160p.
Games seem to load your cloud saves directly.
Ps Plus Premium Members only?

Supported games:

GoW:R
Horizon Forbidden West
Fortnite,
Fall Guys
Destiny 2
Retrunal
Demon's Souls
Death Stranding
Sackboy A Big Adventure
Destruction All Stars
Fall Guys

Trials:
Demon Slayer
RE8
What Region are you in? I don't have the option. And are you running the Beta?

Top Bottom