• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Streaming Preview Started Today

It was announced a while ago.

There's a good chance they're actually using AWS instead of Azure.

The job postings also suggest Sony is working on new hybrid cloud infrastructure with Kubernetes and Amazon’s AWS — not necessarily Microsoft Azure.
The fact that the job postings mention Amazon’s cloud and not Microsoft’s cloud is intriguing all on its own: didn't Sony publicly announce it would use Microsoft’s tech in 2019? But as of 2021, PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan told Nikkei (via VGC) the two companies had yet to get past the “exchanging ideas” stage.

They also have a bunch of GDC talks on how AWS helps them with all stuff PSN, online MP and launching PS5.

twilo99

Azure servers? I doubt it.. probably AWS.

I've been using cloud gaming for over a year now, its perfectly fine for casual stuff, especially if you are close to the server.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Streaming for games like Destiny 2? If you want to die even quicker, then yes!
Subjective - I have played doom and now remnant 2 as well as many other twitch shooters and for anyone except esport enthusiasts if absolutely playable and good if you have the proper internet and within a reasonable distance cloud gaming is a legit option.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
abe-simpson-abe-simpson-cloud.gif

hardware-cloud.jpg

Fuck cloud gaming.

Tell us how you really feel.

OIa98OV.jpg

Last edited:

Gerdav

PS5 streaming launched in the U.K. today, I just spent 45 minutes dabbling around with a few games, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Miles Morales, Hogwarts Legacy, Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon Forbidden West, all I can say is wow, I’m on a 900 down 100 up connection with the PS5 wired and every game streamed perfectly in a rock solid 2160p, absolutely no input lag whatsoever, if I walked in the room and picked the controller up I would honestly have never knew they were streaming, save games synced automatically, all visual options including HDR and 120hz modes were available and worked perfectly.

Compare this to to the joke that is game streaming on the Series X and it’s night and day, same connection, also wired, if you haven’t died of old age by the time it gets to the front of the queue then your lucky to get a stable 480p and you can feel the lag in the controller.

First day yes and the rollout is not complete but Sony have absolutely nailed this so far.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
PS5 streaming launched in the U.K. today, I just spent 45 minutes dabbling around with a few games, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Miles Morales, Hogwarts Legacy, Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon Forbidden West, all I can say is wow, I’m on a 900 down 100 up connection with the PS5 wired and every game streamed perfectly in a rock solid 2160p, absolutely no input lag whatsoever, if I walked in the room and picked the controller up I would honestly have never knew they were streaming, save games synced automatically, all visual options including HDR and 120hz modes were available and worked perfectly.

Compare this to to the joke that is game streaming on the Series X and it’s night and day, same connection, also wired, if you haven’t died of old age by the time it gets to the front of the queue then your lucky to get a stable 480p and you can feel the lag in the controller.

First day yes and the rollout is not complete but Sony have absolutely nailed this so far.
How big is the game selection?

Justin9mm

I have an older 4K Hisense TV in my bedroom and I just want remote play to work on my Alexa 4K Max stick I have plugged into it. I don't want to have to now buy a Google TV 4K for it. My whole house is Alexa orientated. Damn you Sony! *sigh*

Last edited:

Three

I have an older 4K Hisense TV in my bedroom and I just want remote play to work on my Alexa 4K Max stick I have plugged into it. I don't want to have to now buy a Google TV 4K for it. My whole house is Alexa orientated. Damn you Sony! *sigh*
Would it even work with a Google TV 4K?

Edit: oh, just realised you're referring to remote play and not cloud streaming.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Would it even work with a Google TV 4K?

Edit: oh, just realised you're referring to remote play and not cloud streaming.
Sorry, a little off topic but yeah, remote play still needs work in an accessible sense. I'm more interested in playing my PS5 on another TV in my house over streaming something just so I don't have to download it. When you have ultra fast unlimited speeds, it means nothing really lol.

Last edited:
I tried it out with Horizon Forbidden West as well as MK11 last night and it was surprisingly good? I honestly could not tell a difference at all.

Now I have Fiber and it's wired into a mesh router system (so not wired into the main router but a secondary) and I didn't try it on wifi or anything but it was on par or better then Geforce Now with the ultimate tier.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I tried it out with Horizon Forbidden West as well as MK11 last night and it was surprisingly good? I honestly could not tell a difference at all.

Now I have Fiber and it's wired into a mesh router system (so not wired into the main router but a secondary) and I didn't try it on wifi or anything but it was on par or better then Geforce Now with the ultimate tier.
Going to be honest I am still against an all streaming future but my experience with playing last night I honestly had a hard time telling a difference as well

Sony's streaming is working quite well and even looks very good

God Of War Magic GIF by Santa Monica Studio

Gamerguy84

My own experiences with fiber and PSNOW PS4 games have been very positive. Thus is why I'm excited for the PS Portal in a couple weeks.

When I had cable and a hi ping along with slower upload it wasn't so good.

I probably have 50 devices hooked up to my internet right now, a lot being dumb devices. all of our tvs are streaming as well.

So I think service does make a difference plus good equipment in the home.

skit_data

I tried it last week the day it became available and wasn't very impressed but when playing some Demon's Souls at night this weekend with a couple of friends I actually forgot it was streamed for a while and my friends couldn't believe it was not running natively. I have 100/100 mbit/s so it should easily be enough for streaming but it feels like it might depend on how many are using it at the given moment or something.

Three

My own experiences with fiber and PSNOW PS4 games have been very positive. Thus is why I'm excited for the PS Portal in a couple weeks.

When I had cable and a hi ping along with slower upload it wasn't so good.

I probably have 50 devices hooked up to my internet right now, a lot being dumb devices. all of our tvs are streaming as well.

So I think service does make a difference plus good equipment in the home.
Most games stream well but there are quick reaction games not designed for it. For example I had issues fishing in Persona 5 over remote play. Streaming PS4 from the cloud Sackboy time trials and knitted knight trials were notoriously difficult but far easier local on PS5.

I'm looking forward to seeing if any of this has improved with the PS Portal or PS5 cloud streaming.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Going to be honest I am still against an all streaming future but my experience with playing last night I honestly had a hard time telling a difference as well

Sony's streaming is working quite well and even looks very good

God Of War Magic GIF by Santa Monica Studio

I'm only against the "Streaming Only" future. I love it as an option.

Gamerguy84

Most games stream well but there are quick reaction games not designed for it. For example I had issues fishing in Persona 5 over remote play. Streaming PS4 from the cloud Sackboy time trials and knitted knight trials were notoriously difficult but far easier local on PS5.

I'm looking forward to seeing if any of this has improved with the PS Portal or PS5 cloud streaming.

Yea I think it will work great based on my experiences. I forgot to mention that I have all TVs and PS5s and desktops hardwired and it makes all the difference.

I've hooked up 3 of my friends remote play. They kept telling me they would lose conn we connection, everything would go blocky, and controller lag. I ran cat 5 wires for all three into a switch and hardwired their PS which fixed it.

The only thing that will be wireless at my house is the portal itself but I imagine it's designed well. I think it's going to work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom