• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

PreFire

Finally finished the game. Love the fact you get to
choose future outcomes
, it adds replay value.

This is basically a movie. Loved it

Now, to play Alan Wake (BC) for my very first time lol

Better not Jack.

Die.

Better not Jack

Repeat.

Honestly, by the 5th chapter, I was just waiting for this game to be through. It's okay, story is awesome, but I for one, found the shooting to be mediocre. It looks okay, but it's kinda boring. You more or less have 2 powers that are worth anything and it begins to get very repetitive. Time stop, unload, zip to next guy unload, repeat. For the entire game. Until, the end, where it's all of that plus a fucking awful *new* one hit kill mechanic that gets thrown in.

My enjoyment may be hampered by the controller, as aiming is not great. Would have much preferred m/KB, but no one who makes any decisions knows when the PC codes are supposed to go out for those that haven't received them yet.

Beat it on Hard in about 10 hours, finding a good majority of the collectibles.

When it's not blurry, which is often, it looks fantastic. Lighting and animation especially look great.

Of all the Remedy games, it's my least favorite and I adored Alan Wake. Still, the story was really stellar and I do want to see the other choices and options. I may just YouTube them or wait till PC codes get sent. Though, definitely gonna step away from it for a while. I'm just surprised how underwhelmed I am with it as I've been blown away by literally every other Remedy game.

I hope we do get Alan Wake 2 next.

Soi-Fong

Can I expect to run this at 1440p with a 980 Ti with all the performance issues I've been hearing or should I just stick to 1080p?

Edit: So decided to run the game at 1440p w/ 30fps cap at all Ultra settings. The game definitely looks good though not as good as I've seen from Uncharted 4. The facial animations still leave a little to be desired. But the time effects, my gosh it's insane. Have no idea how they're manipulating the geometry like that.

Finished Act I and loving the story so far and really did a good job setting up the antagonist.

Trup1aya

Better not Jack.

Die.

Better not Jack

Repeat.

Honestly, by the 5th chapter, I was just waiting for this game to be through. It's okay, story is awesome, but I for one, found the shooting to be mediocre. It looks okay, but it's kinda boring. You more or less have 2 powers that are worth anything and it begins to get very repetitive. Time stop, unload, zip to next guy unload, repeat. For the entire game. Until, the end, where it's all of that plus a fucking awful *new* one hit kill mechanic that gets thrown in.

My enjoyment may be hampered by the controller, as aiming is not great. Would have much preferred m/KB, but no one who makes any decisions knows when the PC codes are supposed to go out for those that haven't received them yet.

When it's not blurry, which is often, it looks fantastic. Lighting and animation especially look great.

Of all the Remedy games, it's my least favorite and I adored Alan Wake. Still, the story was really stellar and I do want to see the other choices and options. I may just YouTube them or wait till PC codes get sent. Though, definitely gonna step away from it for a while. I'm just surprised how underwhelmed I am with it as I've been blown away by literally every other Remedy game.

Yeah, if you only used two powers, I can understand why it would seem repetitive. But they all are pretty damn useful.

BradC00

just beat the game, but accidently skipped the ending before the credits...thank you youtube.

don't get the fuss about the boss fight. it only took me 10-15 minutes to figure it out and beat it. keep moving, LB, then LT and headshot dude. rinse repeat, avoid big boom, rinse repeat, credits roll.

ElRenoRaven

Hold up, you can talk to
Martin Hatch
at the beginning of the game after you finish the game? Is that possible from the timeline or need to go for a new game?

He's there on first play through even. I remember my first play through him being there at the start. I was like who the hell is this random guy. Little did I know who he was going to be. lol

Daingurse

This game has been a breeze but I can't for the life of me do the
Paul Serene fight, I clear the first wave no problem but the second wave plus Paul's attacks just do me all the time! Coupled with the PC crashes all the time

Incredibly frustrating.

Staying as mobile as possible is about the best advice I can give. It's all about running like hell whenever you see Paul's red AOE attack, and killing enemies when you have the opportunity. I would run very far away using Time Rush whenever I saw it under my feet. That attack was the real threat, so I paid more attention to it than the enemies.

I can sympathize with your crashes. My game crashed immediately after I beat Paul Serene, so I had to beat him again lol. Didn't struggle with it too much, but was I was playing Normal difficulty. But I imagine staying mobile would just as much apply on Hard.

Doodis

Gotta agree that last battle was a major pain in the ass. Spent an hour trying to beat it last night then another 30 minutes today. What a pain.

Otherwise, great game. Is there any type of new game+ Where I get to keep my powers? All I have is new game as an option in the menu.

Gotta agree that last battle was a major pain in the ass. Spent an hour trying to beat it last night then another 30 minutes today. What a pain.

Otherwise, great game. Is there any type of new game+ Where I get to keep my powers? All I have is new game as an option in the menu.

I think you can replay the individual chapters from the mission select with your upgrades, but no New Game+.

So glad I ignored the reviews , this game is amazing , every bit as good as all the other remedy games.

i have only just reached chapter 3 but I'm loving the story , gfx are stunning with the time stutters etc and combat is amazing once you start chaining your powers together .

Even the tv show is suprisingly watchable .

Probably of the best games this year imo and remedy must do something else with this engine as its amazing . The way they do time memories in realtime is amazing.

Exodust

Banned
If anyone has Alan Wake and/or American nightmare codes they don't want kindly send it my way :)

Game is pretty badass. I'm not the biggest fan of the TV show itself but I do appreciate how they incorporate it within the game. Definitely an ambitious and great game that I'll probably replay after I'm done with my first playthrough.

Sucks that Remedy take their sweet time in between games.

First game in a long time where I want to pay for dlc. Give me some kind of horde mode with all these time powers .

Combat is by far the best part of the game but just not enough of it . Combine it with the stutters / bubbles and it would be amazing .

Love how the bad guys just die frozen in time when inside s stutter and you kill them .

farisr

Been playing through this the past few days. Almost done act 4. The game is good for sure, and the story is well done. I expected the "show" to be worse than it actually is, but I find it to be okay, and any scenes with the bigger actors seem to be automatically better.

If there was one thing that bothers methat really takes me out of the game, and can be viewed as a legit negative, it's the loading. I'm fine with long loading times and things like that in most games. But what's happening in this game is really bothering me. I'm not talking about overall loading times, I'm talking about with how they are handled in general along with checkpoints for certain encounters.

Abrupt cuts to the white act x part y splash screen while dialogue is still going on, or heck a dialogue is said 5 seconds after the screen came up. The structure of the loading screens and cuts.

For instance, I could just be walking along, or just finished the act, cut to an abrupt white splash screen to load, now cutscene, cut back to the white splash screen and load some more, maybe even longer than the load before the cutscene. It'd be understandable if I had skipped the cutscene and it loads again, but they really should've timed it so that people would only see one load if the cutscene is not skipped. It really messed with presentation (which is a huge aspect of this game)

Then there's the checkpoint thing if you die in an encounter. So far the 3 spots where I have died the most this is basically what happens. Die, wait a while for it to reload, you're back at a little traversal or navigation section before the encounter took place, get through this part, cutscene happens (either watch the whole thing or skip it, either way you'll be waiting as it'll need to load if you decide to skip), finally got back to doing the encounter. Die again because majority of your time was spent getting back to the encounter rather than in the actual encounter.

In the case of the 2nd encounter,
the first time you face a juggernaut
, there are cases where you can be instantly killed as soon as you get control, so it's even more frustrating. Honestly this whole loading/checkpoint aspect of the game is definitely going to be something that prevents me from coming back to the game on a higher difficulty later (currently playing on normal).

Had they designed the checkpoints/reloads by getting you right back into the encounter, or loading you directly into the cutscene right before the encounter, it'd be a different story.

I know I wrote a lot regarding basically just one aspect, but it's really bothering me and making my experience less enjoyable of what is otherwise a terrific title.

Montresor

The last episode of the tv show has surprisingly amazing music throughout the whole episode. And it had a shocking moment that made my jaw drop ...

Starting Act 5 now. I'd say this is easily my game of the gen so far.

Montresor

I just counted and I've taken 4 videos and 41 screenshots in Quantum Break so far. More than any other XB1 I've played so far. Only Rise of the Tomb Raider and Halo 5 come close (with about 20 captures each).

Quantum Break is one of the prettiest games I've ever played in my life. I can't come up with a better way to describe it so I apologize in advance for the unelegant choice of words, but I think Quantum Break achieves remarkable beauty through chaos, ugliness, and destruction. So much of what makes this game so pleasing to look at are the time warping / rippling / stuttering affects throughout the whole game. It's chaos but it's so beautiful to watch.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So I got a free code for this on PC and despite the PC version being subpar it still ran ok enough for me to get completely hooked on the thing and complete it in two sessions yesterday.  Basically, I thought it was utterly brilliant and this is definitely a top 5 game for me at the end of the year.  It would also be my favourite Remedy game after Max Payne 2.

Really enjoyed the storyline and though I wouldn't say I loved them, I thought the B movie schlocky tv episodes were fun and didn't really detract from the game.  Hell it gave me an opportunity to finish eating my ice cream for one episode so I was appreciative

What I really loved was the combat, I'd honestly put it up there with Max Payne 3 in some of the most fun combat I've had in a third person shooter.  The enemy reactions, mixing up powers and generally feeling like a mother fuckin bad ass time god.  Time Rush up to someone and SMACK, time dodge!, stop some other bad guys in their track with time stop, shield yourself, time rush behind a heavy to shoot their backpack etc.  Never got bored of it and because I played it on hard it felt like, whilst not being super difficult, I still had to maneouvre about a bit more and use my powers to not die easily.  Of course now what I would love would be some kinda horde mode/challenge mode and we probably won't get that.  Just like we didn't get that with Max Payne 3 blah.

So what I took from the storyline was that

They didn't actually prevent the End Of Time and that it was still coming in 2021 ?  Martin Hatch was also a true shifter wasn't he ?  Which is why he was trying to stop Paul Serene from building the Lifeboat so as they couldn't actually find a way to prevent the End Of Time to make it a world for shifters ?  The reason why I thought the End Of Time still comes is because well both Beth and Serene had to spend time their so it actually still has to happen.  It felt like at the end Jack was still a shifter and so Hatch was trying to recruit him, I assume Jack would eventually need Chronon treatment or else he'd turn into a true shifter the way Martin Hatch was ?  Though whether or not he could control himself the way Martin Hatch does is another matter

Anyway, great stuff and I really hope we get a sequel.  Or just another Remedy game sometime soon!

Montresor

Heh, Act 5 has Nissan product placement. I'm surprised there isn't a 100-page Neogaf thread about this or a twitter shitstorm yet. I think it's neat. I just spent 15 minutes in Act 5 looking out windows to find all the billboards and signs I could see.

There are billboards for:

Nissan
Windows Phone Lumia 950XL

And there are also billboards and signs for these companies, which I don't know if they're real or not:

Stonerose LLC Industries
NorthPole Security Software
K1 Distributed Database Solutions
Himayala & Son
Perkins Media Analysts
B&B Investing
Minute Foundation

And there are billboards and signs for the following which are all most certainly fake:

Riverport Holdings and Investments Ltd.
102.7 The Streak (radio station)
Riverport Rexes
Riverport University
Monarch Solutions
The Riverport Gordon Hotel

Strootman

Been playing through this the past few days. Almost done act 4. The game is good for sure, and the story is well done. I expected the "show" to be worse than it actually is, but I find it to be okay, and any scenes with the bigger actors seem to be automatically better.

If there was one thing that bothers methat really takes me out of the game, and can be viewed as a legit negative, it's the loading. I'm fine with long loading times and things like that in most games. But what's happening in this game is really bothering me. I'm not talking about overall loading times, I'm talking about with how they are handled in general along with checkpoints for certain encounters.

Abrupt cuts to the white act x part y splash screen while dialogue is still going on, or heck a dialogue is said 5 seconds after the screen came up. The structure of the loading screens and cuts.

For instance, I could just be walking along, or just finished the act, cut to an abrupt white splash screen to load, now cutscene, cut back to the white splash screen and load some more, maybe even longer than the load before the cutscene. It'd be understandable if I had skipped the cutscene and it loads again, but they really should've timed it so that people would only see one load if the cutscene is not skipped. It really messed with presentation (which is a huge aspect of this game)

I must agree with you on this.

Like in the ending of act 2 part 2, toto's africa plays on the radio and the cutscene immediately stops with the white screen while the song is still playing

just wtf?

aravuus

Damn, the fuzzyness/blurryness combined with 30fps is kinda harsh after a couple of dozen of hours of Dark Souls 3 on PC. Gonna take a while to get used to this. Input doesn't feel super precise either so far, but maybe it's better in actual combat scenarios.

I can see myself spending a lot of time out of combat in this game, though. Already loving all the details. Like the sign up sheet for a Finnish course that was completely empty aside from the teacher's name. I expect to find a bunch of nods towards our beautifully depressing country, Remedy!

But yeah. So much text to read. Love it!

e: shame about no subtitles for "ambient" stuff, like radio. Stupid decision to not have em.

Heh, Act 5 has Nissan product placement. I'm surprised there isn't a 100-page Neogaf thread about this or a twitter shitstorm yet. I think it's neat. I just spent 15 minutes in Act 5 looking out windows to find all the billboards and signs I could see.

There are billboards for:

Nissan
Windows Phone Lumia 950XL

And there are also billboards and signs for these companies, which I don't know if they're real or not:

Stonerose LLC Industries
NorthPole Security Software
K1 Distributed Database Solutions
Himayala & Son
Perkins Media Analysts
B&B Investing
Minute Foundation

And there are billboards and signs for the following which are all most certainly fake:

Riverport Holdings and Investments Ltd.
102.7 The Streak (radio station)
Riverport Rexes
Riverport University
Monarch Solutions
The Riverport Gordon Hotel
We went through that shitstorm with Alan Wake's Verizon commercials and Energizer batteries. At least the product placement in this is more subtle.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The screenplay collectible is one of the best things I've read in ages. Never laughed so much at anything for a long time. God bless you Remedy.

Montresor

We went through that shitstorm with Alan Wake's Verizon commercials and Energizer batteries. At least the product placement in this is more subtle.

I just like the attention to detail. There are a dozen+ billboards and signs visible if you look outside the window throughout act 5.

aravuus

I'm not sure I'm able to properly convey in words just how much I love the fact that almost every single small to medium sized item you see is a physical object that can be moved around by weapons, explosions, your character etc. They even have some weight to them.

I just

love it

Wish there was an infinite ammo cheat so I could just shoot at shit all day lmao

SlickVic

I like that collectibles automatically save as soon as you get them, but it's annoying that if you miss one you have to restart the level and are limited in backtracking. I got to the top of crane realizing I missed a collectible on the way up, except I couldn't go back since there was no longer a prompt to go back down the ladder. Similarly if a door shuts behind you permanently and there was a collectible back there, you just have to restart the level and find it again.

I wish this game took the Life is Strange approach of letting you go back to a specific part of a level to find collectibles without having to repeat the whole thing again.

Bioshocker

Better not Jack.

Die.

Better not Jack

Repeat.

Agree with all of this. Hate that fight, and although the fighting is better than in Alan Wake (which I love for other reasons) I found it pretty repetitive after a while. I don't understand why Remedy can't offer more variety. Sure, the time abilities are fun, but after a few hours they don't feel that exciting to me anymore. And then there's nothing more. Just more of the same.

I liked the game mainly thanks to the story and the gorgeous graphics. Gameplay is so so.

The combat suffers the same problem as Alan Wake, in that after all the abilities are introduced in the opening few hours it never really evolves beyond that. In the first few hours you've seen almost all the abilities and enemy types, and I hope you like abandoned buildings and bland office/science labs, cuz that's pretty much it for enviromantal variety.

The end result is a game that feels repetitive after just a few hours of play, and God forbid you play on Normal, cuz you can sleep walk through the entire experience.

Chitown B

one thing I hate about the QB fighting is you can't ever tell how hurt you are. I've died with differing levels of red on the screen. So it's hard to judge what you should do.

The room in 5-1 is ridiculous on Hard.

also guys are constantly shooting me behind cover. I realize it's not a cover shooter but if I'm behind something I should not be able to be hit directly. Otherwise why does my guy even duck?

TheKeyPit

Banned
I just like the attention to detail. There are a dozen+ billboards and signs visible if you look outside the window throughout act 5.

Not only in act 5 ;)

I'm not sure I'm able to properly convey in words just how much I love the fact that almost every single small to medium sized item you see is a physical object that can be moved around by weapons, explosions, your character etc. They even have some weight to them.

I just

love it

Wish there was an infinite ammo cheat so I could just shoot at shit all day lmao

The standard pistol has infinite ammo.

Jesus Christ this last boss fight is retroactively destroying all the fun I had with the game. I mean, fuck.

And the fucking load times. Especially when your name in real life is
Will and you have to hear "Forget Will, Jack!" 3000 fucking times because you die randomly from shit you don't see.

Top Bottom