• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

nib95

Banned
I think the chronon hunt is rather well done, it's not really hard to find them when you know you're supposed to look for them, and they sometimes add light puzzle elements. It actually makes the exploration phases much more interesting. And the timeline makes it easy to go back to levels where you missed one.
My only issue is that the game doesn't let you backtrack in a level, I have missed the same chronon twice because I assumed it was inside a building, but entering it triggered a new section and I couldn't get back outside where it appeared on my radar.

I thought they could have been better implemented. First it has you using your vision powers constantly, second a few of them are placed in areas you can't even access till a later stage, which just lends to wasting unnecessary time trying to figure out if you can or can't even get them. Lastly, the areas and arenas generally aren't even large or complex enough to really make exploring for them feel truly rewarding, instead most are fairly simply placed, even though the expectation is generally otherwise. I do however like that they are sometimes higher up, sticking to objects, walls etc. The effect from them is pretty cool too.

Bittercup

How can I take screenshots on PC? Fraps doesn't seem to work with the game.
edit: I found the game DVR settings in the xbox app. That works.

silva1991

Fucking hell was there a TV long cutscene after the second episode(chapter)? because I'm watching a TV cutscene after the third episode and it started with Liam, Wincott and Fiona together. the game crashed after the chapter 2 ended and after I started the game it was just an in game short cutscene and played chapter 3.

I feel so disoriented lol.

Alx

Yes there is a complete TV episode after each chapter. You should go back to the timeline menu and watch it.

MaulerX

I finally beat this game last night. Totally awesome. The last boss wasn't nearly as hard or frustrating as some make it out to be. It's actually very simple:
Beat a wave of enemies, time sprint to survive one red bomb, beat another wave of enemies, time sprint to survive three red bombs. End.

I finally beat this game last night. Totally awesome. The last boss wasn't nearly as hard or frustrating as some make it out to be. It's actually very simple:
Beat a wave of enemies, time sprint to survive one red bomb, beat another wave of enemies, time sprint to survive three red bombs. End.

It wasn't the Red Bombs in-between that screwed me over, it was the little red bombs he throughout during the waves that got me. I would be fighting and then all of a sudden they would pop up and I didn't realize it, and by the time I started to run away I was insta-killed which sucked

TheKeyPit

Banned
my opinion keeps souring on this game the more i reflect on it. having played it twice now (currently on a third playthrough to solidify my thoughts on it) i just cant say i find anything engaging about the game. to begin, i dont believe its particularly memorable within the scifi genre. its written well enough, with a time travel logic that is easy to grasp and that doesnt run into major problems with itself, but it doesnt do anything new in that space.

Quantum Break has its own logic for time. Chronon Particles are the reason why time works. If Chronon Particles reach 0, time stops. Manipulating those Chronon Particles leads to manipulating time, leading to time travel. I think that this is something new in time travel stories. They've created logical rules within the game that make sense and didn't just slap time travel into the game without explaining anything like in most media.

blakep267

It wasn't the Red Bombs in-between that screwed me over, it was the little red bombs he throughout during the waves that got me. I would be fighting and then all of a sudden they would pop up and I didn't realize it, and by the time I started to run away I was insta-killed which sucked
Yeah. Like I could beat the first wave easy. Then the second wave comes and you have the heavy that emits the thing that saps your powers so I can't dash in and shotgun without stopping. Then I have all the other guys and bombs dropping. I couldn't focus on 3 things at once

Krakatoa

Ok, how the fuck do you get through the doors that are in a fractured state? I tried slowing the time, but the second one always kills me. I am sure its something simple...

Fuchsdh

Ok, how the fuck do you get through the doors that are in a fractured state? I tried slowing the time, but the second one always kills me. I am sure its something simple...

Should just freeze them when they're open and dash through.

Also, on my second (Hard) play through—really wish I'd done the Hardline choice instead on the first run. This cabbie is a far more annoying presence than Amy.

Chris1

Press b (time shield) next to them and they will stay opened as long as your shield is up

Peterthumpa

my opinion keeps souring on this game the more i reflect on it. having played it twice now (currently on a third playthrough to solidify my thoughts on it) i just cant say i find anything engaging about the game.
I wonder how many times you play games that you like then.

Thanks to TheKeyPits' phenomenal generosity, I started playing through this yesterday.

Didn't get too far, but I quite enjoyed what I played. I heard about how it wasn't meant to be played as a cover shooter, but I was worried the game wouldn't do anything to incentivize getting out of cover. But, right from the get-go, enemies flush you out and flank you. So I was time dodging and time shielding all over the place and it was hella fun.

As for the story, there have already been a bunch of cool Time Moments, but I admit I'm a sucker for that bullshit. It definitely feels like an episode of Fringe right now. I hope they do fun stuff with the frame narrative.

dedhead54

Thanks to TheKeyPits' phenomenal generosity, I started playing through this yesterday.

Didn't get too far, but I quite enjoyed what I played. I heard about how it wasn't meant to be played as a cover shooter, but I was worried the game wouldn't do anything to incentivize getting out of cover. But, right from the get-go, enemies flush you out and flank you. So I was time dodging and time shielding all over the place and it was hella fun.

As for the story, there have already been a bunch of cool Time Moments, but I admit I'm a sucker for that bullshit. It definitely feels like an episode of Fringe right now. I hope they do fun stuff with the frame narrative.

If you dig the story I highly recommend a second playthrough, making the opposite choices of your first.

TheKeyPit

Banned

You're welcome. I really like how the story progresses. Remedy has written everything perfectly. I've even bought the book "Quantum Break: Zero State" to find out more about the world they've created in the game.

Did you start on HARD difficulty?

rashbeep

Banned
Beat it, thought it was pretty solid. Combat mechanics were great and I don't buy the nonsense that you don't feel powerful from your abilities, you can be wasting mofos left and right on hard if you use the powers effectively. Reminded me of the original crysis in that sense.

Story was well written, although it didn't stand out to me too much as being very memorable. Got the job done enough for me to want to progress. Same is true for the show.

Visuals and audio wise it's top tier. Even with the piss poor IQ, the lighting, materials, character models and facial capture are some of the best I've seen. Big step up from remedy's previous efforts.

Same for me, really shitty.

To be fair you get sound and vibration cues when one is near. I still missed some since it's not always clear if you are PAST them or are going to encoutner them, since they also trigger it through walls and such.

I ended up resetting my PC. Kind of extreme, but ... ehh. Something was obviously broken.
Still kept giving me the error afterwards, but it actually got through after several attempts and it downloaded.

BraXzy

Finally getting round to starting this.. Should I dive in straight on hard? I saw people mention turning off aim assist so controls feel better. Anything else before I begin? :D

TheKeyPit

Banned
Actually...

I'm saving Hard difficulty for my second playthrough! I've started taking to replaying games on harder difficulties. Cool way to get to know games more intimately. And cost effective!

That's what I did, too.

Finally getting round to starting this.. Should I dive in straight on hard? I saw people mention turning off aim assist so controls feel better. Anything else before I begin? :D

Try it with aim assist off. Have fun :)

legbone

quick question, i just got to the final battle on my first playthrough. love the game. getting ready to do my second playthrough to mop up collectibles and do the other choices. here is the question:

can i play hard from the existing timeline of my normal first playthrough and get the achievement or do i have to restart the whole thing on hard. sorry, did a quick search and didn't find the answer clearly.

LauriRMD

Neo Member
quick question, i just got to the final battle on my first playthrough. love the game. getting ready to do my second playthrough to mop up collectibles and do the other choices. here is the question:

can i play hard from the existing timeline of my normal first playthrough and get the achievement or do i have to restart the whole thing on hard. sorry, did a quick search and didn't find the answer clearly.

I recommend replaying from the timeline. You get to keep your collectibles and choose the difficulty level when restarting a level. The playthrough achievement unlocks when you have all levels played on hard.

legbone

I recommend replaying from the timeline. You get to keep your collectibles and choose the difficulty level when restarting a level. The playthrough achievement unlocks when you have all levels played on hard.

yep, that's what i want to do. thanks.

but after trying the last boss a few times (know what to do, just can't execute properly yet) i don't look forward to it.

edit:

nevermind, beat the final boss after a few more attempts. turns out the fight right before the boss was much harder for me. anyway, this is a great game. really feels like a sci-fi flick. one of the better stories in gaming i've experienced in a while. love how they did it. not a huge fan of the tv episodes but it's only because i want more of the game. would love to see a sequel, or even better, another new remedy ip. i really love remedy. max payne, alan wake, and now this. can't wait to see what they come up with next, though i'm sure it's alan wake 2. but that's ok, i just love the worlds that remedy builds.

Hold up, you can talk to
Martin Hatch
at the beginning of the game after you finish the game? Is that possible from the timeline or need to go for a new game?

DukeBobby

Having a damn good time with this so far. Just finished Act 2. The story is quite engaging, the combat feels fresh and exciting despite the admittedly average shooting mechanics, and the collectables are actually worth a damn. PC port is a bit shite, though. If I play it for too long, the game starts to stutter like crazy and basically becomes unplayable.

It's a perfect palate cleanser after beating a difficult area/boss in Dark Souls 3.

silva1991

Shit ending :/

but then again I thought the story was forgettable and the characters are boring

the combat and visual effects are SO GOOD and superb, but sadly the vast majority of the game was in game/TV cutscenes

for such a heavenly cinematic and story driven game the uninteresting story and characters kinda hurt it for me.

Are the TV episodes available on Youtube anywhere? I have the PC version and the streaming hasn't been working. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlX5e0Eh3wk

shandy706

the combat and visual effects are SO GOOD and superb, but sadly the vast majority of the game was in game/TV cutscenes

18 hours into my first play-through. Only 7 deaths still.

I'd say a very small percentage of that has been cutscenes. X-P

May just finish the game, and start a second play-through this weekend.

dt2

Banned
v5CuOgm.gif

The impact, hit animations, and ragdoll physics are extremely well done in this game!

xVodevil

Damn, this PC version...
The game is so fucking great, it really is something else! Tons of mind blowing moments! Yet it has to be the disgrace of PC gaming, this is sooo sad...
I hope in time it can shape up to be a somewhat superior PC experience, as it should be!

GRaider81

Damn, this PC version...
The game is so fucking great, it really is something else! Tons of mind blowing moments! Yet it has to be the disgrace of PC gaming, this is sooo sad...
I hope in time it can shape up to be a somewhat superior PC experience, as it should be!

I'm kind of the opposite, performance is OK (though IQ is terrible) but I'm finding the game a bit lacklustre. The time effect stuff is pretty cool though. I think tbh playing DS 3 at same time is the problem as I just want to play that. I should maybe wait for the patch then sink an evening into QB.

Just brought the game and loving what I've played this far , but I am seeing some weird lighting happening (Xbox one) that test chamber for example whenever I looked at the spotlight sources it basically blinded the whole screen . Even if they where just slightly in view . Other times the distant light sources would still appear through character models (such as when talking to one of the campus girls )

Anyone had this issue? Not adjusted any gfx settings except for brightness .

Matty8787

This game has been a breeze but I can't for the life of me do the
Paul Serene fight, I clear the first wave no problem but the second wave plus Paul's attacks just do me all the time! Coupled with the PC crashes all the time

Incredibly frustrating.

Top Bottom