• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

SpotAnime

I've played through the first Act but I feel like I'm not getting the combat down. There seems to be a rhythm to comboing time abilities but I'm just not getting it. Usually I'm just blasting someone with a Time Dodge and then getting caught between cover, there seems to be some combo with the Time Stop but I'm not getting it, and the Time Shield I'm usually just hiding behind as cover and then when I dart out getting caught in someone's crosshairs.

Any tips or videos to how I should be chaining these abilities?

Why can't everything be as simple as Max Payne's bullet time...that ability is the GOAT...

TheKeyPit

Banned
I've played through the first Act but I feel like I'm not getting the combat down. There seems to be a rhythm to comboing time abilities but I'm just not getting it. Usually I'm just blasting someone with a Time Dodge and then getting caught between cover, there seems to be some combo with the Time Stop but I'm not getting it, and the Time Shield I'm usually just hiding behind as cover and then when I dart out getting caught in someone's crosshairs.

Why can't everything be as simple as Max Payne's bullet time...that ability is the GOAT...

Wait until you unlocked all time powers. That's when it starts.

aaand don't forget to upgrade them ;)

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

My best advice is to not use cover unless you're near death. If you play a lot of third person shooters, you become used to relying on cover, but QB is not about cover. It's about being an offensive juggernaut. Let it rip and be aggressive and on the attack. Use top stop, time dodge, etc and go after enemies. If you get overwhelmed use your shield. Upgrade the radar power last, it's almost useless in combat.

SpotAnime

Wait until you unlocked all time powers. That's when it starts.

aaand don't forget to upgrade them ;)

My best advice is to not use cover unless you're near death. If you play a lot of third person shooters, you become used to relying on cover, but QB is not about cover. It's about being an offensive juggernaut. Let it rip and be aggressive and on the attack. Use top stop, time dodge, etc and go after enemies. If you get overwhelmed use your shield. Upgrade the radar power last, it's almost useless in combat.

Thanks. Didn't know I could upgrade powers! Will try to get further tonight.

I feel like I'm doing finger-gymnastics with my keyboard when I try to do all this, but I can kill people easy as hell with headshots. I feel like if I switch to a gamepad I'll have the opposite problem.

derFeef

Act 5 is tough on hard, wow. Not sure I am able to finish it hearing the boss fight is even worse, hah. I died too much, going to sleep now as it's past midnight.

Slaythe

I just gave up HARD on what I assume is the last boss.

I don't mind challenge, but having to go through 3 crappy phases over and over with loading times and all when you die, and getting one shot to bullshit is just not fun.

I'm also asking for help. I'm obviously not aware of what I'm supposed to do.

What do you do against that one shot red final flash crap ? It's not like i get to learn anything since I get one shot by it then i have to waste 15 minutes to get back to it and re die...

This is a blind first play through, i started on hard to make the game last longer.

Trup1aya

The boss fight is not that bad on hard.

IMO the fight before that to activate the teleporter is much harder.

That part was much harder than the boss... Admittedly I didn't have my powers upgraded. But I was able to beat the boss without upgraded powers...

Fuck the snipers

SystemBug

I had no trouble at all on the boss fight. finished it one go, but then again I was playing it on normal. The red attack never got me once

That part where you activate the teleporter actually motivated to go back and grab the chronon sources I missed.

I just gave up HARD on what I assume is the last boss.

I don't mind challenge, but having to go through 3 crappy phases over and over with loading times and all when you die, and getting one shot to bullshit is just not fun.

I'm also asking for help. I'm obviously not aware of what I'm supposed to do.

What do you do against that one shot red final flash crap ? It's not like i get to learn anything since I get one shot by it then i have to waste 15 minutes to get back to it and re die...

This is a blind first play through, i started on hard to make the game last longer.

If you're getting to the third phase, then you've done the hard part.

He's always going to target where you're standing, so you can basically run from one side of the pool to the other.

Alx

I'm usually going with the agressive style too, but snipers can be deadly when you're staying in the open for too long. :/

I really want to try Quantum Break out on PC for my second playthrough, but I have encountered "error 0x80073CF9" on the Windows 10 store.

In fact, everything is suffering from that now. I can't download a single app from the store. Anyone with this experience?

Just throwing my 2 cents in since there seems to be some discussion about it. I just completed the game on normal difficulty and have 100% completion. It took me 12 hours to complete. By no means did I rush, I greatly enjoyed reading the collectables and just exploring the areas. Remedy is excellent at making believable and detailed locations. I died about 20 times. Its an overall great game I think. 8/10 is a solid score, although personal opinions on a few things could rise or lower the score for each person. And I agree as to what many on here have said, THIS IS NOT A COVER SHOOTER! To succeed you must use your abilities and be constantly moving.

While the ending certainly sets up for a sequel, as any true sci-fi TV show does, I still would prefer to have an Alan Wake sequel, though I'll play whatever Remedy releases next. Now I get to do a speed run on hard and make some other decisions.

jackdoe

Just got my PC code and downloaded Quantum Break. Played it for five seconds and quit. It looks awful. Especially since my monitor is 2560 x 1440.

Slaythe

That part where you activate the teleporter actually motivated to go back and grab the chronon sources I missed.

If you're getting to the third phase, then you've done the hard part.

He's always going to target where you're standing, so you can basically run from one side of the pool to the other.

Well took me 2 hours and !!!

Nope. Still can't get it.

So care to tell me how I dodge that red thing ? It's not like I get to run, it literally covers the full screen, every single time. So I'm sure it's not technically the full screen. And I'm sure it's easy once you know what to do. But once again, I don't really get to experiment, having to waste 15 minutes to get to that point, every time. I can't outrun it, I die anyway.

Hawk269

So care to tell me how I dodge that red thing ? It's not like I get to run, it literally covers the full screen, every single time. So I'm sure it's not technically the full screen. And I'm sure it's easy once you know what to do. But once again, I don't really get to experiment, having to waste 15 minutes to get to that point, every time. I can't outrun it, I die anyway.

Are you talking about what looks like a giant ball of red/yellow explosion? If so, right as Paul launches it, before it expands, your character will automatically look at the direction where he aimed it. All you need to do is run/dash away to opposite side/end depending on where he launches it. It took me a while as well until I noticed that every time he shoots it, your character looks at where it is and it starts expanding, you then have enough time to dash/run away to the opposite side of the pool.

Don't feel bad, I was playing on hard and it was a 4-5 hour affair for me. I was just being dump and getting frustrated and when I do that I end up making more mistakes. I basically ended up taking a 20 min break and did it after 2 more tries. But yeah, it can be a pain in rear end, but once you beat the two rounds of goon's it is easy after that.

Hawk269

Just got my PC code and downloaded Quantum Break. Played it for five seconds and quit. It looks awful. Especially since my monitor is 2560 x 1440.

Opposite for me, I have a 4k set and it looks fantastic to me. At 4k I turn off AA and tolerate a bit of frames here and there (have it locked at 30) and it looks very good and clean for me. I am thinking of turning shadows down a notch (I have everything on max) and see if I can get a more consistent frame rate that way, but overall it looks really damn good on my rig.

Maybe this will help visualize what I'm talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMeChih1Agc

Phase 3 starts at a round 6:30. Once you see it, phase 3 is really a breeze. Promise.

Granjinha

It's actually not new news. Greenberg confirmed it was the bestselling just for the first week of sales and not when compared to lifetime sales of the other new IPs. It's still good to see MS really getting behind the game when it comes to PR. Sunset Overdrive didn't receive close to this type of support.

They could port SO to PC too. :(

mujun

I like about half this game and hate the other half.

It's actually quite frustrating as it feels to me like some tweaks and changes are all that it would take to get me to love this game.

Too much loading, badly thought out checkpoints which lead to unnecessary loading, etc. It breaks the pace.

This is combined with a bad ratio of looking at stuff in the world and cutscenes/exposition versus actual gameplay (combat and platforming). I feel like (close to end of Act 4) I've spent very little time playing the game and most of it loading, walking from action section to action section and watching cutscenes or listening to the characters talking.

That's fine for some I guess but I'd never replay the game because of the above. Just too much fluff and not enough meat for me. To be honest even more than the bad ratio it just feels like there isn't enough combat or platforming overall.

I like the setting, story, characters and the mechanics of everything. Platforming could use some work though. Stuff like the
ship
section I found confusing and not fun at all.

I went back to Alan Wake for 10 minutes after my QB session last night and still love that game to bits. Going to go through it again over the next couple of weeks. One of my all time favorites.

jackdoe

Opposite for me, I have a 4k set and it looks fantastic to me. At 4k I turn off AA and tolerate a bit of frames here and there (have it locked at 30) and it looks very good and clean for me. I am thinking of turning shadows down a notch (I have everything on max) and see if I can get a more consistent frame rate that way, but overall it looks really damn good on my rig.
Putting aside the temporal resolution nonsense, the highest resolution the game allows me to set is 1920x1200. Upscaling to 2560x1440 from that resolution on a PC monitor completely kills image quality. How are you even setting the resolution to 4k so it's not a blurry mess on your monitor?

At the final boss. It's hard. Fine. Whatever. I hate it, but whatever, get gud. But it takes so goddamned long just to get back to the point where you can start the fight sequence again. Quantum Break's load times are atrocious and they're especially bad here.

I'm tired of the game encouraging you to be mobile and use your time powers, but then a) throwing tons of people at you, and b) making them all bullet sponges, which makes it a lot easier to run out of time powers at some point and then you're just standing there reloading as slowly as possible while the screen is red and it's like "well time to fucking restart because what the hell can I even do now." Also, charging powers is bullshit when the game doesn't give you any time to do so. I don't think I've managed to get a single time burst off at the people running in during the second phase, even though I KNOW they're coming and I have plenty of time to set up.

I just started and HOLY CRAP this is game is GOOD whooweee!

I'm on PC and the framepacing is terrible and the animation is glitchy but oh my god the shooting feels incredible and the atmosphere is unique and the story is exciting... if this game stays as good as it is now... wow.

Alienous

At the final boss. It's hard. Fine. Whatever. I hate it, but whatever, get gud. But it takes so goddamned long just to get back to the point where you can start the fight sequence again. Quantum Break's load times are atrocious and they're especially bad here.

I'm tired of the game encouraging you to be mobile and use your time powers, but then a) throwing tons of people at you, and b) making them all bullet sponges, which makes it a lot easier to run out of time powers at some point and then you're just standing there reloading as slowly as possible while the screen is red and it's like "well time to fucking restart because what the hell can I even do now." Also, charging powers is bullshit when the game doesn't give you any time to do so. I don't think I've managed to get a single time burst off at the people running in during the second phase, even though I KNOW they're coming and I have plenty of time to set up.

It isn't that hard. Spam time shield, spam time sprint (or whatever it's called), kill
the easier enemies first, leave the tougher ones to last. Run, fire, get shot, time shield, stay in it to regenerate health, repeat. If you aren't in a time shield you shouldn't stop moving

I managed it on Hard (my only playthrough was on Hard) with my second attempt, as I didn't even understand the
boss' death move the first time around. It's just an area of effect thing, it's hard to get hit if you just sprint around the edge of the combat zone

Oh, also: fuck the part where your only method of restoring health is standing still (either behind cover or using the time shield), except if you stand still GIANT RED BALL OF FUCK KILLS YOU DEAD. Fuck that part too.

It isn't that hard. Spam time shield, spam time sprint (or whatever it's called), kill
the easier enemies first, leave the tougher ones to last. Run, fire, get shot, time shield, stay in it to regenerate health, repeat. If you aren't in a time shield you shouldn't stop moving

I managed it on Hard (my only playthrough was on Hard) with my second attempt, as I didn't even understand the
boss' death move the first time around. It's just an area of effect thing, it's hard to get hit if you just sprint around the edge of the combat zone

See above. Time shield is useless because you cannot stay still and the shield collapses if you're not in it (never mind that it doesn't heal you when you're not in it so even if it stayed up it's not much use).

Alienous

Oh, also: fuck the part where your only method of restoring health is standing still (either behind cover or using the time shield), except if you stand still GIANT RED BALL OF FUCK KILLS YOU DEAD. Fuck that part too.

You have so much time. The minute you see red you time sprint in any direction and you'll survive.

See above. Time shield is useless because you cannot stay still and the shield collapses if you're not in it (never mind that it doesn't heal you when you're not in it so even if it stayed up it's not much use).

There's a whole back area of the combat zone where no enemies will bother you. Focus on one enemy at a time, starting with the easiest to kill. Take your time with it. If you get damaged run, time-shield and if you see red dash away in any direction.

You have so much time. The minute you see red you time sprint in any direction and you'll survive.

There's a whole back area of the combat zone where no enemies will bother you. Focus on one enemy at a time, starting with the easiest to kill. Take your time with it. If you get damaged run, time-shield and if you see red dash away in any direction.

I'll try again in a little bit. The enemies aren't really the problem unless I get caught out (which happens a lot, unfortunately). It's the stupid red bursts appearing all the time, and because the enemies don't seem to get anywhere near the back, I don't have the range to hit them. Then I move to the front half of the pool and get killed.

EDIT: Stayed back a lot more, and SUCCESS. I think I lucked out because the heavy with the suppressor bubble machine thing just stayed by the front door and didn't do much. Also, there's no better way to look stupid on GAF than to complain about how hard and dumb a level is only to beat it the very next time you play.

Catdaddy

Zyae

Beat this tonight. Phenomenal game. Pretty close to a masterpiece in my mind. Such a tight cinematic experience.

Hawk269

Beat this tonight. Phenomenal game. Pretty close to a masterpiece in my mind. Such a tight cinematic experience.

Wait until you play it again and choose different things. If you think it is Phenomenal after 1 play through, playing again and choosing different things really will show you how much work Remedy put into this game and how much more story you get out of the game. From the game itself to the movies that play, a lot of things are different and some pretty significant when you choose different paths.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Great video, but you should of done it on a harder difficulty, it looks like you were playing on Easy. Oh and great choice for the level you choose, that is one fantastic looking level in the game. Lighting and the amount of detail is just great.

Well, it is on HARD difficulty, but I replayed a lot of shooting sections, so I'm practically op.

Edit: At one point, you'll get so fast in the game, that you really feel like controlling time. The enemies have no chance then.

Edit2:
gifs from that video:

3SOCyvN.gif

tKPN9eE.gif

pb9J42c.gif

Just finished this on normal. What a phenomenal game. Bravo, Remedy. I missed 5 collectibles in total, if the PC version is ever patched, I'll replay on hard for a 100% run.

leng jai

It really was a poor decision to make the upgrade tokens into a collectible. You'll barely get any if you aren't looking for them and they make a pretty significant difference.

It really was a poor decision to make the upgrade tokens into a collectible. You'll barely get any if you aren't looking for them and they make a pretty significant difference.

Yeah, I missed 3 out of the total 60. Kind of annoying that I couldn't fully upgrade everything without the full 60.

derFeef

I really want to try Quantum Break out on PC for my second playthrough, but I have encountered "error 0x80073CF9" on the Windows 10 store.

In fact, everything is suffering from that now. I can't download a single app from the store. Anyone with this experience?

Same for me, really shitty.

To be fair you get sound and vibration cues when one is near. I still missed some since it's not always clear if you are PAST them or are going to encoutner them, since they also trigger it through walls and such.

Alx

I think the chronon hunt is rather well done, it's not really hard to find them when you know you're supposed to look for them, and they sometimes add light puzzle elements. It actually makes the exploration phases much more interesting. And the timeline makes it easy to go back to levels where you missed one.
My only issue is that the game doesn't let you backtrack in a level, I have missed the same chronon twice because I assumed it was inside a building, but entering it triggered a new section and I couldn't get back outside where it appeared on my radar.

derFeef

Yes that made me go nuts a few times, knowing I left one behind I can't get to anymore.
"nonono, don't trigger the cutscene" argh

In general I liked hunting for them, made me explore more!

This is seriously one of the best games I've ever played. I feel so damn good about it still. I can't wait to get into my second playthrough.

EBE

my opinion keeps souring on this game the more i reflect on it. having played it twice now (currently on a third playthrough to solidify my thoughts on it) i just cant say i find anything engaging about the game. to begin, i dont believe its particularly memorable within the scifi genre. its written well enough, with a time travel logic that is easy to grasp and that doesnt run into major problems with itself, but it doesnt do anything new in that space. i am contrasting this with Alan Wake, which although heavily indebted to and derivative of other horror stories, especially those of stephen king, was a game that played with the ideas of that genre in the kinds of interesting ways only a game can.
nor is the live action portion of the game so interesting to have devoted so many assets to its creation. its a natural progression of Remedy's fixation with cross media story telling, but its one that i feel was ultimately misguided. it simply does not interact with the flow of the game in a manner that feels natural. the live action elements in Alan Wake were there to supplement mood and story in an embedded manner and to heighten the sense of detached or multiple realities, a sort of absurd reflection of the real world in a setting where the lines between fact and fiction, dream and lucidity were blurred. needless to say, they serve no similar purpose in Quantum Break except to divide chapters in a way that feels all too artificial. i think its clear the initial plan of having a show that is affected by and in turn affects a game was too complicated an idea to fully realize. and this is to say nothing of the production value or the acting, which are handily bested by Bright Falls, the short prequel film to Alan Wake which everyone seems to forget about.
id write something about the combat but... its just kind of there. the powers are okay and some of the encounters are cool visually but i think the game is hamstrung by a lack of interesting enemy types. i dont know, maybe ill have more to say when im done with this third playthrough. but yeah... game kinda sucks. idk

Top Bottom